New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2021-07-21 08:01:12

tahanson43206

Automobile Updates

For SpaceNut ... there was only one topic with "automobile" in the title, and that one was for a particular brand

This topic is offered for discussion of all brands, with technology as the requested focus, as compared to features or performance.

I'll start off with this snippet from Google ...

When will Subaru introduce a new all-electric SUV?

The new Subaru all-electric SUV is coming sometime in 2022 and is being developed with Toyota. Subaru President and CEO Tom Doll, said in an interview in April, “We will be introducing an (all-electric) SUV in a couple of years through our partnership with Toyota. I can’t really speak too much about the details about it but needless to say, it’s going to be a great electric vehicle for us and will be our first fully-electric vehicle.”

I note the decision on the part of management to partner with Toyota.

(th)

#2 2021-07-21 19:54:39

SpaceNut
Administrator

Re: Automobile Updates

Something that I am learning a bit more about for the imports are not just the needs of synthetic fluids but how proprietary the vehicle component and parts are in that many require no after market parts to be used in replacements as these sometimes will cause issues and problems.

#3 2021-07-21 22:01:50

GW Johnson
Website

What I have found is that the newer the model year,  the more likely an aftermarket part will not serve correctly.  I think that might be deliberate.  But the biggest effect is just poor quality control in aftermarket parts,  particularly those made in China.  Starters and alternators are particularly bad about being nonfunctional right out of the box. 

GW

GW Johnson
McGregor,  Texas

"There is nothing as expensive as a dead crew,  especially one dead from a bad management decision"

#4 2021-08-07 16:56:00

SpaceNut
Administrator

Still no fix as GM scrambles 'around the clock' to end Chevy Bolt battery fires

GM had first issued a recall on 68,000 of the 2017 through 2019 model year cars last November.

Seeing the burnt wreckage n you look at this you know why.

AAN2RRY.img?h=1148&w=799&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f

Batteries that are over charged will get hot if continued to charge plus break down internally shorting out and from the wall outlet it shows that a huge current was being requested by the batteries as they charged from the charger unit.

Seems that over current draw from the source was not in the design protection system and not a timer for how long to allow the charging either...

#5 2021-08-08 10:55:48

GW Johnson
Website

There really is quite a difference between shareholder value and technical excellence.  Just ask the new Boeing about that. 

Their new management located in Chicago,  far away from the engineering operations in Seattle and Wichita,  is quite proud of discarding technical excellence for shareholder value.  They have said so publicly.

This kind of management gave you these debacles:  B-737MAX unairworthiness,  777X unairworthiness,  and 787 construction flaws that threaten airworthiness.  And to my way of thinking,  the Starliner mess.

GW

GW Johnson
McGregor,  Texas

"There is nothing as expensive as a dead crew,  especially one dead from a bad management decision"

#6 2021-08-08 17:24:35

kbd512
Administrator

GW,

How many executives without engineering expertise would recognize technical excellence if they saw it, much less know what to do if the engineering department was producing designs that lacked technical excellence?

Elon Musk stated in his Starbase Interview that it has happened several times that some design element was included in a given vehicle design, despite the fact that nobody on the design team could articulate the reason why the part / widget / gadget existed to begin with.

Is it possible that some of these designs are now so complex that no single person can evaluate the merit or lack thereof of any specific portion of the overall design?

#7 2021-08-08 19:36:30

GW Johnson
Website

It is quite possible that many things have enough complexity that one human being can no longer adequately judge.  And in particular,  I most often found that corporate managers were incompetent to judge what engineering excellence was when they saw it.  That actually takes well-educated,  well-trained,  well-experienced engineers.  Newbies fresh out of school do not qualify as such.

However,  it is quite another thing when Boeing's corporate management is publicly proud of deleting the historic priority on engineering excellence,  in favor of shareholder value as their top priority.  Boeing corporate management did exactly that. That buzzword is usually associated with doing a bad engineering job in order to lower cost,  which in aviation costs lives.  And in Boeing's case,  I see no exception to that general conclusion.

GW

Last edited by GW Johnson (2021-08-08 19:39:45)

GW Johnson
McGregor,  Texas

#8 2021-08-08 19:46:17

kbd512
Administrator

GW,

In the business world, it's quite frequently the case that price sells.  That problem is largely customer-driven.  Absent prior knowledge, how do you convince the average consumer that being a little cheaper than an alternative frequently does not mean "better"?

Board footer