New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2021-04-25 18:01:55

SpaceNut
Administrator

Nasa Administrators

Let this be a general topic for related to the political sway of each administrations president.

The last was Jim Bridenstine which ended recently with the newest in Bill Nelson...

So will it be the Senate launch system of something different.

The selection of Space x starship would say not so fast....

Bill Nelson’s Flawed Vision for NASA

Of course there has been lots of water under the bridge since the shuttle commissions he chaired on....

#2 2021-04-25 18:14:04

louis

Re: Nasa Administrators

Jeez! The guy's 78. Most people who are 78 haven't been working at full stretch or even at all for at least the last ten years! We all know people do their best stuff in the middle ages when they have the knowledge and the experience and still the energy. Not when they will soon be embarking on their ninth decade on the planet.

The idea as to how anyone thought  he would be an appropriate nominee is beyond me  - except it's clearly all politics and corruption. The Chinese must be having another good old laugh at the useless Yanks.

NASA is a total joke now. The glory days of the 60s are long behind. This confirms it.

But Space X do still need them for coms and for mapping. Just hope that Space X can somehow use them without getting sucked into the Black Hole that is NASA.

Let's Go to Mars...Google on: Fast Track to Mars blogspot.com

#3 2021-04-26 07:58:36

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re new topic

Best wishes for success! 

For Louis ... I understand your important role in this forum, as a Socratic instigator of thought.  Your opening poke at Bill Nelson is especially galling, as of course, you intended it to be, because it contains (by design) so many obvious flaws and errors of assumption about how the Universe works.

I sincerely hope a forum member steps forward to help a reader (who could be anywhere in the world) to recover from the misdirection you have offered.

(th)

#4 2021-04-26 09:50:34

Calliban

Pouring money into SLS does seem a bit retarded now that SpaceX (and soon Blue Origin) can provide taxi services at 10% of the cost.  I see no logic to continuing on public money.  NASA have coordinated some truly remarkable missions in recent years.  New Horizons, Opportunity, Perseverance.  They are good at payloads.  Could any of that have been done back in the 60s?  Not a chance.

There have been no manned missions to Luna for fifty years.  The problem is that it really isn't that interesting a place.  The reasons for going there have more to do with space resource utilisation, than any real science goals.  It is a great place to go if your goal is to mine gigatonnes of base elements to build high orbit colonies, interplanetary liners and SPS systems for Earth.  That is the Moon's real value.  Not something that NASA are allowed to participate in.  Which is a shame.  From what I understand, it is something the President Trump tried to put right, before the scumbags cheated their way back into power.

Having a 78 year old director probably isn't the smartest move.  Especially if the guy is set in his ways and his thinking hasn't moved on since the 1990s.  But who knows, he may surprise us.

Last edited by Calliban (2021-04-26 09:57:14)

"Plan and prepare for every possibility, and you will never act. It is nobler to have courage as we stumble into half the things we fear than to analyse every possible obstacle and begin nothing. Great things are achieved by embracing great dangers."

#5 2021-04-26 18:29:18

SpaceNut
Administrator

I was searching for other simular topics only to find them not in the not so free chat area but under space policy but the admin does not create policy but rather carries out the politics of the administrations that they serve.

#6 2021-05-21 03:26:40

Mars_B4_Moon

China's push for 'space superiority' worries nominee for NASA deputy administrator
https://dawsoncountyjournal.com/blog/20 … periority/
Former astronaut Pam Melroy answered questions

#7 2021-05-21 20:14:27

SpaceNut
Administrator

Its about control of the high ground and we are slow slipping the US hold on it slowly but surely with the bloatware contractors....

Board footer