New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2003-06-12 00:13:35

Echus_Chasma
Website

Re: Non-technical things durning space flight/on Mars - Entertainment and Miscellaneous stuff

I was doing a bit of thinking about mass and whatever for space-flights and like what to do on the trip over to Mars and I'm wondering, what the hell is there do to on a space trip which takes months?

Would I be able to take a guitar or something along, and what about the normal everyday stuff like shaving/hair cuts and things like that?

There seems to only be talk about the technical side, but what about the non-technical stuff like mundane life.

[url]http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?Echus[/url]

#2 2003-06-12 04:25:58

Algol

Re: Non-technical things durning space flight/on Mars - Entertainment and Miscellaneous stuff

The everyday shaving/hair cuts will probably be dealt with the same way they are on the ISS, thats what its there for really -  to give us the necessary experience for us to iron out these small details. Admitedly keeping them busy on the flight will be an ineteresting task, NASA has traditionally been able to keep astronauts busy with either maintenace or scientific study, but i cant imagine the transfer vehicle will take more than 2 crew to run, day to day. Maybe we should look to the navy and how the submarine crews keep themselves entertained, it would probably be a god analogue.

nick

#3 2003-06-12 09:32:11

Palomar

I was doing a bit of thinking about mass and whatever for space-flights and like what to do on the trip over to Mars and I'm wondering, what the hell is there do to on a space trip which takes months?

Would I be able to take a guitar or something along, and what about the normal everyday stuff like shaving/hair cuts and things like that?

There seems to only be talk about the technical side, but what about the non-technical stuff like mundane life.

*Hi Echus.  Regarding shaving and haircuts, refer to the thread entitled "Toilet Paper" in the "Civilization & Culture" folder. 

There was some rather lively discussion regarding mundane things astronauts can do to fill up their time, months ago.  A little digging around in old folders from 7 to 12 months ago might provide some of what you are looking for.  smile

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#4 2003-06-12 20:07:14

Free Spirit
Banned

One way the Mars voyagers could while away the time would be to download a lot of media like movies, video games, books, etc, from Earth (although they couldn't watch these things in real time of course.)  Anyway, considering that astronauts have already spent six months and more in space, I imagine we should already have solutions to the basic hygiene problems.  I think ultimately though the astronauts will just have to accept that they'll be in jail for about two years and that it's going to be boring.  People who need constant entertainment and are easily bored need not apply.

My people don't call themselves Sioux or Dakota.  We call ourselves Ikce Wicasa, the natural humans, the free, wild, common people.  I am pleased to call myself that.  -Lame Deer

#5 2003-06-13 17:24:23

dicktice

Gardening would be a wonderful, time-consuming, interesting pastime ... as well as life-support activity. Assuming a non-spining space vehicle, a dedicated long-duration microgravity horticulture research program like that, could contribute loads of valuable data for future space travel. Take along a variety of seeds, for example, and experiment in collaboration with research establishments back on Earth. Bored? Nonsense--the time would just fly by!

#6 2003-06-13 22:28:41

RobS
Banned
Website

At one point I read that NASA planned to establish a mass allocation for personal items, such as 20 kilograms or 30 kilograms, for flights to a space station. I have no idea whether that was ever implemented. But I assume there would be a similar mass allocation for flights to Mars, allowing a guitar, family photos, etc. On the Apollo flights to the moon, Alan Shepherd brought a golf ball and a head he could attach to something to drive the ball!

-- RobS

#7 2003-06-25 10:21:19

Joss
Banned

Hi,

First post here.  I don't know how much computer storage they will have, but assuming that the answer is "an awful lot", there's plenty of things they could have then: books, movies, music, video games, educational material - they could learn new languages, learn about biology, physics, math, etc, and polish / maintain the skills they already have.

They would probably have to spend a couple hours a day or more exercising.

Finally, and I'm sure it's been addressed before, depending on the mix of crew, you could have some level of romantic life, especially if the crew is made of married couple.

#8 2003-06-26 21:15:39

Josh Cryer

This post reminds me of what the POVRay guys did with regards to the ISS.

http://www.povray.org/posters/

Some useful links while MER are active. [url=http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/home/index.html]Offical site[/url] [url=http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/MM_NTV_Web.html]NASA TV[/url] [url=http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/mer2004/]JPL MER2004[/url] [url=http://www.spaceflightnow.com/mars/mera/statustextonly.html]Text feed[/url]
--------
The amount of solar radiation reaching the surface of the earth totals some 3.9 million exajoules a year.

#9 2003-06-28 02:52:42

Gennaro

I demand artificial gravity so there would be no need for exercise (well, not excessive amounts of it anyway).

But a good strategic board game could keep me busy for months. The young generation would probably just bring a PC and a heap of computer games.
smile

#10 2003-06-28 13:47:23

Echus_Chasma
Website

But a good strategic board game could keep me busy for months. The young generation would probably just bring a PC and a heap of computer games.
smile

I'll challenge you to a game of Risk.  :laugh:

[url]http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?Echus[/url]

#11 2003-07-03 09:26:54

prometheusunbound
Banned
Website

If the ship could be spun to create artifical gravity (something like 2001) then the exersize problem is solved. . .they could do reasearch, hobbies or chat.  it could be possible they would do some quotum of maintiance to keep everything ship shape. . .  I do agree they will be playing a lot of board games but I worry what happens if they get too competive.  Well I for one hope they do a lot of writing in a journal (one personal, one public) so that I could find out what they think.  I hope they never, ever set up the ship like a reality show. . .that would be terrible and awful.  Besides, if they did, it would not sell because reality TV thrives on conflict, and everything is done to prevent conflict in the crew in space.

"I am the spritual son of Abraham, I fear no man and no man controls my destiny"

Board footer