New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2012-02-23 22:14:25

sanman
Banned

Question - What's the Smallest Re-Entry Vehicle Possible?

Hi everyone,

I have a question - what's the smallest unmanned entry vehicle possible for descent from Martian orbit to the surface using an aeroshield and parachute?
What kind of mass and dimensions would be feasible for a minimal payload?
Do you think 10cm wide is too small? How about 5cm wide?
5 kg? 2 kg?

What's the smallest you can go, before weird problems of slipstream turbulence and cross-winds cause too much difficulty in targeting a landing zone?
The landing zone I was thinking of was a fairly large one - the Hellas Basin - and so I'd imagine it wouldn't be too hard to hit from a polar orbit.

The payload merely has to be able to measure ambient atmospheric pressure and water humidity on the surface in Hellas Basin.

Any useful feedback is appreciated.

#2 2012-02-24 19:54:14

SpaceNut
Administrator

Re: Question - What's the Smallest Re-Entry Vehicle Possible?

I was wondering the same thing over on the MarsDrive site with regards to launching a cube sat plus landing apperatus to make it land safely.

#3 2012-06-11 22:19:02

JonClarke

The Deep Space 2 probes massed 2.4 kg.  Although they failed they show that it is possible to have an interesting and useful minimal surface mission in the nanosat class http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_Space_2

#4 2012-06-12 02:21:50

louis

JonClarke wrote:

The Deep Space 2 probes massed 2.4 kg.  Although they failed they show that it is possible to have an interesting and useful minimal surface mission in the nanosat class http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_Space_2

But haven't we got Mars satellites in orbit? I imagine small devices would be able to speak to the satellites that then relay info back to Earth.

The smaller the load, the more impact it can sustain I would imagine e.g. if you have a 2 kg wrapped up in 3 kgs of sophisticated wadding. Or can you do a last minute mini launch before you hit the surface, so landing speed is really slow.

Let's Go to Mars...Google on: Fast Track to Mars blogspot.com

#5 2012-06-12 07:39:27

Rune
Banned

The smaller you go, the better your ballistic coefficient you get, so lower terminal velocity. Make it feather-like, and you need no parachute. A few grams of carbon fiber with a few tens of centimeters of diameter would land pretty softly on their own. So no lower boundary, a penny-sized piece of carbon-carbon would land much easier than MSL.

What could you do with that, now that's another question (my answer is very little, since a comm system capable of reaching orbit is too heavy to fit, never mind sensors). But a paper plane can theoretically survive earth reentry if the paper can survive the thermosphere.

Rune. They tried that from ISS, actually, though I heard no more about it.

In the beginning the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a "bad move"

#6 2012-06-12 23:30:22

JonClarke

louis wrote:

But haven't we got Mars satellites in orbit? I imagine small devices would be able to speak to the satellites that then relay info back to Earth.

The smaller the load, the more impact it can sustain I would imagine e.g. if you have a 2 kg wrapped up in 3 kgs of sophisticated wadding. Or can you do a last minute mini launch before you hit the surface, so landing speed is really slow.

You might not want it to be slow - the DS-2 probes were penetrators after all.

Not sure whether the were meant to communicate directly to Earth or via a relay.  Relay would be easier, I would have thought.  There was MGS already in orbit and of course MCO was supposed to be there as well.

#7 2013-12-07 17:49:39

SpaceNut
Administrator

There has been quite a few cubesats launched and here is another that is quite interesting.

NASA's smartphone cubesat launched from MARS last month phones home

The mini satellite literally uses a smartphone as a brain, encased in a cube 4 inches square weighing a mere 2 pounds. It’s part of NASA’s long-range mission to see how well off-the-shelf commercial components perform in space, allowing the space agency to launch satellites at a fraction of the previous cost.

PhoneSat 2.4 is the first of its kind to use a two-way S-band radio, NASA says, allowing engineers to command the satellite from Earth.

http://spaceref.com/nasa-hack-space/sma … -home.html

oophonesat202_1.jpg

Last edited by SpaceNut (2013-12-07 18:19:56)

Board footer