New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2021-10-20 09:48:30

NewMarsMember

ZoomSessionOpen

The NewMars Zoom Meeting service will be opened as needed.

It is possible a session may be opened for testing.

(th)

Recruiting High Value members for NewMars.com/forums, in association with the Mars Society

#2 2021-10-20 09:49:43

NewMarsMember

Re: ZoomSessionOpen

A Zoom Test service is open Wednesday, at 3:45 UTC.

The service is unattended.  Anyone may connect and leave a chat message.

https://us05web.zoom.us/j/*******700?pw … RvOGxMdz09

The session is only open for 40 minutes from the start time above.

it will expire at UTC 15:45 + 40 so 16:25

(th)

Last edited by NewMarsMember (2021-10-20 10:08:02)

Recruiting High Value members for NewMars.com/forums, in association with the Mars Society

#3 2021-10-20 10:07:31

RobertDyck
Website

Is that 3:45pm UTC? That would be 10:45am Central Daylight Time. That's 20 minutes ago. When I click the link, the Zoom web page says invalid meeting ID.

#4 2021-10-20 10:11:42

NewMarsMember

For RobertDyck ...

Thanks for testing the link!

I suspect that the problem you encountered is due to my having continued using the Chromebook for other activity.

I'll finish my daily update and open another session and this time, I'll ** leave ** the session in place.

My apology for having to subject you (and anyone else who might have tried) ... I put this down to the learning curve for the free version.

(th)

#5 2021-10-20 10:29:08

tahanson43206

Per feedback from RobertDyck, I closed the first session and am opening another.

This time, I will use the "Invite" button to generate the ID and password ...

OK ... Meeting ID is 846 6493 5401
Password is case sensitive: Yaq3Hn

Repeating: Yaq3Hn

OK ... the test session is running and I will leave it alone.  Start time was 16:24 UTC

Update at 12:33 from Zoom Studio (with backdrop in place)

The session is open and working.  The Meeting ID worked, and the password worked.

The meeting ** should ** be open for anyone to test, for (about) 30 more minutes.

Update at 16:40 UTC (I have the current UTC playing in a screen) https://time.is/UTC

The session is open and chat was entered from both sessions.

So! Given the limitation of 40 minutes, here is what I ** think ** we need to do.

1) Specify a date, time and agenda
2) Host opens session at requested time and publishes ID and PW on NewMars in this topic
3) All attendees connect as soon as possible
4) Meeting lasts as long as the free timer permits

If someone (or a group) would like to sponsor a first tier paid membership, the cost is $150 for a year.

Apparently is is also possible to subscribe for a month.

Update as 17:08 UTC ...

The session is lasting more than 40 minutes ... It was opened at 16:24 UtC, and it should have expired at 17:04 UtC.

I'll leave it open to see how long it lasts.

Update at 17:25 UTC ... the session is still open ... it is after normal working hours in Greenwich, I would assume.

Update at 17:47 UtC ... the session is still open ... it has lasted from open time of:  16:24 UTC >> 17:47 UTC 

Is there anyone from Europe who wants to test?  The session seems to be lasting far longer than the advertised 40 minutes.

The session is still going at 18:13 UTC  The average European would (presumably) be home from work by now.

Update at 19:48 UTC ... the session is still going .... It would be approaching time for evening TV entertainment in Europe.

Update at 20:53 UTC ... the session is still going .... in a few minutes the work day will be coming to an end for US East Coast residents.

It is hard for me to believe this session has persisted so long ... perhaps it is because only two "people" are registered.

If the session holds up long enough, our Texas residents may be off work and able to test it.

The session timed out at 23:00 UTC ... it held up for all those hours as long as only two participants were present.

With a successful connection by RobertDyck, I am reassured that this method will work.

If we come up with $150 (US) for the connection for a year, then we'll be able to take advantage of the no-time-out feature, as well as other benefits of the paid service.

(th)

#6 2021-10-20 17:00:02

RobertDyck
Website

Shall I quote a comedy skit from 1980? The topic for today is beer!
tumblr_ptkqtjSQXm1r4pxavo1_500.gifv
Ok, Americans may know be familiar with this. Especially since it's so old. Has that much time really passed? Anyway, Canadian broadcast regulations required a certain minimum number of minutes of air time with a Canadian director, Canadian actors, etc. The program "SCTV" had an episode with not enough Canadian content, so they made up a short skit with as many Canadian icons as possible. They made it cheesy and silly, the point was to fit government regulations. But it was so popular it became a running skit.

But I'm logged on, I can hear you but have a "Back Soon" sign up. You asked for agenda. So I immediately thought of the McKenzie brothers filling the entire time slot bickering over the topic.
Eg)
Doug (guy on the right): The topic for today is beer!
Bob (on the left): How do you get to pic the topic?
etc

#7 2021-10-20 17:03:40

RobertDyck
Website

As soon as we start talking, it cuts off. How frustrating.

#8 2021-10-20 17:05:05

tahanson43206

For RobertDyck!  Thanks for giving the Zoom connection a try.

The automatic timeout occurred when the system detected three participants.

Apparently two participants can use the free service for ever!

(th)

#9 2021-10-20 17:05:45

RobertDyck
Website

Ok, so set up another meeting and I'll join.

#10 2021-10-20 17:09:01

tahanson43206

My schedule is pretty well booked for this evening (chores and shows to watch).

Shall we try again another day?

(th)

#11 2021-10-20 18:47:42

tahanson43206

For RobertDyck re Zoom Test!  Thanks for confirming that my learning curve is making some progress!

In addition to everything else I've learned, it now appears that the Zoom session will hold up for hours if only two people are connected, but the timer kicks in when a third person joins.  I suspect that if I'd thought to compare your arrival to the shut-down time, it might have been exactly 40 minutes.

Until one of the Team members can spring for an annual subscription, we can make the free version work as long as we keep the meeting to under 40 minutes.

There ** is ** another possibility.

SpaceNut ... would you be willing to check to see if the Mars Society already has a Zoom paid account?  I'd expect they would.

In that case, we would need to find out how to schedule a session.  The distinct advantage is that we would be permitted more attendees if that ever became necessary, and we would NOT have to worry about time out.

It is possible that you (ie, SpaceNut) might be entrusted with the ID and secure password to set up a Zoom session.

At least, that is how it works at the local Computer Society, where the members of the Board all have the trust level to be able to start a Zoom meeting.

(th)

#12 2021-10-21 10:31:49

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut ... would you prefer not to be invited to Zoom meetings?

That is certainly possible, and if that is the case, please just say so and I'll stop inviting you to set up a test session.

You'll need to install Zoom on your laptop.  It should install easily enough.

You can run Zoom in your browser, although I'm not sure about FireFox ... I know it runs in Chrome/Chromium.

Pending your decision to opt out, please note that you can join audio only.  That would be perfectly fine for the purposes of a Lander team meeting.

There is a button at connect time that allows you to control the video camera and microphone.

You can mute or unmute at any time.

Some folks have even used their smart phones to connect audio only.  I presume they can see the images from the Zoom session.

For all... I just confirmed that the free sessions do not persist after they are closed.

While we are operating in Free Zoom mode, I'll have to create a new session just ahead of a meeting, and post the ID and password on the forum.

The countdown clock will begin (apparently) as soon as three participants are present, but 40 minutes should be enough time for most business that might come before the Lander team during the present early stage of the initiative.

If we get a nibble from a potential or prospective funder, one of us will be able to supply the funds needed to move up to basic paid service.

For SpaceNut ... please continue inquiring if Mars Society already has a paid subscription to Zoom, and if you (as Administrator) can use it.

(th)

#13 2021-10-21 17:30:15

tahanson43206

Zoom update ... GW Johnson ** may ** have connected to the NewMars Zoom test session.  He used his "new" laptop.

I suggested he consider calling a Zoom meeting this weekend, when SpaceNut will (hopefully) be at home and (perhaps) able to connect.

I will look for a message from GW Johnson suggesting a meeting time, and will then set up the meeting by posting the ID and password on the forum.  It would be an open meeting, so any forum member who would care to do so could connect.

The only limitation (I am aware of) is that the meeting has a timer that expires after 40 minutes.

The timer (apparently) starts when the third participant connects.

At this point, the only agenda that seems likely is for GW Johnson to update the group on his recent contact with Deltion.

(th)

#14 2021-10-21 18:01:12

SpaceNut
Administrator

I am currently unable to participate in the zooms sessions but keep it up as we are becoming a very solid team.

#15 2021-10-21 18:08:25

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #14.... thanks for feedback re Zoom!  If anything changes let us know.

We'll be able to keep you informed with meeting notes, assuming I can coordinate note taking with trying to coordinate the meeting.  Plus!  The chat service provides a way for participants to document links and other data for the record.

(th)

#16 2021-11-28 18:54:37

tahanson43206

The Zoom Meeting for 1 AM UTC is open at 00:54:12 ...

I'll open a second session just before 1 AM UTC.

Second workstation is open at 00:59 ...

The meeting is under way ... attending are:

GW Johnson
kbd512
RobertDyck
tahanson43206

(th)

Board footer