New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2003-04-09 11:19:21

Adrian
Website

Re: Interview Questions for inventor of Mini-Mag Orion

In this thread, Clark mentioned a new propulsion system based partially on the old Orion system. At Clark's suggestion, I contacted the inventor, Dr. Dana Andrews, to see if he'd be willing to answer a few questions about it and his other research.

Dr. Andrews has said that he'd be happy to take part in an interview but he'll be travelling for the next eight weeks so we need to get our questions to him asap, i.e. this week.

So, if you've read up on the Mini-Mag system and Dr. Andrew's other work, post your questions here. Please make sure that they are informed and relevant, as well. Since Clark is the person who suggested the idea, I'll be looking to him to suggest some of the questions and help pick out the best.

Ideally, all questions should be in by late Thursday/early Friday, so we can send them off to Dr. Andrews before the weekend.

Editor of [url=http://www.newmars.com]New Mars[/url]

#2 2003-04-09 11:34:06

clark

Excellent!

I think we would all be better served if some of the more science literate took a part in this.

However, some questions:

If funded, how long would it take to develop an actual system for use in space exploration?

What are the benefits of the Mini-Mag Orion system for human exploration of space?

Can you offer any advice to those interested in working in space related fields?

In your opinion, what is the biggest hurdle or show-stopper for the development of the Mini-Mag Orion system, if any?

I will add more questions as they occur. Please, everyone, help take part in this.

Thank you Adrian.

#3 2003-04-09 11:53:45

clark

What are the main benefits of the Mini-Mag Orion system versus other types of nuclear propulsion?

Given your previous experience within Boeing, and your current experience with AS&T, what changes could be made to NASA to facilitate more development in space exploration and space infrastructure?

Given the sensitivity with nuclear power and our environment, what safe-guards are you considering for the Mini-Mag Orion system to prevent or mitigate harm in the event of a catastrophe?

#4 2003-04-09 11:58:33

clark

How scalable is the Mini-Mag Orion system?

Are there other uses for this system other than propulsion? Such as power generation for operations in space?

When did the idea, and/or what casued you to come up with the concept of the Mini-Mag Orion system?

#5 2003-04-09 12:11:59

clark

How far can the Mini-Mag Orion system take human exploration of space?

What additional abilities, or flexibility, does the Mini-mag Orion system offer for exploration of space not offered by other conventional methods?

Could you explain how the Mini-Mag Orion system is ideal for sending humans to Mars?

#6 2003-04-09 13:46:58

clark

How does the Mini-Mag Orion system fit in with Sean O'Keefe's proposal for Project Prometheus, a 3 billion dollar investment over the next five years to develop ways to convert nuclear fission into electrical power for space craft?

#7 2003-04-09 14:41:22

clark

What are the prospects of Phase III SBIR for the Mini-Mag Orion system?

Given the size of AS&T, and the direction of research and devlopment within the company, are you trying to revolutionize space exploration and expansion?

#8 2003-04-09 15:11:50

Bill White

Can you "bench test" this system safely on Earth? How large of an explosion will result? How much radiation is emitted?

(NERVAs were run on the ground, I believe)

How much nuclear waste will be produced?

How "scale-able" is the mini-mag Orion?
(maybe clark hit that already - he has bets riding on this)

Cost estimates to deploy an initial working version.
Cost estimates to deploy additional units thereafter.
This may be premature - but can he speculate? :-)

Address whether the quantity of fuel needed poses a proliferation risk. How much fissionable material is needed to operate the system? Is it weapons grade material?

#9 2003-04-09 20:36:02

Phobos

I'd be interested to know if they're working on any other nuclear propulsion technology.  I'm also curious if he's gotten any nasty emails from the anti-nuclear establishment berating him for the work.  I love this interview idea, my mental gears are already cranking as to who should be up next.   big_smile

To achieve the impossible you must attempt the absurd

#10 2003-04-10 01:39:58

Shaun Barrett

From one of the links Clark provided, I understand that Curium-245 (half-life 8500 years) is the fissile material favoured because it requires a lesser compression ratio.
    How readily available is Curium-245?

Are the fission products of this material long-lived and unpleasant enough to preclude a ground launch?

Are any other fissile materials suitable?

I have seen conflicting flight times to get 100 tonnes to Mars - 45 days and 65 days. Which is it?

The 'ignition mass' is put at 500 tonnes, presumably in LEO. Do we have to use 20 shuttle launches to assemble Mini-Mag Orion in orbit before we go?

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping Up and Down.   - Rita Rudner

#11 2003-04-10 06:52:33

TJohn
Banned

I mistakenly posted my question on another thread.  But here's what I have:

1.  With NASA pushing for Project Prometheus, will the Mini-Mag Orion (MMO) take a back seat? 

2.  Which would be faster to build and test Prometheus or MMO?

3.  Can MMO be launched directly from Earth? 

The suspense to waiting on this interview is going to drive me crazy!!   tongue   I can't wait to read it!

One day...we will get to Mars and the rest of the galaxy!!  Hopefully it will be by Nuclear power!!!

#12 2003-04-10 07:56:42

Bill White

Describe the acceleration that will be experienced by the astronauts.

How frequent are the detonations? Will the accleration be experienced as continuous or will there be discreet pulses, and if the latter, what is the interval between pulses? WHat gee force will be experienced during a pulse?

How much jarring and shaking will the astronauts experience if they frequently alternate between acceleration and coasting between pulses.

On a Mars mission, what percentage of time would be spent accelerating and what percentage spent coasting?

#13 2003-04-11 05:10:21

Adrian
Website

Here is the list of questions compiled by Clark that I sent on to Dr. Andrews. I thought they represented a good balance of introductory and technical questions, and also addressed a wide range of issues. Hopefully we should be hearing back soon.

1. Could you briefly explain what the Mini-Mag Orion system would do, and where it is currently in development?

2. It was recently announced (http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewpr.html?pid=11185) that your company Andrews Space & Technology had successfully completed a NASA Phase II Small Business Innovative Research (SBIR) contract. Could you please explain what it was like to bring the MMO system through Phase I, and Phase II of the SBIR contract? What are the prospects for a Phase III SBIR for the MMO?

3. When did the idea, and/or what caused you to come up with the concept of the Mini-Mag Orion system?

4. The Mini-Mag Orion system seems to be a blend of several concepts for space propulsion, could you explain how the MMO differs from other nuclear and non-nuclear space propulsion systems?

5. How does the MMO differ from the MagOrion system?

6. The MMO is a nuclear rocket to the stars, how fast could it get humans to the Moon, or Mars? How far could it really go, could it reach Pluto, or Alpha Centauri? What would a ride be like on a ship powered by a Mini-Mag Orion system from Earth to Mars?

7. If given the funds, how long would it take to build a Mini-Mag Orion system capable of taking people to Mars? Could you scale this system down, perhaps using them for space probes?

8. Sean OKeefe, the Director for NASA, has recently requested funding for Project Prometheus, a 3 billion dollar investment over the next five years to develop ways to convert nuclear fission into electrical power for space craft; could the Mini-Mag Orion system play a role in this project? Are you developing any other revolutionary systems for space?

9. Why was Curium-245 chosen as the fuel source? Would the MMO system pose a threat to Earths environment? How much fuel does it need for a trip to Mars? Would it be launched from Earth, or assembled in orbit?  How safe would this be for humans?

10. Given your extensive experience within Boeing, and your current experience with AS&T, can you offer any advice to those interested in working in space related fields?

Editor of [url=http://www.newmars.com]New Mars[/url]

#14 2003-04-11 06:15:47

Shaun Barrett

Many thanks Clark and Adrian for your efforts on our behalf!

The list of questions should elicit some very interesting responses from Dr. Andrews and I'm impatient to see the results.
    This is a great way for New Mars members to gain access to the minds of some of the more cutting-edge scientists whose talent may make Mars colonisation viable.

Marvellous team-work from both of you .. thanks again!!
                                         cool

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping Up and Down.   - Rita Rudner

Board footer