New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2003-05-18 05:01:03

Jan
Banned

Re: Should Klingon be an official language?

There has been quite some discussion about this topic in the state of Oregon. What do you think.

klingon.jpg

#2 2003-07-10 20:37:16

Ranger_2833
Banned
Website

Ka-plah!  yikes

Just another American pissed off with the morons in charge...

Motto:  Ex logicus, intellegentia... Ex intellegentia, veritas.

#3 2003-07-11 03:23:05

Free Spirit
Banned

Actually he's not kidding.  There are cases where mental patients will speak nothing but Klingon, so the shrinks are searching for people who can translate Klingon into English.  If you google it you can probably find articles about it.

My people don't call themselves Sioux or Dakota.  We call ourselves Ikce Wicasa, the natural humans, the free, wild, common people.  I am pleased to call myself that.  -Lame Deer

#4 2003-08-15 12:16:39

prometheusunbound
Banned
Website

yikes my goodness!

"I am the spritual son of Abraham, I fear no man and no man controls my destiny"

#5 2003-08-24 09:07:20

Ranger_2833
Banned
Website

Thought you might find this funny....  big_smile

Daily Show report: "Clingin' to Klingonese"

Just another American pissed off with the morons in charge...

Motto:  Ex logicus, intellegentia... Ex intellegentia, veritas.

#6 2003-08-26 09:01:49

Palomar

*Erm...well considering Klingons don't actually exist, I voted "no."

I prefer aliens who bathe occasionally...come to think of it, I prefer humans who bathe occasionally as well.  smile

Romulans are my favorite Star Trek "alien" characters.  Strong and sexy; super-intelligent like their Vulcan cousins but having passions same as humans.  Much more refined and elegant than Klingons (but then, it wouldn't take much to be more refined and elegant than Klingons anyway)...

Yeah.  Give me a Romulan any day.

--Cindy

::EDIT::  I just now recalled a post to a newsgroup I read approximately a year ago now.  It was decidedly off-topic, but Klingons became a topic.  One guy questioned (rightfully so) how a barbaric race of people with zero patience could possibly develop such high levels of technology:  The first time something went wrong in the development of a thing, wouldn't a Klingon fly into a temper tantrum and destroy it?

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#7 2003-08-27 06:24:29

Josh Cryer

Star Trek has explained that away by making scientists somewhat more calm and, well, scientific. Of course, Star Trek is known to write in characters and so on without actually, you know, thinking ahead (in other words, they write first explain later), so this explaination is fishy and probably doesn't work. smile

But I can see races having such working structures. The Mote in Gods Eye discusses aliens who have specialized tasks. One kind of creature is an engineer, while others are talkers, and so on. Kind of interesting.

Some useful links while MER are active. [url=http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/home/index.html]Offical site[/url] [url=http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/MM_NTV_Web.html]NASA TV[/url] [url=http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/mer2004/]JPL MER2004[/url] [url=http://www.spaceflightnow.com/mars/mera/statustextonly.html]Text feed[/url]
--------
The amount of solar radiation reaching the surface of the earth totals some 3.9 million exajoules a year.

#8 2003-08-27 07:42:10

clark

I remember being told once by a histoy teacher that the Romans would execute the family of the engineers, and their decendants, if their civil engineering projects failed.

And some of those old Roman aqueducts are still in use today...

#9 2003-08-27 15:45:11

Free Spirit
Banned

I remember being told once by a histoy teacher that the Romans would execute the family of the engineers, and their decendants, if their civil engineering projects failed.

And some of those old Roman aqueducts are still in use today...

Today they just make you kill yourself by suing you for everything your worth.

My people don't call themselves Sioux or Dakota.  We call ourselves Ikce Wicasa, the natural humans, the free, wild, common people.  I am pleased to call myself that.  -Lame Deer

#10 2003-09-28 04:12:13

alokmohan

Somebody may enlighten me on Klington.I am interested.

#11 2003-10-02 08:42:13

Palomar

*Okay, Klingon language experts, I've found a phrase in Klingon (or Klingonese):

Quchjaj qoSlIj!

I know what the phrase means.  Do you?

Yeah:  I'm testing your mettle, you weakling.

I'll provide proof that I know what it means after you have answered.  You've got 10 seconds.

--Cindy  ::brandishing a whip::

:laugh:

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

#12 2003-10-04 05:02:58

alokmohan

cant understand.please help more.

#13 2003-10-04 05:32:15

Palomar

*It's a joke, Alokmohan.  Have you not seen the television show "Star Trek"?  Klingons were a race of space-faring beings in the television show; total fiction.  But with the advent of "Star Trek" movies, "Star Trek: The Next Generation", etc., some fans of the series have become very enthused about Klingons -- to the point of further developing the "Klingon language."  Apparently some people have developed the "language" of these fictional characters to such a point that they want it considered a "real" language.  Hasn't "Star Trek" ever been translated into your native language and shown on Indian tv?  Perhaps "Yankee Cultural Imperialism" isn't as widespread as has been thought.

---

Hmmmmm.  No takers on the Klingon phrase I found.  What a bunch of chickens here.  {bwaaak, bwaaaak, BWAAAA-aaak!}

All these human men...afraid of a Klingon female?

Guess I'll have to start attaching cat-o-nine tails to the tips of my whip.  Come on, now.  What's the answer?  You've got 10 seconds or the whip starts coming down!

And you can prostrate yourself before my feet and kiss my boots in gratefulness for the fact that I give you an additional 10 seconds to figure it out!  :angry:

--Cindy  :laugh:

#14 2003-10-04 22:32:43

George H

Hehe! Your good at role-playing Cindy. It means happy birthday (I got a Klingon dictionery). But you don't have to scare me into kissing your boots, heh.

#15 2003-10-08 05:46:59

alokmohan

*It's a joke, Alokmohan.  Have you not seen the television show "Star Trek"?  Klingons were a race of space-faring beings in the television show; total fiction.  But with the advent of "Star Trek" movies, "Star Trek: The Next Generation", etc., some fans of the series have become very enthused about Klingons -- to the point of further developing the "Klingon language."  Apparently some people have developed the "language" of these fictional characters to such a point that they want it considered a "real" language.  Hasn't "Star Trek" ever been translated into your native language and shown on Indian tv?  Perhaps "Yankee Cultural Imperialism" isn't as widespread as has been thought.

---

Hmmmmm.  No takers on the Klingon phrase I found.  What a bunch of chickens here.  {bwaaak, bwaaaak, BWAAAA-aaak!}

All these human men...afraid of a Klingon female?

Guess I'll have to start attaching cat-o-nine tails to the tips of my whip.  Come on, now.  What's the answer?  You've got 10 seconds or the whip starts coming down!

And you can prostrate yourself before my feet and kiss my boots in gratefulness for the fact that I give you an additional 10 seconds to figure it out!  :angry:

--Cindy  :laugh:

NOW IT IS SO CLEAR ,NICE OF YOU.i AM PREPARED TO.....

Board footer