New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: This forum is accepting new registrations by emailing newmarsmember * gmail.com become a registered member. Read the Recruiting expertise for NewMars Forum topic in Meta New Mars for other information for this process.

#1 2003-06-08 21:02:54

Grahaminusa
InActive

Re: Mars before 2010 - an idea. - The hard part is already done....

I don't come from a scientific background, but I do and always have had a fascination with the Rad Planet and Space exploration in general.  I have an idea which may be unrealistic, but, as I've never seen or heard it discussed, I'm frustrated at not knowing if its feasible.

What modifications would have to be made to the International Space Station in order for it to undertake a manned mission to Mars?  A propulsion unit and landing vehicle spring to mind immediately, perhaps more in the way of life support and supplies.  Maybe even stiffening of the superstructure so that it can survive the acceleration..

But surely, the hard work is already done?  In addition, the Space Station is a truly international effort already - so a Mission to Mars using it would truly be a global undertaking.

#2 2003-06-09 03:30:45

Algol

You would need to be able o stop once you got there. The ISS is not designed for aerobraking meaning youd have to use propellant, which youd have to take with you.

Youd essentially have another 'Battlestar Galactica' mission.

The amount of work necessary would probably ammount to more than the mars direst mission.

nick

#3 2003-06-09 04:31:35

Shaun Barrett

Welcome to New Mars, Graham!

Keep the grand ideas coming!    smile

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping Up and Down.   - Rita Rudner

#4 2003-06-09 08:38:32

dickbill

The ISS doesn't have to aerobrake nor to insert into Mars orbit, It could just just shuttle between earth and mars in a very elliptical orbit.
But the idea to transfer the ISS to Mars orbit is very good. It cannot sustain heavy G for accelerating or decelerating, probably that's true, but then, do the transfer in 5 years or more with a ionic engine which remove the high G constrain.
The ISS could serve as living quater, it has its solar panels installed, it could be a great communication relay with earth.

I beg Bill Gates to buy the ISS for 50 billions $ to NASA, buy a ionic engine and transfer the ISS to Mars. Come on Bill, don't be cheap ! All the MS members will buy Windoze Zp if you do that and throw away their Mac !

#5 2003-06-10 11:27:31

dicktice

I draw the line at throwing away my Mac...!

#6 2003-06-19 22:48:16

pootechie
Banned

[...]It could just just shuttle between earth and mars in a very elliptical orbit.  [....] The ISS could serve as living quater, it has its solar panels installed[...]

First off, kudos to Grahaminusa for this idea.

Critics of the space program often cite the apparent scientific uselessness of the ISS as proof that manned space flight is a waste of time and money.  This is not to say that it truly is useless in Earth's orbit, but blasting it off to Mars would be undeniably profitable.

Unfortunately, as dickbill and Algol were good enough to point out, the ISS superstructure is rather ill-suited to the stresses and strains of interplanetary flight.  Therefore, I agree with duckbill, and suggest that a lengthy but strategic orbit is the only inexpensive means to our desired end.

Certainly, a large part of the required infrastructure is already in place, but the ISS (besides lacking sufficient radiation shielding to be safe beyond the Earths magnetic field) depends upon (relatively) frequent replenishment from Earth.  In order to endure such long duration flight times, the ISS would have to be outfitted with a closed loop life support system capable of operating without refreshment for years on end.

And this is the real trouble for, to my knowledge, such a CELSS has yet to be developed.

Yet it should be!

"For an engineer, innovation is not an option, it is a necessity"

#7 2003-06-20 09:55:13

dickbill

This topic was also discussed in page 4 of this section, in "relocate the ISS to mars orbit".

People find the idea interesting, but the ISS is not ready for the trip now because of all what has been said. I don't think that the fragility of the structure or the radiations problems are really impossible to resolve. You get high G is you break hard, but if you do it very gently over a period of tenths of years, then the structure could resist.

And as I said earlyer, the option might be irrelevant now, but what about in 50 years ?, are we gonna throw away the station like MIR ? what a waste ! some modules should be recovered at least.

#8 2003-07-03 09:14:19

prometheusunbound
Banned
Website

I do not want to demean anyone but the iss is designed for purely LEO orbit and the biggest problem is that it would need extraorindary modifications to make it able to accelerate out of this LEO orbit.  some of the modifications would probably cost more than the station itself.  First of all, the structure would need to be reinforced to such a degree that it would probably make it much much heavier that it is now.  then, some sort of chemical rocket engine would be needed to (ionic rockets don't exsit yet-it could be a while until they are available) propel the station into the proper trajectory.  with the reinforcement and the necessary additions (you gotta land on mars, I'm assuming) the requirement for rocket fuel would be prohibative because the space on the station is already used up by LEO experiments and without jettisoining these experiments (a major waste in itself) there is no possiblity of escaping earth orbit.   sad
   Only a purpose built ship will accoplish what it was designed to do.  The ISS is most surely not going to do that. . .
   Right now I believe the cheapest, safest mission with the highest chance of success is what Dr. Zubrin has come up with in "The Case for Mars".  It is the most definative and most comprehensive plan to my knowledge.

"I am the spritual son of Abraham, I fear no man and no man controls my destiny"

Board footer