New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#51 2019-10-31 10:17:52

Calliban

Re: An Economic Model for Mars

I concur with Louis in this instance.  If real nuclear reactions are taking place, one would expect the emission of gamma rays as excited nuclei relax.  It is also difficult to initiate nuclear reactions in a metal without some amount of induced radioactivity, which implies both gamma and beta activity.

If these things are not being observed, it suggests that either nuclear reactions are not the source of any observed energy, or that something unexpected is taking place that challenges our understanding of nuclear physics.  I would be more than happy for this to be the case; but it is far fetched at this point.

"Plan and prepare for every possibility, and you will never act. It is nobler to have courage as we stumble into half the things we fear than to analyse every possible obstacle and begin nothing. Great things are achieved by embracing great dangers."

#52 2019-10-31 16:49:43

SpaceNut
Administrator

The materials start as nuclear but the form of transmutation is one that ends with a base that becomes more nuetral in the end due to particle exchange which is the heat that it puts out. powered metals are not like a rod as its mixed to a give ratio and then packed into the chamber form of a rod. The initial heat starts the reaction and then its sustains the low level reactions until it can not do so anymore.
Its particles are more like cast offs that seek to become nuetral in the form of a stable element.

#53 2019-11-02 11:13:17

knightdepaix

RickSmith wrote:

My intention is to have this thread answer common questions about Mars and Terraforming with indexes to appropriate topics.

Q--- WHAT ARE THE MAIN PROBLEMS FOR LIFE ON MARS?

A--- There are several problems:
--1) The first problem is the air pressure.  It varies from 6 to 14 mBars. (milliBars = 1/1000 of a Bar.  1 Bar is about 99% of an atmosphere.) Earth by contrast has 1.101325 Bars at sea level.  Mars is therefore at a near vacuum and multicellular life will soon die.

Info on Breathable Atmospheres.

--2) The second problem is the cold.  Tho occasionally the temperature gets above freezing on the equator, most of the time Mars is far below freezing.  A typical night temperature is -90C and the temperature at the south pole in southern winter is -127C.  This low temperature is enough to freeze out carbon dioxide ( CO2 ).  So much CO2 freezes out that the planetary air pressure drops significantly each Martian winter.

--3) A third problem is radiation.  Earth's magnetic field directs much of the ionizing radiation from the sun to the polar regions.  Mars has no strong magnetic field so these are spread over the whole planet.  Second the atmosphere is too thin to stop cosmic rays.  Third there is no ozone layer ( O3) so dangerous ultraviolet light sterilizes the surface.

Another idea of note is high-temperature superconductivity. If the critical temperature for new superconductor continues to rise, at remote locations of Mars superconducting electric wires and electricity can be employed in workshops, mining sites and else. Also, barium the chemical element is used in some superconductors and is possibly a stable daughter isotope from radioactive caesium and rare earth elements. There using radioisotope thermoelectric generator factors in.

Last edited by knightdepaix (2019-11-02 11:14:59)

#54 2019-11-02 23:10:48

tahanson43206

This is for Louis, who initiated this topic a respectable 53 posts ago.

The theme is "An Economic Model for Mars"

In a moment I'll post a link to an article about manufacturers of super yachts.

There are several UK names in the list.

The article may be of general interest, but I think you may be interested because you have published suggestions for products that might be manufactured on Mars and marketed to a wealthy clientele.

Beyond the ocean on Earth, it seems inevitable to me that space yachts will become a part of the scene within 100 years, and the first ventures along that line will be the Musk and Bezos private space liners.

A category of space yachts will be those which never land on a planet, but instead move at a leisurely pace from one exotic Solar System locale to another, using local transportation to see the local sights at each destination, just as cruise ship travelers do today.

So here is the link:

https://robbreport.com/motors/marine/20 … s-2835363/

(th)

#55 2019-11-03 05:50:15

Terraformer
Website

I've mentioned before the prospect of Luna playing the role of Space Monaco, and I think it will initially, but now that you mention space yachts I think an orbital would be better for it. As in Monaco, the trillionaires aren't going to want to abandon their yachts and go stay in a hotel, and they'll be able to dock at an orbital station.

"I'm gonna die surrounded by the biggest idiots in the galaxy." - If this forum was a Mars Colony

#56 2019-11-06 17:17:16

knightdepaix

The fantasy follows:
There are radioisotope thermoelectric generators (RTG)... Each generator consumes one readioisotope and uses the Ecat technology to generate electricity. Stable daughter isotopes are recovered for the following uses.

Tc99 + 1H1 = Ru 100 stable in catalyst and alloy
Sn126 + 1H1 + 1H1 + 1H1 + 1H1 = Xe 130 stable or sn126 + 4n = with 3 radioisotopes of t1/2 in hours and days to I-127 stable in iodine supplement and medical use.

Se79 + 2He4 = Kr83 stable or Se79 + n = Se80 stable + n = Se81 (t1/2=18.45 minutes) = Br81 stable
Instead of polyvinyl chloride, there will be polyvinyl bromide plastics on the human settlements, such as PVBr water pipes, couples, fittings et cetera in factories and greenhouses.
Cs135 + 1H1 = Ba136 stable in superconductors.
Pd107 + n = Pd108 stable + n = Pd109(t1/2=13.7012hours) = Ag109 metastate(t1/2=39.6seconds) = Ag109 in catalyst, electronics and electric wires.
I129 + 1H1 = Xe130 stable to be released on the Moon....

Superconductors and superconducting electric wires in remote area on Mars, such as mines.

Can incoming cosmic rays onto Mars be concentrated before reaching Mars? Pressurizing those protons increases their temperature that is stripped and coverted to microwave in a processing facility geosynchronously on Mars' orbit. Microwave from the orbit onto ground receiver on the plant. The heat warms carbon dioxide in Martian atmosphere or dry ice, and water or ice on the Mars surface. These preheated substances are converted in chemical engineering plants in endergonic reactions to carbon monoxide, hydrogen and oxygen. Then hydrocarbons are made. With the stable Br-81, there is PVBr plastics. With the stable Ru100, there is a variety of hydrocarbons that supports petrochemical-like business on Mars. Nearby native methane joins the process at this step.

Last edited by knightdepaix (2019-11-06 17:26:56)

#57 2019-11-06 18:57:44

tahanson43206

For Louis ...

This post could (probably) fit in a number of topics, but I'm hoping you will approve it's appearance here ...

The report is about a new design for a 3D printer, able to make industrial strength carbon composite parts.

The printer is pricey (on my scale) but for someone working on Mars, I think it might be close to perfect. 

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/desktop … 01687.html

(th)

#58 2019-11-22 11:47:12

knightdepaix

Does chromatography using regolith (mainly iron and silicon oxides) as stationary phase make sense on Mars with less atmospheric pressure?

#59 2021-12-07 14:36:15

Mars_B4_Moon

Elon Musk says "The government is simply the biggest corporation, with the monopoly on violence."

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video … lence.html

vid/audio
https://rumble.com/vqdpai-elon-musk-sla … nopol.html

'It does not make sense to take the job of capital allocation away from people who have demonstrated great skill ... and give it to, you know, an entity that has demonstrated very poor skill in capital allocation, which is the government,' he said.

Last edited by Mars_B4_Moon (2021-12-07 14:47:40)

Board footer