New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: This forum is accepting new registrations by emailing newmarsmember * gmail.com become a registered member. Read the Recruiting expertise for NewMars Forum topic in Meta New Mars for other information for this process.

#51 2003-04-10 17:34:28

Shaun Barrett

Re: Metric Conversion - Pros and Cons

Cindy writes:-

I love talk of pecks, bushels, ounces, gallons, quarts, pints, yards, furlongs, etc. It seems more varied, more human-oriented; like a lovely word salad.  smile

I know just what you mean! And what a perfectly poetic way you have of expressing it, too ... "word salad".
                                   smile

Bill writes:-

And "A pints a pound the world around"

Actually, Bill, that's not strictly true.
    In the American system of units, a pint is certainly 16 fl. ozs and, therefore, weighs a pound. And a U.S. gallon, being 8 pints, weighs 8 lbs.
    However, in the British imperial system, a pint is 20 fl.ozs - one and a quarter pounds! (A British gallon weighing in at 10 lbs.)

Please forgive this outburst ... I tend to suffer with occasional bouts of pedantry and couldn't resist the urge to be pernickety about this!!   big_smile

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping Up and Down.   - Rita Rudner

#52 2003-04-11 08:33:02

dicktice

And, Shaun, wouldn't you know?--the word is "persnickety" here in Canada. Sorry, mate.

#53 2003-04-11 09:40:10

Bill White

In the American system of units, a pint is certainly 16 fl. ozs and, therefore, weighs a pound. And a U.S. gallon, being 8 pints, weighs 8 lbs.
   However, in the British imperial system, a pint is 20 fl.ozs - one and a quarter pounds! (A British gallon weighing in at 10 lbs.)

Heh!

Next time I ask for a pint of lager, better make sure I do so within the Commonwealth, no?

#54 2003-04-11 09:41:30

clark

i thought the Pound was refrencing currency.  big_smile

Board footer