New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2003-09-24 17:41:00

mcshlong
Banned

Re: Mars Mod Update

Hey just a quick update on our Mars Mod Sim. Here are some preliminary models for our upcoming Half Life 2 Mod dubbed Mars Mod. Its just a start. The models are preliminary.

marsmod_pic.gif

Any comments?

Matt
Mars Mod Lead

MARS MOD - Founder and Mission Director
[img]http://marsmod.com/images/head_nasa2.gif[/img]

#2 2003-09-24 22:27:46

Free Spirit
Banned

Great modelling work.  I'm curious why you put the lander in the nose cone.  Are the astronauts going to be receiving friendly guests before they even land?  I haven't played Half-Life, so please forgive if that's a stupid question.    big_smile

My people don't call themselves Sioux or Dakota.  We call ourselves Ikce Wicasa, the natural humans, the free, wild, common people.  I am pleased to call myself that.  -Lame Deer

#3 2003-09-25 07:03:40

TJohn
Banned

mcschlong,

Great pic.  What program are you using to create these pictures?

One day...we will get to Mars and the rest of the galaxy!!  Hopefully it will be by Nuclear power!!!

#4 2003-09-25 19:49:00

mcshlong
Banned

In response to Free Spirit:
Q. I'm curious why you put the lander in the nose cone.

A. What you see there is not a launch vehicle but a spaceship. The nose section of the space ship is meant for aero-braking in the martian atmosphere. Like this:

ref11.jpg
After the parachutes reduce the speed to sub sonic speeds the entry vehicle splits apart and the lander appears. At this point its flown to the surface by an astronaut Apollo style.

In response to TJohn:
Q. Great pic.  What program are you using to create these pictures?
A. Its just a render from my modelling program Maya.

MARS MOD - Founder and Mission Director
[img]http://marsmod.com/images/head_nasa2.gif[/img]

Board footer