New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2007-10-29 18:04:09

bstvns139

Re: New ideas for rovers

Anyone got any ideas for new rovers and projects?

-"you watch the sunset, and I watch the night rise"

#2 2007-10-29 19:09:24

cIclops

yeah, how about a nano rover, lots of them can be launched on a small rocket and spread all over Mars.

[color=darkred]Let's go to Mars and far beyond -  triple NASA's budget ![/color] [url=irc://freenode#space]  #space channel !! [/url] [url=http://www.youtube.com/user/c1cl0ps]   - videos !!![/url]

#3 2007-10-30 05:22:21

Terraformer
Website

With todays tech nano rovers would be incredibly difficult to make. Maybe a  factory that isn't a rover but would churn out small rovers?

"I'm gonna die surrounded by the biggest idiots in the galaxy." - If this forum was a Mars Colony

#4 2007-10-30 15:09:13

cIclops

A nano rover factory would be more difficult to make than a nano rover until full nano assemblers have been invented. Best to make the nano rovers on Earth with all its resources and send them to Mars.

[color=darkred]Let's go to Mars and far beyond -  triple NASA's budget ![/color] [url=irc://freenode#space]  #space channel !! [/url] [url=http://www.youtube.com/user/c1cl0ps]   - videos !!![/url]

#5 2007-10-30 15:24:43

Terraformer
Website

Small rovers, not nano ones. Small as in the size of a cat, or something similar. If we could get it to build more factories we could begin the production of a colonies hab.

"I'm gonna die surrounded by the biggest idiots in the galaxy." - If this forum was a Mars Colony

#6 2007-10-30 19:59:23

bstvns139

What about producing a permanent rover station on mars to get more advanced data than the regular rovers and then also equip this station to build the mini rovers like you are suggesting.

-"you watch the sunset, and I watch the night rise"

#7 2007-10-31 04:34:26

Terraformer
Website

Like, sort of launch an automated factory/automining complex. Before that more rovers would have to be sent out to lay the solar cells or reactor but it would be very useful to have.

#8 2007-10-31 06:13:32

cIclops

Small rovers, not nano ones. Small as in the size of a cat, or something similar. If we could get it to build more factories we could begin the production of a colonies hab.

Oh much smaller than a cat, even smaller than a mouse! These rovers would be able to explore, analyze rocks and look for water and maybe life.

Board footer