New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2013-07-02 20:30:38

JoshNH4H
Website

Martian Moments

Every once in a while, in the course of my daily life I'm struck with a vista or a view that seems to me to be particularly Martian.  I'm going to try to take pictures of them from now on to post.

25t9943.jpg

This first one is the basement of the building where I work.  It's an academic building at the university called Latrobe Hall.  It seems to me to be relatively similar to how the interior of a Martian Building might look.  Note the stone construction and arched ceiling.  Marble floors seem unlikely, but a facsimile made of local stones is not out of the question. 

Please note the limited length of the hallway (On Mars this would be in case of blowout).  Also note that this is a well lit space.

As a bit of trivia, this is the building that was used as the outside of Mark Zuckerburg's dorm in The Social Network.

-Josh

#2 2013-07-02 20:40:42

JoshNH4H
Website

Re: Martian Moments

Somewhat more traditionally (Though I don't have a picture of it) I had a martian moment a few years ago.  It was right around this time of year and the sky was mostly cloudy; However the clouds did not extend to the horizon and you could see the setting sun through them.  The orange light reflected across the cloud bottoms and turned everything pink

-Josh

#3 2013-09-04 23:57:51

JoshNH4H
Website

I was at the beach recently.  While I was there, it rained rather heavily one night.  The following day it was quite windy, and the smaller sand grains were blown around.   This is practically identical to the processes which have shaped Mars, on shorter time and length scales.  Pictures I took are reposed here, filtered red to look more "Martian"

The following is a picture of loose sand being blown over a relatively solid foundation of once-wet sand.  Does it not look like a picture taken of the Northern Highlands?  I can barely convince myself that it hasn't come to us straight from MRO:

10rtto0.jpg

This is layered sand, but doesn't it look like all the world like a dropoff somewhere on the Red planet?  Perhaps at the great escarpment?  It is astounding just how similar the images look.  Surely I have seen this before?

1zfkbvb.jpg

My final one for tonight: Seaweed washed up and dried out, outlining the edge of a basin into which ocean water flowed at high tide, but then later was isolated and so evaporated.

i6ecza.jpg

I leave you with an image actually from Mars, for comparison.  This picture of Eagle crater was taken soon after Opportunity landed in early 2004:

bdba80ddf2a2.png

I can't help but ask myself: Of these two, which looks like the inhabited world to you?

-Josh

#4 2018-11-04 13:00:59

JoshNH4H
Website

Okay, I've got a couple more for you.  This is a building owned by Spokane County in the city of Spokane, WA just north of the river.  It really looked to me like the kind of structure you might see on early Mars:

7FyuBe2.jpg

Here's what I like about this building as something you could see on Mars:

For reference, I described how I think buildings should be built in this post.

• Brick outer layer: Would provide some radiation protection and thermal insulation, plus bricks are modular and relatively simple to manufacture (Sidenote, probably will be strengthened with basalt fibers)

• The four corners are capped cylinders with narrow windows: This is a great shape for pressure retention and thermal insulation

• Roof is well-shaped for 5-10 m of sandbags/regolith to contain pressure and protect from radiation, perhaps with a greenhouse on top (I would say every building should have a greenhouse on top with a lower level people can walk around in, it's important for people to have ready access to outdoor-feeling space)

• Strongly fortified side-walls are well-designed for the potential to contain pressure in the lateral direction (If you look at the post I referenced above, most of the lateral pressure retention should be done with steel cables which lightens the shear/bending loads on rectangular walls)

• Building is square in cross-section, which is good for pressure retention as described, for efficient use of a structure, and for thermal/radiation protection

• Windows are tinted, which can provide a good view while still offering some protection

Given all the windows this building might find use as some kind of arcade or public space, or could just be a regular workspace/living space.  I would love if they followed Arkady's suggestion and used the brick faces of the buildings for murals.

-Josh

#5 2018-11-04 13:24:26

SpaceNut
Administrator

It also looks like it could be built with the 3D concrete unit as well

The round corner sections would make good for a spiral staircase in each corner for man to gain access to each floor.

Southern facing windows could house a vertical greenhouse concept for natural lighting.

Board footer