New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#26 2008-05-18 15:23:31

Zydar

Re: Candor Chasma

To jumpboy11j,

If it's not a structure, then please tell me why there a shadow being cast at the lower left side of the inner anomaly like there is behind the ejecta at the upper right of the crater rim?

Zydar

#27 2008-05-18 22:50:16

cIclops

Looks like a dune field to me.

[color=darkred]Let's go to Mars and far beyond -  triple NASA's budget ![/color] [url=irc://freenode#space]  #space channel !! [/url] [url=http://www.youtube.com/user/c1cl0ps]   - videos !!![/url]

#28 2008-05-19 11:33:04

nickname
Banned

cIclops,

I'm pretty sure i see the EPCOT dome building inside the big (O) that is a monorail system.
Those Disney people will build anywhere. smile

To me i see a dune structure inside a crater, typical upheaval of material in the center of the crater with sand blowing across it.
If you look at the top of the O you see the sand blowing at the end of it.

Science facts are only as good as knowledge.
Knowledge is only as good as the facts.
New knowledge is only as good as the ones that don't respect the first two.

#29 2008-05-21 08:05:07

Vincent
Banned

You guys missed my point.

If we got an imager that can resolve down to 3 ft, lets give it a look. My point is why no look? This is one of the most intriguing images from Mars. How many more buttes and dunes we need to see.

Today is image release day from MRO. No one will be in a hurry to look because it will be a false color image of dunes and buttes. Show us the stuff brother.

What is in that image? I have no idea and neither do you.

Vincent

Argument expected.
I don't require agreement when presenting new ideas.

-Dana Johnson

#30 2008-05-21 09:05:02

Vincent
Banned

While Zydar is out looking for some good conclusive images of intelligent life I suppose we could put up some areas we would think the MRO team would look at. Trust me if the Face had not turned out to be a butte we would never have seen it.

Under the grumpy old man banner I say, “Show us the stuff.”

I will post one image at a time and you boys can comment if you like.

P.S. There are no wrong answers because we have no idea.

The first image looks like a lake. Could be. Could be a low topo area covered in CO2 ice. Wait, that stuff is suppose to be transparent, oh well.

The one million dollar question? Why no look?

Vincent

2510773235_05e8cf4397.jpg

Argument expected.

-Dana Johnson

#31 2008-05-23 03:29:19

Zydar

I have had alook at the image of the lake posted above.

I have processed this image and the block patterns that can be seen are definitely structures. It would appear that the lake contains water or water-ice and there are settlements surrounding it. Take note of the long double line along one edge. This is the best I can do with this particular image due to the resolution. I have increase the overall size of the image by a factor of two. Have a look and see what you think about the scene.

Lake_pc_g20_s_sola-g160_2x.jpg

Zydar

#32 2008-05-24 13:56:38

Vincent
Banned

Zydar,

I see no evidence of alien structures on this image, frozen brine lake maybe. The white band at the base of the feature is water snow that has fallen and the winds has blown it to the southern edge.

The chain on the right side does look peculiar but could be explained by  a hybrid geyser.

Sorry brother, keep looking

Vincent

Argument expected.

-Dana Johnson

#33 2008-05-25 10:19:13

Zydar

The image I have posted above does contain structures. The detail of the structures is unable to be seen due to the resolution per pixel but if you look to the right edge of the lake you will see that there is the ouline of a large structure where the basic shape can be determined. The twin white row bordering the lower part of the lake is also a dual line of structures with a small settlement behind. These particular structures are not shown highlighted as the material they are built of is darker than the materials used for the structures of the other settlements.

As a matter of interest, the other image of the 'Golf Ball' crater has many structures just outside of the crater rim. Again, the structural shapes are still hard to determine due to resolution per pixel but the outline of them shows up when solarization is applied during image procesing.

Zydar

#34 2008-05-26 05:15:28

Vincent
Banned

Zydar,

The image I have posted above does contain structures. The detail of the structures is unable to be seen due to the resolution per pixel

That means we got to break out the inconclusive stamp.

Vincent

Argument expected.

-Dana Johnson

Board footer