New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2005-03-19 07:59:37

srmeaney

Re: Should we fund projects using Lotteries?

If it is any help, The winner gets the Research Station named after them.

#2 2015-11-29 22:06:14

SpaceNut
Administrator

Fixed artifacts

Was suprised that there was no discusion in this topic as we have had many simular items spoken of from TV rights to bake sales to find a way to raise funds for special projects.

#3 2017-05-09 13:25:47

SpaceNut
Administrator

Bump I am surprised that Lious has not seen this old topic as these topic is inline with several other posts.....Crowd funding, go me funds......

#4 2017-05-09 15:55:33

louis

I'm past all that, SpaceNut...it is now clear Space X are far ahead of any other potential player and have a far sighted game plan. It's simply down to Musk (and perhaps the US Government) whether to accept sponsorship. There will be no shortage of potential sponsors trying to get on board.  I'd be surprised if Space X hasn't already been approached.

SpaceNut wrote:

Bump I am surprised that Lious has not seen this old topic as these topic is inline with several other posts.....Crowd funding, go me funds......

Let's Go to Mars...Google on: Fast Track to Mars blogspot.com

#5 2017-05-09 16:20:39

SpaceNut
Administrator

But the funding would still help organizations like Mars Society and others to be able to afford to take such trips onboard the Space x rides....

#6 2017-05-09 16:31:42

louis

Oh well, all good then. smile

SpaceNut wrote:

But the funding would still help organizations like Mars Society and others to be able to afford to take such trips onboard the Space x rides....

#7 2020-01-13 19:46:32

SpaceNut
Administrator

The thoughts of how to get to mars means we need funds...
Pushing things that we need out of the proto stage need funds as we want near commercial to fit the bill for mars use
We need funds to grow and shout as to advertise

#8 2020-01-13 20:11:43

louis

I reiterate, what's the point if Space X are going to get there big time in 2024/2026/2028?

Doing some small design work becomes irrelevant.

We should just get behind Space X and Americans should lobby for NASA funds to be directed Space X's way.

SpaceNut wrote:

The thoughts of how to get to mars means we need funds...
Pushing things that we need out of the proto stage need funds as we want near commercial to fit the bill for mars use
We need funds to grow and shout as to advertise

#9 2020-01-13 20:46:17

SpaceNut
Administrator

Many more failures and the funds will sink space x and this was not directed at that company at all....

This is in the analog for mars research station so that is where its being directed....

#10 2020-01-13 21:27:07

louis

Actually I don't think that's true...I think Musk and Sapce X can tolerate continued failures. They have a war chest of at least a coule of billion I reckon.

Most of the development cost of the Starship hs probably already been built.

The block to further development occurs more when you have to build a fleet of 20 Starships to deliver humans on Mars.

#11 2020-01-14 18:18:24

SpaceNut
Administrator

Lotteries are the great bait and switch concept that will have you thinking about how you are helping a cause while getting the chances for millions for a dollar.
Sure the odds are against the gambler always and its the dazzling of the big prise that hooks you.
States use the gambling revenue for all sorts of funding of projects ti education.
Here it would be to go to mars in the end run...

#12 2020-01-14 19:05:10

RobertDyck
Website

The Original Post suggested the lottery winner gets to name the analog research station. I remind everyone that the UK ran an online poll asking citizens of their country what to name their new navy ship. The winner was Boaty McBoatface.

Here in Canada when the Reform Party existed, they had a serious policy to allow citizens to propose any referendum they want. The proposal would have to receive a certain number of online signatures, then the country would hold a serious referendum where all registered voters get to vote on it. While this bill was debated in federal parliament, a comedian started a referendum to force Member of Parliament and leader of the Reform Party at the time who proposed the bill, Stockwell Day, to change his first name to Doris. The comedian's online resolution got the required number of signatures if the bill had passed through Parliament. That was year 2000.

The Mars Society did rename the Mars Arctic Research Station (MARS), the one in Canada's arctic. A company called Flashline donated US$100,000 so it was renamed the Flashline Mars Arctic Research Station (FMARS). But we need some sanity to overrule joke names.

However, a lottery to win a jackpot? The United States was funded that way the first years of its existence. After fighting a war of independence over a tax on tea, they didn't want to impose federal taxes. So yea, that's a valid fund raising technique.

Last edited by RobertDyck (2020-01-14 19:16:57)

#13 2020-01-14 19:22:59

SpaceNut
Administrator

Thanks for the context of the first post as to the topics formation.

There are so many companies out there which set up gift cards for goods to be purchase from places and so many credit cards I am wondering about why some of these things have not been tried for Mars Society as well.

#14 2020-01-15 12:37:47

RobertDyck
Website

The Mars Society used to have a deal with Amazon: buy certain books, and a portion of your purchase goes to the Mars Society. It only applied to certain books, and the Mars Society website promoted them. Now it's different. There is Amazon Smile which donates 0.5% of your purchase to your chosen charity. The amount that goes to the Mars Society is a lot smaller, but it applies to a lot more things.

USA: https://smile.amazon.com
UK: https://smile.amazon.co.uk

Tried to find an equivalent at amazon.ca (Canadian) but doesn't look like there is one.

Last edited by RobertDyck (2020-01-15 12:38:40)

#15 2020-01-15 18:08:46

SpaceNut
Administrator

Thanks it looks like its tied to the account log in for identifying the donation.

Was wondering why the UTAH site had not gone and built a semi summer camp amusement theme near by for going to mars for campers and others that might want to see the real deal...

Board footer