New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#101 2019-05-27 17:36:32

tahanson43206

Re: Holidays

For Terraformer ...

Thanks for the inspiration to look for citations about the history of Armistice Day, and of the migration of memorial activities over time, in various countries and at various times.  You're right, that the Americans have Memorial Day, but (I gather) that predates World War I. 

I hope that future Martian citizens can look back in amazement at wars on Earth, and that they will be spared similar discord.

Bad behavior appears to be endemic in the human population. 

I asked Mr. Google for help with the famous line:  “Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty.”

it turns out (as nearly as I can tell) this is a line that has a great number of authors, and (apparently) no one has a lock on it.

However, it works for me right now .... Future Martians are most certainly going to have to adopt it if they want to keep eruptions of bad human behavior from ruining what I hope will be a peaceful, productive culture.

(th)

#102 2019-05-27 18:41:36

SpaceNut
Administrator

A mars memorial day would be one that they would celebrate as they would have finally gotten away from wars and would remember the fallen of mars which would have lead the way and not just those on earth.

#103 2019-06-19 17:03:03

SpaceNut
Administrator

#104 2019-08-12 18:11:36

SpaceNut
Administrator

SpaceNut wrote:

NASA will celebrate the Martian New Year with an event at this flying saucer spaceship monument in Mars, Pennsylvania
Martian Calendar Milestone. NASA is celebrating the New Year on Mars on June 19, 2015.

Gearing Up to Prepare for the Next Mars New Year in 2019

The actual Mars New Year will be celebrated on Thursday, March 21st, 2019.

Seems Mars was scared of Aliens on Earth claims but there is this as well. 2019 Alien Stock Festival

2 million people to say they’d storm Area 51. https://fox8.com/2019/08/10/storm-area- … -festival/

Will we be listening to the One eyed, one horned, purple people eater?

#105 2020-12-21 09:52:17

tahanson43206

The Holidays topic created by RobertDyck has been patiently waiting for today on Earth ...

Today is the Winter Solstice, and regardless of calendar or human mythology, the Sun is observed at it's lowest excursion to the South, as seen from the Northern hemisphere.

There is a small community that celebrates this day on Earth.  I have no idea how large that community may be, but I am acquainted with a family that celebrates this day with the same enthusiasm that other families celebrate the variations on the theme.

In honor of that family, and all others who celebrate this day, Happy New Year!

(th)

#106 2020-12-21 17:43:25

SpaceNut
Administrator

Mars would also have a simular marking of the solstice days as well but would they be followed by a Christmas and New Years as we celebrate here on Earth.
I have assumed that man will in time not follow earths calendar very much and that slowing it would see a slowed down version of some of the more important holidays still falling in it.

A well wish to all NewMars members and to Mars Society for another successful year by hosting the forums content.

Something that is clear as new rockets are developed and cash is starting to flow for missions with these new lifts to the heavens that we will indeed see Mars sooner rather than later....so lets get the plans in order to get us there....

edit

tumblr_inline_ohdbtnzI4P1tzhl5u_1280.jpg

Winter solstice we saw at 270' on Sep 02 2020 so the days are getting longer while the distance from the sun increases.

What is odd is the amount of solar in winter is higher but with the days time is short we do not see any really amount of mars warming.

While the summer day grows longer but the amount of solar striking the planet is dropping.

I think this is in the topic but if its not here it is https://www.planetary.org/articles/mars-calendar

#107 2020-12-25 18:34:37

SpaceNut
Administrator

well, another day past and well wishes will continue through the new year...probably every where but in there topics....
So when we started to think about earth holidays and how would they cross to mars only some will but many will be twice as long to get to since mars is twice the earths year of days to get there....

#108 2021-04-04 11:24:07

SpaceNut
Administrator

Sure there's a NORAD Santa Tracker for kids, but is there a NORAD Easter Bunny Tracker for grumpy chickens!? We have an app for the Easter Bunny https://trackeasterbunny.com/easter-bunny-tracker

Welcome to Track Easter Bunny On Saturday, April 3rd, the Track Easter Bunny website and apps will transform into a tracking experience where you can follow the Easter Bunny as he delivers Easter baskets and goodies to good kids around the world. Millions of people love the Easter Bunny …

Happy-Easter-Day-Images-5-700x394.jpg

Easter is a Christian holiday that celebrates the belief in the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead. Easter 2021 will take place on Sunday, April 4.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easter

#109 2021-08-11 06:08:39

tahanson43206

Bump

#110 2022-10-05 08:21:03

Mars_B4_Moon

Some Religious or Historical events might be marked which happened on Mars.

I'm not really religious but I do kind of understand why Australia marks Christian European or British events, but the recent stabbing of Rushdie got me thinking negatively about religion or a religion so I got annoyed to read about marking some islamic event at the Arctic or South Pole

Maybe an event happens and yet days get lost in the history of time keeping. The Egyptians and Roman and Chinese and Hindus and cultures of the Americans marked days with reasonable accuracy, a unisolar calendar the Babylonian calendar was a lunisolar calendar with years consisting of 12 lunar months, each beginning when a new crescent moon, the Gregorian calendar is the calendar used in most parts of the world introduced in October by Pope Gregory the 13th as a modification of, and replacement for, the Julian calendar

Astronomers have made several attempts to link the star to a celestial event maybe it happened and was a comet, or happening such as a conjunction of Jupiter and Saturn or Jupiter and Venus or some other event like supernova, there might even be religion ufology cult people who believe a UFO came to Earth long ago and little green men shone a torch out their UFO window to guide the men?

Three wise men from the East who had followed a star to Bethlehem

The cultures moved across Egypt and Arabia, this Aramaic was the original language of Jesus, who spoke the Galilean dialect, he may have been multi lingual and spoke Hebrew or Latin, in 25th in the West the date is marked but Greeks are also in Europe, the Orthodox Church celebrate celebrate Christmas on 7 January.

Cartoons and an explanation for kids.

'What is Christmas?'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/topics/z … es/zdjjf4j

the seventh month in the Hindu calendar?

When is Dussehra 2022? Date of the Hindu festival, what it means and how it’s celebrated in India and beyond
https://inews.co.uk/culture/dussehra-20 … ia-1892480

Chinese Festival celebrated in U.S. state of Colorado
https://www.bignewsnetwork.com/news/272 … f-colorado

The always updated
'I have created a martian calendar...'

The original topic by JammerG55 a newmars user who suggested a discussion of keeping time on Mars.

JammerG55 wrote:

My martian calender consists of 12 months each week has 13 days, and each month has 57 days plus 1 extra day every four months. Suggestions???

tahanson43206 wrote:

Today on Mars: 0036/22/04 Wednesday <<-- Days of the week offset 0 with Earth.  (count from Mars to Earth (updated 2022/09/03))

--- 

Today on Earth: 2022/10/05 Wednesday (Earth Date) Post Title: Today on Mars   [Perihelion occurred June 20, 2022 Earth Calendar]

Per http://www-mars.lmd.jussieu.fr/mars/tim … _time.html also see: in-the-sky.org for oppositon/perigee/aphelion

Martian Year: 36  Martian Month in 12 month format: 11 <<== The Astronomical month will increment when longitude reaches 330 degrees

Solar Longitude: 315.7 Sol Number: 589  Change in degrees is +.5 Julian date is: J0036589
Solar Longitude: 315.1 Sol Number: 588  Change in degrees is +.5 Julian date is: J0036588
Solar Longitude: 314.6 Sol Number: 587  Change in degrees is +.6 Julian date is: J0036587
---

Note that Solar Longitude measurement varies as a function of location in orbit.  Ls 0 is the moment when the Sun appears to transit from one hemisphere to the other.  The transition itself is a function of the tilt of an object with respect to the Solar plane. Per squarewidget.com, Hipparchus created the celestial coordinate system we use today.

---
Distance: Mars >> Sun per theskylive.com:   217,355,071 km [25.3 km/s] Difference is +176961 <= 7373 km/hour at 8.0 on 10/05 (time 8:00)
Distance: Mars >> Sun per theskylive.com:   217,178,110 km [25.3 km/s] Difference is +175821 <= 7326 km/hour at 8.0 on 10/04 (time 8:00)
Distance: Mars >> Sun per theskylive.com:   217,002,289 km [25.3 km/s] Difference is +175563 <= 7315 km/hour at 8.0 on 10/03 (time 8:00)
---

Observation: The sky view is ** filled ** with objects and very few have been recorded and given identification by humans or their robot assistants
And! ** All ** the location assignments are from the perspective of Earth.  The entire catalog needs to be adjusted when inter-stellar travel begins
The work that lies ahead for the astronomical community is daunting - there is work ahead for centuries
2022/01/19 - All current (existing) stellar catalogs are computed with reference to the Earth.  Another civilization would use it's planet as reference.
Perhaps a Milky Way frame of reference will become necessary at some point. The Earth is as good a Zero point as any, for humans.

As a general observation ... I've become increasingly interested in knowing what the larger view of the sky might be like.
The site: theskylive.com does a terrific job of matching the view from Earth towards Mars, against a background of actual astronomical plates.
I wish there were a way (or rather, I wish I ** knew ** about a way that may exist) to enlarge the view until the entire galaxy is in view.
Update 2021/07/30 I wrote to an astronomer to ask if there might be a web site with a view showing the galaxy in context of a given view.
Update 2022/01/22 What I'm asking for is a "Zoom Out" feature.  If anyone knows of such a service, please contact the NewMars portal.

Note: The curve of the path of Mars as seen against the background of stars is now a line trending upward and East as seen from Earth
In recent days, the curve has been holding steady , and on 2022/09/01, it is inclining upward at about 10 degrees

---
Earth Distance 2022/10/05 113,356,298  (decrease)
Earth Distance 2022/10/04 114,263,888  (decrease)
Earth Distance 2022/10/03 115,088,308  (decrease)
---

Mars and Earth are coming closer after Conjunction.  The two planets were on opposite sides of the Sun at Earth Distance maximum October 2021.

Light travel in one second is (about) 300,000 kilometers. The distance covered in one minute is about 18,000,000 kilometers.
Estimated light times: 1:18, 2:36, 3:54, 4:72, 5:90, 6:108, 7:126, 8:144, 9:162, 10:180, 11:198,12:216, 13:234, 14:252, 15:270, 16:288, 17:306
Light travel time today is between 6 and 7 minutes. Communications delay would be 12+ minutes round trip.

In his online interview with Dr. Zubrin at the 2020 Mars Conference, Elon Musk reminded the audience that communications with Mars will necessarily include an intermediary station to handle traffic when the Sun is between Mars and Earth.  Communications delays in that circumstance will increase due to the extra distance to be covered.  Mr. Musk indicated he expects such communication will be handled by laser.  Location would be optimum at poles of solar plane.

Mars is executing the "Retrograde" movement as seen from Earth. Earth is passing "under" Mars.
Progress of Mars (as seen from Earth) is transitioning back to Eastward as the retrograde movement continues.
The online solar system display at the link below shows clearly how the Mars retrograde movement will occur in months ahead.
Retrograde movement started 2020/09/08 Sol 520 - Update 2022/08/14 Retrograde movement is still in progress on sol 538

This web site offers an online model of the solar system: www.solarsystemscope.com  It requires Chrome 57, Firefox 52 or Safari 10.1

---

Sol 589 is in Month 22 of a Proposed 24 month calendar. See Post 19 of Holidays topic for a summary. <<== Skip Day Sol 557
Month  22 extends from Sol 586 through 613. See post 82 of Holidays topic for current details. <<== There are 28 days in Month 21
Direct path to source: http://newmars.com/forums/viewtopic.php … 57#p154257
Sol 589 is Wednesday  in the Proposed Business calendar for Mars.  Sol 557 was a skip day on Earth. 593 is next expected skip day.

---

The Next New Year's on Mars will occur when Solar Longitude reaches 360 degrees. <<== The current year on Mars is 36
Per www.planetary.org this occurred February 7, 2021 (on Earth). The new Mars Year is 36.

The last Skip Day occurred  September 3,  2022 on Earth. A Skip Day occurs when the longer Mars Sol accumulates 24 Earth hours.
The next Skip day is expected October 10, 2022 (range 9th >> 11th) on Earth. The next skip day will separate the week days.

For those who may not be following this proposed calendar closely, there exists a "feature" I had not anticipated.
Days of the week fall behind Earth due to the longer Sol, but they gain when Friday is omitted at the end of a Quarter
337 Earth days were observed to elapse in the 2020 weekday cycle. There were 7 week day transitions and 2 Quarter ends.
The next cycle began on the first Sol of the period of coincidence. The  alignment of weekdays interval is in the range: (310 - 337)
To find the first day of a period of coincidence: Set up: SearchTerm(colon) and (colon)Alignment and J0036*
Refinements of the search include: Author: tahanson43206 Topic: Martian Politics and Economy (Specify Posts instead of Topics)

For current weather on Mars see:

***https://mars.nasa.gov/insight/weather/***
   ***Insight's weather info has been suspended and now is directing to msl***

https://mars.nasa.gov/msl/weather/

Per SpaceNut: Here is another web page by NASA containing the latest news releases

https://mars.nasa.gov/news/?page=0&per_ … ope=Latest

All forum members are invited to post significant events for this day.
Events of interest will be ON Mars, or relate to Mars. Examples are launches, landings, discoveries

Standard Month in Mars Business Calendar
Su    Mo    Tu    We    Th    Fr    Sa
1       2      3      4      5      6      7
8       9    10     11    12    13    14
15    16    17     18    19    20    21
22    23    24     25    26    27    28

Month 22 of 24: <<== Fourth month of Quarter 4

Martian Calendar -

Last edited by Mars_B4_Moon (2022-10-05 08:30:21)

#111 2023-02-12 13:21:57

Mars_B4_Moon

NASA astronaut explains what it's like in space from using the loo to getting 'moon face'
https://www.mirror.co.uk/travel/usa-can … s-29057347
A NASA astronaut has shared warnings and top tips for holidaymakers heading into space. Two times Shuttle rider Bruce Melnick has spent 13 days in space

#112 2023-05-15 07:56:49

Mars_B4_Moon

The Moon or Europa or Mars how will they mark vacation and holiday. Mars has an axial tilt and a rotation period similar to those of Earth. Thus, it experiences seasons of spring, summer, autumn and winter much like Earth. Mars' orbital eccentricity is considerably larger, which causes its seasons to vary significantly in length. A sol, or Martian day, is not that different from an Earth day: less than an hour longer. However, a Mars year is almost twice as long as an Earth year.

'With multiple nations likely to have lunar bases & robotic craft on the Moon in the next decade, standards for lunar time & time zones will need to be created. One proposal is to use a decentralized approach very different from how time is kept across Earth.'

https://www.euractiv.com/section/global … is-needed/

How Should Space Settlers Keep Track of Time?
https://slate.com/technology/2019/07/sp … endar.html
Our earthly system of years, months, and days doesn’t make much sense on Mars or the moon.

Individual settlements might evolve their own conventions according to local constraints. Gangale has adapted the Darian calendar for Jupiter’s moons Io, Ganymede, Callisto, and Europa, and Saturn’s moon Titan, which could be humanity’s next outposts beyond Mars. For settlers staying closer to home, nonprofit group LunarClock.org advocates for Lunar Standard Time and the Lunar Calendar, where a year consists of 12 “days” (comparable to Earth months), each named for a person who has walked on the moon, broken up into 30 “cycles” (comparable to Earth days) of 24 moon-hours.

The other challenge settlers will face in developing alternatives to Earth time is actually keeping the time. Time on Earth is standardized by incredibly stable atomic clocks, which drift by just one second every 15 billion years. Unfortunately, they’re the size of refrigerators. Spacecraft keep time on board using ultrastable oscillators, which allow spacecraft to plan and execute maneuvers, but “they’re not [really] ultrastable—they drift over time,” says Jill Seubert, deep space navigator at NASA. (I dare you to find a better job title than Seubert’s.) The first ultrastable oscillator, or USO, was used on the Voyager probes in the 1970s, and they’re still in satellites today. Even over the course of an Earth day, those satellites must be recalibrated to ensure technologies like GPS are as accurate as possible. Being off by just a millionth of a second can mean a GPS discrepancy of hundreds of meters.

Another topic

'When will be the first Thanksgiving on Mars?'

https://newmars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7330

Last edited by Mars_B4_Moon (2023-05-15 10:12:28)

#113 2023-05-15 08:47:16

tahanson43206

For Mars_B4_Moon re #112

Your post about time keeping on the Moon inspired a search to see what NewMars members might have created as topics with the word "Time".... The list is longer than I expected, but none of the topics are about the issue of keeping time away from Earth.

It is (by now) well understood (by many folks but certainly not all) that time runs at different rates depending upon the strength of the local gratational field.

A topic about time keeping might fit nicely in the Science Index.

I'll hold off on creating one, on the chance you might like to do the honors.  You are far more likely to find citations/references/examples on time keeping than most of the rest of the active membership.  On the ** other ** hand, any of us may encounter a report involving time keeping away from Earth, so having a topic available would be helpful.

If you do decide to create a topic, please think about how to make it easy to find.

(th)

#114 2023-11-23 08:17:39

tahanson43206

Today is Thanksgiving in the US.... All across the Nation kitchens are busy with preparations ... soon ovens will start pre-heating to the browning temperature, and the birds will be in final stages of thawing.   I've heard from at least one family of the active membership, with plans for a number of guests for the Day.

Best wishes to everyone for this Day, and for the (Earth) year ahead!

In my neighborhood, it is time to hang Christmas lights, so I'll be doing that later on. 

This forum has a lot to be grateful for ... We are supported by the Mars Society, we have a Webmaster among the Admins, and work is progressing nicely in the long term direction of upgrading to current level software.

We have active members who come from a wide variety of backgrounds and a wide variety of interests, so the flow of messages is abundant, and it often stretches our ability to keep up.   We have active projects under way with long term objectives, in addition to the one-time-only observations that are part of the archive.

(th)

#115 2023-11-23 08:27:52

Mars_B4_Moon

Also celebrated in other parts of the world, Brazil, Liberia, Canada, date though is different in Liberia former slaves returning to an African nation set the date at the first Thursday of November. Liberia is in West Africa, it is celebrated by some British English and by some Dutch in Holland culture, it is celebrated by orthodox Protestant churches in therNetherlands but on the first Wednesday in November.  for Canadians thanksgiving in Canada is celebrated on the second Monday in October, Norfolk Island Australian territory, the island has a historical connection with the United States but it is celebrated on the last Wednesday of November.

'When will be the first Thanksgiving on Mars'?
https://newmars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7330

#116 2023-11-23 10:03:59

SpaceNut
Administrator

Yes, thanks to all NewMars members that are here celebrating tradition. One that leaves, me cooking as I do every year to make the afternoon meal. Started the turkey as it needed to defrost before turning it over to bring it to a cooking temperature at 8Am this morning. Just finished cutting up my wife's turnip that she enjoys. Will have many more fixings and dinner rolls for the meal as well as salad and pies fresh from the store.
Of course, the Macy's day parade is playing on the tv, and it is delightful like all years to watch all the performers.

#117 2023-11-23 18:38:21

SpaceNut
Administrator

AA1kpXQX.img?w=768&h=734&m=6

just how many turkeys might we need for a mars colony to celebrate with.

How many pounds of turkey will the US Navy cook this Thanksgiving?

This year the Navy predicts CSs in their afloat galleys will prepare 85,195 pounds of roast turkey, 39,380 pounds of mashed potatoes, 23,650 pounds of stuffing, 17,600 pounds of sweet potatoes, 9,680 pounds of green bean casserole, 5,335 pounds of cranberry sauce, 3,960 gallons of gravy, and 8,635 assorted pies for sailors.

Baked ham, corn, and eggnog will also be on the menu.
The Navy’s more than 8,000 highly trained CSs play a critical role in sailor quality of life. An important part of any deployment, CSs prepare food that sustains warfighters whether they’re deployed ashore or afloat.

#118 2023-12-24 10:28:15

Mars_B4_Moon

There was a 'star' or event but the dates don't line up with historical accounts

AD and CE are abbreviations used to refer to years, the term AD stands for Anno Domini, which means “in the year of our Lord” in Latin. Star of Bethlehem, or Christmas Star, appears in the nativity story of the Gospel of Matthew chapter 2 where "wise men from the East" or Magi are inspired by the star to travel to Jerusalem, they meet King Herod of Judea. As the West goes more Atheist and more secular BC was more commonly used it stands for Before Christ and now BCE stands for Before Common Era.

Experts suggest 'The Star of Bethlehem' was a real astronomical event
https://www.unilad.com/technology/space … -20231218/

Thought to have occurred around the year 85 CE, astronomers have since weighed in on the idea that the Star could have been a genuine astronomical event.

The Gospel was originally penned in Greek, and 'αστερα' was translated as 'astra' meaning star - but this can also refer to other celestial objects like a planet or comet.

Speaking of IFLScience on the matter, Dr Greg Brown, astronomer at the Royal Observatory Greenwich in London, said: "An unusual event like a supernova would certainly be a possible candidate with one having occurred in the year 4 BCE.

Jesus was born in June? Astronomers have made several attempts to link the star to unusual celestial events, such as a conjunction of Jupiter and Saturn or Jupiter and Venus, a comet, or a supernova.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/topics/chri … claim.html

Common Errors in "Star of Bethlehem" Planetarium Shows
https://web.archive.org/web/20080516043 … _xmas.html

Today the supposed nova of 6 B.C. is often forgotten and it is stated that Kepler identified the triple conjunction with the Star of Bethlehem. This incorrect statement dates to the early 19th century when Bishop Munter of Zealand, Denmark, who apparently did not know of Kepler's work or of the nova of 1604 independently suggested that the triple conjunction alone was the Star. He wrote that since the two planets were only one degree apart, weak eyes would have made them out as a single star-clearly a false impression. In a popular chronological handbook published a few years later, Ludwig Ideler, who did not know of Kepler, incorrectly attributed Munter's hypothesis to Kepler. Munter's book was widely read while Kepler's was not, and the error became entrenched in the literature.

When determining the date of the birth of Christ, Dionysious Exiguus forgot that Caesar Augustus had ruled under the name of Octavian for four years, and thus made a four-year error.

#119 2023-12-24 12:55:03

RobertDyck
Website

Thanksgiving is a harvest festival. In Canada it's the 2nd Monday of October. In USA it's the 4th Thursday of November. The US has warmer climate so harvest is later, but the US also celebrates a day when indigenous people helped a colony. They were starving and didn't know local food. Indigenous people provided food and taught colonists how to plant/harvest/hunt. So for them Thanksgiving is to thank them for that. Europe has various harvest festivals, slightly different in each country.

Christmas is December 25, but the Bible says Christ was born in spring. Under the Julian calendar December 25 was the winter solstice. Romans celebrated Saturnalia. Various cultures had a celebration on winter solstice, many of those tradions have become part of modern Christmas.

Mars has a different orbital period, and different length of day. I believe Martians will develop their own holidays.

Last edited by RobertDyck (2023-12-25 01:04:09)

#120 2023-12-24 14:05:21

RobertDyck
Website

To everyone merry Noël / Yule / Saturnalia / Hanukkah.

#121 2023-12-24 15:14:49

SpaceNut
Administrator

Santa was in the sleigh earlier delivering presents to the son up north. Now back after the journey ready to take a nap as I have lots of presents still yet to take care of. Will be making the holiday feast tomorrow and then doing our gift exchanges. It's not the same this year as we did not even bother to put up decorations or a tree. Maybe we can get back to something more normal next year.

#122 2023-12-24 15:43:33

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #121

Thanks for telling us of Santa's journeys, and preparations for the days ahead!

Best wishes to all in your family, in your neighborhood including the grumpy neighbor, and to everyone in the forum membership.

We have a lot going on that will come to fruition in 2024, and it will be good to have everyone present to observe, to comment upon and perhaps even to guide some of those activities.

(th)

Board footer