New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: This forum is accepting new registrations by emailing newmarsmember * gmail.com become a registered member. Read the Recruiting expertise for NewMars Forum topic in Meta New Mars for other information for this process.

#401 2003-08-20 01:50:52

Shaun Barrett

Re: New Discoveries - Extraplanetary, deep space, etc.

Small non-relevant post.
    I keep meaning to say that I've stopped vacationing now and returned to Cairns. A good thing too! The temperatures on the Gold Coast were unseasonably cold and I only managed to get into the sea on one day.
    Fortunately spring comes early in the tropics and Cairns is basking in warm sunshine with daily maximums of about 28 deg.C
    Almost time to hit the pool again!   smile

[Sorry! Off-topic. I'll shut up now.]

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping Up and Down.   - Rita Rudner

#402 2003-08-20 05:49:13

Palomar

You guys are lucky.  I currently live in Nebraska near Omaha and the planetarium here is closed for good!!!!  Although, in Lincoln, their putting a lot of effort into Aug. 27th.  I know of no one around here who is even remotely interested in astronomy.  I have some binoculars but I really can't see anything of interest with them.  Man, I really wanted to actually see Mars through a scope.   sad

*I lived in Omaha from 3/91 to 5/92; nice city (at least it was then...haven't been back since I moved out).  I'm sorry to hear the area planetarium is closed.  sad  Perhaps you could put out some "feelers" on an internet community bulletin board to help you locate others in the area who are interested in astronomy.  Hopefully the good folks of Lincoln will "come through" for you. 

And speaking of Lincoln and as an aside:  I used to take a drive down to Lincoln at least once a month -- just to get out on the open road and out of Omaha for half a day or so.  Lincoln used to have the cutest little bookstore called "On The Way Home."  I loved visiting it; the entire store was maybe 30 feet by 20 feet, and every inch of wall space crammed with books.  They'd offer you tea or coffee while you browsed, and burned incense; very charming.  Then they moved to a larger location (adios charming, cozy atmosphere).

Again, good luck.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#403 2003-08-20 05:58:20

Palomar

Small non-relevant post.
    I keep meaning to say that I've stopped vacationing now and returned to Cairns. A good thing too! The temperatures on the Gold Coast were unseasonably cold and I only managed to get into the sea on one day.
    Fortunately spring comes early in the tropics and Cairns is basking in warm sunshine with daily maximums of about 28 deg.C
    Almost time to hit the pool again!   smile

[Sorry! Off-topic. I'll shut up now.]

*When you first wrote that you were vacationing on the Gold Coast, I thought "Shaun's in Africa?!"  Ah, but that's the Ivory Coast...I remembered the difference a few seconds later.

Well, I hope you and the Mrs. enjoyed your little get-away, regardless of the coolness.  I checked it out on the internet (I'm always curious); looks like a very nice vacation spot. 

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

#404 2003-08-20 07:30:26

Palomar

Saturn...Naturally

*Nice to see the UNenhanced photos occasionally.  I love the creams, vanillas and beiges of Saturn.

--Cindy

#405 2003-08-20 07:54:55

Shaun Barrett

Somebody tell me this is a joke.
    That picture of Saturn is the one I was getting the other day when I clicked on Cindy's "Schiaparelli Basin on Mars"!
    Just to confirm this, I went back to Cindy's post and clicked again.
    Now I'm not getting Schiaparelli or Saturn!
    I'm getting the "E Nebula in Aquila"!!!!    yikes

I think I need to go see a doctor or something!
                                      sad

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping Up and Down.   - Rita Rudner

#406 2003-08-20 09:01:42

Palomar

Shaun:  "Somebody tell me this is a joke.
   That picture of Saturn is the one I was getting the other day when I clicked on Cindy's "Schiaparelli Basin on Mars"!
   Just to confirm this, I went back to Cindy's post and clicked again.
   Now I'm not getting Schiaparelli or Saturn!
   I'm getting the "E Nebula in Aquila"!!!!     

I think I need to go see a doctor or something!"

*Must be a glitch somewhere between this Ikonboard and Astropix.  Hmmmmm.  Is anyone else accessing the links and finding the photo doesn't match the posted information?  The photos can be seen at "Astronomy Picture of the Day" (archives)...just so you all know I'm not playing pranks.  smile

--Cindy

#407 2003-08-20 10:07:26

Palomar

"Storm Watch On Mars"

*By the way, Shaun, I notice that after you post, this thread "acts up," i.e. what should appear as a string of posts are merely topic borders sandwiched together.  I was only able to read, copy, paste and respond to your last post by doing the trick of hitting "Add Reply" and scrolling down.  But this only occurs when you post in *this thread* -- not elsewhere.  Weird, huh?

I don't know much about computers...maybe it's your browser or something.

--Cindy

Board footer