New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2012-08-14 04:51:03

hornig
Banned
Website

Does anyone play "Mars Simulation Project"?

Hi everyone,

does anyone of you play the "Mars Simulation Project" ( http://mars-sim.sourceforge.net )?
It's an open source software and you can simulate your own mars settlement.

I haven't played it yet, but I like their concept.

Best regards,

Andreas

Last edited by hornig (2012-08-14 04:51:55)

#2 2012-08-14 07:25:11

Glandu

Re: Does anyone play "Mars Simulation Project"?

I did play long ago, but the feedback was rather poor, making the game tedious & obscure to play. Maybe new versions are better?

[i]"I promise not to exclude from consideration any idea based on its source, but to consider ideas across schools and heritages in order to find the ones that best suit the current situation."[/i] (Alistair Cockburn, Oath of Non-Allegiance)

#3 2012-08-16 04:07:45

hornig
Banned
Website

Hi,

I can't tell, because I haven't played it yet. I just found it and wanted to know who plays it and how it is.
And I'm more interested in the simulation concept, if it's more a game or a simulation. If it's a simulation it woul dbe great to build different sets of outposts and have a look how long the inhabitants can survive. Because in a limited habitat without a perfect regenerative life support sometime the enviroenment will change and be harmfull.
I would like to know when this will happen and what's the perfect crew number for a certain outpus setting.

best regards, Andreas

#4 2012-10-28 16:37:25

falkor

hornig wrote:

Hi everyone,

does anyone of you play the "Mars Simulation Project" ( http://mars-sim.sourceforge.net )?

hey they have a FB group!! big_smile  http://www.facebook.com/groups/125541663548/

#5 2012-10-30 02:11:31

Rxke

It is foremost a simulation.

Loooooong ago I used to play, but had an old PPC mac with lacking Java support (Apple being sloooow to update their Java stuff, it was a pain. It felt like they were willingly sabotaging Java uptake or something :s )
... so it ran slow. sloooow slooooow

offtopic: this simulation was  actually one of the reasons I started having second thoughts about the whole mac thing, despite having been using it for ages (have since completely switched to linux, never regretted it AT ALL, heh. xfce rulez)

BUT!

The guy writing it is a sterling chap, I even got some of my input almost instantly applied to one of his updates, complete with correct citing of whose idea it was in the first place smile

the starting point was based on a Zubrin-style-mission, with follow-up missions building things up.

#6 2012-10-30 02:14:18

Rxke

BTW I thought it was pretty clever stuff....

like when sh*t hitting the fan (say a rover breaking down in a remote place and people getting in *real* problems because no air, fro instance) you could see other crew adapting, changing tasks, all automatically, you'd see the lab being run with minimal staff, the others suiting up, going out, trying to rescue, wow, that was impressive.

Board footer