New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#601 2021-09-04 21:11:27

SpaceNut
Administrator

Re: Why do we have Poverty in America

Today I saw a home made version of a trike with a mini bike 49cc engine
20180922_150818.jpg

#602 2022-07-10 17:11:33

SpaceNut
Administrator

Maximum capacity shelters could halt future homeless enforcement in Chico encampments estimated 100 people had occupied the South Chico greenway by last week. This is when police went tent-to-tent providing them with seven-day notices to leave, followed by final 72-hour notices this week.

AAZihKg.img?w=534&h=301&m=6

The pallet shelter has since opened at the former Silver Dollar Fairground’s BMX track within walking distance to Chico’s other shelter, the Torres Shelter. Both have been accepting referrals from the city’s outreach and engagement staff who assess people at camps for shelter.

Reasoning

"The ultimate goal at both Torres and pallet shelter is to stabilize folks, give them services and ultimately have them move on to a better and more transitional type of housing so that there's spots opening up on a regular basis,” says Hahn during a phone interview.

most need more than this to get back into normal housing....

#603 2022-07-13 18:14:45

SpaceNut
Administrator

City of Portland changes response to homeless camps on public property

Instituting a process to set forth removal and assistance

“How to take care of those people who are experiencing homelessness, and making sure they get the services they need,” Chong said.

When emergency shelters are at capacity, police will not get involved in unauthorized campsites.

“What we want to do is make sure that people get back on their feet rather than take some minor offenses or put people into the system,” Chong said.

When police are sent to remove campsites, they have been handing out resource cards. “And the card just maintains housing, food medical and addiction services that we can hand to somebody who’s experiencing homelessness,”

“One of the things that they do is not just hand out cards, but also, we have case workers that also accompany police officers if they need to kind of work with people who are in the camps and provide the services that they need,”

This policy of policing includes holding on to personal belongings.

“And I think that the issue of someone’s personal belongings has become a really important issue,

So, treating them like they are human, trying to give time if shelters are full, giving them a bit of their pride back by not calling all that they own trash and hoping that they can give hope.

#604 2022-07-31 19:00:26

SpaceNut
Administrator

This is not the only place in the us where this is happening as they are priced out of affordability. This does for those that do not get out before hitting rock bottom leave them as the new face of the homeless. Phoenix could soon become uninhabitable — and the poor will be the first to leave

#605 2022-10-01 17:49:34

SpaceNut
Administrator

Edit kbd512 post in another topic:

I do not believe dementia is the reason for why so many Americans are now becoming homeless. I believe that is just income versus debt, where the level of debt is increasing faster than the income is. When I visited a few realty websites and poked in a few addresses I found that they are placing values on every home in America whether it's for sale, was recently sold or not and that the taxes placed on your property is nowhere near that price tag that is on the realty ad. I also found more information was on that information for an address than should be allowed as well.
If you are renting and the landlord is rising the rent its most likely because the taxes for the property has been passed on to the tenants. Then there is little wonder that many are becoming homeless when most are living week to week on what they earn for a full-time job with no benefits, or they are minimal at best. Those that are working part time with multiple jobs are still struggling as they have no benefits or even holidays such that they cannot even get sick.

#606 2022-10-01 18:30:17

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #605 ....

Your previous post was 2022-07-31 21:00:26

I was surprised to see you led off with dementia ... the news from Florida and other locations shows folks who have survived having everything they owned destroyed.  Reporters can't get to everyone (obviously) but the folks they do visit are probably representative.  One of the folks who was interviewed in this evening's news had saved her dog and the clothes she was wearing.  I get the impression there are countless other examples like that lady.

In another topic in the forum, someone tried to set up a place to discuss abundance.

We seem to be running a bit short of that commodity right now.

(th)

#607 2022-10-01 18:57:00

SpaceNut
Administrator

Yes, natural disasters create homeless of all that are in the path of such destructive forces.

These are not the same as the topic starts out with but after a period of time and aid does not come to help those in need it does create another class of people that are homeless.

So, for those that stayed sure they survived and may actually still have a place to go to but what condition is it.

Those that lost it all need more to come back to and have to start the process of rebuilding and cleanup.

Post 602 image is a starter, but they will need more than shelter.

images of those newly created homeless
85795ad11619aec4870ac61f85a2fae9

lucky enough to get a lift
1fce2354937902bc398315ad358fe3e2

Homes that have been moved
0326d432375b9aea530143506180bfdb

I do not think this is a quiet walk on the beach
p72ae25ce6a37d315f4a774da0c6d89f5

#608 2022-10-02 05:12:20

Calliban

Damn.  I last went to Florida in 1997.  I saw the space shuttle take off.  Watched the 4th July fire works from Miami beach.
One of the best holidays I have ever had.

One of the things that I noticed at the time was that very few of the structures were made from masonry.  Everything seemed to be timber framed and walls were either plywood or MDF.  Does anyone remember the story of the three little pigs and the big bad wolf?  The pigs living in the straw and timber houses got eaten when their houses got bliwn down. Even as a teenager, I can remember thinking at the time how strange this was in a place that regularly gets pounded by hurricanes.  It made the place look cheap and crappy as well.  In light of the recent disaster, isn't it time that the state building codes were upgraded to ensure that buildings are a bit more suitable for local conditions?  Building contractors will take the piss with all sorts of low-cost, pre-packaged construction if they are not imposed upon to build using good quality masonry.  They aren't the ones living in the buildings, so they won't care.  And they aren't the ones that have to pay out if a big bad wolf blows the house down.

"Plan and prepare for every possibility, and you will never act. It is nobler to have courage as we stumble into half the things we fear than to analyse every possible obstacle and begin nothing. Great things are achieved by embracing great dangers."

#609 2022-10-02 07:15:20

Terraformer
Website

Don't worry, they're insured!

By the federal government. The federal government underwrites the policies, to allow people to get insured in places the private market doesn't believe they should be living in. If it wasn't for government help, no-one would live there.

The best way to defuse this might be to keep the insurance up for existing homes, but refuse to insure new or replacement builds. If your home gets destroyed, here's your money now go live somewhere that's not subject to hurricanes or build a house that can withstand one. On the one hand they're still getting hefty subsidies, but on the other it prevents a large number of people suddenly finding their houses are worthless, which causes its own problems.

"I'm gonna die surrounded by the biggest idiots in the galaxy." - If this forum was a Mars Colony

#610 2022-10-02 07:35:41

tahanson43206

For Terraformer re #609

There is another category of land owner a relative brought to my attention... the self-insured with deep pockets.

This relative is acquainted with a number of folks who live in the upper reaches of the economic stratosphere. The relative reported that a couple of his acquaintance had a vacation home on the beach that was wiped out. I've asked for any news he might be able to glean about their plans, but I won't be at all surprised if they write off the loss on their taxes and rebuild with new appliances in the exact same spot.

So, in this case, if i am reading the signs correctly, the opening statement you made is correct, but the pathway is roundabout.  The US taxpayers will most definitely pick up the cost of the rebuilding, by foregoing the taxes these folks might have paid.  For such a person, there is no incentive whatsoever to live or build elsewhere.

In this forum we have at least one topic devoted to abundance.

The Universe has ** More ** than enough energy and material supplies for every human to live in abundance.

However, we humans have NOT learned how to organize ourselves so that everyone lives in abundance.

Instead, we spend amazing amounts of time and energy beating up on each other.

(th)

#611 2022-10-02 11:12:54

SpaceNut
Administrator

Also, with that rebuild most have upgrade to what can be built with regards to materials and design to be able to withstand these storms better.
Flood prone areas requiring stilts and concrete materials and not just a replacement wood structure.
I think I saw images of these where what we saw standing were of these superior design methods and materials.

Also, remember that Desanto was a party to Florida GOP lawmakers request hurricane relief after state GOP votes to strike down FEMA funding

This is more of that civil-civil war....

#612 2022-10-02 11:23:30

Terraformer
Website

tahanson,

No, you misunderstand. The government is literally giving people money to rebuild in the same place and shielding them from the market cost of insurance. This has nothing to do with "forgoing tax revenue". Who cares what the rich spend their money on anyway.

"I'm gonna die surrounded by the biggest idiots in the galaxy." - If this forum was a Mars Colony

#613 2022-10-02 14:04:05

tahanson43206

For Terraformer re #612

You may be right!  Can you document a single instance of what you allege has occurred?

Who cares what the rich people do?  Well, the answer to that comes pretty easily .... ** they ** do, and all the workers they employ care.

The point I was trying to make (obviously without success) is that the American tax code is written so that certainly losses can be (and ARE) deducted from the taxes a family (or business) would otherwise pay.

We are clearly talking about two different things.

I doubt very much you will be able to document a single instance of what you have asserted, but I am willing to read an example if you can find one.

This should actually NOT be a source of disagreement.  You have asserted that the American government provides rebuild  money up front, and I have asserted that the American government allows transfer payments between other taxpayers and taxpayers who have suffered loss.

Those two assertions are actually NOT in disagreement.

PS .... there is a ** lot ** of misinformation out there on the Internet.  From time to time innocent members of this forum can be observed to reproduce it here.

(th)

#614 2022-10-02 14:59:41

SpaceNut
Administrator

A disaster declaration is made and then the FEMA will activate a claim process for you to apply. FEMA’s Hazard Mitigation Grant Program provides funding after a presidentially declared disaster to state, local, tribal and territorial governments so they can rebuild in a way that reduces future disaster losses.

https://www.fema.gov/disaster

https://www.fema.gov/disaster/how-declared

https://www.fema.gov/locations/florida

There are currently 2 active disasters declared in Florida.

The National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) is a program is managed and administered by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) through the Federal Insurance and Mitigation Administration (FIMA).

#615 2022-10-02 16:01:55

Terraformer
Website

tahanson,

This is literally enshrined in acts of Congress. They subsidise flood insurance. Why are you so resistant to accepting this. You can't seriously believe there's some kind of Truman Show level conspiracy to pretend that the National Flood Insurance Program is a real thing. Or that the Homeowner Flood Insurance Affordability Act of 2013 is fake news. Amazing how many lies people can get away with now isn't it? They even managed to get Congress to pretend to pass acts to ensure their deception holds up.

#616 2022-10-02 17:14:27

tahanson43206

Foir Terraformer ...

I have no idea what this discussion is about.

Congress shows compassion for those who have suffered loss.

Some protection flows directly to those who are affected, but they have to apply for the assistance.

Some protection flows indirectly via the tax structure, as I have described.

I am wondering if the generosity of Americans to each other is what you find objectionable?

(th)

#617 2022-10-02 17:44:33

SpaceNut
Administrator

That pay in system occurs when you cannot get a private insurance company to insure the property.
The Federal gamble of payout from it gets spread across all those in the system.
Of course, with this has been many changes and improvements to get floodplains under control so that the level of risk is reduced where it can be.
FEMA will move in temporary housing but with many it becomes more permanent than what most would see since this is only a means to climb out of the damage.

Now a requirement to build in a certain manner could also delay how quickly one will climb back out of the conditions let after such disasters.
Could this be one of those means? The first 2-story 3D-printed concrete home in the US is taking shape in Houston — take a look at how the 4,000-square-foot house is being built
22 slides of these homes...

then again maybe not if you build to close to the ocean
f510df294c685239ae809ec27d379755

Something else to watch out for is the Insurance fraud expert warns Florida homeowners of scams after Hurricane Ian

AA12m1Vw.img?w=534&h=353&m=6

AA12vYmV.img?w=534&h=300&m=6

AA12vYih.img?w=534&h=356&m=6

#618 2022-10-09 20:06:23

Calliban

The US 30 year mortgage rate hits 7%, which is the highest it has been since the turn of the century.
https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/credi … -time-high

With inflation running at over 8%, there is a serious risk of mass default and a housing market crash.

"Plan and prepare for every possibility, and you will never act. It is nobler to have courage as we stumble into half the things we fear than to analyse every possible obstacle and begin nothing. Great things are achieved by embracing great dangers."

#619 2022-10-16 09:51:59

Calliban

Shadowstats
http://www.shadowstats.com/alternate_data

If inflation were measured using that same methodology as was applied in 1980, then it is now running at 17% pa.  If hedonic distortions are removed from the calculation inflation, US GDP has not grown since 2000.  Real unemployment rate woukd be 25%.  M1 money supply has gone to the moon.

Last edited by Calliban (2022-10-16 09:52:45)

#620 2022-10-16 11:46:59

Mars_B4_Moon

Maybe the system a silly stage show and is designed to make division and poverty.

One side the Antifa BLM pushing to defund police during periods of mass shootings, unrest, terrorism, looting and riots.

Will the hate crime hoaxes thing wear off, Jussie Smollett the division plan was to stop the Galaxy, stop the solar systenm from spinning and have everyone look at poor victim Jussie.
However when multiple mobile cell phone footage, videos and CCTV, had found zero evidence to support Richardson’s hate crime hoax claims.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHLaaSmZOS0
When someone feels 'Dis-Res-pecks' and shoots another after playing a friendly game of basketball...
https://scallywagandvagabond.com/2022/1 … ball-game/
crime at a game, why not just censor and cover up the news?
weirdo admin and mod people like Ashton "Aimee" Challenor . can just go out there on reddit and ban and delete an entire sub
https://old.reddit.com/r/HateCrimeHoaxes/
'Banned 2 years ago.'

You will often hear me trash reddit, and that's another reason.

He ' She / It was later exposed as a British transgender activist, who tried to cover up the pedophile crimes of his / her father ...and yet reddit thought it wise to have people like this Ashton "Aimee" Challenor  administrate and police their community.

In a 'gun control' area of USA, the Bronx, a woman opened fire from a stolen car, police said as they released images of the suspect.
https://www.audacy.com/1010wins/news/lo … -the-bronx
A normal weekend for this woman or high on drugs? who knows
Then they import 'culture' a jihadi Somali islamo type Paul Peter Jal beats woman for wearing an American Flag shirt
https://notthebee.com/article/a-minneso … flag-shirt
A shooting can happen in any community, come from any race, Black, White, Yellow or Brown, another scallywagandvagabond gossip crime news headline reads - Dads shoot at each other’s daughters in Florida road rage cat & mouse shooting. Maybe the problem is criminal people turning to violence?

The left got out and protested during Trump, reddit joined BigTech and even banned everyone for even speaking the name Donald Trump.

the other rightwing side suspicion also grows suspicious agent provocateurs Ray Epps a Capitol riot figure who disappeared from the FBI’s wanted, but too crazy a conspiracy? FBI Agent Richard Trask, organizer of the 2020 Whitmer kidnap plot?
Everyone mentions how much is spent on NASA maybe its a mindset from the 60s?
EDIT
I made a post but it seems to be deleted / moved, every political person counting coin complains how much money NASA costs. You can count up the big spending Banker Bailouts, Social Security, Medicaid, Covid Relief, Government Spending Common Core Education Breakdowns, more Medicare, more Stimulus, Oversea Spending, Assistance, Tax Credits, War Spending, Vet Benefits, Energy, Foreign Aid, General Government Services...NASA won't even take less than 1% not even half of one percent.

A post war Japan and Germany took away their military maybe under pressure yet it generated wealth, but in places like the USA, Russia, lots of money for the military machines.
Future obligations and mandatory spending items, economics the USA looks better so expect the Russian machine to collapse first.

There is also a 'Culture' not to help victims and punish criminal now?

Serial robber who held up area gas stations in 5 cities is sentenced to prison
https://www.yahoo.com/news/serial-robbe … 55870.html

Last edited by Mars_B4_Moon (2022-10-16 12:51:19)

#621 2022-10-16 15:46:04

SpaceNut
Administrator

The military stress of funding Mars_B4_Moon does deplete the help that its people would normally receive but poverty is not always a function of wars.

People are even poor without that condition occurring as illustrated in many nations worldwide without the hate or crime.

Sure, not having access to a free internet is a plus to aid in not remaining poor but these days it carried with false news and opinions that generate hate. With hate the outcome from many places that are unhappy with being poor. Hate does not make people poor.

Those that are poor can make use of the many spin-off items that Nasa with contractors have created and these have made it even into the poorest of homes' these days. Such things as a microwave, cell phones that can be distributed to them based on income and such much more.

The example of crime pays is another of those falsehoods that have been glorified as a result of not punishing those that do crime appropriately.

What moves people out of poverty has to do with economic change where the income is higher than the expenses and still higher than the poverty guidelines of income which vary state by state and by federal government numbers. These are the weighed values based on cost-of-living values in a local.

Thank you, Steve Stewart, for the Clean EnergyNH website as I found the resource page tab has lots of outside links to other resources under the energy category of energy creation.

Topic Resources areas

Bio-Energy
Building & Construction
Efficiency
Electric Vehicles
Geothermal
Hydro
Solar
Wind

#622 2022-10-18 12:40:47

Mars_B4_Moon

As for America's problems it does not have the religious Hindu Caste System.

Nearly 80% of people pushed into poverty by Covid were from India
https://www.ibtimes.co.uk/nearly-80-peo … ia-1707523

Louisiana Amendment 7 to remove Involuntary Servitude as Punishment for a Crime
https://www.klfy.com/your-local-electio … r-a-crime/

illness, health

'Long-Covid' symptoms?

another miracle drug comes?

Addiction drug shows promise removing fatigue, long COVID brain fog
https://usa.inquirer.net/113722/addicti … -brain-fog

Last edited by Mars_B4_Moon (2022-10-18 12:43:43)

#623 2022-10-26 17:39:16

SpaceNut
Administrator

Here is a tow behind trailer build to be used with an ebike which seems to be possible for the most part even as a rent to own when you have limited income. This build has quite a bit of features for that single person while pulling oneself from the gutter of bad luck.

https://youtu.be/EbBVnuXvfNQ

I did watch most of the video and while I might be able to achieve its goal of a lightweight mass that can serve as shelter its quite a multi-layer process to build with quite a bit of waste from the techniques that are used.

It substitutes mass of plywood with that of foam insulative sheets, thin veneers and outer casing of fiber glass to make it robust.

#624 2022-10-29 10:43:24

SpaceNut
Administrator

Homeless Los Angeles man builds wooden house on Hollywood Boulevard sidewalk: 'Gives me empowerment'

The home is propped up by metal carts and batteries with potted plants and a tapestry on the outside. He said he uses a generator placed on the outside of the home for his electrical needs

Homelessness in Los Angeles County has been a top issue for residents and lawmakers for years. In the city of Los Angeles, 41,980 people were classified as being homeless, while countywide, 69,144 homeless were counted, according to figures released in September.

Might be better to have it on a city lot than stationed on or near a sidewalk area but as noted so long as it's not blocking any access there is no law that prohibits the shelter is interesting when property rights come to play for taxation.

Sems that we have a home Pallet is making $7,500 prefab tiny homes that can be setup in 1 hour to help solve the homelessness crisis — see inside a unit at a Washington village

AA13vKah.img?w=800&h=415&q=60&m=2&f=jpg

AA13vFrC.img?w=800&h=415&q=60&m=2&f=jpg

#625 2022-11-01 19:35:28

SpaceNut
Administrator

Something that is keeping many still poor is when the energy we need exceed the available cash and keeps rising.

Now they are crying wolf for poor planning as Eversource CEO Warns New England May Not Have Enough Natural Gas to Last the Winter

I wish I had more money to through at this solution....

Board footer