New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#51 2021-01-03 12:46:19

NewMarsMember

Re: Recruiting expertise for NewMars Forum topics:

For SpaceNut .... the applicant wrote to the email address. I'll proceed as you've indicated. (th)

Recruiting High Value members for NewMars.com/forums, in association with the Mars Society

#52 2021-01-04 12:18:29

NewMarsMember

For SpaceNut ... No new applications ...

For all .... NewMarsMember * gmail.com is available to apply for membership in the NewMars forum.

We have an outstanding request for a Chef with experience planning and carrying out food operations on a large cruise liner or a military vessel.
This person is invited to assist RobertDyck with planning the Large Ship for Earth-Mars passenger service.

We have numerous other opportunities for those who have experience building organizations.  The challenge is to build organizations for Mars settlement.

(th)

Recruiting High Value members for NewMars.com/forums, in association with the Mars Society

#53 2021-01-05 15:49:02

NewMarsMember

For SpaceNut ... daily report

Your Primary tab is empty.
Personal messages and messages that don’t appear in other tabs will be shown here.

To add or remove tabs click inbox settings.

For all ... NewMarsMember * gmail.com is available to inquire about membership in the NewMars forum.

Several projects are available for support.

The current open request is for an experienced chef to assist RobertDyck in planning food service in the Large Ship for Earth/Mars trade.

This person will have experience planning and supervising food service on a large cruise liner or a comparable military vessel.

There is an opportunity for someone to assist in designing an Internal Combustion engine using CO/O2-CO2 for service on Mars.

(th)

#54 2021-01-07 12:32:40

NewMarsMember

For SpaceNut ... daily report ... no new contacts

For all ... NewMarsMember * gmail.com is available to nominate prospective members for the forum, or to apply for membership.

Active request: RobertDyck - Large Ship Project - Need experienced chef to plan flight for 1000+ people for 2 years - civilian or military experience

Opportunity: Help to design internal combustion engine and related infrastructure for Mars, using CO/O2-CO2.  Experience preferred but student OK.

(th)

#55 2021-01-08 12:20:30

NewMarsMember

For SpaceNut ... daily report ... no new contacts ...

For all ... NewMarsMember * gmail.com is available to nominate prospective members for the forum, or to apply for membership.

Active request: RobertDyck - Large Ship Project - Need experienced chef to plan flight for 1000+ people for 2 years - civilian or military experience

Opportunity: Help to design internal combustion engine and related infrastructure for Mars, using CO/O2-CO2.  Experience preferred but student OK.

There is another need ... Mars Society appears to have a wiki capability that might be suitable for permanent storage of knowledge accumulated during project development.  It would be helpful if someone were to investigate to see how that system works, and whether the NewMars knowledge could be stored there in a way that helps with project development.

The Large Ship project would benefit by having a permanent home, where specifications defined by RobertDyck are easily available for reference.

The Internal Combustion Engine project is another example of an initiative that would benefit if advice/facts from forum members could be stored permanently in a fashion that is easy for future contributors to find, and to which new additions could be made conveniently.

(th)

#56 2021-01-10 08:42:12

NewMarsMember

Event: Message from marc
Action: Forwarded to kbd512 via Technology Updates

There is another need ... Mars Society appears to have a wiki capability that might be suitable for permanent storage of knowledge accumulated during project development.  It would be helpful if someone were to investigate to see how that system works, and whether the NewMars knowledge could be stored there in a way that helps with project development.

The Large Ship project would benefit by having a permanent home, where specifications defined by RobertDyck are easily available for reference.

The Internal Combustion Engine project is another example of an initiative that would benefit if advice/facts from forum members could be stored permanently in a fashion that is easy for future contributors to find, and to which new additions could be made conveniently.

(th)

#57 2021-01-11 11:34:13

NewMarsMember

No new inquiries were received
On the other hand, no SPAM messages were received

We've gone several (Earth) days without spam, so I am guardedly hopeful only legitimate inquiries will show up at the email for NewMarsMember.

There is an opportunity to concentrate on either a piston engine design, or a closed gas turbine design for Mars.

Related opportunities exist to design construction equipment using either of the above, or an all-electric solution, or a combination to provide force to operate construction equipment designed for Mars.

(th)

#58 2021-01-13 07:51:45

NewMarsMember

For SpaceNut .... daily report

I am happy to report that we have our first inquiry from  a person who I do not already know!  I've prepared a reply and will be sending it shortly.

As soon as I can figure out how to handle the technical details, I will post the correspondence here!  The NewMars Correspondence computer is independent of the others in the local network, so it will take a few minutes to figure out how to deliver the correspondence to the NewMars forum.

Edit#1 ... well! That wasn't so hard!  I just logged into NewMars forum from the Correspondence Computer.

Policy: Because this is a global forum, each member has the opportunity to share as much personal information as they wish. As a Moderator, it is my responsibility to protect personal information, so the member can decide what to publish or keep.

Here is a portion of the message received today:

On Tue, Jan 12, 2021 at 1:55 PM (applicant) wrote:
Hi! Hope this mail finds you well. I'm writing to you because I would like to be a part of the NewMarsForum. My name is (name) from Mexico City, I'm a mechatronics engineer and right now I'm studying a MSc in Autonomous Vehicles of Aerial and Underwater Navigation at CINVESTAV. I would like to contribute to the Mars Forum with my technical knowledge in engineering, robotics, CAD design, 3d printing, mathematical modeling of dynamic systems and control. Also I'm looking forward to learning about current research about martian UAVs and rovers.

Many thanks and best regards,
(name)

Here is a portion of my reply:

Thanks for your email. And thank you for writing in English!  It will be good to have a Spanish speaker in the group for a number of reasons!  We have a member in Italy who speaks a bit of Japanese in addition to Italian. The Mars undertaking will surely be a global enterprise!

The first person admitted as a member is someone I know personally, who is working on a new CPU design. It would be most fitting to bring your interests and expertise into the group. However, since you are are first member we do not know ahead of time, we (you and I and SpaceNut and the members) will explore the procedure together.  

The first step is that I will post your application.  You will be able to find it later today in the Recruiting topic.

In planning ahead, please think about the member name you would prefer.  You can find out if the name is already taken by using the User List search tool.  If the name you want is taken  by a Spam account, I will give the account to you.

tahanson43206

Policy: Since we are setting a precedent here that will guide our future procedures, I am inviting all Registered Members to comment upon this application.  In the past, we have seen a "sink or swim" environment.  I would like to hear from someone willing to assist this prospective new member with questions that will surely come up.  The Administrators and Moderators will be here to assist as well, but I am looking for someone who will be available to correspond about any problems that might come up using private email.

Well! This is definitely encouraging! Bravo!

(th)

Last edited by NewMarsMember (2021-01-13 08:08:14)

#59 2021-01-13 18:28:59

SpaceNut
Administrator

Its encouraging...

So how did the applicant hear about this out reach would be interesting to know?

Yes the personal information is something once allowed to login can be tailored by the individual in their profile entries that they can modify as needed to show or not any details that they would want others to know about.

#60 2021-01-13 19:18:30

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #59

We have an active application.

How do you want to proceed?

I'm asking for a Registered Member to serve as a guide, so the new member is not left to "sink or swim"

The gentleman has initiated a request.

We need to develop a procedure for bringing new members into the group.

I'd prefer (if possible) that each Administrator confirm their approval.

If there are questions to be asked now is the time.

Do we have specific projects for which we'd like assistance?

Do we want to find out what the candidate wants to work on?

(th)

#61 2021-01-13 20:51:28

SpaceNut
Administrator

I did set up an introduction topic in meta for the new members to actively tread in slowly with while exploring how the posting features work. Introduction of 2021 new member area

Other than that pick up a topic and remember no flaming of others or ridicule others that mess up on facts....

Point out the forum rules for the post ownership.

Of course pick a topic of start one with your expertise is why we are reaching out to people.

Anyone can learn, do research on a topic and come back with references and such to aid as well as news for the topics developments as you do not need to be a Professor, a Doctor ect to speak about anything here.

edit:
There is no objections from me as we can always change that in the future as required if it ever gets beyond a warning for any member that breaks the rules....

#62 2021-01-13 21:19:23

tahanson43206

SpaceNut ... do you approve the application of the candidate?

kbd512 ... do you approve the application of the candidate?

RobertDyck ... do you approve the application of the candidate?

Does anyone have a question you'd like to ask the candidate?

(th)

#63 2021-01-14 08:44:53

NewMarsMember

For SpaceNut ... daily report ...

There was no new email from our applicant from Mexico ...

I sent this update in hopes he will be back soon with an ID name he'd prefer ...

...Your application seems to have been received in a subdued manner. Perhaps that is to be expected. We have just begun the process of recruiting new members.  I am willing to proceed with accepting your application, and will be ready to create an account when you return the name you wish to use.

As you have studied the forum, you will recognize that we have at least 3 PhD level members, and several Masters level ones, including a working engineer who lives in Northern England.  His expertise is nuclear power, which is sure to be of great importance on Mars.

SpaceNut has inquired about how you discovered us, so perhaps at some point you could help us to improve our outreach efforts ...

(th)

#64 2021-01-14 10:12:02

kbd512
Administrator

tahanson43206,

Yes, I'd like the candidate to briefly explain his personal interest in Mars exploration.

#65 2021-01-14 11:36:38

tahanson43206

For kbd512 re #64

Thanks for your feedback!

I'll forward your question immediately.

Edit#1 ... your request was included in my reply to the most recent message from our candidate.

Because our candidate replied to SpaceNut's inquiry, I am asking the candidate to reply to your request as his first post after connecting.

In the next post I'll show the latest correspondence.  I hope this will be acceptable to everyone!

I decided it is more convenient for our new member to reply to you directly on the forum, and (this is a judgement call obviously) I am confident he will do so.

(th)

Last edited by tahanson43206 (2021-01-14 13:34:41)

#66 2021-01-14 13:47:10

NewMarsMember

Latest correspondence with candidate:

Hi (name) ... thanks for your reply !!! I'll set up the User Name you requested shortly.

There ** is ** a request from kbd512 which I'm hoping you will find interesting.

Please work up a draft reply so you have it ready to post after your new account is set up.

http://newmars.com/forums/viewtopic.php … 58#p175858

Just Fyi ... Because we are manually setting up new members now, things work a little differently than they did previously.
I'll notify you when the new account is ready.  You will not be able to log in, because the password is left behind your password we  will send a replacement password to your email.  As soon as you receive it, log in and change it to what you prefer.

The passwords are encrypted so we can't see them.

If you have any problems, just contact me here.

(th)

On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 1:54 PM (candidate) wrote:
Hi tahanson43206

Thanks, I'll be thrilled to be part of the Forum! The username I'd like to use is "CaptJTorriani".

Responding to SpaceNut's question, I discovered the NewMarsForum in a post from the Mars Society Discussion Group "Mission Design Concepts".

(th)

Edit had to remove the content for how spammers might gain an account...

#67 2021-01-14 15:01:14

tahanson43206

As a follow up to the request for membership by CaptJTorriani, here is a bit of history ...

https://brill.com/view/book/97890043209 … 18_009.xml

We  have  seen  how  Padre  Sigüenza  wrote  that,  after  the  imperial  abdication,
Janello  Torriani
  was  accustomed  to  entertain  Charles  V  with  “reloxes  y  otros ingenios”,  which  means  clocks  and  other  devices.1 

What  other  devices? 

This sibylline sentence keeps open the possibility for different interpretations. For instance, both Spanish and Italian literary sources convey an image of Janello Torriani as an ingenious automata maker.

Contemporary and later reports tell stories  that  almost  recall  the  atmosphere  of  fairy-tales,  in  which  Janello  was said to have invented a number of mechanical prodigies almost impossible to believe:  according  to  these  traditions  the  clockmaker  had  crafted  a  watch  so tiny that it could be put in a ring, automata of different size and function, made in  the  shape  of  dancing  dolls,  soldiers  that  could  fight  as  if  on  a  battlefield, fighting  dogs,  or  even  flying  birds.2  The  further  we  go  in  time  from  the  six-teenth  century,  the  greater  the  interest  shown  by  historiography  for  these oddities. As in the children’s game Chinese whispers, it seems that in Torriani’s story news gets distorted in the passage from one teller to another: thus, Janello morphs  from  a  court  clockmaker  to  a  kind  of  a  wizard.  In  Italy  there  were rumours  of  perpetual  motion  machines  and  in Toledo,  late  sources  from  the following century describe how the clockmaker had made a wooden automa-ton that went every day to collect Janello’s meal at the palace of the Archbishop to bring it back to his master. What kind of truth are these stories telling us?One story, which started to circulate in the late seventeenth century, stated that Janello, on encountering the Emperor for the first time, had offered him a special present: a ring with a watch in the place of the jewel:Very small wheels in glorious though very minute rotations regulated its movements.  By  lightly  pricking  the  finger  [with  a  small  hidden  nail],  it marked each of the hours, which were also marked on the dial by num-bers,  which,  though  certainly  very  tiny,  were  sufficiently  visible.  This marvellous little watch was greatly loved by the Emperor, both for its rare symmetry and for the perfect arrangement of its exquisite work. He could ...

1 See in this book the section: A Clock Broth for the Emperor.2

See: Zanetti, Janello Torriani, a Renaissance Genius.©   Koninklijke Brill NV, Leiden, 2 017 | d oi 10. 1 16 3/9 7 8 9 0 0 4 3 2 0 91 8 _ 0 0 9

(th)

#68 2021-01-14 18:13:11

SpaceNut
Administrator

I see that  Capt. J. Torriani has joined the mission design page 6 days ago and the bio of design should fit with the large ship and surface mission support nicley.

I found that the mars societies membership page now has over 2000 accounts spread out in the 8 topic groupings but for the most part there is no posts to speak of and those that have are spammers....

#69 2021-01-14 18:46:44

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #68

Thanks for this update on our new member candidate's participation in the Mars Society member web site.

I think we are fortunate to have caught his interest, and I hope we can collaborate on projects.

(th)

#70 2021-01-15 09:21:31

NewMarsMember

For SpaceNut ... daily report ... no correspondence this AM. (th)

#71 2021-01-16 08:12:17

NewMarsMember

For SpaceNut .... daily report ... no correspondence this AM ... I decided to try sending a test email from the new account, in hopes that would confirm I set up the email address correctly.  This procedure is still in the early stages, and there are plenty of things that could go wrong.

(th)

#72 2021-01-16 11:25:16

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut ... here is an update to the ID Recovery procedure using the revised Query:

Notes for Not Verified accounts Recovery
Revised 2021/01/16 due to change in Query
The Query parameter was changed: old: user_group=-1 new: user_group=0

Using three screens:

On left, spreadsheet

Column1: Previous day’s batch of 22 ID’s with green background (signals completed)
Column2: Current day’s batch with white background
Additional columns to right for in-process notes

In Center: Browser opened to NewMars forum

On Right: Browser opened to NewMars forum

Procedure:

Starting in center screen:

Open Not Verified query. The first page contains Not Verified items
Click on the top item to bring up the Essentials page
Click on the title “Username” this will cause the text window to become highlighted
Enter “TextID” into the window, followed by the five digits as shown next in Screen 1
Tab to the email window and enter “TextID#####@test.com”
Tab ten times to the Admin Notes window and enter: Updated yyyymmdd by aaaaaaaa
Enter again to save(Submit) the record

Upon display of the updated Essentials page, click on Administration

Click on [Ban user]  (this is needed to move the record to the bans table)

In [Ban Advanced Settings] screen:

Note that ID is highlighted by default … visually confirm the ID is correct

Tab to the IP addresses window and press Backspace to clear it (no IP’s to be banned)

Tab to the email window (if it contains an old address) and enter the email address

Tab again to reach Ban message window: Enter “Upd: yyyy/mm/dd”  (short text here)

Press Enter twice to save (Submit) the record

Result: The New ban page will appear … with all fields empty

Now proceed to Screen 3

Given that the screen was previously positioned in the bans table, enter Ctrl/F5 to refresh the query.  Confirm the updated TestID##### is present

Now go back to Screen 1 and update the spreadsheet by advancing the row pointer to the ID just completed.

Return to screen 2

Using the Backarrow control on the Browser, select the Search command used previously

Refresh the query … note that the Not Verified entry just processed is gone

Proceed to find the next Not Verified entry.

Page down as necessary

Advance to the next page (of 393) as necessary

Return to the top of these instructions (Loop until Not Verified are gone from list)

Notes are as of 2021/01/16 (th)

#73 2021-01-17 12:54:55

NewMarsMember

For SpaceNut (and kbd512) ... daily report

We have another note from CaptJT ...

Hi , sorry I didn't reply yesterday; I had a very long day and ended up really tired.

Today I'll continue reading the posts about "educationdoneright" by GW Johnson and the topic "Large scale colonization ship" by Robert Dyck.
I've just changed my password and successfully logged in, so I think everything is fine now with my account. In the evening I'm going to proceed with my first post about "My personal interest in Mars exploration".

I'm trying to organize my schedule to become a more active member of the Forum since I'm really interested in it.
Many thanks for guiding me in this process!  Probably I'll have some doubts while posting, so if that is the case I'll let you know.

I'd like to invite everyone who is a Registered Member, and who is currently active, to think about how we can make the the experience for this new member as enjoyable and rewarding as possible.

I have said it before and will say it again as often as necessary ... the people who will be in the new communities on Mars are alive and in school or just out of school on Earth.

CaptJT is a model for the generation which is going to be doing the hard work of preparing for the journey, carrying out the actual transport of people and supplies safely to the new environment, and then succeeding in creating a self-sustaining community in coming decades.

In order to fund the expedition at a Normandy scale, a fair number of the folks who are in this cohort will be creating businesses on Earth on the scale of Elon Musk, Jeff Bezos and Bill Gates before them.

We are talking about attracting a cohort of job creators to this forum, to lead in creating the businesses that will provide employment for thousands and in some cases millions of people on Earth.

(th)

Last edited by NewMarsMember (2021-01-17 12:55:30)

#74 2021-01-17 13:06:14

SpaceNut
Administrator

Thanks for the follow up as it sounds very promising.

We do need to becareful of the many open spammer accounts with regards to posting processes as to not to allow them any back doors into spamming.

#75 2021-01-17 14:11:07

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #74

If I understand your caution in Post #74 correctly, there is a need for an automated process to ban selected spammer created accounts.

I have submitted a request for assistance to the FluxBB.org forum, and will report back as soon as (if) a reply arrives.

However, my earlier request for assistance was given all the attention I could ask for, and the solution was exactly right, once the volunteers understood what I was doing that caused the problem.  In that case, I was misinterpreting a label on one of the forum pages.

In this case, I've asked for assistance with a query to ban ID's which are Registered Members but which have no posts and are at least some period of time old, which you would specify at run time.

(th)

Board footer