New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: This forum is accepting new registrations by emailing newmarsmember * gmail.com become a registered member. Read the Recruiting expertise for NewMars Forum topic in Meta New Mars for other information for this process.

#1 2003-07-09 12:41:57

btubill
InActive

Re: Mars 11 Earth 4 - hostorically Mars is a hard nut to crack

This is to announce the publication for comment my research in Celestial Mechanics here at the University of Texas at Austin, called "The Theory of F and G Forces."  Everything is on my web site at http://home.austin.rr.com/cmlab/

The project begins with the premise that the two failed Mars missions lately (plus six more by the Russians years ago ~ they never did reach Mars) were NOT caused by hardware problems, but by a gravitational anomaly in the vicinity of Mars.  I develop evidence of this new aspect of gravity from fundamental theory and mathematical analysis; also with several computer studies. 

Five missions are now en route to Mars - two American, one British, one European, and one Japanese.  If my theory is even partly correct, those missions have a diminished chance of success.

Everything you need to understand this phenomenon is on my web site:

* an 80 page summary of the classical Two Body Problem (2BP) of Celestial Mechanics for those who need brushing up on the basics

* this textbook shows a series of subtle "flaws" in current theory, focusing on the f- and g-functions which are also solutions to the 2BP

* a transformation into the complex plane of the 2PB that shows three forces acting; Newtonian gravity ~ and the other two assumed to be the f- and g-forces

* a simple numerical study of the planets in our Solar System that gives a physical structure, and point of origin of these two new forces

* a computer model of the Earth to Mars trajectory that gives further support, showing these forces have physical wavefronts that combine in a typical "shock wave"

* physical evidence of these forces on the surface of Mars, near the point of origin of one of these forces, in the so-called "water wash" patterns

* another study of the Solar System results in an actual measurement of the amplitude and wavelength of these f- and g-waves (i.e. near Mars' orbit and the Sun)

I hope you have a chance to visit.

Bill Clark
UT Austin

#2 2003-07-13 21:13:28

Shaun Barrett

Hi Bill!
    Welcome to New Mars!
    I was unable to acess your work due to bandwidth problems. That may not be such a bad thing, since there's little doubt in my mind that my mathematical skills would be sorely tried by the 2BP anyhow!!  sad

You mention that you believe there is physical evidence on the surface of Mars of at least one of the forces you postulate. Is this region anywhere near Olympus Mons? If not, where is it and why do you think it shows a manifestation of the force you mention?

What qualifications do you have in theoretical physics and are you alone in your speculations about hitherto unsuspected forces? Is either of these forces possibly implicated in the unexplained motion of the Pioneer and Ulysses spacecraft in the outer solar system?

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping Up and Down.   - Rita Rudner

#3 2003-07-13 21:45:13

Free Spirit
Banned

Shaun, do you mean the Voyager and the Pioneer spacecraft?  Those are the only two probes that I know of that have managed to ditch the Solar System and encounter those anomalies.  Or maybe Ulysses has been affected by the same forces inside the Solar System?

My people don't call themselves Sioux or Dakota.  We call ourselves Ikce Wicasa, the natural humans, the free, wild, common people.  I am pleased to call myself that.  -Lame Deer

#4 2003-07-26 12:47:21

nirgal
Banned

Sometime ago I heard about another theory which explains both the unusual motion of the Pioneer and Voyager spacecrafts and the reason why galaxies hold together although they should fly apart due to centrifugal forces (unless you assume the existence of dark matter). It's called MOND for Modified Newtonian Dynamics.

MOND Powerpoint presentation

#5 2003-07-27 08:05:44

Shaun Barrett

Sorry Free Spirit, I've only been paying flying visits to New Mars lately and didn't see your questions until now.
    I was relying on memory for those spacecraft. I thought I'd read somewhere that Ulysses was affected but could be mistaken. If I get a chance, I'll check into that and let you know.
    In the meantime, the thrust of my query was to try to find out whether Btubill's forces have anything in common with the mysterious force which appears to be affecting some space probes. Or at least to find out if he thinks they might.

If you're out there Btubill, I'm still curious.   smile

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping Up and Down.   - Rita Rudner

#6 2003-07-27 09:15:20

Free Spirit
Banned

No problemo. smile  If there's a gravitational anomaly deviously lying in wait for unsuspecting probes flying to Mars it seems that the type of equipment used to measure variations in the gravitational field around Earth and Moon could detect it.  It's possible the Martian gravity field has already been studied but then again maybe the anomaly is camera shy.   :;):

My people don't call themselves Sioux or Dakota.  We call ourselves Ikce Wicasa, the natural humans, the free, wild, common people.  I am pleased to call myself that.  -Lame Deer

#7 2003-07-27 19:16:54

Shaun Barrett

I'm now in a position to respond to Free Spirit and, at the same time, provide the link BGD has requested.

For a nice summary of the 'anomalous probe behaviour' story, Click Here.

Apparently, the configuration of the Voyager probes makes it difficult to detect and measure any anomalous behaviour on their part. But some unexplained force, directed towards the Sun, has been detected with both the Pioneer probes and Ulysses. (And even Galileo was found to be affected in a similar way, but the data are regarded as unreliable because of factors associated with its relative proximity to the Sun.)
                                       smile

[Spooky stuff, huh?!!    :;):  ]

#8 2003-07-27 20:26:24

Free Spirit
Banned

Spooky alright.  They should load up the Pluto Express probe with instruments to study the phenomena (maybe slap an extra RTG on there big_smile .)

#9 2003-07-28 05:29:21

Shaun Barrett

I think placing instruments on the Pluto Express, designed specifically to investigate the anomalous force, is a great idea! If new physics comes of it, the added expense would surely be worth it.
                                         smile

Btubill may well be onto something with his hypothesis about unrecognised forces in the vicinity of Mars. I'm sure most of us here at New Mars are familiar with the 'Great Galactic Ghoul'!
    Scientists gradually came to realise, due to the very high disaster rate with Mars probes, that an invisible demon lurks near Mars - jamming thrusters, causing onboard explosions, and writing glitches into software!!

Btubill is merely attempting to explain the inexplicable by dressing it up in fancy mathematics.
    I believe you're wasting your time, Bill.
    Garlic, crucifixes, silver bullets or wooden stakes might save us from the 'Great Galactic Ghoul', but science and mathematics can't help us!
    The 2 MERs and Mars Express are all doomed ... Doomed I tell you!!!
                                  sad  yikes  tongue

Board footer