New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: This forum is accepting new registrations by emailing newmarsmember * gmail.com become a registered member. Read the Recruiting expertise for NewMars Forum topic in Meta New Mars for other information for this process.

#26 2018-10-25 11:35:05

RGClark
Website

Re: Towards highly reusable rocket engines.

elderflower wrote:

If you use an excess of carbon containing propellants, you will likely make a highly luminous, smoky flame. You may also coke up your combustion chamber. I would look at excess oxidiser to avoid these issues.

True. It's called "coking" with kerosene. I believe it's not as big a problem with methane though.

Bob Clark

Old Space rule of acquisition (with a nod to Star Trek - the Next Generation):

“Anything worth doing is worth doing for a billion dollars.”

#27 2018-10-27 07:19:00

RGClark
Website

Re: Towards highly reusable rocket engines.

XCOR’S physical assets and intellectual property were purchased by a non-profit devoted to instructing students in aerospace topics:

http://www.parabolicarc.com/2018/04/23/ … assets-ip/

Perhaps they could do the experiments with the XCOR engines.

By the way,  perhaps this non-profit could team with universities to apply for the Base11 Challenge for a university team to launch a liquid-fueled single stage rocket to the 100 km line for suborbital space:

https://www.herox.com/spacechallenge/le … ement-view

I was thinking they could supply the XCOR engines. However, the rules say the rocket must be “designed, built, and tested” by the university teams. So it’s a question if it would be allowed to use the XCOR engines.

Bob Clark

Last edited by RGClark (2018-10-27 07:40:24)

Old Space rule of acquisition (with a nod to Star Trek - the Next Generation):

“Anything worth doing is worth doing for a billion dollars.”

Board footer