New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#26 2008-04-03 02:57:59

zhar2

Re: Phoenix landing site images

I am sorry I seem to have bored some people with the findings of my visual research, but researching the images is what I am interested in. In posting some images on the forum I was hoping in doing so may have stirred and encouraged some scientific debate. It would appear to me that no one believes what they see until it is handed to them on a plate!

I believe the entry and landing sequence of the Phoenix mission will go perfectly. The crucial phase of the mission will be the last twenty feet. If a descent camera is going to be used, it will be interesting to see the images sent back as well as the images of the surface terrain.

Zydar

LOL  big_smile

Yeah we might see some cities and tiny green men. big_smile

#27 2008-04-03 03:10:44

Zydar

To zhar2,

What is there to' laugh out loud' about?

This is a serious discussion topic. It would appear to me that people who project their ideas, theories and reasearch on a forum such as this have to face ridicule just because some members do not have an open mind or are not free thinkers. I feel the majority of people on this planet have been braiwashed with historic ideas and concepts about the Universe which are still with us in the 21st century.

Zydar

#28 2008-04-05 13:28:51

Zydar

Here is a close-up image of the white patch and surrounding terrain as seen in the previous image. Take not that some of the polygonal shapes appear to be interlinked.

Is the white object a frost patch or a structure?

006561_2485_close_crop.jpg

Image credit: NASA/JPL/University of Arizona

Zydar

#29 2008-04-06 08:23:55

Terraformer
Website

To me it looks like a frost patch.

You want scientific debate? Fine, I'll start it. First Question: If there are intelligent beings on the planet, how did they get there? They couldn't have evolved; the enviroment was and is too hostile to complex life. That leaves us with three options: They were created by a god, complete with all the life support needed; they evolved in underground gas pockets that had the right ingrediants; or they were seeded by an alien lifeform from another planet. Only an insane/stupid god would create them on a planet that they have to be given life support, so we can strike that off, leaving us with the other two. Is there any evidence for underground gas pockets?

"I'm gonna die surrounded by the biggest idiots in the galaxy." - If this forum was a Mars Colony

#30 2008-04-07 05:12:37

idiom

Why can't a god be insane?

Come on to the Future

#31 2008-04-07 10:11:55

Terraformer
Website

I suppose God could have placed aliens on there complete with the needed life support, I just find it extremely unlikely.

Most likely explaination if there is complex life: they lived in undergroung gas pockets using residual volcanism.

"I'm gonna die surrounded by the biggest idiots in the galaxy." - If this forum was a Mars Colony

#32 2008-04-12 12:27:54

Zydar

It would appear the Phoenix mission controllers have had second thoughts about a touchdown at the site which is the subject of this thread. The site they now prefer is approx. 8 miles to the south-east.

Could it possibly be that they have been reading the posts on this site and decided to make a change considering the integrity of the original site was brought into question.

I look forward to examining the images of the proposed new landing site.

Zydar

#33 2008-04-12 13:26:35

Terraformer
Website

Zydar,

When people ignore my [rational] arguments, I take that as a sign that the are irrational and have no counter argument.

Occams Razor: The simplest explaination is most likely the right one. Sorry for shattering your illusion.

#34 2008-04-12 16:02:43

Zydar

No Terraformer, I am not ignoring your argument. It's just that I have no wish to entertain the inclusion of a perceived supernatural force that is beyond the comprehension of most people. It's more than possible that the force that seeded intelligent life on this planet could also have seeded life on Mars. That is something for the Astrobiologists to get their teeth into. The problem is that we have been led to believe by the science community that life on Mars is not viable due to the harsh environment and the hostile atmosphere. But maybe, the atmosphere is not as hostile as the scientists are making out. As an example, look at the tall trees and the huge number of structures that can be seen on the terrain in some of the images. How did the trees get there and who built the structures? The fact is, they are there for everyone to see should they care to do the research.

I believe from what I have observed of the Martian surface that the planet is inhabited, and quite possibly, by an intelligent human-like species. How far that species has advanced by earthly standards, I feel, will be the subject of much debate in the coming years. There is enough evidence in the images returned to Earth which indicates that this is more than just a possibility. I just hope at some time in the future one of the MER's will come across some real live Martians. That would prove my theory of intelligent life being on the planet once and for all.

Zydar

#35 2008-04-12 16:49:21

JoshNH4H
Website

It looks more like a dog to me.  Or maybe a Rorschach test.

-Josh

#36 2008-04-13 11:02:39

Terraformer
Website

The most likely explaination, if there is intelligent life on the planet, is that it's from Earth. Who knows how far ahead of everyone else the military are? Could be an offspring of the Strategic Defense Initiative.

#37 2008-04-18 19:51:54

idiom

That would be awesome.

Mars Colonisation? Oh yeah we have been there for fifty years now smile

Come on to the Future

#38 2008-04-19 10:22:46

Terraformer
Website

I'm sure all the Technology DARPA has is more than they could have developed with there budget, even if it's around a Trillion. They must be using Asteroids.  lol  big_smile  8)

#39 2008-04-24 12:15:52

God, give it a rest, theres nothing there.

There is nothing there suggestive of biology.

Yes I agree completely. Please give this woo woo nonsense a rest Zydar.

Firstly the average density of the Martian atmosphere on the low lying areas is about the same as the Earth's atmosphere is at 30 KM / 19 miles above sea level.

Secondly, the AVERAGE surface temperature of Marsis a chilly -53 C. Of course some areas are warmer, but this far north on Mars, the yearly AVERAGE is below -90 C, in inter drops to -140 C, in Summer perhaps reaches -25C, still well below freezing, that's why Phoenix is being sent to this site, so we get to sample an area, very different to anywhere we,ve been before, in the mid latitudes & the Tropics (the MERs are between the equator & the Tropic of Virgo The northern Martian tropic is the Tropic of Aquarius).

Thirdly, there is no Ozone Layer, to prtectect the surface from solar UV radiation, despite the sulight on Mars averages only 44% as strong as on Earth.

So this talk of trees, structures, etc, is just willful fantasy. Every thing seen on these images can be explained by geological & thermal forces such as frost, etc.

Andrew Brown.

"I suddenly noticed an anomaly to the left of Io, just off the rim of that world. It was extremely large with respect to the overall size of Io". Linda Morabito on discovering that the Jupiter moon Io was volcanically active. Friday 9th March 1979.

#40 2008-04-25 19:52:16

Vincent
Banned

Andrew.

Now I am not defending Earth type structures or biology in those images but the truth is we cant make anything out less than 3 ft.

I do consider myself well versed in Mars weather. The thin atmosphere is strange with large differences in the temperature just off the surface. We have seen water ice melt on Earth on a sunny day with temps of -10c due to solar energy on a dark surface.

Surface temps can reach 0c or 32f just off the ice pack or that is what this data says. Strange place Mars

http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/polari … 03461.html
Vincent
2441430523_4a47c973aa_b.jpg

Argument expected.
I don't require agreement when presenting new ideas.

-Dana Johnson

Board footer