New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2008-04-05 18:52:46

louis

Re: Artist in residence.

Artist in Residence.

I'd hope the colony woudl have an artist in residence from early on in the project. They shouldn't take too much in the way of artists' materials. They should use the local materials to make art. Lots can be done with slate or similar, pebbles, carbon to draw with.  They might be allowed to take a sketch book or two with them. Of course they can also use their laptops to produce pictures which can be e mailed back to earth.

Maybe third mission onwards there would be someone to produce art objects for the habitat.

Let's Go to Mars...Google on: Fast Track to Mars blogspot.com

#2 2008-04-06 04:49:43

zhar2

That maybe a bit hopeful, unless he/she as another more vital role in the mission.

#3 2008-04-06 08:26:41

Terraformer
Website

The first people to land on Mars will inevitably draw pictures. All that would be needed is to work out who is most talented and give them a short art course.

"I'm gonna die surrounded by the biggest idiots in the galaxy." - If this forum was a Mars Colony

#4 2008-04-06 08:52:29

louis

Zhar -

Well I think an artist will be important in creating the right psychological home environment on Mars. I don't think we should ignore art for too long.

As far as I am concerned Mars is going to be a second spiritual home for humankind. Art is crucial to making it homely.

#5 2008-04-06 13:36:50

zhar2

Well being a artist oo i agree.

But it wont happen in the first mission.

#6 2008-04-06 18:26:53

louis

Agreed. I was suggesting maybe third mission - say six years in.

#7 2008-05-08 17:27:55

Gregori

The first people to land on Mars will inevitably draw pictures. All that would be needed is to work out who is most talented and give them a short art course.

Why? They'll have digital cameras! We're not going back to the 18th century explorations, where drawings were an invaluable tool.

I'd totally like to draw on Mars, in the sand big_smile

#8 2008-05-10 05:55:27

Terraformer
Website

But pictures don't capture the essence of being on Mars, which will be invaluable to get support for colonisation.

"I'm gonna die surrounded by the biggest idiots in the galaxy." - If this forum was a Mars Colony

#9 2008-05-15 09:14:26

Gregori

But pictures don't capture the essence of being on Mars, which will be invaluable to get support for colonisation.

I think there are better ways to capture the essence of Mars than pictures. A documentary (like those Richard Attenborough style yokeys) would do a great job of it. Use small robotic drone planes to record dramatic flybies of interesting Martian terrain like the volcanos, canyons, poles and craters!!

Most images of the Red Planet so far have been black and white stills.

We need a true colour video documentary of the Red Planet and the lives of colonists there. Nobody knows what Mars sounds like, we need to get a microphone up there!!

#10 2008-05-16 18:13:54

louis

Certainly agree about the documentaries, Gregori.  I think they could make a modest contribution to costs.

Also a dedicated Mars website including real time weather info, webcams etc might attract subscribers prepared to pay quite large amounts among universities around the world. 1,000 subscribers at $1,000 a time?

Also, maybe a Radio Mars station  - that could attract quite large sponsorship I think.

#11 2008-05-17 05:18:37

Terraformer
Website

NASAs budget is lower than I thought,if they cn't afford a color camera.

#12 2008-05-17 08:48:42

Gregori

NASAs budget is lower than I thought,if they cn't afford a color camera.

They've taken some colour photos and they're impressive, but they need more. Full colour video would do the trick. It would make Mars feel more tangible!

Board footer