New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#101 2020-04-07 12:59:06

kbd512
Administrator

Re: Elon Musk: "It's game over for all the other heavy lift rockets"

Quaoar,

Take care of yourself.  I hope to read more of your posts in the future.

#102 2020-04-28 07:56:21

Quaoar

kbd512 wrote:

Quaoar,

Take care of yourself.  I hope to read more of your posts in the future.

I survived and today I come back home after a 21 days turn of service in Liguria (north west coast of Italy), but I had saw more death in these days than in all my precedent career.
Thank to all for your support.

#103 2020-04-28 08:07:36

GW Johnson
Website

Welcome back home,  Quaoar!  We're glad you made it back. 

GW

GW Johnson
McGregor,  Texas

"There is nothing as expensive as a dead crew,  especially one dead from a bad management decision"

#104 2020-04-28 08:15:18

tahanson43206

For Quaoar re #102

It is ** good ** to see your safe return from your national service!  At the same time, it is daunting to think about what your experience must have been like.

In the US, a number of media outlets have taken great care to share the experiences of medical workers in real time, and in video biographies recorded after a shift ends.  From these it is possible to imagine what the situation must have been like for you and your co-workers.

While you were away, there have been some changes.  SpaceNut appears to be in good health but unable to access the forum due to issues with the Internet connection.  kbd512 has accepted the (to me awesome) responsibility of trying to fill SpaceNut's shoes.

Various discussion topics have come up that might lend themselves to a Science Fiction treatment.

Best wishes for continued good health for yourself and your family, and all those you worked with and recovery for those you assisted in Liguria.

(th)

#105 2020-04-28 13:05:57

Quaoar

tahanson43206 wrote:

For Quaoar re #102

It is ** good ** to see your safe return from your national service!  At the same time, it is daunting to think about what your experience must have been like.

In the US, a number of media outlets have taken great care to share the experiences of medical workers in real time, and in video biographies recorded after a shift ends.  From these it is possible to imagine what the situation must have been like for you and your co-workers.

While you were away, there have been some changes.  SpaceNut appears to be in good health but unable to access the forum due to issues with the Internet connection.  kbd512 has accepted the (to me awesome) responsibility of trying to fill SpaceNut's shoes.

Various discussion topics have come up that might lend themselves to a Science Fiction treatment.

Best wishes for continued good health for yourself and your family, and all those you worked with and recovery for those you assisted in Liguria.

(th)

Thanks
That's my story: We were gathered on April 8 in a hotel near Rome main train station, where we had a briefing with the chief of Italian Civil Protection Agency. The next day we took a military bus which brought us in the Italian Air Force base of Pratica di Mare (near Rome) where we took a military plane for Milan. In Milan airport of Linate we were split in groups and sent to the affected regions of northern Italy via buses.
I was assigned to Liguria and sent to Sanremo with another doctor. They gave us the protection devices (gore-tex jumpsuits with hood, glasses, face screens, gloves and plastic bags to cover the shoes) and a car, then ordered us to take care of some highly infected nursing homes in the district of Imperia. We firstly went in a nursing home in a little village in the mountains (Liguria is an arc of coast mountains in the northwest Italy). There were so many death that the staff was forced to hoard them in the chapel, wrapped in bleach sheets. During the three weeks of our turn, while taking care of the survivors, we managed to convert nursing homes in infectious disease ward, with a clean zone, an infected zone and a safe path for dressing and undressing, we imposed the use of the protection devices and trained the nurses and the operators to correctly wear them, to not get infected and spread the disease.
We worked together with highly experienced military nurses of Italian Army and Italian Navy who taught us a lot of very useful tricks to not get infected while undressing, like spraying bleach over the jumpsuits and the face screens before removing them.
The day before leaving, we were tested for covid19 and found negative. But we were put in quarantine the same, so I have to stay locked at home until May 12 at midnight.

Last edited by Quaoar (2020-04-29 02:29:59)

#106 2020-05-03 15:12:44

GW Johnson
Website

Quaoar:

Give the forums a "ping" to let us know you are doing OK.  Your friends here are worried about you.

GW

GW Johnson
McGregor,  Texas

"There is nothing as expensive as a dead crew,  especially one dead from a bad management decision"

#107 2020-05-06 01:33:13

kbd512
Administrator

Quaoar,

Please let us know if you're okay or not.  A simple one-liner is sufficient.

#108 2020-05-07 04:33:12

Quaoar

Thanks for your support,
Now I'm still in quarantine in my home in Rome and I'm in good physical shape, showing no symptoms. I will be released on may 12 at midnight, which means I will be allowed to take a walk with my dog in the parks near my home.
Here in Italy the lockdown was partially eased but the epidemic still kills almost 370 people/day, mostly in the north. The middle Italy and the south Italy were partially spared by the virus, but it only happened because the lockdown was instated before the arriving of the viral wave. I strongly fear that a second wave may come if the lockdown is ended too early.
I hope that you and your family are fine. How is the situation in your cities?

Last edited by Quaoar (2020-05-07 04:51:37)

#109 2020-05-07 07:15:25

tahanson43206

For Quaoar re #108

Hopefully there will be a number of replies to your report of good news for your personal wellbeing.

The United States is really struggling with the problem posed by this new virus.  There are many people who simply cannot comprehend an invisible force that can enter their bodies, replicate itself and then spread to others by mere speech or even just breathing.  In the city where I live, the majority of folks who are out in major stores seem to be wearing masks and maintaining social distancing.  However, smaller stores may have no adherence at all. 

The problem is most acute at the level of individuals who are responsible for institutions where large numbers of persons are confined.  The administrators of these institutions appear to lack the imagination to be able to anticipate the inevitable result of even ONE employee or visitor entering the facility. 

I read recently about the administrator of a nursing home in France, who is the exception that stands out.  She recognized the risk as soon as news came of the nature of the infection, and locked down her facility for forty days.  She and a small staff lived with the residents, and protected them from ANY contact with the outside.  I have read that there is at least one similar institution in the United States that decided to follow the same policy.

In the main, as nearly as I can tell, some persons in leadership positions in the United States appear to lack the skills and insight that are needed to successfully lead their populations through the challenge posed by this particular virus.

This topic is about Elon Musk ...

I'll add that Mr. Musk has made the news in recent days, with his views on the impact of the virus.  I'm not sure what those views are, because the snippets of news I have seen have been small little teasers in news flows I tend to skip over quickly.

(th)

Last edited by tahanson43206 (2020-05-07 07:19:02)

#110 2020-05-09 12:02:36

GW Johnson
Website

Quaoar:

I am very glad to hear you survived your medical service and are now in quarantine.  Please keep us posted.  We are worried about you.

I know Italy had a very bad time with this virus.  We in the US have pretty well botched our response to it,  and are doing worse than most of Europe and Asia,  including the Chinese themselves. 

I had come out of retirement to help a friend with his car repair business last year.  Those shops are considered to be "essential businesses" here in the US,  and so they never closed.  Unlike most townspeople,  I live on a farm out in the country,  which in effect is isolation.  So,  except for on-the-job exposures (rare and short in time),  I am pretty safe.  My wife is a nurse who retired before we knew the pandemic was coming,  so she is safe,  too.

It could be a lot worse,  and in some areas,  it is.

GW

GW Johnson
McGregor,  Texas

#111 2020-05-09 18:18:33

SpaceNut
Administrator

Please do keep us informed Quaoar as to the changing virus.

Good to hear as well for GW status.

Elon musk is also having troubles with the California plant for manufacturing Telsa vehicles.
Of course threatening to move out of the state.

#112 2020-05-10 12:13:33

GW Johnson
Website

Getting back to the thread title,  IF Musk succeeds in getting Starship/Superheavy flying,  and IF others flock to use it,  then it really is game-over for the rest of the industry.  Those are very big "ifs",  however. 

Even if he fails with Starship/Superheavy,  Musk has already shaped the launch industry with the success of his Falcon-9 and Dragon vehicles,  and very likely with his Falcon-Heavy (which still needs to fly a lot more).  His non-reusable launch prices,  as posted on the Spacex website,  are already the lowest in the industry on a per unit payload mass basis,  and in practical payload sizes.  ULA,  the Europeans,  and the Russians try to compete,  but have yet to match his price performance.

That's no small achievement! 

Even NASA cannot afford to do its mandated missions with the giant rocket and overweight capsule it is developing.  That is why they are intending to launch some modules of their Gateway lunar space station boondoggle with Spacex's Falcon-Heavy,  not SLS (any block).

We'll see if Bezos can compete with his New Glenn.  He has yet to fly anything to orbit.  He is almost ready to send up passengers in New Shepard,  though.

I hope Bigelow makes it somehow.  The 1-meter insulation in their B-330 design is almost enough radiation protection for mild solar flare events.  The same thing scaled up and somewhat thicker yet,  would probably do the trick for safe manned deep space missions.  The design criterion to use for travel inside the main asteroid belt is the 1972 event between the two Apollo moon missions.

GW

Last edited by GW Johnson (2020-05-10 12:17:34)

GW Johnson
McGregor,  Texas

#113 2020-05-19 12:41:59

Quaoar

Hi to all,

I've finished my quarantine and on 13 may I went out for the first time. Just a walk around my home with my dog, but it was wonderful to see the sky again.
A week later, the lockdown has been eased, and many people happily walk together in the parks of Rome, like the pandemic had never happened. I strongly hope to be wrong, but I fear a second wave.

#114 2020-05-19 13:08:33

tahanson43206

Thanks for this good news, Quaoar!  We can sure use it!  Perhaps the people you are seeing are family groups who live together indoors.

In the city where I live, folks are trying out various versions of care, from none at all to wearing masks in public and staying well away from potential carriers of the virus.

(th)

#115 2020-05-19 15:35:25

SpaceNut
Administrator

That is good news to hear Quaoar, we have begun to slowly in places open up the US but not all is being done with safety in mind as some states have done so without masks and social distancing. Of which those states are seeing a rise in the infections from the virus.

So back to Elon Musk and the repeat of starship build and explode....

Its just a large cheaply made and cheap costing ship....

#116 2020-05-30 09:49:26

SpaceNut
Administrator

Sn4 has come to an explosive end With engine test. So on now to number 5...

#117 2020-05-31 09:36:05

Oldfart1939

Space nut--it does not appear that the SN4 itself was responsible, but a leak in the propellant offloading system releasing huge clouds of methane. There was actually a double bang. Scott Manley has a decent analysis of the failure by going through released footage frame by frame.

#118 2021-05-23 07:11:12

Mars_B4_Moon

SpaceX has been selected by Firefly Aerospace to send its Blue Ghost lander to the moon in 2023 https://news.yahoo.com/spacex-selected- … 51439.html

#119 2021-05-31 01:33:42

Mars_B4_Moon

Sorry to hear about people's sickness on these forums, Happy to see everyone who got the virus have recovered and Glad to hear that people are out again and getting over these government lockdowns

Anyways back on topic

Elon Musk said SpaceX's offshore launch platform called 'Deimos' is under construction for launch next year
https://www.sciencetimes.com/articles/3 … t-year.htm

'Ocean spaceport Deimos is under construction for launch next year'
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1399088815705399305

Last edited by Mars_B4_Moon (2021-05-31 01:36:56)

#120 2021-06-08 08:41:21

Mars_B4_Moon

Dogecoin and the Galactic Stock Exchange

Dragon capsule delivers 7,300 pounds of cargo to International Space Station
https://spaceflightnow.com/2021/06/05/d … e-station/

Elon Musk says 'new space race has begun' as billionaire races to put Dogecoin on the Moon
https://www.express.co.uk/news/science/ … t-news-evg

#121 2021-06-26 16:40:38

Mars_B4_Moon

SpaceX chief shoots for tech breakthroughs to settle Mars

https://www.afr.com/technology/spacex-c … 622-p5833l

#122 2022-05-23 06:39:55

Mars_B4_Moon

In a major milestone, Boeing's Starliner docks at International Space Station

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/boeings-st … light/#app

Board footer