New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#26 2011-11-27 18:29:51

JoshNH4H
Website

Re: Phobos Grunt - RKA sample return mission to Phobos

Midoshi- I guess I was rather behind on the science of this one.  It's actually relatively bad for colonization if phobos and deimos are made of martian material, given that that will tend to contain relatively little water or carbon, and instead be made primarily of rocks (basalt?), which tend not to make good rocket fuel.  I mean there is the Silane/LOX possibility, but that's rather out there, it would be preferable to be able to use methlox. 

Perhaps MSL will be able to get some shots of them on its way in, though.

-Josh

#27 2011-11-27 18:47:12

SpaceNut
Administrator

So the food for thought is that they are from impact material thrown into orbit.... rather than captured asteriods.

Any thoughts on when it will fall from orbit....

#28 2011-11-28 10:12:29

Midoshi

SpaceNut wrote:

Any thoughts on when it will fall from orbit....

The current thought is that it will decrease in altitude for the next several million years, at which point it will have passed the Roche Limit and Mars' tidal gravity will tear it apart to form a ring. I assume the ring's orbit would then continue to slowly decay.

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Albert Einstein

#29 2011-11-28 16:20:38

Grypd

Sorry Midoshi I believe that Spacenut is talking about the Phobos-Grunt probe losing orbit.

The answer to that is it is already losing height but it really depends on the next few days and it may be only that this probe has before it starts to burn up.

Chan eil mi aig a bheil ùidh ann an gleidheadh an status quo; Tha mi airson cur às e.

#30 2011-11-28 17:20:03

Midoshi

Grypd wrote:

I believe that Spacenut is talking about the Phobos-Grunt probe losing orbit.

Yeah, I couldn't decide what he meant from the context since the topic had been leaning toward Phobos for the past couple posts. Made a judgement call, seemed to have screwed it up. Oh well.

The altitude of Phobos-Grunt has not been decaying according to predictions and has actually gone up a few times already, apparently due to automatic thruster adjustments for maintaining attitude. Commands to raise the orbit to prevent uncontrolled burn-up were specifically sent today to try to salvage the mission.

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Albert Einstein

#31 2011-11-28 18:59:06

SpaceNut
Administrator

Not really off but interesting that the mars moon Phobos ending dimise....

let the conspiracy theory commence...as well as the blame game

Did US climate weapon knock-out Russian probe

Last edited by SpaceNut (2011-11-28 19:46:21)

#32 2023-03-01 13:39:22

Mars_B4_Moon

I see reports Russia, will team up with Hindu government ISRO India and start developing Marsoplane to study Red Planet
but some think at this stage Russians can only slow India down and hold them back?

It would now seem the Russian Space Program died with Putin.  Russia had also planned not to do just Mars but also many other Moons and planets like Venus, in the 90s it was stuck for cash so had ideas send its own mission to Venus in addition to the planned joint mission with  another country like Europe / ESA or NASA / the USA "Venera-D," it never got to launch.

Putin has destroyed international norms, at home has more or less called a draft conscription sending his young men off into mobilization for a meat grinder war.

Around 1967- to the 70s and early  80s Venusian studies carried out in Russia were at the forefront of international research but its now dead.
Other than ISS support Putin has made Roscosmos into a dying space agency?

They wanted to move around on Venus in 2014 that is a decade in the past and the science mission completely dead replaced by politics and war mongering and imperialism.

Putin’s most baffling remarks about the West since the war in Ukraine started
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl … 87196.html
Russia to quit International Space Station after 2024
https://www.politico.eu/article/russia- … tion-2024/

A wonder of flying once made by Ukraine Russia, the An-225 now totally destroyed by the imperialist an echo of USSR times and a war mongering Russian invasion.
https://twitter.com/kinvshchuk/status/1 … 4044148736

So they in Russia make the threat to leave the ISS, they quit and then what, where is the space program? They have launched nothing to Venus or Mars, no Space telescope, No Rover! So back to 1950s and 1960s 'feats' like Salyut or Sputnik type launches while many other nations have evolved moving into the 21st Century and beyond??

Last edited by Mars_B4_Moon (2023-03-01 13:45:00)

Board footer