New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2003-08-26 20:30:55

mcshlong
Banned

Re: Exploritory Team For Mars Expedition Simulation - Mars Expedition Sim

Hi guys. I am posting an email that I sent out to a few people concerning a project related to Mars exploration. I thought I would post a copy here for your information and in case there was a visitor that might be interested. Thanks Matt
Hiya,
I am currently trying to form a small team to evaluate the feasability of using the future Half Life 2 engine to simulate a manned Mars Mission. I am a 39 year old engineer (who lives in Missouri) with experiance in programming. You are being contacted becuase of your knowledge in either 3d modelling (or Mars exploration), and you are invited to join the exploritaory team. This is differant then being invited to join the production team. The exploritory team will be in existance for 1 month (or so) and should not take up much of your time, since most of the communication will be through emails.

I am hoping that either your interest in the movie making capability of the engine itself, or the manned Mars mission itself will entice you to help our fledgling effort out. Ultimately the goal of this exploritory team will be to determine if it would be possible to simulate such a Mars Mission using 3d game technology (and if so if such a thing would be desirable).

However, do to the Mars Expedition Simulations scope, I feel this might be something more then just a Half Life 2 mod. The Half Life 2 powerfull (and free) rendering engine may allow us to construct every phase of the manned mission using high poly models. Well basically the power of gaming engines has advanced to the point where highly detailed working models are possible. Untimately this may allow the production of a very fun and exciting trip to Mars simulation, showcasing the technology and the art. Perhaps even using the Mars Direct or Nasa reference mission plans for the mission. In doing so we may be able to create something inspiring to us all.

The scope of this thing would include using 3d models to simulate the manned mission in a 3d rendering engine (half life 2 is exactly the right tool) but in a online multiplayer format. This means you could join a game online and pick up a role in the mission, this might include anything from astronaut to flight control technician. Players would take the place of mission control, astronauts, engineers and technicians (on public servers). Voice communication would be included in the game so that all prechecks between (the multiplayer )simulated astronauts, engineers and technicians could be completed.

The game (mod) include:
a) Mission Control Prelaunch Checks, and all Related Engineering, Communication and Control of Mission During the Mission. Including a real to life mission control room, with working engineering systems and monitors
(failure in these areas would result in the mission failures)
b) Launch of all Space Vehicles Required to complete the Mars Direct Mission
c) Flight to Mars
e) Entry, landing
f) Setting up the Mars habitat, including the stay and preperation for the return flight
g) Lift off from Mars
h) Flight to earth
i) Earth Entry

Obviously a big project. Perhaps too ambitious. Yet perhaps possible. I've actually done a project equal in scope to this with just two people in less then a year.

Anyway let me know if your interested in helping evaluate the possibilities (I will post this on a forum or too also and see if we can get some help). This will require only 4 people (including me) who are qualified to create, review and approve a general outline for the project. The group will then be dissolved and the project will either die or proceed.

I think its an intriguing vision. Be a fun game to play online too.

Matthew Pratt
Mod Maker
Metallurgical Engineer

MARS MOD - Founder and Mission Director
[img]http://marsmod.com/images/head_nasa2.gif[/img]

#2 2003-08-26 21:22:41

Algol

is it possible to make short animations using the HL2 engine? On www.redvsblue.com they have done this with the Halo engine and its proving extremely popular. You could use it as a viral marketing tool for your mod.

EDIT: cwenger came on the message board back in january offering his services as a programmer, maybe he can help you?

#3 2003-08-27 18:59:46

mcshlong
Banned

Yes Algol making such a movie is very possible. I actually plan to model some of the launch sequences after the clips from the webpage below.

http://wires.news.com.au/special/mm/mars/mars-rover.htm

They were developed by a fellow by the name of Dan Maas. Lovely work. I'll see if I can't run down cwenger.

Edit
Hmm I don't see cwenger as a member of this forum. Perhaps you were refering to another forum?

#4 2003-08-28 10:28:06

Algol

Im sorry, my bad. Its cwegner.

I have no usefull skills to offer you in programming, but i think its an excellent idea, and would be more than enthusiastic to help beta-test. A lot of mods were made using the original HL engine, many of which proved to be enourmously popular. You could definately be onto a winning idea here, one that could bring the bug for mars exploration to the masses!

Keep me (and us) updated and f you need any help just let me know!

#5 2003-08-30 15:28:56

mcshlong
Banned

I am working on the projects web page now. It looks like the project should likely be a recreation of NASA's "Reference Mission Version 3.0". Which is the latest mission designs released by NASA.

http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/mars/refere … /hem2.html

I know there's a mars direct mission which is kinda supported by the Mars Society. Still looking at the details seems to lead me to lean towards the Reference Mission.

Whats everyone think? Reference Mission Version 3.0 or Mars Direct whats the favorite method ?

Board footer