New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#201 2021-06-10 11:10:03

NewMarsMember

Re: Recruiting expertise for NewMars Forum topics:

For SpaceNut ..;.

GW Johnson wrote back with more information about the posting problem.

I offered three activities to try.

One of those would involve you.  This post is intended to confirm that you are willing to assist with problem diagnosis if asked.

What you would be asked to do (If GW Johnson decides to proceed) is to change the password for GW Johnson and log in as him.

In order to change the password, you would follow the procedure given below:

1) Record the email address GW Johnson is currently using
2) Change the email address to a new one you have available. (eg, family member willing to permit temporary use)
3) Ask FluxBB to send you a recovery password via the new email address
4) Log in as GW Johnson and perform a post
5) Log out and restore the original email address for GW Johnson
6) Notify us that GW Johnson may proceed to recover access to his account using the password recovery procedure

In this scenario, you would perform a test post while logged in as GW Johnson.

If your theory of the situation is correct, you will be able to perform the post without difficulty.

That action will confirm the server itself is not the site of the problem.
If you are NOT able to perform the post, then we will have more information with which to work.

To restore the account for GW Johnson, you would restore his original email.

At that point, GW Johnson would use the password recovery procedure to restore his preferred password.

Reminder: This post is just an advisory and request for your participation in the problem diagnosis.

No action is required at this time, other than reply to this post.

(th)

Last edited by NewMarsMember (2021-06-10 11:12:10)

Recruiting High Value members for NewMars.com/forums, in association with the Mars Society

#202 2021-06-10 17:45:48

NewMarsMember

For SpaceNut ....

We have received an all-Clear from GW Johnson, if you would like to confirm that his ID can post.

Gary Johnson
5:00 PM (2 hours ago)
to me

Spacenut has my permission to investigate.  Y'all let me know what you need.

GW

(th)

Recruiting High Value members for NewMars.com/forums, in association with the Mars Society

#203 2021-06-10 20:45:49

SpaceNut
Administrator

Ok had my own difficulties getting back on after giving up my web cell phone to the wife and going out and getting another since she only wanted the one which had gone bad.
I am on but have some questions.

When a person is not logged in the color of the web page as well as the user information are hidden.
There is also web log in location and I have seen that you need to log into both to clear some issues of getting connected back when we had registration open.

ill test for a not logged in first for myself logged out and see if I get some insight...

#204 2021-06-10 20:55:47

SpaceNut
Administrator

Ok appearance does change and no box to post a reply or reply to a topic is present or possible while logged out.

Did GW check the keep me logged in box at the log in page as it would cause it to lose the session cookie and would revert back to a not logged in state.

#205 2021-06-10 21:12:46

SpaceNut
Administrator

Finally found a topic id that yields the message in the time frame of the great crash.

http://newmars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=6008

http://newmars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=6010

http://newmars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=6015

I am sure that there are more

another is the old forums software links which used the tid command

http://newmars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?tid=9363

#206 2021-06-11 05:02:46

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut and GW Johnson,

Because of the smart phone challenges, I ran the experiment I had proposed.

The results were not helpful.  I received the alternate password, but was unable to log in using it.

I restored the original email address to the GW Johnson account.

A complication is that I had forgotten I had used the temporary email for FriendOfQuark1.

I received a temporary password for both GW Johnson and for FriendOfQuark1.

This is a complication I had not anticipated.

I'll ask GW Johnson to try logging back in on a different computer.

(th)

#207 2021-06-12 06:10:57

NewMarsMember

For SpaceNut ...

GW Johnson wrote back with more information about McGregor, Texas.

For all ...

The NewMarsMember * gmail.com portal is open for business.

We have 6,700+ freshly refurbished User Id's ready for new members, and Id's through 8,600 are waiting for SpaceNut to add finishing touches.

We have multiple initiatives underway that can use assistance, or you can create your own initiative.

Read Post #2 of this topic for procedures.

For existing registered members who have lost your password ... If you remember the email address you used to register, you can request a recovery email at that address.  If you no longer have the email available (as could happen over 20+ years) just write to this email address. Your request will be forwarded to SpaceNut, who has the tools available to assist as needed.

For all ... we really ** are ** looking for members who want to make a difference by helping others with projects, or providing leadership on new projects.  We have a ready supply of folks who can and will make comments and offer suggestions.  We don't need more folks in that specialty.  We ** do ** need folks who can and ** will ** help project leaders already trying to achieve something in the real world.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

(th)

Last edited by NewMarsMember (2021-06-12 06:14:06)

#208 2021-06-12 08:16:10

SpaceNut
Administrator

Do you know if the topic was
This was the last post GW Johnson was able to make and edit. or was it another topic as we may have discovered a forum software topic post limit?
The older software when it reached that limit would crash the topic and we would need to recover it from log or back up files and then close it from adding further posts.

I was curious about the post counter and if the front page were the same....

Total number of posts: 176,918 is at the bottom of the first page and before this post is was 176,917.
you post above mine was that last increment and my post was 180,940 to which since the crash we have the difference of count that had not been recovered.

Checking to see if the topic counter was on also Total number of topics: 7,606 from the front page and the last topic id was 9908 that was used or pretty close as I think it was Europe's long term vision & future ideas Medium-class missions. by Mars_B4_Moon yesterday.

The user table is also of since the restore as well....

#209 2021-06-12 09:12:12

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #208

Thanks for doing the research reported in the post.  I'll continue in Housekeeping.

(th)

#210 2021-06-13 06:27:14

NewMarsMember

For SpaceNut ...

GW Johnson wrote back with more information about Texas, with side bar about Maryland.

For all ...

We have 6,700+ freshly refurbished User Id's ready for new members, and Id's through  9,000 are waiting for SpaceNut to add finishing touches.

We have multiple initiatives underway that can use assistance, or you can create your own initiative.

For existing registered members who have lost your password ... If you remember the email address you used to register, you can request a recovery email at that address.  If you no longer have the email available (as could happen over 20+ years) just write to this email address. Your request will be forwarded to SpaceNut, who has the tools available to assist as needed.

For all ... we really ** are ** looking for members who want to make a difference by helping others with projects, or providing leadership on new projects.  We have a ready supply of folks who can and will make comments and offer suggestions.  We don't need more folks in that specialty.  We ** do ** need folks who can and ** will ** help project leaders already trying to achieve something in the real world.

(th)

#211 2021-06-13 12:55:05

NewMarsMember

For SpaceNut, kbd512 and RobertDyck ...

The plot thickens ...

GW Johnson sent a screen image he sees when he is getting the Bad Referrer message.

My impression is that the forum may be protected by his status as a member.

I'm hoping he will be able to capture the address line on the page he showed me, if he ever sees it again, which I hope he does not.

He'll be testing on Monday from a computer at a remote location, where (I'm hoping) conditions are favorable for a normal login.

(th)

#212 2021-06-13 13:12:33

SpaceNut
Administrator

Please forward or post.... as I am curious to the topic, the edit of which post ect.... as what I have seen in the past is the session cookie was the issue....

#213 2021-06-13 17:19:12

tahanson43206

For spacesuit ...we have cable outage no TV or internet ... Using smartphone ...

Will put image of failed session when internet is back up

The image is a PDF ... Will try save as image. Is Imgur.com

It reminds me of display when web site is expecting modern browser but login is on ancient one

(Th)

#214 2021-06-13 19:00:30

SpaceNut
Administrator

Thats ok when you can, as it might prove useful...

Just did another experiment with edit the post function in the address bar once I logged out. The topic location was red and then I pasted the post information in the address bar and hit enter. It came back with the not logged in and bad … as the log in session cookie is not present for it to know how to handle the command.

http://newmars.com/forums/edit.php?pid=180989#p180989

meaning the #p is the post flag in the link even thou I told it to edit
clicking my made up link returns
Bad request. The link you followed is incorrect or outdated.

http://newmars.com/forums/edit.php?id=1 … ction=edit
this seemed to work thou...

#215 2021-06-13 19:18:19

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re 214 and outage ...

Our area just came back online ... both TV and Internet ... That was a reminder (to me for sure) of how interwoven the Internet has become in my life.  I go hours at a time without thinking about the Internet or Cable TV, but I've come to expect them to ** always ** be there when I want them. 

Thanks for the reports on your experiments.

I'll see if I can convert the pdf to an image for imgur.com.

OK ... here goes nothing!

c8Ofoq7.png

(th)

Last edited by tahanson43206 (2021-06-13 19:35:51)

#216 2021-06-13 19:49:41

SpaceNut
Administrator

I pulled the link out to look at outside of the normal browser window and the way its showing up with the list bar under each other is a bandwidth issue....I have seen this on other websites where its so congested that data is not sent fast enough to assemble correctly.

Its also how an old browser will display a newer software rendering these days as well.

There is also another clue in the image as the day is 6/10 that G.W. johnson has on the image and yet the last post shows up on 2021-06-03 09:21:24 now collecting data from user profile page.

Edit that agrees with that page of information as well so the log in information is suspect....

#217 2021-06-13 20:00:52

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #216 ... i overlooked a detail that is important ... GW Johnson was able to log in after I attempted an experiment to see if I could log in as him.  I was worried that my attempt might have disturbed his password, but happily it did not.  The sample page you saw is from a login ** after ** the last successful post.

GW Johnson reported curious things happening on his wife's computer, in addition to the difficulty with NewMars.

I'm hoping his test at a different computer, at a completely different location will proceed normally.

Somewhere along the line GW Johnson reported the good news that he was able to recover his data files from the failed laptop, so (hopefully) at some point in the future, he'll be back in communication.

(th)

#218 2021-06-14 06:23:31

NewMarsMember

We have 6,750+ freshly refurbished User Id's ready for new members, and Id's through  9,059 are waiting for SpaceNut to add finishing touches.

(th)

#219 2021-06-15 08:18:56

NewMarsMember

GW Johnson checked in with a full report on his experiment that led to his test post yesterday.

We have 6,800+ freshly refurbished User Id's ready for new members, and Id's through  9,059 are waiting for SpaceNut to add finishing touches.  2084 Usernames are in review for possible upgrade to new member "ready" status.

(th)

#220 2021-06-15 18:39:52

SpaceNut
Administrator

I know that this topic had a few posts on shaping a proposed education Academy in which to make the support for starbase but to provide an upward path for a Starfleet and space force concept to take shape.
So what's needed is the location for the later 2 to go with the Texas local for where to have these educational systems take shape in...and of course supporting reason for those locations.

This would be a step up from the Mars society university but with the right backing it could happen....

#221 2021-06-16 06:54:07

NewMarsMember

We have 6,900+ freshly refurbished User Id's ready for new members, and Id's through  9,059 are waiting for SpaceNut to add finishing touches.  We have identified 1000+ Usernames which are eligible for upgrade for use by "real" members.

(th)

#222 2021-06-18 04:50:56

NewMarsMember

We have 7,000+ freshly refurbished User Id's ready for new members, and Id's through  9,200 are waiting for SpaceNut to add finishing touches.  We have identified 1000+ Usernames which are eligible for upgrade for use by "real" members.

(th)

#223 2021-06-19 06:12:35

NewMarsMember

We have 7,200 freshly refurbished User Id's ready for new members, and Id's through  9,300 are waiting for SpaceNut to add finishing touches.  We have identified 1000+ Usernames which are eligible for upgrade for use by "real" members.

(th)

#224 2021-06-21 06:16:47

NewMarsMember

We have news from an ** old ** member this morning:

The plan is for him to come down and film a test of a new cactus tool when I get the thing built and a Bobcat rented.  I'm not sure how fast I can do that at my age in this heat.  It gets to me rather quickly now.  We had originally expected to already have this done by now,  but I couldn't weld in the drenching rains.  Now I can.

GW

The snippet above is from a longer message.

We have 7,300 freshly refurbished User Id's ready for new members, and Id's through  9,500 are waiting for SpaceNut to add finishing touches.  We have identified 1000+ Usernames which are eligible for upgrade for use by "real" members.

(th)

#225 2021-06-22 07:42:38

NewMarsMember

We have news from an ** old ** member this morning:

GW Johnson checked in with additional information about the applications he runs.  I will ** definitely ** be interested in learning what combination of hardware and software he eventually settles upon to achieve his requirements.

We have 7,400 freshly refurbished User Id's ready for new members, and Id's through  9,600 are waiting for SpaceNut to add finishing touches.  We have identified 1000+ Usernames which are eligible for upgrade for use by "real" members.

(th)

Board footer