New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2002-02-15 21:58:01

space_psibrain

Re: International Space Settlement Design Competition - Space Engineering project

I propose a project known as the International Space Settlement Design Competition (SpaceSet or ISSDC) for the purposes of Educational outreach. In SpaceSet, the participants work together to design a space settlement around or on a planet, notably Mars.

The participants are divided into five groups: Structural Design, Infrastructure design, Human factors, Automations, and Business. In each group, different parts of the settlement are designed, and these parts must eventually be put together for the completed colony. This project helps students to develop cooperation, people skills, knowledge of space (and space settlement design), and an interest in science, particularly extraterrestrial science.

More information is available at http://space.bsdi.com

What do you think?

"What you don't realize about peace, is that is cannot be achieved by yielding to an enemy. Rather, peace is something that must be fought for, and if it is necessary for a war to be fought to preserve the peace, then I would more than willingly give my life for the cause of peace."

#2 2002-07-09 20:56:05

space_psibrain

Re: International Space Settlement Design Competition - Space Engineering project

If you are interested in participating in the International Space Settlement Design Competition, please contact Matthew Lee, Executive Director of the International League of Students, at psibrain@email.com

"What you don't realize about peace, is that is cannot be achieved by yielding to an enemy. Rather, peace is something that must be fought for, and if it is necessary for a war to be fought to preserve the peace, then I would more than willingly give my life for the cause of peace."

#3 2002-07-10 16:27:56

Phobos

The business aspect of the competition is an unusual part of the project.  I'd like to see all of the ideas that result from that particular competition.  Will you be posting news and results from the competition on a website if it goes gold so to speak?

To achieve the impossible you must attempt the absurd

#4 2002-07-10 22:54:10

space_psibrain

As a manner of fact, i will be posting up news and results about the project as it proceeds. At the moment, we are in the process of recruiting and training people for the next competition, which should begin in October, as well as preparing our team for competition finals at Kennedy Space Center.

#5 2002-07-17 21:24:08

space_psibrain

Just got back from the Finalist Competition at Kennedy Space Center. Difficult, but we were able to get second place...missing first place because of a printer failure that delayed our design proposal from being brought in...costing us a penalty that resulted in us losing out by 1 point. However, it was a fun competiton, and the result wasn't too bad big_smile

People...email me if you'd like to join!

#6 2002-07-19 22:26:59

space_psibrain

I would highly encourage people to join this competition, knowing that this can be a very good experience that will help students in real life, and to make friends from around the world. It is a very fun experience, but one that will help you in the future. P

My email, again, for those or you with questions/comments, or are interested in joining is psibrain@email.com

#7 2002-07-20 16:48:24

Phobos

Hmm, maybe we should enter something about making Martian concrete. smile

#8 2002-07-20 19:23:23

space_psibrain

Martian Concrete does happen to be an excellent building material for mars settlemets smile The results of the competition, and one of the design proposals, will be posted up soon. I will supply the URL as soon as it is up.

Join the International League of Students! (Info at ILSDirector@aol.com

#9 2002-07-23 06:03:41

Shaun Barrett

Huh?!!
   Did somebody say "Martian concrete"?

I happen to be quite enthusiastic about Martian concrete!!

big_smile

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping Up and Down.   - Rita Rudner

#10 2002-07-23 19:30:52

Phobos

LOL, me to.  smile  In fact I've been thinking of putting up something of a how-to website for making and pouring concrete on Mars.  I plan to illustrate it lavishly with raytraced scenes that I render since I'm a computer graphics nut. smile

#11 2002-09-29 23:34:48

space_psibrain

Of course, having more people participate in the ISSDC would be nice...as the International League of Students is looking for new talent for the design teams that participate every year. For details, contact the Executive Director of the International League of Students at ILSDirector@aol.com

#12 2003-07-25 17:26:45

space_psibrain

is that website up yet?

Board footer