New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#326 2021-09-06 12:01:53

NewMarsMember

Re: Recruiting expertise for NewMars Forum topics:

The NewMarsMember * gmail.com portal is open for business.

There was new inbound traffic at the Portal this morning. Two messages arrived from GW Johnson for routing.

A request from yesterday is to be completed today.

There are nearly 8 billion people on Earth these days, and several billion have access to the Internet.  This forum is accessible to ** every ** Earth citizen with Internet access.  We ** know ** the site is of interest to spammers! Hopefully it is of interest to others who want to use their time more productively. 

Read Post #2 of this topic for procedures to apply for membership.  Mention specific assistance you wish to provide.

We have 10,900 freshly refurbished User Id's ready for new members, and Id's through  16.700 are waiting for kbd512 to add finishing touches.  We have identified 519 Usernames that may be eligible for upgrade for use by "real" members.

We have multiple initiatives underway that can use assistance, or you can create your own initiative.

The author of a concept for a 17 person expedition to Mars has specifically requested participation by peers to help.

A proposal for an 8 member expedition is in review.

RobertDyck could use assistance of all kinds in development of the Large Ship proposal. There are three animation/drawing systems in play.
Fusion 360 is a version of commercial software by AutoDesk that is available for student non-commercial use. It requires a beefy computer.
Blender is a free animation package that includes drawing capability. 

The Large Ship project may stimulate spinoff activities, such as a full scale greenhouse in LEO built to Large Ship specifications.

The My Hacienda topic is in need of 7,800 individuals to populate a virtual community to simulate self-sustainability on Mars

The subject of abundant energy supply for the population of Earth (and Mars in due time) is under discussion in the Nuclear Power is Safe topic.  It seems reasonable (to me at least) to suppose all fossil fuel power stations can be replaced with modular nuclear fission packages quite rapidly if the people of Earth decide that is a good idea.  It appears the leadership of China thinks that is a good idea for their nation.

A book was recommended for discussion: Beyond Oil and Gas: The Methanol Economy by Olah, Goeppert and Prakash
Abundant energy from modular fission reactors is continuing to receive attention.

A new challenging pair of topics just arrived on the scene ...

Recent discussion is in-depth about how to design an orbital refueling facility.  An interesting concept is a Giant Syringe able to handle cryogenic fluids.  Ullage thrusters appear to be favored at this point, and electric/ion engines may come into their own for this purpose.

Recently a member who goes by "Louis" launched a topic that offers an opportunity to develop sophisticated 3D Vision/robotic software to stack stones on Mars.  It should be possible to replicate the skill set of ancient human stone masons who have built very long lasting structures without mortar.  An obvious first application for such software is to build cairns as way markers for early travelers on Mars.

The current issue of Analog Science Fiction & Fact includes a Science Fact article on fusion reactors in orbit.  There appear to be significant advantages to placing a fusion reactor in orbit.

There is a new opportunity for engineers to design a rover to find landing sites for Starship class vehicles.  The rover needs to be able to determine solidity of the terrain using appropriate sensing techniques.  A new topic has been created for this discussion.

A book was recommended for discussion: "Plentiful Energy" (about fission reactors).

Use of molten sand as an energy storage medium is a new topic of discussion.

Read Post #2 of this topic for procedures to apply for membership.  Mention specific assistance you wish to provide.

For existing registered members who have lost your password ... If you remember the email address you used to register, you can request a recovery email at that address.  If you no longer have the email available (as could happen over 20+ years) just write to this email address. Your request will be forwarded to SpaceNut, who has the tools available to assist as needed.

For all ... we really ** are ** looking for members who want to make a difference by helping others with projects, or providing leadership on new projects.  We have a ready supply of folks who can and will make comments and offer suggestions.  We don't need more folks in that specialty.  We ** do ** need folks who can and ** will ** help project leaders already trying to achieve something in the real world.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

(th)

Recruiting High Value members for NewMars.com/forums, in association with the Mars Society

#327 2021-09-07 07:42:05

NewMarsMember

There was new inbound traffic at the Portal this morning. A resume arrived from kbd512.  It was forwarded to four team members with confirmation copy to kbd512. Please let me know if you do not receive your copy.

There are nearly 8 billion people on Earth these days, and several billion have access to the Internet.  This forum is accessible to ** every ** Earth citizen with Internet access.  We ** know ** the site is of interest to spammers! Hopefully it is of interest to others who want to use their time more productively. 

We have 10,900 freshly refurbished User Id's ready for new members, and Id's through  16.800 are waiting for kbd512 to add finishing touches.  We have identified 419 Usernames that may be eligible for upgrade for use by "real" members.

We have multiple initiatives underway that can use assistance, or you can create your own initiative.

The author of a concept for a 17 person expedition to Mars has specifically requested participation by peers to help.

RobertDyck could use assistance of all kinds in development of the Large Ship proposal. There are three animation/drawing systems in play.
Fusion 360 is a version of commercial software by AutoDesk that is available for student non-commercial use. It requires a beefy computer.

The Large Ship project may stimulate spinoff activities, such as a full scale greenhouse in LEO built to Large Ship specifications.

The My Hacienda topic is in need of 7,800 individuals to populate a virtual community to simulate self-sustainability on Mars

The subject of abundant energy supply for the population of Earth (and Mars in due time) is under discussion in the Nuclear Power is Safe topic.  It seems reasonable (to me at least) to suppose all fossil fuel power stations can be replaced with modular nuclear fission packages quite rapidly if the people of Earth decide that is a good idea.  It appears the leadership of China thinks that is a good idea for their nation.

A book was recommended for discussion: Beyond Oil and Gas: The Methanol Economy by Olah, Goeppert and Prakash
Abundant energy from modular fission reactors is continuing to receive attention.

Recent discussion is in-depth about how to design an orbital refueling facility.  An interesting concept is a Giant Syringe able to handle cryogenic fluids.  Ullage thrusters appear to be favored at this point, and electric/ion engines may come into their own for this purpose.

Recently a member who goes by "Louis" launched a topic that offers an opportunity to develop sophisticated 3D Vision/robotic software to stack stones on Mars.  It should be possible to replicate the skill set of ancient human stone masons who have built very long lasting structures without mortar.  An obvious first application for such software is to build cairns as way markers for early travelers on Mars.

The current issue of Analog Science Fiction & Fact includes a Science Fact article on fusion reactors in orbit.  There appear to be significant advantages to placing a fusion reactor in orbit.

There is a new opportunity for engineers to design a rover to find landing sites for Starship class vehicles.  The rover needs to be able to determine solidity of the terrain using appropriate sensing techniques.  A new topic has been created for this discussion.

A book was recommended for discussion: "Plentiful Energy" (about fission reactors).

For existing registered members who have lost your password ... If you remember the email address you used to register, you can request a recovery email at that address.  If you no longer have the email available (as could happen over 20+ years) just write to this email address. Your request will be forwarded to SpaceNut, who has the tools available to assist as needed.

For all ... we really ** are ** looking for members who want to make a difference by helping others with projects, or providing leadership on new projects.  We have a ready supply of folks who can and will make comments and offer suggestions.  We don't need more folks in that specialty.  We ** do ** need folks who can and ** will ** help project leaders already trying to achieve something in the real world.

(th)

Recruiting High Value members for NewMars.com/forums, in association with the Mars Society

#328 2021-09-07 11:26:55

GW Johnson
Website

TH:

I've got resumes for myself,  Kbd512,  and Spacenut.  I need yours and RobertDyck's.  I'm going to save them in pdf format for transmission with the proposal.  I will also transmit the proposal and its appendix as a pdf,  too.

Still awaiting feedbacks and incorporating changes into draft 5 as I get feedbacks.  We're getting close.

GW

GW Johnson
McGregor,  Texas

"There is nothing as expensive as a dead crew,  especially one dead from a bad management decision"

#329 2021-09-07 13:51:22

tahanson43206

For GW Johnson re #328

Thanks for the update of status of resumes!  In particular, thank you for confirming safe arrival of the file from kbd512!

I am back from sending a work product via UPS.  The UPS clerk thinks the package will arrive Thursday but Friday is fine with me.

I decided to send you a work product because I have the luxury of an inventory, and I am hoping the artifact will speak for itself, to illustrate the capability of your team member.

That work product started out as a stack of paper in a house being emptied for a move to a retirement home.  I formed a company, recruited an artist, secured a trade mark via legal services locally, managed all finances, managed IRS reporting, and more than anything else, kept the project moving from raw material to finished product.

I didn't do everything.... far from it ... I am a team player, so that my assists are unidentifiable in the group achievement, but I can tell you with absolute confidence the product you will see would not exist if I had not invested a couple years and constant attention to the process.

For that reason, I am (reasonably) confident this group can achieve the immediate objective of a launch of your engineering probe(s) next September.  How that will happen is anyone's guess, but I am confident that the right people are assembled, and the right people are engaging with the process as they become aware of it.

(th)

#330 2021-09-08 08:09:33

NewMarsMember

There was no new inbound traffic at the Portal this morning.

We have 10,900 freshly refurbished User Id's ready for new members, and Id's through  16.900 are waiting for kbd512 to add finishing touches.  We have identified 315 Usernames that may be eligible for upgrade for use by "real" members.

(th)

#331 2021-09-09 08:40:22

NewMarsMember

There was one new inbound traffic item at the Portal this morning. GW Johnson forwarded a document for the Refueling Depot concept.

While the Mars Landing Site Engineering Probe is important, the Refueling Depot is on the near term Critical Path for SpaceX.  I'm sure that the SpaceX staff are hard at work on the problem, but I'm guessing they have their hands full just trying to achieve orbit with Starship. There is a (perhaps brief) window of opportunity for GW Johnson to develop and publish his ideas.

Refueling Depot is a large scale business opportunity that extends far beyond SpaceX, important as that customer is now and will become.

Meanwhile Lander Proposal remains in development and review.

We have 10,900 freshly refurbished User Id's ready for new members, and Id's through  17,000 are waiting for kbd512 to add finishing touches.  We have identified 214 Usernames that may be eligible for upgrade for use by "real" members.

(th)

#332 2021-09-10 14:40:39

NewMarsMember

There was NO new inbound traffic item at the Portal this morning. I forwarded a message from Dr. Amelia Greig to Dr. Johnson.

Meanwhile Lander Proposal remains in development and review.

We have 10,900 freshly refurbished User Id's ready for new members, and Id's through  17,100 are waiting for kbd512 to add finishing touches.  We have identified 113 Usernames that may be eligible for upgrade for use by "real" members.

(th)

#333 2021-09-11 07:49:46

NewMarsMember

There was NO new inbound traffic item at the Portal this morning. Hopefully team members are hard at work.

The Lander Proposal remains in development and review.

We have 10,900 freshly refurbished User Id's ready for new members, and Id's through  17,213 are waiting for kbd512 to add finishing touches.  We have identified 0 Usernames that may be eligible for upgrade for use by "real" members. There could be as many as 666 more spammer created ID's to upgrade for use by "real" people.  The actual number will be less.

(th)

#334 2021-09-12 07:30:46

NewMarsMember

There was ONE new inbound traffic item at the Portal this morning. Dr. Johnson is hard at work on his On Orbit station concept.
He is thinking there might be something worth protecting in his work, so nothing further will be reported.

The Lander Proposal remains in development and review.  Dr. Johnson acknowledge suggestions from team members !!!! keep your suggestions coming, please!  Posting on the forum is fine, but direct email do Dr. Johnson is most likely to work at this point.

We have 10,900 freshly refurbished User Id's ready for new members, and Id's through  17,600 are waiting for kbd512 to add finishing touches.  We have identified 744 Usernames that may be eligible for upgrade for use by "real" members.

(th)

#335 2021-09-13 10:35:37

NewMarsMember

There was ONE new inbound traffic item at the Portal this morning. Dr. Johnson is hard at work on his On Orbit station concept.
The arriving update was a tightly focused version of the overall concept, revised to suit the potential needs of a specific customer.

The Lander Proposal remains in development and review.  Dr. Johnson acknowledge suggestions from team members !!!! keep your suggestions coming, please!  Posting on the forum is fine, but direct email do Dr. Johnson is most likely to work at this point.

We are very near to the point where all proposed changes must be submitted and considered.  If you still have suggestions please get them in.

We have 10,900 freshly refurbished User Id's ready for new members, and Id's through  17,700 are waiting for kbd512 to add finishing touches.  We have identified 644 Usernames that may be eligible for upgrade for use by "real" members.

(th)

#336 2021-09-13 10:38:55

NewMarsMember

Special item for SpaceNut ...

Please see if you can contact the PhD student whose thesis about a drill for Mars was found and reported by kbd512.

It is 15 years later, and this gent should be well-embarked upon a career as a professor or in industry.

We would appear to be thinking along the lines he was exploring.

In order for the September 2022 launch date to happen, we need to find individuals and organizations who want to make the effort to prepare for the launch, and who are capable of doing so.

On the face of the Earth in 2021, that would be a ** very ** short list.

(th)

#337 2021-09-13 17:36:12

SpaceNut
Administrator

post 97, 98, 99 of the landing topic contains all related info. for the thesis ect...
we need flight capable hardware that is near ready to clone into the lander or rover or both that we would want to send.

#338 2021-09-14 07:53:40

NewMarsMember

For SpaceNut re #337

Thank you for the reminder of your hard work in finding all those links.  I'm planning to follow up today.

I agree that with the short time frame, the more advanced the two elements of the Landing Pad probe are, the better our chances of launch  in September of 2022.

(th)

#339 2021-09-14 07:55:04

NewMarsMember

There was NO new inbound traffic item at the Portal this morning. Dr. Johnson is hard at work on his On Orbit station concept.
I sent a brief status report to Dr. Johnson. Addendum: A final review of two documents was completed and forwarded.

We are very near to the point where all proposed changes must be submitted and considered.  If you still have suggestions please get them in.

We have 10,900 freshly refurbished User Id's ready for new members, and Id's through  17,700 are waiting for kbd512 to add finishing touches.  We have identified 644 Usernames that may be eligible for upgrade for use by "real" members.

(th)

Last edited by NewMarsMember (2021-09-14 10:41:38)

#340 2021-09-14 13:48:57

GW Johnson
Website

I made the changes to the two documents and sent them back to you as pdf's.  Check your email.  --  GW

GW Johnson
McGregor,  Texas

"There is nothing as expensive as a dead crew,  especially one dead from a bad management decision"

#341 2021-09-14 14:49:57

tahanson43206

For GW Johnson re #340

Congratulations on the rapid turnaround!  I'll check the Portal later this evening!

(th)

#342 2021-09-15 09:19:07

NewMarsMember

There was new inbound traffic item at the Portal this morning. Dr. Johnson is hard at work on his On Orbit station concept.

The work of Dr. Johnson can be divided into two flows ... the lander concept is in re-write.  The current draft will be sent out shortly.
The other flow is of a confidential nature. I am privileged to be granted the opportunity to offer advice, and am grateful that about 1 out of 10 suggestions are considered worthy.  I think ??? the work in the second flow is ready for commit/launch/sale/planting ... whatever the right metaphor might be.

The Lander Proposal remains in development and review.  Dr. Johnson acknowledges suggestions from team members !!!! keep your suggestions coming, please!  Posting on the forum is fine, but direct email to Dr. Johnson is most likely to work at this point.

We have 10,900 freshly refurbished User Id's ready for new members, and Id's through  17,900 are waiting for kbd512 to add finishing touches.  We have identified 444 Usernames that may be eligible for upgrade for use by "real" members.

(th)

Last edited by NewMarsMember (2021-09-15 09:21:24)

#343 2021-09-16 11:22:20

NewMarsMember

There was new inbound and outbound traffic at the Portal this morning.

The Lander Proposal remains in development and review. We are up to Draft 6.  Dr. Johnson acknowledges suggestions from team members !!!! keep your suggestions coming, please!  Posting on the forum is fine, but direct email to Dr. Johnson is most likely to work at this point.

We have 10,900 freshly refurbished User Id's ready for new members, and Id's through  17,900 are waiting for kbd512 to add finishing touches.  We have identified 444 Usernames that may be eligible for upgrade for use by "real" members.

(th)

#344 2021-09-17 06:02:17

NewMarsMember

There was NO traffic at the Portal this morning.

The Lander Proposal remains in development and review. We are up to Draft 6.  Dr. Johnson acknowledges suggestions from team members !!!! keep your suggestions coming, please!  Posting on the forum is fine, but direct email to Dr. Johnson is most likely to work at this point.

We have 10,900 freshly refurbished User Id's ready for new members, and Id's through  18,100 are waiting for kbd512 to add finishing touches.  We have identified 244 Usernames that may be eligible for upgrade for use by "real" members.

(th)

Last edited by NewMarsMember (2021-09-17 06:03:23)

#345 2021-09-18 07:31:39

NewMarsMember

There was NO traffic at the Portal this morning. Update at Noon local time: GW Johnson wrote to report on his progress.

We have 10,900 freshly refurbished User Id's ready for new members, and Id's through  18,200 are waiting for kbd512 to add finishing touches.  We have identified 144 Usernames that may be eligible for upgrade for use by "real" members.

(th)

Last edited by NewMarsMember (2021-09-18 12:33:36)

#346 2021-09-18 21:48:04

NewMarsMember

We had some traffic on the NewMars Portal this evening ...

Draft #7 arrived and was forward to team ...

I had not yet gotten to # 6 due to local distractions ...

Will try harder on Sunday.

(th)

#347 2021-09-19 08:15:42

NewMarsMember

There was NO traffic at the Portal this morning. Draft #7 of Lander Proposal is out for review.

The Lander Proposal remains in development and review. We are up to Draft 7.  Dr. Johnson acknowledges suggestions from team members !!!! keep your suggestions coming, please!  Posting on the forum is fine, but direct email to Dr. Johnson is most likely to work at this point.

We have 10,900 freshly refurbished User Id's ready for new members, and Id's through  18,200 are waiting for kbd512 to add finishing touches.  We have identified 144 Usernames that may be eligible for upgrade for use by "real" members.

(th)

#348 2021-09-20 10:49:35

NewMarsMember

There was one incoming traffic item at the Portal this morning. Dr. Johnson sent a follow up letter regarding Draft #7. That was forwarded as usual.

The Lander Proposal remains in development and review. We are up to Draft 7.  Dr. Johnson acknowledges suggestions from team members !!!! keep your suggestions coming, please!  Posting on the forum is fine, but direct email to Dr. Johnson is most likely to work at this point.

We have 10,900 freshly refurbished User Id's ready for new members, and Id's through  18,344 are waiting for kbd512 to add finishing touches.  We have run out of Usernames that may be eligible for upgrade for use by "real" members. We are transitioning to a campaign to repair posts that contain artifacts that prevent proper display.  That may take a year or more, or it might take less depending upon how many posts there are that need to be visited.

(th)

Last edited by NewMarsMember (2021-09-20 10:50:25)

#349 2021-09-21 08:00:01

NewMarsMember

There were several incoming traffic items at the Portal this morning. Dr. Johnson sent Draft #8. That was forwarded as usual.
In addition, RobertDyck provided details for NORCAT contact.  Dr. Johnson said he would make the contact attempt.

The Lander Proposal remains in development and review. We are up to Draft 8.  Dr. Johnson acknowledges suggestions from team members !!!! keep your suggestions coming, please!  Posting on the forum is fine, but direct email to Dr. Johnson is most likely to work at this point.

We have 10,900 freshly refurbished User Id's ready for new members, and Id's through  18,344 are waiting for kbd512 to add finishing touches.  We have run out of Usernames that may be eligible for upgrade for use by "real" members. We are transitioning to a campaign to repair posts that contain artifacts that prevent proper display.  That may take a year or more, or it might take less depending upon how many posts there are that need to be visited. A test run of 100 posts out of 181,000+ is running now.

(th)

Last edited by NewMarsMember (2021-09-21 08:00:32)

#350 2021-09-22 07:28:10

NewMarsMember

There were NO incoming traffic items at the Portal this morning. Dr. Johnson sent Draft #8. Feedback is arriving on Draft #8.

The Lander Proposal remains in development and review. We are up to Draft 8.  Dr. Johnson acknowledges suggestions from team members !!!! keep your suggestions coming, please!  Posting on the forum is fine, but direct email to Dr. Johnson is most likely to work at this point.

We have 10,900 freshly refurbished User Id's ready for new members, and Id's through  18,344 are waiting for kbd512 to add finishing touches.  We have run out of Usernames that may be eligible for upgrade for use by "real" members. We are transitioning to a campaign to repair posts that contain artifacts that prevent proper display.  That may take a year or more, or it might take less depending upon how many posts there are that need to be visited. A test run of 100 posts out of 181,000+ is running now.

(th)

Board footer