New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2007-10-09 07:07:42

cIclops

Re: Movies about Mars

With the release of Race to Mars last week this seems a good time to put together some kind of list of movies about Mars. The Mars society has a list already and no doubt there are others around too, so having one more won't hurt.

Here are some recent movies that people may find worth watching, in date order: (F=Fiction, N= Non fiction)

2007 F Race to Mars

2007 N The Mars Underground

2006 N Roving Mars

2006 N Revealing Mars

2005 N Welcome to Mars

2004 N Eyes on Mars

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Older movies that may be worth watching:

2000 F Red Planet

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And now for a list of movies not worth watching:

2001 F Ghosts of Mars

and lots and lots more!

[color=darkred]Let's go to Mars and far beyond -  triple NASA's budget ![/color] [url=irc://freenode#space]  #space channel !! [/url] [url=http://www.youtube.com/user/c1cl0ps]   - videos !!![/url]

#2 2011-12-20 10:13:30

Lobster
Banned

I recently watched indie move "Stranded" (2001) and it's not bad compared to "Mission to mars" and "Red Planet".
It's kind of about trip to Mars taken by that heavier NASA  plan spaceship which Zubrin called "The Death Star". A very robust spaceship of people comes into orbit of Mars and then a lander crash/ lands on Mars. Which makes it kind of hilarious considering that that "90 days report" spaceship was considered stupid solution so no wonder they mess it up.

The best movie about Mars for me is "Total Recall". Back in 90's James Cameron wanted to make TV show about colonization of Mars with main goal to boost interest in people and I remember seeing pictures of it in magazines but I wonder what happened to it? Was he not paid how much he wanted?

Here's another movie that I would like to see Mars (2010)

#3 2011-12-26 03:12:50

Lobster
Banned

Oh my, I watched yesterday few episodes of fatalistic and depressing Discovery's documentary series Mars Rising (2007). It's supposed to be about future manned missions to Mars that Bush jr. falsely gave boost in his "famous" speech years ago.

Show presents that complicated version of going to Mars with huge spaceshit, obligatory missions to the Moon, technology that does not exist and zillion launches. And on top of that narrator, William Shatner, is constantly repeating "people will die" or how everything is a "death sentence" and how crew will be stranded there with no hope and probably go insane if they aren't fried by space radiation or Martian atmosphere and once they get there they will find hellish environment with horrible winds and sharp rocks...
"But" continues Shatner after all that "human Mission to Mars has started developing and there's nothing to stop it." after which you think to yourself "Are you insane?!! Who wants this?!"

Really, this is a horror movie about human trip to Mars disguised as a documentary.

Last edited by Lobster (2011-12-26 03:17:55)

#4 2012-04-13 11:28:46

Lobster
Banned

So did anyone see "John Carter"? I tried watching it since I like movies about Mars but was quickly bored.

#5 2022-08-28 14:47:12

Mars_B4_Moon

Mars colony in Moonshot (2022) movie
https://www.humanmars.net/2022/07/mars- … movie.html
Moonshot is recently released (March 2022) science fiction teen comedy set in 2049 when trips to Mars has become routine for skilled or wealthy people.

You can also explore previous posts from blog hashtags for videogame art or illustration or 'Starman' for example
https://www.humanmars.net/search/label/Starman

Last edited by Mars_B4_Moon (2022-08-28 14:52:07)

Board footer