New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2008-02-02 14:22:38

JoshNH4H
Website

Re: DELETED

I'm going to borrow this thread and put it to some use.  Go recycling

tongue  roll

to start, with a little joke, when we get to mars in 30 years or so, I can guarantee that there will be intelligent lifeforms.  the first person who looks in the mirror will see them (us)

My question is why are we looking for carbon based, water drinking life?  I think other types of life would be at least as viable.

-Josh

#2 2008-02-03 06:16:37

Terraformer
Website

Because Methane and Silicon (the other alternitive) aren't as effective as Water and Carbon for life. Also, where are you going to find them to gether?

"I'm gonna die surrounded by the biggest idiots in the galaxy." - If this forum was a Mars Colony

#3 2008-02-03 10:03:50

JoshNH4H
Website

I'm talking about radically different.

-Josh

#4 2008-02-03 11:40:14

Terraformer
Website

Oh, you mean things like electrical impulses in Gas clouds forming something that could be considered 'life' by the defination of any sentince must be alive.

That's the only radically diferent I can think of. There are only a few limited possiblities for material life.

"I'm gonna die surrounded by the biggest idiots in the galaxy." - If this forum was a Mars Colony

#5 2008-02-03 13:39:04

JoshNH4H
Website

For example, some sort of gaseous life in an atmosphere, or semisolid life on the surface of a star, or things nobody can imagine.  Most of exobiology seems to be focused on finding the most earthlike forms possible.  For all we know, the earth itself may be semialive.

-Josh

#6 2008-02-03 14:24:41

noosfractal
Website

My question is why are we looking for carbon based, water drinking life?

The problem is that this is the only example we have, and even if scientists privately allow their imaginations to run wild, if you are trying to convince Bureaucrat Alpha at the Committee for Spending Taxpayer's Money on Science that it is worth closely examining the gravitational resonances of the moons of Jupiter for self-replication and patterns of consciousness, you are going to lose out to someone who says "how 'bout we look for liquid water instead since all life we know of needs that?"

Fan of [url=http://www.red-oasis.com/]Red Oasis[/url]

Board footer