New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#51 2011-12-10 12:27:51

JoshNH4H
Website

Re: Rebirth of New Mars; Establishment of New Mars Editorial Board

I think you should find it on the index page of each of the subfora all the way on the right, on top, in the same line as the page numbers.

I don't think we necessarily need a new forum for economy, as that stuff fits in quite well with all of the other stuff in life support, but a renaming might be in order.

-Josh

#52 2011-12-10 18:58:20

Josh Cryer

Weren't politics and economy the same on the old forums? Have to check the Wayback Machine, but I think so.

Some useful links while MER are active. [url=http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/home/index.html]Offical site[/url] [url=http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/MM_NTV_Web.html]NASA TV[/url] [url=http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/mer2004/]JPL MER2004[/url] [url=http://www.spaceflightnow.com/mars/mera/statustextonly.html]Text feed[/url]
--------
The amount of solar radiation reaching the surface of the earth totals some 3.9 million exajoules a year.

#53 2011-12-10 20:18:41

louis

Thanks - I see it now! 

I think the definition under Life Support is a bit restrictive but happy to post there if that's where you think economic issues should go.

Let's Go to Mars...Google on: Fast Track to Mars blogspot.com

#54 2011-12-11 11:33:10

JoshNH4H
Website

IMO Life Support refers to the more technical aspects of it- e.g., if you want to talk about the capacity to produce and how things will be produced and what the specifications of the machines that do the production will be and what people need and other things that are quantifiable and knowable or predictable in advance, I would go to Life Support.

If on the other hand you want to talk about currencies and inflation and apply current macroeconomic and microeconomic theories to Mars (theories which are grossly unscientific), then that belongs in Mars Politics.

-Josh

#55 2011-12-11 14:51:33

louis

The Mars Politics forum states it deals with "How should Mars be governed? Should there be a planetary government with constitution?"   

The scope for economic activity on Mars is not covered by that description. But if that's where people think it should go, I'll bung it there.

However I do think the fact that there isn't a forum for Mars economics betrays the fact people are completely underestimating the scope for economic development on Mars. We are in a box thinking about Mars colonisation purely in terms of the scientific, technical and possibly legal challenges. I think there are significant opportunities for the Mars colony to pay its way from day one. Because there are, that could impact on how quickly the colony if it's done right - but we have to move far, far away from the NASA lunar mission model.

#56 2011-12-12 12:28:23

JoshNH4H
Website

Well, I could see it being changed to politics and economy, or at least the description changed.  That's a legitimate point of discussion.  What do you think, Josh?

-Josh

#57 2011-12-12 21:08:36

Josh Cryer

How's that?

Some useful links while MER are active. [url=http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/home/index.html]Offical site[/url] [url=http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/MM_NTV_Web.html]NASA TV[/url] [url=http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/mer2004/]JPL MER2004[/url] [url=http://www.spaceflightnow.com/mars/mera/statustextonly.html]Text feed[/url]
--------
The amount of solar radiation reaching the surface of the earth totals some 3.9 million exajoules a year.

#58 2011-12-12 21:31:11

JoshNH4H
Website

That Martian Politics should perhaps be changed to Martian Politics and Economy, or something of that nature

-Josh

#59 2011-12-31 08:34:29

RGClark
Website

Very glad to have you guys back.
Congratulations on the re-birth.

Bob Clark

Old Space rule of acquisition (with a nod to Star Trek - the Next Generation):

“Anything worth doing is worth doing for a billion dollars.”

#60 2011-12-31 15:13:47

JoshNH4H
Website

Welcome back RGClark.  Glad to see you. 

Are we going to be doing that mass-mailing anytime soon, to get anyone who is interested to come back?

-Josh

#61 2011-12-31 21:34:41

Mark Friedenbach

I'm a little late to this discussion, but I would recommend a separate forum for economics. Yes the examples you give should be either in politics or life support, but I can think of valuable things to discuss which don't belong in either. Using predictions of supply and demand to determine what ISRU resources would be valuable, for example. I would even recommend a forum that includes not just economics, but near-term space entrepreneurship as well. "Economics and entrepreneurship" or something like that.. It would be very nice if there were a home for discussion with the few entrepreneurs that we have here.

#62 2012-01-01 03:10:11

JonClarke

Mark Friedenbach wrote:

I'm a little late to this discussion, but I would recommend a separate forum for economics. Yes the examples you give should be either in politics or life support, but I can think of valuable things to discuss which don't belong in either. Using predictions of supply and demand to determine what ISRU resources would be valuable, for example. I would even recommend a forum that includes not just economics, but near-term space entrepreneurship as well. "Economics and entrepreneurship" or something like that.. It would be very nice if there were a home for discussion with the few entrepreneurs that we have here.

I think this is an excellent idea.

#63 2012-01-01 08:27:57

louis

JonClarke wrote:
Mark Friedenbach wrote:

I think this is an excellent idea.

I agree.  I think it is very important that we start thinking in terms of entrepreneurial activity because what would really put a brake on the development of Mars as a near self-sufficient community  would be a lack of revenue to fund  Mars-orientated activities. If you can generate enough revenue, you can cover the cost of interplanetary transit and it is that cost which is the real brake on colonisation of Mars.

The more entrepreneurship, the more revenue, the bigger the colony, the more science and exploration.

#64 2012-01-01 23:11:25

JoshNH4H
Website

^Fourthed, actually.  When put that way it's very different from what the politics section has been used for in the past.  On the other hand... we already have so many subfora.  That's something that really needs to be tackled, IMO.  I'd be glad to come up with a proposal to condense them, if joshcryer or jburk are interested in doing so.

-Josh

#65 2012-01-01 23:38:15

JonClarke

Policy and economics are linked, but so many others.

Policy I think, tends to be about what countries are doing now, or will be doing in the future, or we think should be doing.

An economic subforum would enable people to discuss how a Mars settlement (or even initial missions) could become economically viable

#66 2012-01-02 01:47:23

Josh Cryer

I could've swore we had Mars Politics and Economics in the same forum. How about if I rename Human Missions to Colonization like on the old forums? It seems that is how I had it before. I'll wait for some semblance of a consensus before deciding anything (and yes I've been here). tongue

--------

#67 2012-01-02 12:35:52

Mark Friedenbach

Agree with the Human missions -> Colonization, although I still think we need to separate Politics and Economics/entrepreneurship.

EDIT: My point is more that there are valuable things to discuss in economics and entrepreneurship which do not classify as either politics or policy. More critically, I can imagine such discussions getting sidetracked quite quickly by discussions of politics and policy, which is why it would be nice to have those in a separate forum.

Last edited by Mark Friedenbach (2012-01-02 13:52:11)

#68 2012-04-05 07:47:52

Terraformer
Website

Congratulations JoshNH4H. Do take a light hand, though, when it comes to terraforming (we really could do with a General Terraforming subforum).

"I'm gonna die surrounded by the biggest idiots in the galaxy." - If this forum was a Mars Colony

#69 2012-04-10 09:30:43

cIclops

I would just like to say rumors of my kicking the bit bucket are totally false!

[color=darkred]Let's go to Mars and far beyond -  triple NASA's budget ![/color] [url=irc://freenode#space]  #space channel !! [/url] [url=http://www.youtube.com/user/c1cl0ps]   - videos !!![/url]

#70 2012-04-10 09:35:50

Rxke

cIclops wrote:

I would just like to say rumors of my kicking the bit bucket are totally false!

WOO.... HOOO!

smile

#71 2012-04-10 16:57:34

SpaceNut
Administrator

Welcome back cIclops

What took so long wink

#72 2012-04-11 09:52:11

Midoshi

Yay, good to hear from you cIclops.

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Albert Einstein

#73 2012-08-08 18:27:40

James Burk
Executive Director
Website

I recently attended the 15th Annual International Mars Society Convention in Pasadena, CA.  It culminated with the landing on Mars of the Curiosity Rover.  I discussed the fact that NewMars.com was back online with several of the people there, including Susan Martin, who is now the Executive Director of the Mars Society.  I also mentioned that we are still trying to recover the data from the 2007-2010 time period for these forums, with not much luck.  We probably will just go on with what is here now -- with the users/discussions/groups hierarchy in its current state, and moderators that are currently designated.

We are going to proceed with establishing an editorial board for the New Mars Journal and these discussion forums.  The editorial board will ensure that there are active moderators for each of the Discussion areas, and will reestablish the New Mars Journal with new content and articles.  We will implement the Editorial Board as a restricted-access Google Group under @marssociety.org.  The exact address is TBD.  This is done not only to speed communication among the board but also to create an audit trail and ease in posting any meeting minutes here.

If you are interested in serving on the New Mars editorial board, please email me - jburk@marssociety.org -- I plan to invite Adrian Hon and Richard Wagner, who both were previous editors in chief of the New Mars Journal.

We are open to suggestions on how to best improve these discussion forums.  Use the main Suggestion Box -- You can open a support ticket with our IT staff as well by emailing webmaster@marssociety.org -- that will open a ticket in our new support system and somebody will be sure to get back to you in response to your suggestion.

Thanks,

James L. Burk
Executive Director, The Mars Society
jburk@marssociety.org
+1 (206) 601-7143

#74 2012-08-19 00:11:39

James Burk
Executive Director
Website

We are about a week or so away from sending the Editorial Board invites.  We will be using either Google Groups or a Drupal Commons-based website to host the Editorial Board.  So far I will be inviting Richard Wagner, Adrian Hon, Susan Martin (Exec Director of TMS and editor of TMQ), Michael Stoltz (PR director for TMS) and Josh Cryer (newmars forums co-admin with me).  I will be on the board as a staff member, probably non-voting, or at least quiet. 

If you are interested in getting one of these invites, please email me with your interest & qualifications.  Thanks,

James L. Burk
Executive Director, The Mars Society
jburk@marssociety.org
+1 (206) 601-7143

Board footer