New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2003-07-17 15:16:03

wiolawa

Re: UNMASKING MARS WITH FLMASK.. anyone tried it yet - filters for mars landscape and detection

this is from my forum on wiolawapress.. there is a link also for downloading the FL MASK.  the link on this message doesnt work for some reason unless you are a member of the url site.. so.. here goes..

Unmasking NASA pictures
Hi all, thought I?d pass some info on about unmasking NASA pictures..
like a lot of people I?d spent a long time going through Mars pix via msss.com - and noticed what appeared to be odd shapes in the larger Pathfinder pix (the smaller ones in color are useless for analysis)
Cutting a long story short, I went hunting for a useful app, and began relooking at NASA pix and - NASA have been masking their space pix since day one - layering false surface textures and flattening vertical objects so that what is actually there, cant be seen (or at least comprehended easily) by the naked eye. A lot of what people consider anomalous structures, are ironically just by-products of NASA obscuring something else that?s widespread across the Moon, and Mars.

Rather than tell you straight out what?s there - in terms of tools, you need a fairly hard to find tool called ?FL MASK? (it?s used by mostly Jap manga fans to uncensor pictures) - this can peel off the fake surface textures that almost all Moon and Mars pictures are layered with.. (use the bilinear and blur tools to start to strip the masking textures off)

Some hints:

First off - a large number of the lunar ?mountains? - are photographic negatives that NASA has incorporated into the picture - select those very light-looking mountains, (the ones that appear to be lit by ?sunlight?) reverse them to negative, lighten the picture and enlarge it, and you?ll see a glimpse of the actual lunar landscape - and if you have high-rez pix, you?ll be able to see partly what NASA have been scrambling to do damage control on, since long before Apollo.

This using of a negative mixed in with an otherwise ?real? looking picture, to obscure and flatten detail, is used in a lot of the Mars pictures as well.

Second: As you?ll discover with FL MASK, a lot of the ?shadows? - in the lunar photographs, are drawn on, and the real surface and landscape are below and often slightly out of focus. Not all but many of what appear to be ?craters? are often parts of what?s underneath thats been drawn on to ?make? a crater..

Third, almost all the Mars pix showing what appear to be smooth empty landscapes, are anything but smooth and empty - keep an eye out for supposedly minor textures on the ground - as they?re usually shadows of other things beneath. (NASA/JPL have gotten very good at making vertical objects appear flat and horizontal - so almost all NASA pix are a fascinating example of deliberate use of optical illusion, to hide the reality..

Fourth, specifically with lunar surfaces - the actual surface is generally very cluttered and full - so if you start experimenting and discover both a lot of ?objects? (as well as color emerging from what seemed to be black and white pictures - this is normal)

I?ve been assembling various examples of aspects of NASA image- tampering, and have put a small pdf file up online of a portion of the larger work - showing mainly the negative-as-positive trick in action, as well as a couple of other minor unmaskings, showing some interesting bits and pieces.. you?ll need to rename the file to *.pdf
(http://www.fortunecity.com/victorian/orwell/93/nasaall.txt )

(and yup, part of what I was referring to, is visible in some of the pix)
hope this inspires some folks to experiment and start examining their space pix..
all the best

Ian Fraser
Johannesburg

iriskkerry
6/22/2003
11:55 pm EDT
Re: Unmasking NASA
--------------------
sovereignty for HU_MANITY on EArth..
------------------------------------------------------------------------
vcosmo
Teacher

Member # 74

Member Rated:

Visited by moderator 2022/01/28

#2 2003-07-17 18:53:48

Shaun Barrett

Re: UNMASKING MARS WITH FLMASK.. anyone tried it yet - filters for mars landscape and detection

Hey Josh!
    As one of our resident imaging gurus here, can you investigate Ian's claims and give us your opinion as to what it's all about?
    I'm too clueless with computers to make any sense of it.

Thanksalot!     smile

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping Up and Down.   - Rita Rudner

#3 2003-07-18 08:20:12

prometheusunbound
Banned
Website

It sounds like Wialowa is claiming that NASA is doctoring pics to hide something.  Wialowa is not saying what exactly NASA is hiding, though.  I am doubtful to the extent that FLMASK can work on bitmaps unless there is a definate pattern on the bitmap, but I do believe doctoring could be found on a jpeg pic. . . .I am interested to hear if josh thinks Ian is right.  I would like to hear what it is that they are hiding most of all if it is right.

Visited by Moderator 2022/01/28

"I am the spritual son of Abraham, I fear no man and no man controls my destiny"

#4 2003-07-19 08:40:13

dicktice

Re. wialowa: My first reaction, is to ask--why in the world would anyone go to all that trouble, to present falsified pix of Mars and the Moon...?

Board footer