New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2022-02-03 12:32:05

tahanson43206

Palomar Postings

There are many posts by Palomar (Cindy) in the NewMars archive.

This one struck me as representative of the thoughtful quality of many of them.

There are lots of lighthearted posts in the collection.

http://newmars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?pid=2733#p2733

On raising children on Mars and not needing guns.

Hopelessly idealistic, of course. 

(th)

#2 2022-02-09 11:39:10

tahanson43206

Re: Palomar Postings

Here's another post by Palomar (Cindy) ... it was on the screen at the end of today's repair run.

http://newmars.com/forums/viewtopic.php … 300#p21300

Cindy is thinking here about the second generation on Mars.

(th)

#3 2022-02-09 14:59:50

RobertDyck
Website

tahanson43206: I live in Canada. Handguns are highly regulated. You can own a handgun, but it's not for personal defence, it's for target shooting only. You have to get a license from the government to posses one, then need another permit each and every time you purchase one. Your guns must be stored in a secure location (gun safe), unloaded, and with a trigger lock. To transport a handgun it must be stored in a locked gun case, unloaded, with a trigger lock. That gun case must be in a locked truck, locked glove compartment, or other locked compartment of your vehicle. Regulations used to require you drive directly from your home to the gun range, without stopping, but now stopping for gas is allowed.

Crimes with handguns are very rare. That doesn't mean there's no crime, just that criminals don't use guns. Guns used for crime are mostly smuggled from the United States.

Until 1975 police did not carry a side arm. They did carry a night stick and handcuffs. Today with a taser and pepper spray, police don't need a handgun, but for some reason they still carry one. We had a greater problem: the former police chief for Toronto is not a federal cabinet minister. He got the government to authorize police to carry a carbine, specifically an M16. Often called a machine gun. Yes, that's fully automatic. That should not be allowed. Police departments in Canada have tactical squat, equivalent to SWAT in the US. They can have special weapons, but average police should not. There's no way you could justify issuing a weapon of war to police.

What I want for Canada is to take away any firearm from beat cops, cruiser cars, etc. Only tactical squad allowed to have them. Regular police can carry tasers and pepper spray; non-lethal weapons.

And yes, we can do that on Mars. So I agree with Cindy.

#4 2022-03-02 12:35:34

tahanson43206

Here is another post by Palomar that showed up during Post Repair

http://newmars.com/forums/viewtopic.php … 359#p27359

This one seemed worth bringing back into view, because Benjamin Franklin is one of my favorite characters from American history.  Cindy describes her impressions from a video/documentary published ca 2002.

(th)

#5 2022-03-03 02:06:49

clark

Great if Cindy wants to skip; i think we can all just assume we understand the collective works of Voltaire

#6 2022-05-23 11:16:08

tahanson43206

Here's another post by Palomar that may  be of interest to some members in 2022...

The post is about the creation and delivery of a gigantic cheese to Thomas Jefferson, upon the occasion of his reelection. 

http://newmars.com/forums/viewtopic.php … 022#p52022

(th)

#7 2022-05-23 11:57:47

Mars_B4_Moon

Palomar (Cindy) to me easily was one of the greater posters on newmars, a very well rounded person that added huge material to this and the old forum.
The last interesting topic I might have seen that was her in a discussion is 'Sagan City - what will be there?' I assume Palomar-7 and Palomar are the same person.
I'm not sure who has left or who is still around, I was missing from the forum a few years after the crash. There were users here before I joined and some people go back before the days of the old ikon board to an even earlier version of the Mars forum so I'm not sure who has come and gone think Cindy may have returned as Palomar7 user?
https://newmars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=8193&p=2

The crazy mindset could spread to Mars?
''Mr President we have a Space Pistol Gap!''

I agree with the idea that having guns on a vulnerable space colony or Mars Biodome seems like a silly idea, its like bringing a grenade onto a happy Cruise Ship with everyone chilled having a party or like having a crazy guy come with a Gun into an Aircraft, in my mind that stuff seems ridiculous and won't fly. I understand there might be some sort of special circumstance for example Russians in the early days of their Soviet Space Program would issue a type of gun, Toz-82 or TP-82, its a weird looking gun like a mix of a small shotgun or big pistol, I understand it had three shots and a knife stuck on top like one of those old WW1 trench warfare guns. I believe Alexey Leonov once landed 600 miles off course and the gun was something a Cosmnaut could rely on for 'protection' big enough punch to seriously hurt a 1,000-pound brown bear. The blade of the gun could be used for cutting branches for burning wood or to slice bricks out of impacted snow to create shelter or melted liquid water. I also understand in its early days they were not 100% sure where Spacecraft would land, they could go off course and land near the North Pole or Mongolia and China or Siberia. Black Bears, Wolves, Polar Bears, Tigers, your cosmonaut after surviving re-entry would face another danger on the ground. We would like to hope humans are more evolved, that we have better options and learn to live next to each other, we compete with each other in friendly ways, help each other, however the reality of mankind is good but also violent. Man comes with goodness but also stories with Wars the past year and yet war these past decades in Iraq, Syria, Ukraine you wonder will mankind or humanity always have its darker bloody half, will there always be some bad guy, fearful people who want their own sheriffs, a radical blowing up a nation and rookie cops and soldier, I think peace is a noble concept and great idea yet the reality of mankind shows our darker half with greed and poverty and crime and war. Even if mankind is suddenly going to be 'peaceful' sometimes nature itself is violent, would you rather 'debate' with a Wolf or Crocodile or would you rather have a gun? I would hope Mars does not need guns.

EDIT

I found a write up on the gun

https://weapons.fandom.com/wiki/TP-82

TP-82 cosmonaut (space men) survival weapon was born out of experience, gained by the crew of the Soviet space mission Voskhod-2, which took place in 1965. The landing capsule of the Voskhod-2, with two cosmonauts (space men) onboard, made emergency landing deep in the winter taiga forest.

Last edited by Mars_B4_Moon (2022-05-23 12:30:56)

Board footer