New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2019-10-17 06:17:33

tahanson43206

Representing NewMars forum on other Advocacy Organization Sites

This is primarily for SpaceNut as forum Administrator ...

However, feedback from all contributors to this forum is invited and welcome, even if it is corrective in nature.

I've been invited to serve as a "correspondent" from this forum to LUF.ORG, which is currently the site of a Wordpress blog generally organized around the goals of the Living Universe Foundation, as inspired by Marshall T. Savage, late in the last century (on Earth).

I had the experience of rejection of a proposed article.  In the free wheeling atmosphere of the NewMars forum, it takes a LOT to have a post rejected, but (I'm guessing) the current editor of the Luf.Org site is trying to establish and maintain a reasonably high editorial standard.  My most recent effort was created while trying to meet an artificial deadline, and I'll admit it deserved to be axed.

My invitation and request is that you (SpaceNut and others) take a look at my opening article, and provide feedback if you are inspired to do so.

Beyond that, I am looking for ideas on how the Forum would like to be represented to other space advocacy organizations or to the public in general.

Are there suggestions for what another article might look like?

There is a LOT or (to my mind) very high quality discussion that takes place in this arena.  I'll admit that Louis seems to inspire most of it in recent days, but there were plenty of other instigators in past years.

If someone would care to compose an article that I could then copy and paste into the LUF blog, I would be delighted to post it there with the appropriate credits.  The theme would be to represent the Mars Society and its activities, and the NewMars forum in particular.

(th)

#2 2019-10-17 17:01:44

SpaceNut
Administrator

Re: Representing NewMars forum on other Advocacy Organization Sites

I particularly liked the https://luf.org/8-steps-to-colonize-the-galaxy/ which seems to be interesting in that some of our topics would relate in a way.

Aquarius; Establish floating cities to stabilize the world and prepare for space colonization.

This sound like living in the venus clouds until the planet cooled to allow for life on its surface living and mining life from the clouds at 50k altitude where its very earth like of atmospheric pressures.

So its a good question as to why have we not explored the altitudes above earth to the point that we have colonized them. I ask a simular question of the earths oceans as great as they are.

Bifrost; Construct a bridge to space.

Space elevators are quite the rage as they save the launch from earths gravity well to a platform where it gets much easier to send anything to just about any place in the solar system. Having the end of the line at an orbiting space station shipyard would be the ultimite goal for the far off reaching elevator.

#3 2019-10-17 18:49:44

SpaceNut
Administrator

Trying to get the word out for those that have ever been on the yahoo groups as the content which are in the groups which you may have participated in will be shortly removed.
Yahoo is deleting all content ever posted to Yahoo Groups

You have until December 14 to download files before they're permanently removed.

Although the Yahoo Groups site will continue to exist after December 14, "all public groups will be made private or restricted," Yahoo said. Users will continue to "be able to communicate with your groups via email and search for private groups on the site," and admins will retain "limited access to group settings and administration tools," but that's it.

#4 2019-11-12 10:13:27

tahanson43206

This is primarily for SpaceNut, but (as you will see) I am hoping for support by other active forum contributors.

Luf.org has initiated a blog as an alternative to the now discontinued Yahoo Group forum.

I like the difference, because the contributions are curated so that they meet a minimal level of readability and tone.

I'm not interested in posting about my interests, so much, as I am interested in trying to capture the "best of" posts by forum members, in order to (hopefully) entice readers at luf.org to stop by to explore further.

SpaceNut, your (to me amazing) skill at collecting material from the forum archive (as well as from the Internet of course) provides an opportunity if you would be interested.  What I have in mind is putting together a "best of" set of links for a theme you might want to show, or perhaps an author.

However, if a member (other than SpaceNut) would like to highlight a particular post (or perhaps a topic), I would be willing to consider it for a blog entry.

GW Johnson, you are in a category by yourself because you have your own well developed blog, in addition to all your contributions to this forum over the years.

kbd512, you are in another category by yourself, due to the sheer volume of useful guidance you have posted in a variety of topics.

As a (relative) newcomer, I apologize to those I have missed, but (on the other hand) I welcome a chance to read your postings, or the postings of someone whose work you admire.

To see what I have put together so far you can visit luf.org.

Feedback would be welcome as well.  The site is already curated, so more criticism (or encouragement) would be welcome.

(th)

Board footer