New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#126 2004-08-17 14:17:30

JammerG55
Banned

Re: Languages - Parlo Italiano - What langauge should be the Official?

I still say English is good enough for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! tongue

The sky is the limit...unless you live in a cave big_smile

#127 2005-10-16 19:55:09

spaceman9000

I think that the official language (at least for my city-state) should be Latin. After all, Latin is the language of science and its really easy to learn. Also, the greatest civilization in the history of the world (Rome) spoke it.

"The government that governs least, governs best"
-Thomas Jefferson

#128 2005-10-16 23:29:07

RobS
Banned
Website

Easy to learn? Have you tried? Easier than Greek, yes. But you will have to invent a few million Latin words for such things as software and internet, and case endings are a real pain when writing mathematical texts. Furthermore, your city state will have no literature to read, no television shows to watch, and no slang (unless you want to borrow slang from the Vatican, the only other city state to use Latin in the last five hundred years).

-- RobS

#129 2005-10-17 17:43:33

spaceman9000

Hey man, I'm in Latin, and I think its easy as heck! And besides, we get most of our words form Latin (52.5%) and Greek, where do think "astronaut" came from? As for slank and the media, I've seen plenty of good books written in Latin. I mean, I think its better then Spainsh and French, and I hate the English language anyway.  big_smile
After all, this is only my personal opinion of what should be the official language. No need to get ballistic on me.

"The government that governs least, governs best"
-Thomas Jefferson

#130 2005-10-17 18:05:53

SpaceBull

Who cares? Language is a minor issue, and kids can learn any language very fast. Let the Martians decide what language they want to speak among themselves. I do not care if they decide on Mandarin, English, Japanese or whatever. They will probably not even make a decision, but simply let one language evolve as the dominant one.

[url=http://www.newmars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3941]Martian Settlement 2035?[/url]

#131 2006-04-01 18:55:45

Mars_B4_Moon

What if the first space colony is speaking Chinese
http://www.newmars.com/forums/viewtopic … 39&start=0
a red-Moon and then China sticks its flag into Mars ?

#132 2006-04-02 05:35:53

Grypd

If the first person on Mars is Chinese so be it they will get the applause and the great PR. But it will come down to who actually colonizes the planet and Mars is a big place. There may well be a Chinese colony, A USA one, Russian, Indian and European as well. Even I hope a Scottish one but it depends on technology we dont have and changes to the worlds political structures.

Still im doubtful that the Chinese as they are have the capacity to not only go to Mars but to have a colonisation programme too. Im even doubtful that the Chinese will be able to keep pace with the world they are expanding now but this only increases pressures on there country and costs increase. There bubble may well burst.

Chan eil mi aig a bheil ùidh ann an gleidheadh an status quo; Tha mi airson cur às e.

#133 2006-04-09 19:16:42

Kahless316
Banned

To me, one thing that should be kept in mind is that in most colonies in history, the immigrants (other than the very first ones) will probably be pretty poor.  That's what happened in the Americas.  They came because they wanted a better life.  Mine came during the Potato Famine. 

The point being that any language we select ought to be easy enough for 3rd worlders to pick up.  Lojan doesn't sound like it, nor does Chinese or Italian.  I've always known English so I don't know how hard that would be to learn especial if you speak a non-Euro language like Arabic or Malasian or Thai. 

For that, I think one of the Neo-Latin languages might be easiest to adapt.

Glosa or Ido, possibly Esparanto.

#134 2006-04-25 19:22:41

Earthfirst

KaseiII y Kahless316
English is the bestest speak in da world. You just a buster, me and my soliders only speak American. But like da way thsoe english people speak.
Italino is the language of waitors, spanish is of day labours and illegal aliens. French people have chosen death as a society and soon will be an Islamic state. Allah abaker! wink
English is the most spoken language in the world of 2nd leaners, more people speak english as a second language than any other. So english would be the best language to speak in any international efforts.

I my self have alwise spoken American da right way, I anits gots no need to learn that thier dang itlanio. It makes me madder than a texas ratttle sake. I am leanering spanish so I can tell my day labours what to do. I hate hearing "Que?, No hablo inglish dude, y tu tambien, Que paso homes."

If you are wondering, for fun I wrote most of my post in bad english, and some ubonics mixed in. It is fun to write in the way some poorly educated youths talk.

I love plants!

#135 2006-11-25 10:05:47

Tom Kalbfus
Banned

I was just curious what people thought should be the Official Language on Mars. If the, no offence, Americans get there way we'll all be speaking English. But English is a very poor language with very little structure.
So shouldn't Mars have the perfect language? I say Yes.
And the language I came up with is Italian. Italian is simple to learn for most people in the G7 nations. Also it has a good few grammar rules, not to may though, and are kept to 99% of the time, unlike English. Also it is the closest modern Language to Latin, which most Martian Nomenculture is in. But the reason Latin would not be suitable would be it is missing to many words needed in the modern World. Correct?
Tell me what you think? Is there another language you think is Best (more perfect so please no one who says everyone should speak English, cause most already do....loads speak Spanish and that is just as bad as English).
btw I am not Italian.

Also, Italian is only spoken by 80 million people so it will put (more-or-less) everyone in the same boat - everyone will be  on level pegging, no one will have language advantage in either way;
a) by not having to learn a language
b) or by having a second, private language.

Everyone will have a new language and an old.
This would be best right?

Also, anyone know any Italian Names for Martian Nomenculture...I am curious.]
???

And if Italy gets there first with the most, then most people on Mars will speak Italian. Now your task is to convince the Italian government to foot the bill.

#136 2006-11-26 23:15:19

John Creighton
Website

I think because of the large vocabulary in English ideas can be expressed more princely in English. Since there is less attempt to control the English vocabulary it is more dynamic and evolves to suite the needs of the time. English of course has it’s problems. Since the English vocabulary is borrowed from many other languages the rules of pronunciation depend upon the origin of the word. Thus it can be difficult to no how a word sounds by how it is spelled.

Another limitation of English as opposed to a language like mandarin is that in mandarin you can understand the meaning of a word that you have never seen. Thus mandarin has types of structure that aren’t present in European languages. I have been trying to learn some Spanish lately and one thing I think is neat about Spanish is how the verbs are conjugated. You start with a base verb and changing the ending depending up if you are refereeing to (I, you, you-all, they, it, we) you change the ending. This allows you to leave off the subject in sentences where it is implied by the verb. I am not sure if it is a good or bad thing. It is just neat.

Perhaps a more usefull why of altering a meaning of a word in Spanish is to change the ending of a noun from and “o” (masculine) to an “a” feminum. Example chico (boy) chica (girl). I think Arabic might take this idea further in the sense of words being built up for a root which is a more general idea to a more specific meaning.

Lojban sounds neet as well. Ideally it would be nice for Martians to have a perfect language but perhaps there is no such thing. Like computer languages perhaps spoken languages will always have strengths and weakness and there does not exist a language that can be constructed that is superior in all areas. Unfortunately unlike computer languages people do not learn as many and they do not choose a spoken language based on what they are trying to communicate.

If we wanted to try and make a new language for Martians it would be a good idea to start with a widely spoken language and modify it to suite the goals the language should aspire to. I am not sure though how good this will work because I am really not sure what those goals should be. Would rather call something a cat or say felinusdomestica. It is much easier to say cat but felinusdomestica has much more structure.

Dig into the [url=http://child-civilization.blogspot.com/2006/12/political-grab-bag.html]political grab bag[/url] at [url=http://child-civilization.blogspot.com/]Child Civilization[/url]

#137 2006-11-26 23:24:33

John Creighton
Website

I was just thinking about the language Lojban and how the language has more regular grammar rules and is easier to parse by computers. I wonder when computers start thinking more like people if they will think in Lojban and learn new languages by learning the similarities of the new language with Lojban. Perhaps future computer translators will first translate the speech/text to Lojban before translating it to the goal language of the translation.

Dig into the [url=http://child-civilization.blogspot.com/2006/12/political-grab-bag.html]political grab bag[/url] at [url=http://child-civilization.blogspot.com/]Child Civilization[/url]

#138 2006-11-28 01:09:51

John Creighton
Website

Maybe Martians should speak klingon since Mars is the god of war and klingon are a war like people. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klingon_language

¨In May 2003, the Multnomah County, Oregon Department of Human Services named Klingon on a list of 55 languages for which it might conceivably need interpreters; this story was circulated out-of-context as an urban legend claiming that the department was looking to hire a Klingon interpreter. County Chair Diane Linn called the listing the "result of an overzealous attempt to ensure that our safety net systems can respond to all customers and clients."[1]
A proposal[3] to add support for Klingon to Unicode was rejected[4].

A programming language called var'aq was inspired by Klingon.
Dr. Speers is known for having undertaken the endeavour to raise his child bilingually in English and Klingon; Speers spoke in Klingon and his wife in English. A few years into his life, the child began rejecting Klingon and gravitating towards English, as he could use English with many more speakers. The fact that Klingon lacked many words for things that were important in a baby's life, such as "diaper" (nappy), and "pacifier" (dummy), was a lesser issue. At the time of Speers' attempt, Klingon even lacked words for many objects common around the house, such as "table". The experiment ultimately failed when the child refused to use Klingon when he got older.¨

#139 2008-02-06 07:33:02

EuroLauncher

If the first person on Mars is Chinese so be it they will get the applause and the great PR. But it will come down to who actually colonizes the planet and Mars is a big place. There may well be a Chinese colony, A USA one, Russian, Indian and European as well. Even I hope a Scottish one but it depends on technology we dont have and changes to the worlds political structures.

Still im doubtful that the Chinese as they are have the capacity to not only go to Mars but to have a colonisation programme too. Im even doubtful that the Chinese will be able to keep pace with the world they are expanding now but this only increases pressures on there country and costs increase. There bubble may well burst.

I think the Spanish culture is strongest, it will dominate the English culture

#140 2008-02-06 15:09:39

JoshNH4H
Website

I think in the end, it will be a bigger, much less densley populated NYC

-Josh

#141 2022-07-03 04:37:17

Mars_B4_Moon

The language of the 1400 year old pedophile terrorist who founded islam now proliferates as a separate parallel society inside the United States, Dearborn, Hamtramck will offer Arabic language ballots in August primary.
https://www.michiganradio.org/social-ju … st-primary

The Blade Runner fictional movie universe had English mix with Eastern or Asian culture. In the tv show Expanse they have Hindu culture in space.
https://expanse.fandom.com/wiki/Mariner_Valley

It was originally settled by Chinese, East Indians and Texans from Earth, and people from the Mariner Valley may look like any of those ethnic group, but they generally speak with a Texan accent; for example, Alex Kamal is from there, has the skin complexion and hair color of an East Indian, but speaks with an exaggerated Texan drawl.

Right now there are lot of wreckage of spacecraft on Mars, there are many successful orbiters from different place but the only successful nations to land something to explore Mars have been the United States of America and China.

As human looking robots become more developed and state-of-the-art and as AI advances I am now of the opinion that the first language of Mars might be an Advanced Cyborg language maybe AI doing its own transmission and communication with with their artificial human, using electro magnetic transmission, unique images and sound and their own laser communication that humans would not have the brain to process and will not understand.

Even if the first on Mars are normal humans and not artificial can you truly force its culture? For over 100 years the USA has tried to Americanize Puetro Rico and help its English culture take over but it never happened. Can you make a place change its language and culture, Puetro Rico for example is a protectorate of the United States, it has been tried many times to change its culture.
Both Spanish and English are the official languages of Puerto Rico, but Spanish is without a doubt the dominant language. https://data.census.gov/cedsci/table?ti … eview=true

In our scifi visions of the future there are Utopias and Dystopia, perhaps there is a possibility Mars will grow to also have issues like Earth, it might be a world of poverty, the local humans spending so much time working on equipment and chores to stay live might not have so much time for education. The revival of languages also works or revitalization for people who have a cultural link or identity that holds them to an oppressed or lost language, Korean culture is highly successful, Hebrew is spoken by 9 million, some Australian Aboriginal languages are coming back but Manx from the Isle of Man has gone into extinction.  It is possible the human worker of Mars may do their own thing they might even speak some creole language, or simply creole, pidgin mix of languages, a simplification of words and phrases from Spanish, English, Japanese, French and Chinese, the human miners might have their own natural language that develops from the simplifying and mixing of different languages. No artificial 'forced' language ever really worked, Esperanto comes closest

Last edited by Mars_B4_Moon (2022-07-03 08:59:54)

#142 2022-08-08 04:49:24

Mars_B4_Moon

Will Italy culture survive in the Post-Human Transhuman A.I Cyborg Genetic Engineering and Robot world of Mars?

Italian satellite may fly NASA Earth science payload

https://spacenews.com/italian-satellite … e-payload/

#143 2022-08-08 05:15:07

Mars_B4_Moon

Artist, community members paint mural for future site of Da Vinci Science Center - 69News WFMZ-TV

https://www.wfmz.com/news/area/lehighva … d84fc.html

#144 2022-08-10 09:51:19

Mars_B4_Moon

As I have said maybe the Cyborg people of Mars will make their own New-age language

Language changing the way you think about money

On Earth Portuguese seems to be expanding with the growth of Brazil, Russian culture through the Soviet times have dominated the global landscape, it has declined since the days of the USSR, the French and Japanese also seem to be in decline, Japan rich but now with economic stagnation with a worst falling population, former colonies of France prefer to learn English instead.

More Chinese now learn Spanish.

More students studying Spanish
http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/a/202208/0 … 6ff71.html

Languages of the Future: Most Spoken Languages in 2050
https://www.cactuslanguagetraining.com/ … es-future/
According to the Engco model of language forecasting, by 2050 the top 5 languages in the world will be:

1. Chinese

2. Spanish

3. English

4. Hindi-Urdu

5. Arabic

The language you use affects your saving behavior
https://www.philstar.com/lifestyle/the- … g-behavior

#145 2022-09-01 06:49:31

Mars_B4_Moon

People of Mars might speak whatever language they chose for themselves.

Look at the difficult each translation team has trying to translate exactly what some guy in Ukraine said to the other members debating within the UN. On Mars a culture might grow and evolve and mature beyond any controls of Earth. Even if you had an set of instant A.I lenses reading peoples lips, something like a translating device in your ears would it accurately translate the subtlety and detailed nuance distinction within each new language on Mars. Dialectology a scientific study of linguistic dialect, a sub-field of sociolinguistics, variations in language based primarily on geographic distribution and their associated features. Dialectology treats such topics as divergence of two local dialects from a common ancestor and synchronic variation, now what if you add Cyborgs and robots and enhanced bio-mahicne to this future mix. As part of sociolinguistics, an abstand language is a language variety or cluster of varieties with significant linguistic distance from all others, while an ausbau language is a standard variety, Hindi-Urdu as a pluricentric language. https://books.google.com/books?id=wawGF … c&pg=PA381 "Pluricentricity in the classroom: the Serbo-Croatian language issue for foreign language teaching at higher education institutions worldwide"  https://www.degruyter.com/document/doi/ … -0007/html

New towns on Mars could get Balkanized or develop new ways of speaking following a confederation political break up?

The study presented in this article looks at the effects of the changes in national language policies following the break-up of the Socialist Federal Republic of Yugoslavia on teaching the Serbo-Croatian language or a “language which is simultaneously one and more than one” as a foreign language.

Even inside massive Empires cultures broke down into different groups, language divisions within Justinian I's Byzantine Empire

Mapping the languages of Europe
https://www.academia.edu/2013163/Mappin … _of_Europe

Some people may have multi lingual skills

These people classed as polyglots knowing or using several languages

Journalist delivering news reports in six languages with perfect fluency
https://youtu.be/Otkz0Za68GM
Crowther was born in Luxembourg to a British father and German mother. His father and mother spoke only English and German to him, respectively. He was educated in Luxembourg at the Athénée de Luxembourg, so he is as fluent as anyone in the country in all four languages: French, German, English and Luxembourgish. At the age of 14, he started learning Spanish out of an interest in Spanish football. During a gap year after high school, he went to Barcelona where he learned some Catalan. He learned Portuguese at university, studying at King's College London where he graduated with Hispanic Studies.

I still believe the humanoid Cyborg enhanced people and machine animal will develop their own unique language for Mars, even if Mars has its own language I think cultural items from the USA, China or Italy will always remain, the story and studies of Giovanni Schiaparelli, certain old Earth words might forever be etched on the minds and new people of Mars, they might transmit info in ways people from Earth no longer understand.

The Last Lingua Franca, English Until the Return of Babel - A Review
https://omniglot.com/language/articles/ … franca.htm
Nicholas Ostler is always informative, thought-provoking, and even challenging. He's an MIT-trained linguist of astonishing breadth whose books are always the purest of nectar for linguists and language historians. So it is with The Last Lingua Franca, English Until the Return of Babel, even with its surprising ending.
Ostler writes not about a mother-tongue, a language which is learned naturally as a child, but rather a language learned deliberately for some purpose. These lingua francas bridge gaps between native speakers of different mother tongues. Often enough a mother-tongue is a lingua franca.
The ancient world had Aramaic (the language of Jesus), Greek, Latin, Pali, Persian, Sanskrit, and Sogdian. The modern lingua francas include French, German (until the Third Reich), Latin, Portuguese, Russian, and Spanish. English is the first lingua franca spoken on every continent. There are, of course, many people who think that English will spread without end. Ostler is not one of them.

The Last Lingua Franca by Nicholas Ostler – review
Deborah Cameron predicts an uncertain future for English
https://www.theguardian.com/books/2010/ … ler-review

The Emperor Charles V is supposed to have remarked in the 16th century that he spoke Latin with God, Italian with musicians, Spanish with his troops, German with lackeys, French with ladies and English with his horse. In most books about English, the joke would be turned on Charles, used to preface the observation that the language he dismissed as uncultivated is now a colossus bestriding the world.
Nicholas Ostler, however, quotes it to make the point that no language's triumph is permanent and unassailable. Like empires (and often with them), languages rise and fall, and English, Ostler contends, will be no exception.

Journal 'American Speech'
https://read.dukeupress.edu/american-speech
American Speech has been one of the foremost publications in its field since its founding in 1925. The journal is concerned principally with the English language in the Western Hemisphere, although articles dealing with English in other parts of the world, the influence of other languages by or on English, and linguistic theory are also published. The journal is not committed to any particular theoretical framework, and issues often contain contributions that appeal to a readership wider than the linguistic studies community. Regular features include a book review section and a “Miscellany” section devoted to brief essays and notes.

Does language influence one's mental recording of an event, does it change memory or one's understanding of Legal Morality?
Is language as important as DNA or Race or Ethnicity or the Education method itself when shaping the mind of a future man or woman?
can the language itself change a person or cultures attitude to accidents or crimes or drugs and alcohol? If Mars is to have competing Olympic games can the new Martian language itself help change tactics and perceptions on the gamer field, is sport mostly physical or instinct or does language communication matter, perhaps can it help change a sports player movements in some sport ball event. Does language change one's ability to see art, can one language perceive and describe music better or help one become more musical? Do some language simply flow better as lyrics and sound nicer to hear?
Is there a reason some cultures were more successful in building and planning and sport and warfare compared to other and does language play a role in this?
Will the newer languages and dialects of Mars change how its people deal with loss and grief?

Classics in the History of Psychology -- L. L. Thurstone, The Vectors of Mind (1934)
http://psychclassics.yorku.ca/Thurstone/

Simulation and Analysis of Large Crowds
http://gamma.cs.unc.edu/LARGE/

"The Historiography of Dialectology"
PDF
http://collections.mun.ca/PDFs/lorelang … pdf#page=3

New forms of languages, slang and dialect may evolve over generations

How did "bail" shift to signify "money deposited as a guarantee when released"?
https://languages.codidact.com/posts/284663

What exactly do 'never', 'none', and 'less' mean in Never the less, None the less?
https://english.stackexchange.com/q/536983

A Brief Guide to Legal Corpus Linguistics, the Unholy Fusion of Big Data and Originalism
https://ballsandstrikes.org/legal-cultu … explainer/

One TedTalk guy claims people that speak languages without a future tense, like Chinese or Flemish, are better at saving money than future-tense language speakers."

Future saving?
http://www.npr.org/2014/04/04/295356139 … save-money
PDF
The Effect of Language on Economic Behavior: Evidence from Savings Rates, Health Behaviors, and Retirement Assets
https://www.anderson.ucla.edu/faculty/k … gPaper.pdf

Futurity in Chinese and English and Its Supposed Economic Consequences
http://sinoglot.com/2013/04/futurity-in … sequences/

Rewiring the Brain in Grief
https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog … n-in-grief
Emotional Intelligence by Daniel Goleman—Book Review
https://www.1and1life.com/reviews/emoti … ence-book/

Understanding the motivations behind spontaneous economic interaction among humans; a visually guided exploration of value creation
https://medium.com/@TheInnerSelf/the-su … 77893eb11f

A Sports Psychologist’s Attempt to Explain Shohei Ohtani
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tunSHOm3bU0
How (and Why) to Think that the Brain is Literally a Computer
https://philsci-archive.pitt.edu/21087/

How do vibrations in the air become music and emotion in your mind? Follow a sound signal as it travels through your ears, and up the different nuclei and pathways in your brain to become music. Watch How We Process Music in our Brains the Neuroscience for Musicians.
https://youtu.be/Y7tiIv_3yho

This website seen Russia as one of the languages of the future, I'm not so sure anymore with the political fallout from the invasion of Ukraine and the divide between East and West.

'
One claimed language changes ability to save money...therefore does the Russian language and culture itself make its leaders Tsarist or insane?

Soon you might have people claim the language makes you eat more and get fat?

Languages Of Future – Russian
https://thelanguagedoctors.org/languages-of-future/
With 150 million speakers Russian languages the official language of around 38 territories. Not only that more than 110 million people speak the Russian language as their second language.
'

other languages they mention

Spanish, Chinese – Mandarin,  Indo-Aryan Languages, Arab, Portuguese, French, English, German, Japanese

The Watts Connectedness Scale: a new scale for measuring a sense of connectedness to self, others, and world
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/35939083/

Artificially made language for human speakers that might one day bring to Mars?

Video of Esperanto speakers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIQyGettpTc
it even has a flag
https://www.bitchute.com/video/NhvZgCCLEtl8/
and an 'Anthem'?
https://rumble.com/vdsvd7-esperanto-ant … spero.html
poem written by Polish-Jewish doctor L. L. Zamenhof (1859–1917), the initiator of the Esperanto language. The song is often used as the anthem of Esperanto, and is now usually sung to a triumphal march composed by Félicien Menu de Ménil in 1909.

In Montreal, World Esperanto Congress showcases Indigenous languages
https://montrealgazette.com/news/local- … -languages

The Esperanto community has a "particular sensitivity" for linguistic and cultural rights, says local organizer Nicolas Viau.

Esperanto: Can the language of idealism face reality?
https://globalvoices.org/2022/08/23/esp … e-reality/

A brief history of Esperanto, the 135-year-old language of peace hated by Hitler and Stalin alike
https://www.pressenza.com/2022/08/a-bri … lin-alike/

Saluton! Who created the language "Esperanto" and why don't more of us speak it?
https://www.abc.net.au/radio/programs/n … -/14018212

Last edited by Mars_B4_Moon (2022-09-01 08:34:05)

#146 2022-10-03 08:58:20

Mars_B4_Moon

Esperanto and Languages of Internationalism in Revolutionary Russia

https://www.bloomsbury.com/uk/esperanto … 350245181/

'This is genius. Italian singer Adriano Celentano released a song in the 70s with nonsensical lyrics meant to sound like American English—to prove that Italians would just love any American song. And it was a hit.'

https://twitter.com/ThamKhaiMeng/status … 9756656640

Last edited by Mars_B4_Moon (2022-10-03 08:59:58)

#147 2022-10-24 18:32:17

Mars_B4_Moon

Scientists Find an Ancient Stellar Catalog Written by Hipparcus Hidden in a Medieval Tome
https://www.universetoday.com/158223/sc … eval-tome/
If you think writing paper is expensive these days, be glad you didn’t live in the middle ages. Back then, paper was as rare as hen’s teeth, so good luck finding some to write one. But if you happened to be a monk, chances are there were plenty of old books made of parchment. Many of them have useless stuff like old star catalogs, so why not just recycle the parchment for your new copy of religious literature?

This is basically how the Codex Climaci Rescriptus came about. Parchment is made from animal skin and processed into a thin, paper-like material. It’s laborious to make, but it can last for millennia under the right conditions. It can also be easily erased. Just scrape the old ink off with a sharp knife, and you are good to go. This kind of recycling was occasionally used throughout the early middle ages until paper production became common in the 1500s. As a result, we have a few books like the Codex Climaci Rescriptus with medieval texts overwritten on much older works. We have known about this kind of thing for more than a century. In many cases, you can even see hints of the older underlying text, but good luck reading it. That has changed thanks to multispectral imaging.

#148 2023-02-10 12:59:30

Mars_B4_Moon

The Difference Between Speaking and Thinking

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/ … ic/672902/

Board footer