New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: This forum is accepting new registrations by emailing newmarsmember * gmail.com become a registered member. Read the Recruiting expertise for NewMars Forum topic in Meta New Mars for other information for this process.

#1 2003-07-19 11:45:45

Palomar

Re: Svalbard - Ja?

Read Me

Interesting...

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#2 2003-07-19 14:23:20

prometheusunbound
Banned
Website

Yes.  And the naysayers claim that mars is a total desert, but it is clear NASA is expecting something else.  Why would NASA go through the trouble of svalbard if it is a desert? 

Hans EF Amundsen, a researcher at the University of Oslo who will lead the group, said many places on Svalbard resemble those on Mars. "There are volcanoes, glaciers, warm springs that shoot up from the permafrost and landslides dotting the landscape," Amundsen told newspaper Aftenposten.

It reminds me that in 1790s the great plains were refered to as the "Great American Desert" and written as worthless. . . .

"I am the spritual son of Abraham, I fear no man and no man controls my destiny"

#3 2024-05-08 06:54:04

Mars_B4_Moon

an old topic

and sometimes we had analogy, Svalbard was in fact 'The Moon' and the New World was the temptation like Mars.

When the Chinese say they want to bring back a MSR before NASA people are not sure they are looking at Mars? Does nobody believe China's ultimate goal is Mars?

what if instead of going to the America's the Empires of the French, Spanish, British and Portuguese but all their effort into trying to make 'Svalbard' profitable and the Old World never sailed to? the 'New World' manned mission would only happen after they made 'Svalbard' an economic and civilization success, Svalbard the mission and the ships never brought a new culture to the Americas.

I visited the little Russian town that's inside a NATO country and it was spookily quiet
https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/18 … TO-country
Svalbard, sitting 800 miles from the North Pole, is governed by Norway but hosts a tiny Russian settlement.

Perhaps NASA also desires a spookily quiet ability to go and make Lunar culture like Svalbard culture, prove it can be done and maybe build a ghost town on the Moon.

Board footer