New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#51 2007-08-12 05:32:45

dryson

Re: Why Not Offer A "Bounty" For A Mars Mission - 10 Billion dollars for the first

We call those ‘natural monopolies,’ because they exist due to location, and so on. Telephone, water, electricity, cable, etc, are all natural monopolies. In our current level of society we have to pipe those things through each and every household. In fact, my neighbors cable lines probably go through the walls in my apartment. Same goes with telephone lines, pipes, etc.

So it makes little sense for some private entity to own something which goes through my own property. This is why they're regulated. I want some control over a resource which I actually share a part in.

Actually this is untrue. If your house has never had a cable line ran to they will take make a new connection from the cable that is ran overhead along with the other powerlines. It will then get ran down the pole and into your house. cable is not like the water or sewer line. it is not built off a neighbors line, after all who would pay for it.

#52 2008-02-09 10:38:44

JoshNH4H
Website

Re: Why Not Offer A "Bounty" For A Mars Mission - 10 Billion dollars for the first

I would say something like this, to entice people to go to mars:  Your base(/outpost/colony), and 10 km is YOURS, you can do whatever you want with it.  Everything not in someone's area is (get this, it seems like josh would like it) EVERYONE'S Of course, there could be something like everything you manufacture is yours, unless you sell it, but natural resources can't be claimed, anyone who can get to them can use them.

-Josh

#53 2008-02-10 05:16:52

Terraformer
Website

Er... does anyone want to Terraform this planet?

I can just Imagine it.

Person on top of a Mountain: 'I think we should Terraform Mars'.

Person in Crater/Canyon: 'No, I don't. I'll get flooded.'

Trraforming goes ahead; who's going to compensate the person in the crater?

How about: Governments or companies can't claim land, only individuals or groups. How much you can claim is limited by how much you can hold. That would ensure that each group gets as much as they need to survive per person.

"I'm gonna die surrounded by the biggest idiots in the galaxy." - If this forum was a Mars Colony

#54 2008-02-10 08:58:48

JoshNH4H
Website

Big decisions like (para)terraforming could be voted on.  This could, I think be a mostly idealistic society.

-Josh

#55 2008-02-10 09:31:03

Terraformer
Website

Hmmm, I don't like the idea of being limited to Paraterraforming. If whether or not to terraform is decided on before the colinization, then people would know not to settle in areas that would get flooded.

"I'm gonna die surrounded by the biggest idiots in the galaxy." - If this forum was a Mars Colony

#56 2008-02-10 15:02:30

JoshNH4H
Website

As you know, I believe that paraterraforming is the only way to do the job right, or semipermanently..  So it's not really 'limited' to paraterraforming, more that the other methods wouldn't really work as well.  However, A general consensus should be established first.

-Josh

#57 2008-02-13 07:14:45

Terraformer
Website

Unless we agree 'No Seas'.

#58 2008-02-19 08:51:50

JoshNH4H
Website

If they don't want paraterraforming, then we can stop the dome right outside of their owned area-10 km.  If they don't want to be flooded, they can build themselves a dam.

-Josh

#59 2008-02-19 09:59:26

Terraformer
Website

Don't you mean the people who the terraforming should build the dam? They're the ones causing the flooding.

#60 2008-02-20 15:40:27

JoshNH4H
Website

They can share the cost.  Lets hope everyone thinks ahead far enough.  besides, it doesn't make a huge difference, having your town in a near vacuum and having it underwater.

-Josh

#61 2008-02-20 16:23:01

Terraformer
Website

Actually, you're going from the pressure being on the inside forcing out, to the pressure from the outside trying to crush you.

But we don't really need seas anyway. A few lakes should do. Let Venus become the sea world (It would according to the proposals I've seen for terraforming it.)

#62 2008-02-21 15:26:23

JoshNH4H
Website

Honestly, it was you who brought up that idea anyway.  But this has gone so foar off topic, it really fis in civilization and culture now.

-Josh

#63 2008-03-12 09:59:42

Gregori

I want to be the first man to pee all over Mars, therefore claiming the land.

#64 2008-03-15 14:00:41

Terraformer
Website

Except it will vaporise in the near-vacuum before reaching the ground wink

#65 2008-04-06 01:54:23

Gregori

I've got a better idea. Give NASA the money, and let them do there job right. It will take some time, but it will happen.

Except it will vaporise in the near-vacuum before reaching the ground wink

Vapourise in YOUR Face!!!

#66 2008-04-06 13:49:29

Terraformer
Website

I won't be anywhere near mars when the costs of getting there are low enough for you to get there, Gregori. I'll be terraforming Ceres, mining the asteroids, zipping around the solar system in my personal, NTR Powered shuttle...

I'll say it again: You should be allowed as much land in space as you can hold. That includes asteroids as well.

#67 2008-04-06 15:39:35

Gregori

I won't be anywhere near mars when the costs of getting there are low enough for you to get there, Gregori. I'll be terraforming Ceres, mining the asteroids, zipping around the solar system in my personal, NTR Powered shuttle...

I'll say it again: You should be allowed as much land in space as you can hold. That includes asteroids as well.

Terraform Ceres, LMAO

#68 2022-08-27 08:18:12

Mars_B4_Moon

Moon shot redux
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/20 … hot-redux/

To reach Mars, we need biotechnology
https://www.labiotech.eu/in-depth/biote … ce-travel/

Elon Musk Says Sending Starship to Orbit Is Still One of His 'Main Goals' For 2022
https://www.cnet.com/science/space/elon … -for-2022/

Board footer