New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2022-04-10 11:58:03

tahanson43206

Scott G. Beach Postings

http://newmars.com/forums/viewtopic.php … 147#p39147

This author brought insight to the discussion of the pros and cons of wars and war making.

I was not aware of the citations of breeding males for aggression, but I can certainly see how those behaviors would lead to genetic traits for one or the other inclination.

It seems to me that if such selective breeding is taking place today, the disturbance of global order caused by excessive male aggression might lead to attempts to rein it in.

One way to rein in such traits is to kill off those who possess them.

The argument that ** appears ** to have been made in the topic from 2004, is that selecting offspring for less aggressive traits might have the beneficial effect of creating citizens who work out their differences without violence.

(th)

#2 2022-04-26 13:25:07

tahanson43206

Re: Scott G. Beach Postings

Here's another post by Scott G. Beach that I think deserves a brief moment in the sun in 2022...

http://newmars.com/forums/viewtopic.php … 060#p44060

That debate was taking place 18 years ago ... not much has changed.

However, the discussion reminded me of the central (crucial) problem of effectively using geothermal power ...

In order to gain the benefits of high temperature in the Earth's core, we need a suitable heat sink at the surface.

I'm hoping one or more members of the forum will take a moment to ponder that issue.

We (humans alive in 2022) might be able to benefit from geothermal power, if it could be harnessed in a practical way.

At the moment, I don't see much reason for optimism.  The Earth is warming up as it is, because the energy budget is badly out of whack, and will remain so for the (reasonably) foreseeable future.

Deep space offers a 1 degree Kelvin heat sink, but (alas) we have a thick atmosphere between us and that near-infinite resource.

(th)

#3 2022-06-21 08:00:11

tahanson43206

An email arrived today from Scott G. Beach, at the NewMarsMember portal!

An invitation to reactivate the ID is on offer. For SpaceNut ... please note that the ID Scott G. Beach might be unbanned.

Plasma Reactors and the Settlement of Mars
Inbox

scottbeach@mac.com
Jun 20, 2022, 11:42 AM (22 hours ago)
to me

Dear New Mars Member:

I was a New Mars contributor several years ago.  I am writing to you now to bring the SAFIRE Project to your attention.

The members of the SAFIRE Project succeeded in their efforts to build a "plasma reactor" that simulates "the atmosphere of the sun in a laboratory on Earth".  The reactor can produce about 14 times more energy than is needed to operate the reactor.  If the plasma reactor can be commercialized then the cost of energy will be greatly reduced.  And then it will be much easier to build permanent human settlements on Mars. 

Please see the following websites:
https://www.safireproject.com
https://aureon.ca

Sincerely, Scott G. Beach

(th)

#4 2022-06-21 08:07:46

tahanson43206

It turns out that Scott G. Beach and Scott Beach are the same person.

I've written to the one who wrote us today, to ask which account might be preferred to resume participating in the forum.

Or! both accounts can be put back into service, if Scott creates an email for Scott G. Beach.

(th)

#5 2022-06-21 08:16:11

tahanson43206

Scott Beach most recently posted in 2017, with suggestions to consider the University of Central Florida for Mars development.

Using the ID Scott Beach, Scott created 6 pages of posts.

Using the ID Scott G. Beach, Scott created 288 posts, the most recent of which was in 2005.

(th)

#6 2022-06-29 06:23:08

tahanson43206

Now that Scott Beach has returned to the forum, I thought it might be interesting to see what he wrote 20 years ago.

It turns out that Scott has created three accounts over the year.... ScottGBeach, Scott G. Beach and Scott Beach.

ScottGBeach published just three posts, one of which was a draft constitution for Mars.

Scott G. Beach continued discussion (and debate) about a constitution for Mars.

The author of that time seemed to be advocating the elimination of weapons.

In the United States of 2022, it seems as though the trend is toward more and more powerful weapons in the hands of less and less responsible individuals.

There are a grand total of 3 + 288 + 138 posts by all the Scott Beach's, if anyone has the time to find out how any of them solve the problem of keeping weapons out of Mars.

(th)

#7 2022-06-29 22:17:03

SpaceNut
Administrator

I see that the issues for the other accounts happened with forum crashes, and each has a different email contained with them.

#8 2024-01-23 07:21:14

tahanson43206

Nice to see this update by Scott Beach ....

http://newmars.com/forums/viewtopic.php … 70#p218670

It would be interesting to see what happened to the plasma work that was cited at the start of the topic.

Update a few minutes later ... It appears this ** is ** an update on the Safire project....

My first impression from watching a bit of the video, is that ** someone ** has invested a ** lot ** of money in this facility.

I am hoping to find time to watch more later.

I asked Google about Safire Project and found it has 9 (nine) categories of items about Safire

One of the categories is "safire project debunked" .... There is even a Wikipedia entry.

The claim of replication of the Siun's plasma seems reasonable to me. The Sun has a ** lot ** of plasma and I expect it exists there in a great variety of configurations, so humans might be able to replicate one of a nearly infinite number of possible configurations.

The claim of obtaining more energy out that was invested to create the plasma seems highly unlikely, which may account for the "debunked" category.

This activity seems to be related to the "Electric Universe" theory ... It appears that a lot of interest exists in this set of ideas.

It reminds me of "String Theory" ... a tremendous effort has been made in developing String Theory but not a single experiment has yielded evidence that there is anything to it.

The underlying ambition, to try to develop a non-fossil energy supply, seems well worth while even if the theory is speculative.

The Universe will reveal it's secrets through experiment, regardless of the theory driving the experiment.

(th)

Board footer