New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2021-01-18 17:54:19

louis

Musk now the richest individual on the planet

Did people catch the news report that Musk has now surpassed Bezos and is now the richest individual man the planet.

However you measure these things it's clear Musk (who once faced bankruptcy) has increased his wealth hugelymov4r the last few years
ears as,,in particular,  Tesla's fortunes have risen.

This can only be good for the Mars colonisation  project. I really don't think money is any longer a drag on the project now. If necessary Musk could stump up $20 billion. The only thing holding it back is rate of technology development and rocket build,  constrained by key factors such  as limited pool of highly skilled workers or limited facilities for the Starship programme. 

One to watch out for: radical Dems have always hated the space programme. Back in 69 they were whingeing that America should eliminate poverty before it stepped foot on the Moon. Now they will hate the fact that the Starship is powered by a fossil fuel.

Perhaps Musk should get his solar power factories to start producing methane from air and water so it is a non fossil fuel, carbon neutral energy source for the launches.

It might be relatively expensive now, but Musk has always been prepared to take the lead.

Let's Go to Mars...Google on: Fast Track to Mars blogspot.com

#2 2021-05-29 17:48:26

Mars_B4_Moon

Re: Musk now the richest individual on the planet

Musk is not the richest, not by far.

Unless he actually gets to Mars makes it his own planet and calls himself "imperator" big_smile
takes control of all the land and newspapers on Mars and then hides all his un- disclosed hidden bitcoins and bonds and gold silver on Martian regions.

The older elite others are an older odd bunch, they have real UN-disclosed wealth, they own most of the land here on Earth and they got hidden political power

I do not believe for one second that Musk is the richest, ok you might get guys like Bezos at Amazon or Bill Gates who make richest lists in magazines and mainstream economic websites. However what people forget is that there are older people who like to remain hidden, they survived hundreds of years by hiding their names. They now call themselves names like Windsor but maybe one time they had different names like House of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha and they all inter-mix and marry relate to the same corrupt bloodline in Bulgaria and Belgium.

These really really old dinosaur type royal families are around, they are elite generational people that had been good for tricks for years upon years, the old companies they have friends in tax evasion and criminality and avoid sunlight, they play political smoke and mirrors games, they once sold Tea and Opium, they own most of the land on the planet Earth and hide their true power and wealth and some have even done it for decades even centuries. Who am I talking about? Maybe I talk about people like the Queen of England she and her pedophile Prince Andrew blackmailed by pedophiles Epstein and Maxwell, Duke of York managed to get a story of human trafficking to an island buried for years. The Queen owns most of the land on the planet, you also have the corrupt pedo ridden the Vatican burying its criminal stories, other money laundering family like the European Jewish Rothschild banking Dynasty, the Mohammedan Wahhabi Sect King of Saudi Arabia that owns and runs a country like an islamist dictatorship, King of Morocco, the elite parasite class of Liechtenstein that would have been killed back in the day if Hitler or Stalin had decided to even fart in their direction, the Rockefeller’s another bunch of elites with hidden wealths from a line of snake oil salesmen, Dutch royal family might be small but it is one of the most expensive Welfare Benefit fraud dynasties to run in Europe and costs taxpayers approximately tens of millions to run a year they have other Dutch friends from Holland and merchants in Spain and areas of Netherlands who set up companies and would later poison Vietnamese and US Troops with Agent Orange...'Monsanto' in the current brand putting poison in the foods I believe. If they can't hide stuff in islands they have friends who built con artist ideas like TerraMar... and what of the Hollywood social media spy blackmail club, Peter Andreas Thiel confirmed that he had funded Hulk Hogan in the Bollea v. Gawker lawsuit because Gawker had previously outed him as gay ... before Trump got banned by the Facebooks and social medias there were other people warning about censorships and getting 'unpersoned' by Big Tech, Thiel a guy who collects as many dual citizenships as possible and proved New Zealand passports can be bought?

The Queen has hidden wealth, Rome has hidden wealth the elite Banker family have hidden wealth. Some of the interesting names in the little black book of Jeffrey Epstein...Royals, media elites of Hollywood, Business people, the World Leaders and Blackmail, these old family and banker dynasty got especially good at hiding their wealth in far away off shore islands, hide those bitcoins and bags of cash in Bahamas, Panama, and the Cayman Islands and many of the Caribbean tax havens, new media moguls and news proprietors. You also have an upcoming class Russian oligarch made rich and powerful during Bolsevik times and Communism, a new mafia buying up Soccer teams and Tv stations made more wealthy and powerful in aftermath of the dissolution of the Soviet Union. Asia has wealthy too, Asian nations also rich people in South Korea and China and Thailand and even more 'richest person' in Japan they are typically an old Warlord regions, old class of elite family with money, samurai lord family in Japan as rich as 'Zaibatsu' the Keiretsu system the old Asia Mafia gangs and Elites are in Asia they might own chunks of Hawaii now they own golf courses in Hawaii. but they typically max out at 10 Billion, the King in Thailand for example officially has 50 Billion on public display those invested by Crown Property Bureau, that's officially but ask any questions and be critical of the Royal family in Thailand and you go to jail. Asia elite are typically 10 Billion while Guys like Bezos and Bill Gates are in the hundreds of Billion.

As rich and controversial as Musk I do not believe he is anywhere near the top of the pile on that old Royal Bloodline, is not top of that club with that All Seeing See, with weird Rome Samurai Arabia symbols and meetings at Bilderberg and the Bohemian Grove in California and Babylon Pagan symbolism, they hide their wealth on off shore islands away from US Taxes, pump cash into Dubai and global Ponzi scheme pyramid ...Musk is way, way down the ranks in that weird Ladder those old war monger banker royal families have. Ted while not as Warmonger crazy as Murdoch he did however deliver a 'Turner Doomsday Video' for his tv stations.
Musk is different to the old blood, he interacts publicly, he is out there on the autistic spectrum, he takes risks in public, he gives Americans thousands of jobs, any day a car design might fail or a rocket explode and he is unique at least he has some kind of future vision and tried to build stuff for humanity.

Last edited by Mars_B4_Moon (2021-05-29 18:56:38)

#3 2021-05-29 23:43:35

Oldfart1939

Musk, Gates and Bezos own companies and stock. The Old Rich own COUNTRIES through owning the political class. The uber rich are Trillionaires, with a T, not  a mere B. I saw an article several years ago that estimated the worth of the Rothschild family at $500 Trillion.
Musk, Bezos, and Gates are all pikers by comparison.

#4 2021-05-30 07:11:12

louis

Here's a link:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/sergeikleb … b5f7907c14

I was just making the point really that he now has very deep pockets and can probably afford a few billion in space expenditure out of his own money.

#5 2021-05-30 08:00:21

tahanson43206

Louis, in an overflow of enthusiasm, it appears you may have created this topic in error.

Would you like to remove it and try again?

(th)

#6 2021-05-30 08:23:53

louis

How's about you read the link?

tahanson43206 wrote:

Louis, in an overflow of enthusiasm, it appears you may have created this topic in error.

Would you like to remove it and try again?

(th)

#7 2021-05-30 08:43:34

SpaceNut
Administrator

Musk deep pockets come form short versus long term gains..
His long term is the satelite internet but even that will falter as more providers were to come on line to provide the same product.
The Tesla EV's are already seeing issues with foreign competition as they products are to costly and not enough infrastructure has been created.
Starships coast to coast has started to get rivals in the gain so that may not come to be.
Starship for moon or eventually mars does have limits when space is still restrictive to an upper level of the most financially fit.
Bit coins are a fad that will die when it can not payout.
Jeff Bezo has his own problems for being a rich …. but thats for another topic.

#8 2021-05-30 10:13:10

Oldfart1939

A final comment here: I had the opportunity to visit the Kunsthistorisches Museum in Vienna, and the Naturhistorisches Museum across the plaza. This was only a partial revelation of the residual riches of the Habsburg Dynasty. I saw a few of the "collectibles" that had been acquired by the emperors and specifically Franz Josef, grandson of Maria Theresa. The natural history museum has everything from some Moon rocks through several of the largest gold nuggets ever found, weighing in at nearly 70 kg each. The art museum has one of the world's great collections of old master paintings and possibly the greatest item being THE  unique Benvenuto Cellini Salt Cellar (currently insured for $60 million). It's the sole art work in gold remaining from this medieval master goldsmith. It's sitting in a case in a room where not very many folks visit--particularly the average tourists from Asia. The Coin collection--which is only partially on display--is "only" the 5th largest and valuable in the world.

The point I'm making here is that these things were all the personal property of the Emperor of Austria-Hungary. I  sat in a small room on the sole stool and studied the 8 Rembrandts (average value of a Rembrandt is $20 million) hanging on the walls. Rooms filled with acres of Rubens paintings. I tried at the time to get an estimate of the true value represented by the contents of these two monumental buildings--both of which are themselves priceless.

The total value of everything is beyond belief. I know that the fortunes of Gates, Bezos, and Musk together couldn't buy what was there. Then there's the Queen of England--whose wealth is staggering. The treasures of the Vatican aren't known but are fabulous.

Last edited by Oldfart1939 (2021-05-30 10:33:59)

#9 2021-05-30 13:41:12

louis

The Queen's personal wealth isn't so big.  I seem to recall a figure of £300 million. People sometimes add in the value of the Crown Estates but she doesn't control that wealth any more than the Prime Minister owns 10 Downing Street. She couldn't decide tomorrow to put anything up for auction and pocket the proceeds.

Oldfart1939 wrote:

A final comment here: I had the opportunity to visit the Kunsthistorisches Museum in Vienna, and the Naturhistorisches Museum across the plaza. This was only a partial revelation of the residual riches of the Habsburg Dynasty. I saw a few of the "collectibles" that had been acquired by the emperors and specifically Franz Josef, grandson of Maria Theresa. The natural history museum has everything from some Moon rocks through several of the largest gold nuggets ever found, weighing in at nearly 70 kg each. The art museum has one of the world's great collections of old master paintings and possibly the greatest item being THE  unique Benvenuto Cellini Salt Cellar (currently insured for $60 million). It's the sole art work in gold remaining from this medieval master goldsmith. It's sitting in a case in a room where not very many folks visit--particularly the average tourists from Asia. The Coin collection--which is only partially on display--is "only" the 5th largest and valuable in the world.

The point I'm making here is that these things were all the personal property of the Emperor of Austria-Hungary. I  sat in a small room on the sole stool and studied the 8 Rembrandts (average value of a Rembrandt is $20 million) hanging on the walls. Rooms filled with acres of Rubens paintings. I tried at the time to get an estimate of the true value represented by the contents of these two monumental buildings--both of which are themselves priceless.

The total value of everything is beyond belief. I know that the fortunes of Gates, Bezos, and Musk together couldn't buy what was there. Then there's the Queen of England--whose wealth is staggering. The treasures of the Vatican aren't known but are fabulous.

#10 2021-10-28 10:08:27

Mars_B4_Moon

Elon Musk is talking about the debt and over spending in the US gov, he warns the little family guys are going to get screwed, warns of rising U.S. federal debt, says the general US public will have to pay for Biden's $3.5 trillion spending bill and not the billionaires.

They want Musk to feed the world now?
2% of Elon Musk's wealth could solve world hunger, says director of UN food scarcity organization
https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/26/economy/ … index.html

#11 2021-10-28 10:22:47

tahanson43206

For Mars_B4_Moon re #10

No, the request is for help with a tiny fraction of the population who are on the verge of starvation or actually starving.

However, to your point .... I think most folks (yourself excepted of course) do not understand paper wealth.  Paper wealth is the "promise" of what stock might be worth if there were anyone to buy it.  The fact is, most of the stock created by the ultra-billionaires could not be sold, because there are not enough buyers.

Anyone can create paper wealth, and we have a number of examples right now on Earth.

The ** real ** wealth (as Adam Smith said so long ago) is the work force these folks have created, which is pouring their lives into production of useful products and services.

If anyone were to seek to obtain 2% of that paper wealth, I am confident the stock sale would fall short.

It is better (in my opinion) to celebrate the achievement of a few individuals who have proven able to enlist and harness human talent for productive activities.

Update at 13:13 local time:
https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/elon … 26203.html

Fortune
Elon Musk to Congress: Drop the billionaire tax. It will only mess with ‘my plan to get humanity to Mars’
Sophie Mellor
Thu, October 28, 2021, 6:50 AM·3 min read

This article showed up in the news feed after Mars_B4_Moon posted about the Musk fortune.

It provides a deeper perspective on the meaning of paper wealth vs real wealth than I was able to do.

In addition, it mentions Senator Manchin's opposition to the proposal, which seems resilient.

(th)

#12 2021-10-28 17:55:30

SpaceNut
Administrator

The opposition is fighting amongst their own party and not just the republicans.
The bill finally got through the senate but very compromised and at a lots smaller level but when called up in the house its being stopped by the liberals....

#13 2021-10-28 18:35:42

louis

The clue is in the title "family". This is Musk's personal wealth being referenced.

Oldfart1939 wrote:

Musk, Gates and Bezos own companies and stock. The Old Rich own COUNTRIES through owning the political class. The uber rich are Trillionaires, with a T, not  a mere B. I saw an article several years ago that estimated the worth of the Rothschild family at $500 Trillion.
Musk, Bezos, and Gates are all pikers by comparison.

#14 2021-10-28 21:44:44

kbd512
Administrator

Holy cow.  I thought this thread was going to be about Musk's ability to use his personal wealth to colonize Mars.  Wrong.

#15 2021-10-29 12:05:05

Oldfart1939

I recently read a book that's biographical about Elon Musk. He had as many struggles to get where he is as anyone on this planet. It's HIS wealth, and not some petty tyrannical bureaucrat to decide how and where he spends his fortune. The man did lots of dangerous and shitty jobs while living in Canada, and through his own fantastic talent, has risen to his present wealth status.

That's why I'm as supportive as I am of his efforts at SpaceX. He's possibly off scale, in regards to his intellect.

Last edited by Oldfart1939 (2021-10-29 12:07:12)

#16 2021-10-29 12:42:20

kbd512
Administrator

Oldfart1939,

That post deserves two thumbs-up.

Elon Musk didn't inherit a bunch of money from mommy and daddy.  He made every cent he has.  He's sold pretty much everything he owns, he lives in an apartment, and he spends every waking hour of every day trying to build a better future for humanity.  Our government should eff right off, leave him the hell alone, and stay the hell out of his way so there's at least a chance of securing humanity's future for all time.

True architects are few and far between.  Humanity is blessed with a mere handful of these men and women per generation.  Wasting their time and talent on our government's trivial pursuits is a travesty.

#17 2021-10-29 14:52:41

GW Johnson
Website

I quite agree with OF1939 and Kbd512. 

Just because Musk got filthy rich doesn't make him a target for confiscation.  He got filthy rich rather honestly (dishonestly would be a different matter).  And,  further,  he is using those riches to accomplish things that will eventually benefit all of us.

Whether or not some choose to believe it,  space efforts have always spun off good things for society,  like a hen laying eggs;  there is absolutely no reason to think that will change.  It's just that what will be spun off is not predictable.  Just about all have been surprises.  This has been going on since about 1953-ish.  The first was real Pyrex glassware.  That came from developing warhead heat shields.

Bottom line:  Musk got rich honestly,  and is doing us good with it.  What is wrong with that? 

GW

GW Johnson
McGregor,  Texas

"There is nothing as expensive as a dead crew,  especially one dead from a bad management decision"

#18 2021-10-29 19:10:14

louis

It's not a lie he's the richest person on the planet - though no doubt there are various ways of measuring these things:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl … urges.html

#19 2021-10-29 19:16:29

louis

Quite!

The answer is yes - Musk could colonise Mars off the back of his own wealth, no problem as far as money goes.  But there are some problems no money can solve. There are only a limited number of people on the planet who have the skill and ingenuity to deal with all the problems of rocketry and settlement that stand in the way of Mars colonisation and similar for a wide range of engineers and technicians needed for the prokect.  Paying all these people twice the going rate for the skills won't mend the skills shortage. I feel confident Musk has got as much talent concentrated at Boca Chica as it is feasible to do.

kbd512 wrote:

Holy cow.  I thought this thread was going to be about Musk's ability to use his personal wealth to colonize Mars.  Wrong.

#20 2022-04-16 09:05:19

Mars_B4_Moon

Good news for Ukraine?

Ukraine’s richest man Rinat Akhmetov promises post-war rebuild
https://nypost.com/2022/04/16/ukraines- … r-revival/

and...More undisclosed old money wealth getting exposed to the public

Musk's wealth a small dot compared to the mohammedan islamists that run the House of Saud?

Elon Musk fires back 2 questions at smug Twitter shareholder, Saudi Prince who rejected his offer
https://www.bizpacreview.com/2022/04/15 … r-1226072/

louis wrote:

It's not a lie he's the richest person on the planet

it's false

there are unofficial rich lists, people who own lands, governments and they have centralized control but their propaganda and media and temples rule minds of entire nations

the media would like you to believe he's the richest while covering up those 28 pages and ignoring how the Saudis are bombing Yemen to Dust and creating mass famine.

Also related to Lebanon's first prime minister, owned the Bush crime family, Al-Waleed donated $500,000 to help fund the George Herbert Walker Bush Scholarship, Al-Waleed gave £ 16 million British pounds to Edinburgh University to fund the and support islamism and the 1400 yr old pedophile terrorist Moongod Al-Lah "in the contemporary world." he owns Citigroup is the second-largest voting shareholder in 21st Century Fox,  owns a chunk of  Syracuse University NYC, Four Seasons Hotels & Resorts, Saudi American Bank, in the world there are big ex-Communist Oligarchy have power but the Saudi is another bigger player, some say he's got fingers inside the Fed with other European Royals and other elites and Jewish banker Families, sometimes he says slightly Western stuff so the radio spooks and clowns then go on Western media and say he is considered a proponent for emancipation in the islamo world,  his friends gave money to ISIS binLaden type people, he wears a weird Masonic Royal type badge or award called  National Order of Cedar of Lebanon, also owns a chunk of AOL Time Warner, he is just one Prince of many and his name Al Waleed bin Talalden Al-Saud?

kbd512 wrote:

Musk hasn't landed anything on Mars... yet... he is however sending islam to the Lunar Surface,  Space X sending the islamist monarch theocratic Arab Emirates Rover to the Moon. Is it wise to export this religion to space? I think not. However When it comes to real hidden wealth and hazards of influence the Saudi can greatly outspend Elon Musk, even the lesser Emiratis can probably out spend him by hundreds of billions, like the Royal Banker type families of Europe they are also the old money.

Last edited by Mars_B4_Moon (2022-04-16 15:32:06)

#21 2022-08-27 14:23:47

Mars_B4_Moon

Ukrainian woman posing as Rothschild family member infiltrated Mar-a-Lago: report
https://nypost.com/2022/08/26/ukrainian … ar-a-lago/

A Ukrainian woman posing as a member of the Rothschild banking family has been outed as a fraud after she allegedly infiltrated former President Donald Trump’s Mar-a-Lago estate, according to reports.

Inna Yashchyshyn, 33, lied to ritzy resort members that she was the heiress to the reputed family’s mass fortune, Anna de Rothschild, according to a probe by the Federal Bureau of Investigation.

She appeared at numerous Mar-a-Lago functions mingling with the likes of Trump, South Carolina Senator Lindsey Graham and others while she held the position as president of United Hearts of Mercy, founded by Florida-based Russian oligarch and former business partner Valery Tarasenko in Canada in 2015, according to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

#22 2023-05-27 19:33:53

Mars_B4_Moon

The mix of heritage the religion side and wealth

Eduard Habsburg, Hungary’s Man at the Vatican, Talks Pope Francis, Cheesesteak and Family Secrets
https://www.ncregister.com/cna/eduard-h … ly-secrets
His new book distills centuries of Habsburg history into a slim volume of entertaining anecdotes, including family members who were exemplars of faith like Blessed Emperor Karl and Venerable Archduchess Magdalena.

A member of the Hungarian branch of the family, Habsburg grew up mostly in Germany, living the life of a member of an exiled royal family. 

“As I say in my book, as a Habsburg, you always are between several countries. You never belong to one. So I was a bit German, but I was also a bit Austrian. I was very much Hungarian. I was also a bit Italian because my mother’s Italian and I lived in Italy for a while,” he told CNA.

While pursuing a career as a screenwriter — he wrote television and movie scripts, including the film Mary, Queen of Scots — he was hired as communications director for a Catholic bishop in Vienna, Austria. There, he realized the importance of social media to a good communications strategy — and that he was quite good at it.

“I thought, ‘I have to find out what people think about the Catholic Church. I have to find out which journalists regularly write about Catholic topics, about sexuality, about bioethics.’ So I went on Twitter, and I began following them, interacting with them, and then meeting every single one of them for coffee and just getting to know them,” he said.

His social-media presence, as well as his family name, his facility with languages (he knows seven), and his experience working with the Catholic Church attracted the attention of the Hungarian government, who talked him into applying for the job.

He then spent a year studying Hungarian “like a maniac” while continuing to work for the Austrian bishop and hosting a TV show about castles. Once his appointment was approved by the Hungarian Parliament, he was off to Rome to embark on what he calls “the greatest time in my life.”

Board footer