New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: This forum is accepting new registrations by emailing newmarsmember * gmail.com become a registered member. Read the Recruiting expertise for NewMars Forum topic in Meta New Mars for other information for this process.

#51 2008-05-18 16:44:05

cIclops

Re: Mass People Transport

Yep, it's in the plan.

[color=darkred]Let's go to Mars and far beyond -  triple NASA's budget ![/color] [url=irc://freenode#space]  #space channel !! [/url] [url=http://www.youtube.com/user/c1cl0ps]   - videos !!![/url]

#52 2008-05-19 06:11:42

Gregori

Good!!!

I'm thinking that going on an interplanetary cruise will be very different to being on a passenger plane. It will be more akin to an ocean liner (like Titanic!!) It will never become as cheap as a passenger plane. It won't need to either as people would willing pay thousands to see Mars, Venus, Moon etc etc

For the time being, I don't necessarily mean commerical passenger services.
I'm thinking of how a large Martian colony/base could be built and maintained using near contemporary technology. that would require a lot of workers.

Whether we use a SSTO method or Ares-style Rocket to get people up there to orbit, a ferry vehicle between Earth and Mars would still be an extremely useful piece of infrastructure. It would never need to land so it would be fully reusable and much bigger than any craft that could be launched on the ground!

#53 2008-05-19 13:51:07

JoshNH4H
Website

a GC nuclear rocket, possibly using NILFiR (Isp 3000) would be a good kind of ship to have.

-Josh

#54 2008-05-20 17:33:08

Gregori

a GC nuclear rocket, possibly using NILFiR (Isp 3000) would be a good kind of ship to have.

I know nothing about gc, but what stops it having a meltdown?

#55 2008-05-20 17:52:22

GCNRevenger

Gas core ("GC") rockets handle and contain the nuclear fuel in a gaseous state. Its already melted down, and boiled even.

In a "traditional" GC-NR (nuclear rocket) the fuel gas is contained in the center of what is basically a "whirlpool" of liquid hydrogen, so that it does not touch the walls of the engine at all.

[i]"The power of accurate observation is often called cynicism by those that do not have it." - George Bernard Shaw[/i]

[i]The glass is at 50% of capacity[/i]

Board footer