New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: This forum is accepting new registrations by emailing newmarsmember * gmail.com become a registered member. Read the Recruiting expertise for NewMars Forum topic in Meta New Mars for other information for this process.

#176 2003-09-05 08:13:26

sethmckiness
Banned

Re: Apropos of Nothing

Anyone else heard the song....

"All I want is Bang Bang Bang!"

We are only limited by our Will and our Imagination.

#177 2003-09-05 09:01:21

Palomar

Anyone else heard the song....

"All I want is Bang Bang Bang!"

Nope, i didn't, and i'm glad. But as Cindy once said (*cough cough*), the human species will literally f*** itself to death. Whatever. candle.gif

*BGD, what a cute emoticon!  Where did you get it, to include it in your post?  I like it.

Actually what I said (relative to your quoting me) was my fear that the human race might eventually f**k itself to death...and that comment  was relative to the rise in AIDS cases and the general apathetic attitude concerning it.

Now, back to my bag of salty popcorn with a handful of peanut M & Ms thrown in...BREAKFAST!!!   :laugh:

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#178 2003-09-05 10:02:16

clark

Tra-la-la-de-da
They upped my lithium dose!
Tra-la-la-de-da

Well boys and girls,
American folks,
and foreign blokes,
neither near nor far away,
your shadow puppet of ill repute and despicable fame,
has gone off on holiday.
A quick little jaunt from local haunts,
that has left me wandering far from my cave.

Without much ado, I ask how are you,
the wife, the kids, your health and so,
all the rest left only implied.
I?m fine, a line, but still the truth,
for such is the blessing of this clime.

Now with our assorted sundries long out to dry,
I wish to share a piece of pie,
of visions abounding rebounding about.

Now you may say, ?you?re quir today?,
and for that I cannot deny.
But follow along; I?m not to far gone,
to recount this world of today!

In olden times of yesterday,
where newspapers lie in wait,
I see a line, a paragraph too,
of stories yet to be.

Of improper lords from fallen grace,
to new found kings who stole the race,
one simply cannot help but laugh with joy.
Jokers and clowns,
cost dollars and pounds,
but leaders are free kicks in the seat.

Then there are those,
who declare with glee,
that others are out to simply, ?get me?;
pointing to so empty skies far above.

So then we gather, or rather,
after rounds of the late night blather,
that the time to act is now?
well, then, or so it would seem.

So far away, on some other day,
long after fear has gone away.
Some other fellows,
charged with manning our bellows,
get sent charging headlong into the fray.

Come victory, comes triumph,
comes long lines of parades,
filled with smiling strangers, waving at new days;
but same days, like Mondays,
are still only a week away.

Yet in a strange twist of fate,
at least as of late,
a new story is being born.

While actor?s lead and leaders act,
blasting each other for what they are,
a civilian rises up on high,
leading an army to winning war.

But as the victory is all but assured,
the peace now won looks to be in doubt,
so who is sent to let loose the doves,
but a general from our last previous bout!

Such are the times we now do live,
such is the curse the Chinese give,
so be good, not bad, for all mothers look on,
lets make them proud, lets all just get along.

Tra-la-la-de-da
Back to the cave with me, happy as can be!
Tra-la-la-de-da

#179 2003-09-05 10:03:04

George H

Now, back to my bag of salty popcorn with a handful of peanut M & Ms thrown in...BREAKFAST!!!   :laugh:

--Cindy

is somebody pregnant?.... !

#180 2003-09-05 12:23:44

Palomar

Leopold's Music

*Wolfgang Mozart's father was also an accomplished musician and a composer.  Big surprise (not)!  smile  Some of Leopold's music has been preserved and is available on the CDs advertised above.  I haven't yet heard his music (I am preparing to place my order today).

A member of my "Age of Voltaire" group informed me of the availability of Leopold's music, and I finally tracked down a site which sells it.

A portrait of Leopold:

http://www.ccc.commnet.edu/stuweb/~solo … opold1.jpg

-

Leopold, with children Wolfgang and Nannerl:

http://www.unlv.edu/mozart/nannerl.jpg

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

#181 2003-09-06 05:25:33

Palomar

*I can't believe it.  Last night around 9:00 p.m., my husband and I drove past a city park approximately 3 blocks away from our home.  It was packed with cars; an event was going on over a PA system -- music, a female announcer, cheers from the crowd, etc.

At 5:08 a.m. I started my work day (10 minutes ago):  I cranked open the window while starting the computer:  The rally in the park is still going on!  sad  All night long!  In a residential area!  The park is abutted on 3 sides by private homes and apartment complexes.  Right now there's old-time rinky-tink saloon-style music being played and I can hear the lady on the PA system saying "Wonderful!  That's great!" and people yelling.

My god.  I'm glad I don't live next to Young Park!  What a boneheaded, moronic thing.  Just when I thought this city was crawling out of its decades-long isolation-induced stupidity...

Never thought I'd hear "Play that Funky Music White Boy" streaming from a city park at 5:08 a.m...I guess there IS a first time for everything.  Poor people living next door are getting no sleep -- much less sleeping in on their weekend.

--Cindy

#182 2003-09-06 08:00:37

Palomar

*I just found out that the rally in Young Park will be a 3-day NONSTOP event.  Right now (7:54 a.m.) there's a man yelling over the microphone; he sounds like a preacher (probably not a preacher, but sounds like one).

Wow, I sure feel sorry for the people living next to the park; 3 days of loud, blaring music and people hollering into the microphone -- what a great Monday morning they are going to have, being sleep deprived for 72 hours straight.

It'd be nice if we suddenly got a downpouring of torrential monsoonal rains...or if, say, an unattended Mack truck slipped a gear, rolled downhill and crashed into an electrical pole, killing all juice to the Park...

I knew the city administration was stupid and inept; I just didn't realize it was to THIS level.

Okay, I'll quit!  sad

--Cindy

#183 2003-09-06 10:20:16

Josh Cryer

What was the rally for?

Some useful links while MER are active. [url=http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/home/index.html]Offical site[/url] [url=http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/MM_NTV_Web.html]NASA TV[/url] [url=http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/mer2004/]JPL MER2004[/url] [url=http://www.spaceflightnow.com/mars/mera/statustextonly.html]Text feed[/url]
--------
The amount of solar radiation reaching the surface of the earth totals some 3.9 million exajoules a year.

#184 2003-09-06 10:47:16

Palomar

What was the rally for?

*I don't know.  I telephoned the police department at 5:10 a.m., when absolutely stymied that this was still going on (as I've never heard or known of an all-night and loud event being held in a public park in a residential neighborhood), although not to make a formal complaint (I figured that was up to the folks whose homes abutt the park); I called the cop shop out of sheer curiosity.  The lady dispatcher said she didn't know what precisely the event was for, nor did someone else in the office she asked.

::shrugs::

It seems to be over now, for the past 1-1/2 hours.  I wonder if someone finally DID complain.

I'm just glad we're 3 blocks away...and even then, I could actually understand words being said from this distance, sans the sound of our bedroom fan.  sad

--Cindy

#185 2003-09-06 10:53:02

Palomar

Now that you tell me, I remember that some people told me that the pyramid+eye thing on the 1 dollar bill was a satanic sign. Whatever...

Eye_anim.gif

*Just because a symbol -- or, in this case, symbols -- are not JudeoChristian in origin doesn't mean they are "satanic."

Freemasonry has nothing to do with Satanism.  A check on Google for Anton LaVey, Church of Satan, Freemasonry, etc., should provide insights for you.

And I'm not interested in pursuing this as a topic of discussion...sorry.

By the way, BGD, you are cross-posting about these symbols.  It started in this thread, you carried it into the "New Discoveries *2*" thread (where you received a few answers), and now you're back in this thread with the topic.  It's no big deal smile but it's going to get confusing here soon.

--Cindy  cool  smile

#186 2003-09-07 14:59:07

sethmckiness
Banned

Quote ("somebody @ somewhere")
In the hospital the relatives gathered in the waiting room, where their family member lay gravely ill. Finally, the doctor came in looking tired and somber.

"I'm afraid I'm the bearer of bad news" he said as he surveyed the worried faces.

The doctor was a male though...

I'm confused

LoL

We are only limited by our Will and our Imagination.

#187 2003-09-08 08:35:23

clark

I worship the great teddy bear god, Frummpers.

#188 2003-09-09 11:04:05

Palomar

*Boy, am I ever craving a chicken pot pie {mouth watering}.  I think I'll have my husband pick up a few to pop into the microwave later.

I've got to have a chicken pot pie!   tongue  And no, I'm not in a maternal way (unfortunately).

--Cindy

P.S.:  Frummpers the Teddy Bear is evil.

#189 2003-09-09 11:08:07

clark

Do not bear false witness to the Great Teddy Bear god, Frummpers!

His one glass eye is all seeing, all knowing.

#190 2003-09-09 11:13:55

Palomar

Do not bear false witness to the Great Teddy Bear god, Frummpers!

His one glass eye is all seeing, all knowing.

*Frummpers the Teddy Bear is Of The Devil!

No, scratch that:  Frummpers -is- Satan! 

Bwa-ha-ha-HA! (evil laughter in the background)

--Cindy

#191 2003-09-09 11:21:22

clark

Frummpers, the Great Teddy Bear god, with one glass eye, all seeing, all knowing, commands the dark corners of your mind.

He knows of all the cowering souls within, beneath sheets, clenching the failing flashlights against the tide of night.

Only Frummpers, guardian, judge, and punisher of those who know they deserve it, can protect you. In his soft velvety muzzle is salvation! To turn from Frummpers gray fur is damnation!

All beware, for Frummpers, the Great Teddy Bear God, rises!

#192 2003-09-09 11:28:41

Palomar

Frummpers, the Great Teddy Bear god, with one glass eye, all seeing, all knowing, commands the dark corners of your mind.

To turn from Frummpers gray fur is damnation!

Bring it on, Frummpers!  I shall remain defiant to the end!

--Cindy

#193 2003-09-09 11:37:20

clark

The Great Teddy Bear God Frummpers is already here.

To defy Frummpers, is to defy yourself, for Frummpers is the Great Teddy Bear God, bringing everlasting dreams to the frightened souls of the night!

They say to light a nite-light is to guide him closer to your heart!

#194 2003-09-09 12:51:35

clark

I just got back from the future, and boy, are we all in for a surprise!

#195 2003-09-09 13:03:48

Josh Cryer

Did auxons cover the face of the moon and Mars, and provide humanity with endless labor so she may bask in her own laziness?

Some useful links while MER are active. [url=http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/home/index.html]Offical site[/url] [url=http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/MM_NTV_Web.html]NASA TV[/url] [url=http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/mer2004/]JPL MER2004[/url] [url=http://www.spaceflightnow.com/mars/mera/statustextonly.html]Text feed[/url]
--------
The amount of solar radiation reaching the surface of the earth totals some 3.9 million exajoules a year.

Board footer