New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#76 2003-08-08 09:14:16

clark

Re: FUN!  Martian Contitution Collaboration - This looks like a lot of fun.

Ah, the Patriot speaks!  big_smile

We can't have a world government. Or should i say, one government to rule the whole planet of mars is a EXTREMLEY absurd idea.

Some people once said man couldn't fly. Others said certain people of the earth were unfit to rule themselves becuase of the color of their skin. Then too, there have been some that have suggested that even going to Mars to start a civilization is an extremly absurd idea. Hmmmmm....  :;):

Do you think China or Argentina would like to be ruled by Canadians ?

Well, American friend, do you like being ruled by people from Alaska? Texas? Florida? New York? Taxa... er I mean Massachusets?

I would think that someone who supports the idea of a republic and a democracy might see how a world government is possible.

I'm sure you remember US history and US government from not so long ago, right? US states as soverign nations, beholden to a federal government that is able to resolve disputes, and enforce decisions, upon the members of the Republic.

Why is it so far fetched to push this idea towards a global level? The benefits of such a system, are pretty obvious, well, at least one- how many wars have been fought between the states in the US? Other than the civil war, almost 150 years ago, none.

Something to think about.  big_smile

#77 2003-08-31 11:22:17

Surferosad

Re: FUN!  Martian Contitution Collaboration - This looks like a lot of fun.

About the Martian Military idea (I'm not sure if it's really needed, but anyway, here's an idea):

Why not restrict its field of action?  It could be a purely orbital or spatial force i. e. it wouldn't be equipped (and it wouldn't be allowed) to set foot on Mars (they could go down to Mars, but only off duty and without any weapons).  On the Martian surface and atmosphere, only local militias (that could be organized similarly to NATO, to keep rivalries to a strict minimum and to ensure that they would be able to collaborate, if needed) would be allowed to operate.

Board footer