New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2022-03-30 11:45:00

tahanson43206

Kelly Postings

http://newmars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?pid=80#p80

Kelly was member #4, immediately after Adrian, in 2001.

In the post above, he revealed 21 years of service in submarines.

His experience (along with that of kbd512) would seem (to me at least) quite valuable as members of this forum attempt to confront the challenges of designing a ** real ** large space vehicle, as compared to a science fiction one.

While Kelly will be 22 years older, if he was in active service, he might still be among the living.

If SpaceNut ever gets around to launching an email contact campaign, this gent would appear to be well qualified to provide useful guidance.

(th)

#2 2022-03-30 17:37:00

SpaceNut
Administrator

Re: Kelly Postings

Those are not the only people in the forum but I can say no more....

#3 2022-03-30 23:45:01

Calliban

I think I may have met the guy.  An ex-sumariner with an interest in fire safety.  He would be pushing 80 now, if he is still around.  I notice he was banned after just five postings.  So was RobS and Lil_Vader.

He is correct about the importance of fire safety in a closed air environment.  Submarine fires are dangerous for exactly this reason.  Even small fires can reduce visibility to effectively zero and require the use of emergency breathing apparatus.  On a submarine, you can surface and vent contaminated air into the environment.  That won't be possible in space.

"Plan and prepare for every possibility, and you will never act. It is nobler to have courage as we stumble into half the things we fear than to analyse every possible obstacle and begin nothing. Great things are achieved by embracing great dangers."

#4 2022-03-31 06:13:33

tahanson43206

For Calliban re #3

To clarify ... this gent was not "banned" in an act of retribution.  The limitations of the software we are using are such that when the Administrator wants to prevent use of an inactive account by a hacker, the only mechanism available is "banning".  I wish we had a category such as "inactive".  There are hundreds of former members who stopped posting for whatever reason.

I'd like to take this opportunity to remind all former (non-hacker) members that we have a mechanism in place to allow you to restore active status.

If you remember your email address from 20 years ago, you simply request a new password at that address.

FluxBB will send you a temporary password.  Log in, change the password back to what you prefer, and you are back.

If you no longer remember the email account, or the company is gone, just write to SpaceNut at the NewMars portal, as described in the Recruiting topic.

It would be good to have members from that earlier time back to help with Large Ship.

We don't need more folks to contribute to discussion of global affairs.  We already have a sufficient flow of those important messages.  What we NEED are contributions that help RobertDyck to move his vision from fantasy to reality.  Knowledge of how to live inside a submarine obtained by ACTUAL service, is better than book larnin' any day.

(th)

#5 2022-04-01 17:54:41

SpaceNut
Administrator

The thresher anniversary of its lose is coming and the men that lost there lives on a sea trials of the ship after it had be worked on are still remembered.

The Thresher sank with 129 men aboard. On 10 April 1963

#6 2022-04-17 18:25:14

SpaceNut
Administrator

Nukes, Nubs And Coners: The Unique Social Hierarchy Aboard A Nuclear Submarine

direct?resize=w2000&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.thedrive.com%2Fcontent%2F2020%2F06%2F32424faf.jpg%3Fquality%3D85%26width%3D1440%26quality%3D70

Living in a machine with over 100 sailors requires a person to be flexible socially and sometimes physically. When sailors report to their first submarine, they are joining a work culture unlike any other. Surrounded by crew members busily moving about tight spaces and narrow walkways, announcements over the circuit boxes, roving watch standers, equipment humming to 400hz fans, it can be anxiety-inducing to any sailor.

So far this is our experience in space as well...

Board footer