New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2008-05-15 06:38:39

cIclops

Re: Local superonva remnant dated to about 1870

E976A0F2-A957-4872-0D2741474C39228C_1.jpg

Remains of 140-Year-Old Supernova Discovered - 14 May 2008

Astronomers have discovered traces of a star that went supernova about 140 years ago, around the time of the U.S. Civil War and the publication of Charles Darwin's The Origin of Species. The expanding debris cloud, or remnant, known as G1.9+0.3, lies near the center of the Milky Way, about 25,000 light-years from Earth.

Besides making G1.9+0.3 the youngest supernova remnant known in our galaxy, the finding begins to fill a peculiar astronomical gap. Based on studies of other galaxies, researchers estimate that about three supernovae should pop off per century in the Milky Way. They knew of one recent remnant, Cassiopeia A, which went supernova around 1680.

Researchers first identified G1.9+0.3 as a supernova remnant in 1985, using the National Science Foundation's Very Large Array (VLA), a sprawling network of radio telescopes in Soccoro, N.M. They estimated its age at 400 to 1,000 years old.

More than 20 years later, in 2007, a team observing the remnant via NASA's orbiting Chandra X-Ray Observatory found that it had grown by a surprising 16 percent, implying that the object was younger than they thought. When researchers checked double-checked using VLA, they got the same result, published in twin papers in The Astrophysical Journal Letters and Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society.

Despite the supernova's timing, contemporaries of Lincoln and Darwin would have missed it, because dust and gas surrounding the dying star would have blocked the flash of visible light. The expanding gas cloud shines brightly, however, in radio and x-ray frequencies.

G1.9+0.3 may be the tip of the iceberg. "If the supernova rate estimates are correct, there should be the remnants of about 10 supernova explosions in the Milky Way that are younger than Cassiopeia A," said David Green of the University of Cambridge in England, leader of the VLA study, in a statement. "It's great to finally track one of them down."

[color=darkred]Let's go to Mars and far beyond -  triple NASA's budget ![/color] [url=irc://freenode#space]  #space channel !! [/url] [url=http://www.youtube.com/user/c1cl0ps]   - videos !!![/url]

#2 2008-05-15 13:55:49

JoshNH4H
Website

but they must mean that the light arrived at earth first 140 years ago.

-Josh

#3 2008-05-15 14:38:41

cIclops

They say it "went supernova about 140 years ago" so yes that's ERT (Earth receive Time)

As it's 25,000 LY away, the light would have been traveling for all that time before it could have been detected on Earth, but no one detected it until 1985 - about 120 years after the first photons arrived.

[color=darkred]Let's go to Mars and far beyond -  triple NASA's budget ![/color] [url=irc://freenode#space]  #space channel !! [/url] [url=http://www.youtube.com/user/c1cl0ps]   - videos !!![/url]

#4 2008-05-16 08:38:04

Vincent
Banned

cIclops said

They say it "went supernova about 140 years ago" so yes that's ERT (Earth receive Time)

As it's 25,000 LY away, the light would have been traveling for all that time before it could have been detected on Earth, but no one detected it until 1985 - about 120 years after the first photons arrived.

Now I like to, “relax,” and look into the telescope as much as the next man. Now how is that for political correctness?

Now your siffering is impressive but we still got a few n’s in the equation. The last time I checked them there photons do not always travel in a straight line. They may be bent or redirected by them there gravitational fields.

Now I called my cousin  Bubba in West Virginia and he aint much let me tell you. He got expelled from the third grade and never went back He said this thing is in the center of the galaxy and it is obscured in Noise. I ask him what he is talking about and he said that them there photons can be beaten to death until they are no longer visible in the visible light spectrum. Well I don’t know about all of that. His cousin Jethro says he can tell atmospheric make-up and temperature by solar transit of a planet 100 light years away. Take the jug away please.

I am with you brother, I think it is a straight shot from the center of the galaxy to us. I recon I will do anything for a groaner.

Vincent

Argument expected.
I don't require agreement when presenting new ideas.

-Dana Johnson

#5 2008-05-17 02:12:53

cIclops

The last time I checked them there photons do not always travel in a straight line. They may be bent or redirected by them there gravitational fields.

Now I called my cousin  Bubba in West Virginia and he aint much let me tell you. He got expelled from the third grade and never went back He said this thing is in the center of the galaxy and it is obscured in Noise. I ask him what he is talking about and he said that them there photons can be beaten to death until they are no longer visible in the visible light spectrum. Well I don’t know about all of that. His cousin Jethro says he can tell atmospheric make-up and temperature by solar transit of a planet 100 light years away. Take the jug away please.

I am with you brother, I think it is a straight shot from the center of the galaxy to us. I recon I will do anything for a groaner.

Yep, photons are affected by gravitational fields. If they travel near big fields they followed a curved path. Several objects have been discovered that do this, they're called gravitational lenes. As far as I know none have been found in the local galaxy. There is a super massive black hole in the galactic center, but no lensing has been seen - probably because it's too near.

The frequency of photons is affected by the velocity of the source, this is a one off effect. Frequency is also changed on the cosmological scale by the expansion of space - the famous red shift - this won't affect photons traveling inside the local galaxy.

Yes again, exoplanet atmospheres have been detected and spectroscopically analysed during transits.

#6 2008-05-19 11:09:12

Vincent
Banned

Just as we think we know it all then damn, It slaps us in the face.

Vincent

http://news.aol.com/story/_a/astronomer … 3609990002

Argument expected.
I don't require agreement when presenting new ideas.

-Dana Johnson

#7 2022-01-06 20:44:50

Mars_B4_Moon

Death throes of a giant star witnessed by scientists for the first time ever
https://krdo.com/news/2022/01/06/death- … time-ever/

Supernova of red supergiant star caught on film for the first time
https://news.yahoo.com/death-throes-red … 26872.html

Precursor Emission, Envelope Inflation, and Enhanced Mass Loss Preceding the Luminous Type II Supernova 2020tlf
https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.3 … 357/ac3f3a

We present panchromatic observations and modeling of supernova (SN) 2020tlf, the first normal Type II-P/L SN with confirmed precursor emission, as detected by the Young Supernova Experiment transient survey.

Board footer