New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#26 2020-11-21 12:43:05

tahanson43206

Re: Recruiting expertise for NewMars Forum topics:

For SpaceNut re #25

I'm picking up on your opening line .... We would surely want (and need) Mars Society approval for a Letters to the Editor recruiting campaign.

Is there anyone in the current forum membership who is willing to help secure that approval?

How high would it have to go?  The Brass Ring would be an all-clear from Dr. Zubrin, but that may be too much to ask for.

I didn't know the history of that expression so asked Google:

What is the meaning and history of the phrase “to grab the ...
www.quora.com › What-is-the-meaning-and-history-of-th...
Jun 22, 2019 — The brass ring was the top prize on a carousel ride. If you could reach from your carousel animal, often a horse, and manage to grab that brass ...

(th)

Last edited by tahanson43206 (2020-11-21 12:43:29)

#27 2020-11-22 12:11:52

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut .... The web site at the link below contains a lot more advice and information than this forum can handle right now.

It ** does ** contain concepts that I hope will start the thought process that will lead ultimately to someone taking action to recruit high-value members.

https://www.causevox.com/blog/nonprofit … anagement/

A concept that caught my eye is to advertise for the job to be performed, rather than just asking for volunteers.

At present, the example we have on hand is RobertDyck's request for an experienced chef to help with design of the food service component of the Large Ship project. 

It seems reasonable (to me at least) to approach the leadership structure of the Mars Society to obtain guidance on how to proceed.

Any formal outreach to the public should be done within whatever guidelines may exist internally.

It would be useful to know what those are, assuming they exist.

(th)

#28 2020-11-22 15:46:24

SpaceNut
Administrator

#29 2020-11-22 18:28:01

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #28

Thanks for the link to the Steering Committee ... the name that I recognized (other than Buzz Aldrin and Dr. Zubrin) is:

James Burk
Washington State
James is a founding member of the Mars Society and was the lead organizer and event technologist for our successful 2020 Virtual Convention.  He’s been our Director of Information Technology since 2011, maintaining our online web and social media presence and leading many of our digital initiatives including MarsVR and Marspedia.org.  A software engineer and technical project manager formerly with Microsoft, James has worked for over 20 years on Agile software development projects, and has led commercial, volunteer and student teams to create a great many large & cutting-edge software solutions. James was XO of Crew 197 at MDRS and is commanding an upcoming crew in 2021.

I'm impressed that Mr. Burk has served as XO for one tour at the Mars Simulation, and will command an entire tour in 2021!

(th)

#30 2020-11-23 08:59:33

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #28

The next time Mr. Burk stops by this forum, it would be appropriate to inquire about the possibility of support for the recruiting initiative underway in this topic.

The request we are working on is to find an experienced chef with large cruise ship experience (or comparable large group experience) to assist with planning requirements to feed 1066 people well in a moving space vehicle for two years. 

The military (US and others) actually performs planning and execution of plans to feed thousands of people all over the world for years at a time.

However, there is a need for an experienced recruiter of non-profit volunteers for the larger objective, which is to find people to help with ** all ** aspects of the large ship design. 

(th)

#31 2020-11-24 08:05:01

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re ID recovery ... 199-220 are ready for unbanning.

220 ID's are now ready for new, high value members. 

The first person recruited into this new environment may be the most challenging.  We need to answer a lot of questions at this point ...

The ** kind ** of person we'd like to recruit seems to follow from the requisition by RobertDyck ...

The person will be experienced in subject matter, knowledgeable about the field, energetic enough to have time to invest, and generous of spirit.

Ideally (in this particular case) it would be helpful if the person we recruit is willing to provide guidance on how to use available Internet tools to create a repository of planning documents that can be reviewed by prospective funders. 

This next item is primarily for SpaceNut ... all are welcome to the update:
I have added a couple of references to Post #2: http://newmars.com/forums/viewtopic.php … 58#p165858

The study guide was gifted by an employee of Turner Construction who was in town to help to build a hotel. 
The book is for non-profit organizations such as the Mars Society.

My intention (and hope) is to post little excerpts from these references as opportunity arises and as energy and time permit.

(th)

Last edited by tahanson43206 (2020-11-24 09:56:29)

#32 2020-11-24 19:16:54

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut (primarily but all are welcome) ...

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/tapp … ket-newtab

At the innovative design firm IDEO, instead of cultural fit, they emphasize cultural contribution, a term coined by Diego Rodriguez. The goal isn’t to find and promote people who clone the culture; it’s having the humility to bring in people who will stretch and enrich the culture by adding elements that are absent. That’s something every organization needs to revisit every year, because what’s missing from the culture changes over time.

I thought this article, and specifically the quoted paragraph, might fit the challenge faced by NewMars.com/forum as it considers how to attract high value members to help with projects.

(th)

#33 2020-11-30 10:46:49

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut (primarily but all are welcome) ...

Google Search:

*** cruise ship chef job search

About 3,090,000 results (0.68 seconds)

$37k-$94k Executive Chef Cruise Ship Jobs (NOW HIRING ...www.ziprecruiter.com › Jobs › Executive-Chef-Cruise-...
Browse 53 EXECUTIVE CHEF CRUISE SHIP Jobs ($37K-$94K) hiring now from companies with ... Cruise Ship Hiring All Positions-Cooks-Housekeeping-Bar.

People also ask
How much does an executive chef on a cruise ship make?
How much do you get paid to work on a cruise ship?
How do you become a chef on a cruise ship?
What course should I take if I want to work in a cruise ship?
Feedback

$29k-$96k Cruise Ship Chef Jobs (NOW HIRING) | ZipRecruiterwww.ziprecruiter.com › Jobs › Cruise-Ship-Chef
15 Cruise Ship Chef Jobs · Executive Chef - 2021 Season · Cruise Ship Hiring All Positions-Cooks-Housekeeping-Bar... · Executive Sous Chef for Cruise Line · Lead ...

Executive Chef - Cruise Ship Jobswww.cruiseshipjob.com › cruise-ship-executive-chef-jobs
Cruise line job opportunities for Executive Chef position. ... positions within the Galley Department, such as Chef de Cuisine, Executive Sous Chef, Sous Chef, ...

Culinary Department | Royal Caribbean Shipboard Careerswww.royalcareersatsea.com › pages › culinary
Also known for its innovation, Royal Caribbean International has brought cruise ship dining into the 21st century and beyond. With concepts ranging from ...

Executive Chef Jobs on Cruise Ships - Cruise Job Finderwww.cruisejobfinder.com › jobs › departments › hotel
The Executive Chef is the one person that is responsible for everything related to the quality of food on a cruise ship. They manage all of the various cook staff and ...

Chef Jobs on Cruise Ships | Sous Chef, Pastry and Chef de ...www.cruisejobfinder.com › JobDescriptions › cruise_c...
There are a large number of chefs and positions that will be needed on a cruise liner. The main ones are: Cruise ship executive chef; Cruise ship sous chef ...

Cruise Ship Chef Jobs - Chef de Partie, Executive Chef, Sous ...www.jobmonkey.com › chefjobs › cruise-chef
Most cruise liner companies only offer executive chef positions to chefs with more than 8 years in the industry in a subordinate position. The executive chef will ...

Chef Position Cruise Ship Jobs, Employment | Indeed.comwww.indeed.com › q-Chef-Position-Cruise-Ship-jobs
10 Chef Position Cruise Ship jobs available on Indeed.com. Apply to Line Cook, ... Executive Chef - 2021 Season. American ... Employers: Post a Job. Related to ...

Cruise Ship Executive Chef Jobs, Vacancies & Careers ...www.catererglobal.com › jobs › cruise-ship-executive-c...
Responsible for approving all prepared food items that leave his kitchen. Modify and create new menus as needed so that they remain effective for the purposes ...

Cruise Ship Jobs. Chef jobs, executive chef jobs, sous chef ...www.cruiselinejob.com › galley
The cold galley positions include baking, pastry, and buffets. With all of this food preparation and dining, there has to be a team responsible for cleaning up after ...

Searches related to jobs posting for executive chef for cruise ship

cruise ship executive chef salary
cruise ship chef jobs
cruise ship jobs
kitchen hierarchy in cruise ship
kitchen helper cruise ship
how to become a chef on a cruise ship
pastry jobs in cruise ships
cruise ship chef job vacancies

The NewMars recruiting effort would be to find someone who has achieved success, and who is interested in contributing to the evolution of the human story to include travel and living away from Earth.

The time required need not be great, but the quality of the advice provided would (could/should) influence the future directly.

The specific need to be addressed is planning provisioning a Large Ship for a two year voyage with 1066 people.

(th)

#34 2020-11-30 18:09:03

SpaceNut
Administrator

Finding the right people for free is going to be a problem if we want the experts in the fields to give up the knowledge that they might assist with is less likely.
So why not find a means to have them do so for the analog sites as part of crew members.
We must find a way to give compensation to those that we would want to entertain here or they will be short lived...
Take for instance the phd in botany member that we made contact with recently.
Thats the expertise we need but getting the aid in the actual design of the life support system that contains biologist for life support is critical for sustainability of a colony.

#35 2020-11-30 19:33:36

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #34

There are people in this world who are not motivated by money.

There are people in this world who have great expertise and who are not motivated by money.

The challenge for ** this ** group is to find/contact such people, and to persuade them that something worth their investment of time is happening.

To imagine that money is the only motivation for persons who have completed productive careers is perceived by some of them as insulting.

I'd have to go back to check, but I ** think ** it is the Hindu tradition that divides a lifetime into phases, the last of which is devoted to extended "giving back".

We need to catch people who are in that phase while they still have ability and some residual energy, and before everything inevitably fades.

(th)

Last edited by tahanson43206 (2020-11-30 19:34:05)

#36 2020-12-17 11:15:49

tahanson43206

This is for RobertDyck ...

You are the only member of the NewMars forum who I ** know ** is a paid-up Mars Society member.

Would you be willing to test the theory that SpaceNut and I are developing, for how to bring new members into this forum.

The theory is that a person who has been admitted to the Mars Society can send a message to SpaceNut using the new forum that Mr. Burk has created for members.

If you can test the theory, it would allow us to publish the procedure as part of the process of bringing new members into the forum.

The advantages (that I see at least) are (a) The new member is vetted by the Mars Society and (b) The Mars Society benefits with $25.

(th)

#37 2020-12-19 08:49:21

tahanson43206

There is need for assistance in solving the problem of communication between members of the Mars Society who have access to the members forum in marssociety.org, and SpaceNut, who has a presence in that forum.

The assistance needed is very specific ... There needs to be a way for a Mars Society member to communicate with SpaceNut IN THE Mars Society members forum, so that SpaceNut will know of their interest in joining the NewMars forum.

There is a supply of thousands of ID's available for new members in the NewMars forum.

Any Administrator can modify one of the available ID's for use by a candidate member.

Potentially a Moderator can perform the same service, although at this point, it seems reasonable to me for that work to be done by an Administrator.

If anyone who reads this message is a member of the Mars Society AND is also a member of the NewMars forum, please see if you can solve the problem of communication with SpaceNut in the Mars Society members forum, and then report your solution here.

The goal is to be able bring new members into this forum AFTER they have been vetted as real persons by the Mars Society.

(th)

#38 2020-12-22 10:21:52

tahanson43206

As of this date, there is still no known way to communicate between members of the Mars Society and SpaceNut in the marssociety.org members forum.

Until that problem is resolved, the only way for new members to be brought into the NewMars community is by nomination by existing members.

If anyone in the registered membership knows a candidate who might be able to contribute to the forum, please nominate that person to SpaceNut.

A post in this topic would work well, although SpaceNut will probably see a post in any topic.

The outstanding requisition is for a chef to assist RobertDyck with planning the Large Ship food services.  The ideal candidate will be someone with decades of experience managing food procurement and delivery on a large cruise ship, or a large military vessel, or both, and who is willing to contribute to the large Ship project on a pro-bono basis.

(th)

Last edited by tahanson43206 (2020-12-22 10:22:38)

#39 2020-12-24 09:04:12

tahanson43206

Offer of Registration Application Contact Procedure (2020/12/24 Earth time)

If there are readers of this forum who are NOT already members, and who would like to contribute, we have a problem.  At present, we have no mechanism through which you might be able to communicate a desire to participate.

There ** is ** a solution, but it is convoluted.  On the other hand, if you are the kind of person who would like to assist with this topic or any other, a minor hurdle or two would be of little consequence.

I am a regular contributor to Dr. Lewis Dartnell's Knowledge forum.  Dr. Dartnell does NOT accept unvetted registrations, but he ** does ** allow registration applications to appear, and spammers show up there periodically.  The registration application form contains a Signature line.  That line can be used to communicate with me.  It is like a Tweet in length, but it is more than sufficient for you to establish contact.

I'll keep an eye on the registrations to see if anyone wanting NewMars membership shows up.  Be sure to include NewMars in the name of the registration, or in the Signature line, so I know the application is for the NewMars forum and not just another spammer.

The Open Requisition we have now is for a Chef manager to assist RobertDyck with planning food service for the Large Ship (Mars/Earth circuit)

This person will have decades of  experience managing procurement and delivery of food for a cruise liner or a large military vessel or both.

This person will be of generous spirit and willing to assist RobertDyck on a pro-bono basis.

For information about the Large Ship initiative, look for the Large Ship topic in the Interplanetary Transportation Index level.

We also would be able to provide an opportunity for someone interested in the ideas posted in SpaceNut's Internal Combustion engines for Mars topic.

The interest I have in this undertaking is to encourage accumulation of the lists of materials, components, systems and skills that a Mars-bound expedition would need to take along to insure successful installation of a viable and sustainable IC infrastructure on Mars.

There are numerous other topics suggested by members of this forum over 20+ years of its existence.

It is thanks to the generosity of members of the Mars Society, and to donors, that the NewMars forum remains available.

SearchTerm:Offer of Registration Contact Procedure

(th)

Last edited by tahanson43206 (2020-12-24 09:29:28)

#40 2020-12-30 08:53:09

tahanson43206

Today (Sol 630) the NewMars forum ID recovery project reached a milestone ...

1000 ID's have been recovered, and after SpaceNut completes unbanning later today, they will all be ready for new members.

However, the new member campaign has not yet yielded a single new member ...

I have arranged for a dedicated computer to accept email to NewMarsMember@gmail.com

I'd appreciate someone testing the new portal.  Please note that the email address you use will be visible to me.

On the assumption you'd prefer to keep any email address you use as private, I will treat the NewMarsMember account the same as the NewMars users table. You have the option of making email visible or not.  I will assume for NewMarsMember the default is NOT visible to the public.

If you have someone in mind who you think would be a valuable new member of the forum, please contact that person and find out if they would be interested in helping to move various projects forward.

The lead project is the Large Ship initiative by RobertDyck, but there are numerous others that have been suggested and which would be appropriate for someone interested in becoming part of a later wave of Mars settlers.

SpaceNut has created a topic for developing, building, testing and deploying Internal Combustion engines on Mars.

In this undertaking SpaceNut received technical advice from GW Johnson and kbd512.

Please add projects to this list as you think of them.

Calliban set up the possibility of an Asteroid Mining expedition.

In addition, Calliban had several suggestions for a variety of activities on Mars.

(th)

Last edited by tahanson43206 (2020-12-30 08:58:27)

#41 2020-12-30 08:59:46

NewMarsMember

This is a test from NewMarsMember account. (th)

Recruiting High Value members for NewMars.com/forums, in association with the Mars Society

#42 2020-12-30 10:25:16

SpaceNut
Administrator

sent test message

Announcement: We've recently made changes to our user database and have removed inactive and spam users. If you can not login, please re-register.

What I am thinking of is altering the message to one which would state the request for expertise to draw in people with the email in the line to be a trail effort...

we do have a limited character message field for what can be displayed to put our message within.

#43 2020-12-30 11:02:46

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #42

Thanks for the confirmation email!

The portal is closed for today, and will re-open tomorrow about the time the Mars Calendar post goes up.

As a cautionary note ... the newmarsmember email account is subject to the spam filter on Google.

If an application email hits the Google spam filter for some reason, I'll have no way of knowing.

The system is running on a Windows 10 OS, and the connection meets Google requirements.  The browser is Edge. 

I hope we are able to bring high value members into the forum, to complement the many proven high-value members we already have.

(th)

#44 2020-12-30 17:36:18

SpaceNut
Administrator

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

Do not know if it will fit yet as it may need to be boiled down a bit but what do you think...
We may be able to add links and other things in the area as well.

#45 2020-12-30 18:20:30

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #44

Thank you for helping us (forum members) to start thinking about how we might approach recruiting new members to help with the massive projects that are chafing at the bit to start developing.

I am hoping this initiative will encourage a few folks to join the Mars Society.  I've decided to take the plunge next year at the Senior level.  I've been hanging out in New Mars forum for over two years and haven't contributed a nickel to support the enterprise.  I'm pretty sure I was a member years ago, but the Great Crash probably wiped the slate clean, so I'll get a new member number.

(th)

#46 2021-01-02 18:06:12

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut (primarily, although this should be good news for all current members) ...

I have received an inquiry about possible membership in the forum.  The candidate would be interested in a professional relationship with the forum.

Because you would be the first new member to be admitted in this new phase, I'm hoping you will be willing to break trail for those who (I hope will) follow ...

We set up an email that I will monitor for applications: NewMarsMember * gmail.com

Please drop me a request there, and indicate the name you would like to use, and the email address to which you would like to have the temporary password emailed.

Chances are whatever name you prefer will be available, but if it is "owned" by a spam account, I can make short work of it.  It is unlikely the email you prefer is already used, but if a spam account came up with it by hacking, I can make short work of that as well.

Once we've set up the account for you, you would attempt to log in, but since the password was left over from the spammer, you'll have to use the "I forgot" button.  The FluxBB package should send you a temporary password.  Use that, and then (of course) immediately change the password to something you prefer.

You will have control over the information you want the public to see, from almost nothing to a bit more than that.

SpaceNut, I am thinking that the best way to proceed (assuming the application arrives) is for me to forward the application to you for your review.

Upon successful review of the application, you can complete the process or let me take care of it.

If you see anything that I missed, please let me know.

(th)

#47 2021-01-02 20:47:38

SpaceNut
Administrator

Nice to hear.

#48 2021-01-03 08:56:23

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut (and anyone else who may be interested) ...

As a New (Earth) Year's Resolution, I decided to upgrade my honorary membership in the Mars Society to "paid" status.  I completed the ultra-simple process today, and got a nice message saying the payment had been accepted, but after that, nothing happened.  I'm not sure if there is a time delay.  There might be.

In any case, I decided to send an email to the person at the membership inquiry button:

Hi (cfay) ...

I was given honorary access to marssociety.org by James Burk.

I've been helping SpaceNut at the NewMars Forum for a while.

Today I decided to formalize membership in the Mars Society.

I completed a Paypal payment.  It may take a while for the payment to go through.

When I went to check the member record, there was nothing in the ID field.

Will something appear there?

I have another (much more practical) question ...

For some time, SpaceNut and I have been trying to figure out how members of the Mars Society can communicate with each other.

NewMars forum has closed off intake via the Register button, due to the number of spam registrations. They accumulated into the multiple thousands, and I estimate it will take over two Earth years to review them and upgrade the accounts to usable status.

We had originally thought about requesting that prospective members of the forum should be Mars Society members. That would accomplish two things ... First, it would "vet" the applicant as a real person with a real financial account, and second, it would increase the number of paid members of the Mars Society.

However, in pursuing this, SpaceNut and I discovered (or at least ** I ** discovered) there is no way to communicate between members of the Mars Society.

Thanks for taking the time to consider this inquiry.

Also ... if for some reason, you would like to become a member of the NewMars forum, you can reach me via this email, or you can use the new account we set up for that purpose:

NewMarsMember * gmail.com

Either way, I will forward  your inquiry to SpaceNut, who will decide whether or not to proceed with the request.  If the answer is yes (which I would expect in your case) we will take one of the recovered spam ID's and turn it over to you.

(th)

(th)

Last edited by tahanson43206 (2021-01-03 08:58:07)

#49 2021-01-03 10:26:43

SpaceNut
Administrator

Sounds like a plan that gets bang for the buck. Currently I am still on cellphone mode as there is an account misalignment for when it starts measured data tethering and when the account needs funds until the 6th.
Since you can modify the account and see the email for membership why not just go and reconfigure the starting I'd 000001 and make the record change. Since you have the means. We can set up an introduction topic for the new members.

#50 2021-01-03 10:56:53

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #49

OK .... haven't checked the NewMarsMember email yet but will shortly.  If the applicant is there I'll proceed per your advice.

We can add to the procedure as needed.  This is an experiment to see if everything works as hoped.  Elon would approve, I'm sure!

(th)

Board footer