New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2004-01-23 15:08:20

Palomar

Re: Hindenburg

*I'm bringing dicktice's comments over from the "Solar Powered Ion Propulsion" thread in the Human Missions folder:

"Cindy: We need nostalgia like yours. The Hindenburg was a beaut as well. But, while cutting-edge then--with cattle guts for making the hydrogen gas bags, nitrate-doped cotton covering, non-vectoring or feathering propellers, no reversing tail prop for docking, vented lift-gas to sink, released water-ballast to rise. . . . Its time had come and gone--just like the Saturn-5 launching rocket-stack..."

*Hi dicktice.  smile 

I've seen some video clips and information about the Hindenburg, years ago.  Very difficult to watch.  sad  I didn't know they used cattle guts for the hydrogen bags.  Hmmmm.

Why wasn't the Hindenburg considered more of a very real danger, with all that hydrogen "on board"?  It reminds me of the Apollo 1 fire and how the hatch could only open inwardly, being held closed by latches which had to be operated by ratchets (!).  Seems like disasters in the making...scientists and engineers should know better!   

[http://www.vidicom-tv.com/tohiburg.htm]"Titanic of the Sky"

Do you remember the Hindenburg disaster?

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#2 2004-01-23 16:38:04

Cobra Commander

Actually, the danger posed by the hydrogen has been vastly over-rated. Hydrogen requires Oxygen to explode, the gas "cells" of Zeppelins were sealed and filled only with Hydrogen, thus there was no real danger. The major problem with Hindenburg was not the Hydrogen but the aluminum-impregnated coating on its surface. This caused the brillaint flames that witnesses reported, Hydrogen would not have. The Hydrogen didn't ignite until well after the initial fire started.

Check out the footage sometime, it's clear if you know what to look for. First off, the Hindenburg continued to float even as the gas keeping it aloft had supposededly exploded. When it finally hits the ground it bounced? The skeletal framework would not have been able to withstand the impact let alone bounce if the gas cells were not intact. Finally, the cells melted and released the Hydrogen, which ignited as it mixed with Oxygen on its way up.

For comparison, during WW1 germany used Zeppelin bombers. Interceptor aircraft firing incendiary rounds into their gas bags had little effect, unless they first perforated the airship and allowed air to mix with the hydrogen, taking several minutes. Only then would they catch fire and crash after a strafing run.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

#3 2004-01-23 16:59:43

clark

Information comes from the weirdest places.

#4 2004-01-24 01:46:38

Shaun Barrett

So hydrogen should be perfectly safe for dirigibles on Mars? Or did somebody suggest hydrogen might burn in CO2? (I never thought this likely, but ... )
                                       ???

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping Up and Down.   - Rita Rudner

#5 2004-01-24 11:05:08

dicktice

Cindy: The material is called "goldbeaters skin" and was (is?) used to make gold leaf. None of our present plastic materials capable of containing hydorgen or helium were known, and the U.S. had the world's supply of helium (I remember it said) so Germany had to use hydrogen for the lift-gas in the Hindenburg, as usual (the Graf Zeppelin did very well on hydrogen throughout its impressive lifetime, being broken up only after Hindenburg was no more). The Zeppelin Company is doing very impressive work on their newest line of airships, by the way, using a whole new approach to the internal rigid structure, modern materials of course, vectoring and feathering propellers (two on the tail!), Y-tailfins, non-venting helium . . . everything they would have done, if the various technologies available now, had been back in the 1920's. I say: ditto--for the next generation rocket launching system to take the place of the Saturn-5. All you have to do, is let the engineers (those paragons of the human race!) get on with it!

#6 2004-01-26 17:14:07

Palomar

Actually, the danger posed by the hydrogen has been vastly over-rated. Hydrogen requires Oxygen to explode, the gas "cells" of Zeppelins were sealed and filled only with Hydrogen, thus there was no real danger. The major problem with Hindenburg was not the Hydrogen but the aluminum-impregnated coating on its surface. This caused the brillaint flames that witnesses reported, Hydrogen would not have. The Hydrogen didn't ignite until well after the initial fire started.

Check out the footage sometime, it's clear if you know what to look for. First off, the Hindenburg continued to float even as the gas keeping it aloft had supposededly exploded. When it finally hits the ground it bounced? The skeletal framework would not have been able to withstand the impact let alone bounce if the gas cells were not intact. Finally, the cells melted and released the Hydrogen, which ignited as it mixed with Oxygen on its way up.

*Hmmmmm.  Yes, now that you mention it, I do seem to recall what you're referring to, Cobra Commander.  I haven't seen the footage for years now, but have at least twice (I kind of freaked out the first time, when I thought it was just stationary [tethered] and UNmanned when it somehow caught fire.  Then I was told there were people inside...egad; yep, I'm super-squeamish about stuff like that ::shiver::). 

Maybe it was the fury of the fire itself which kept the Hindenburg afloat?  Since it was lightweight, perhaps like a hot air balloon (yeah, I know...hot air balloons which might catch fire don't keep floating).

Very tragic thing, horrible.

Dicktice wrote:  The Zeppelin Company is doing very impressive work on their newest line of airships, by the way, using a whole new approach to the internal rigid structure, modern materials of course, vectoring and feathering propellers (two on the tail!), Y-tailfins, non-venting helium . . . everything they would have done, if the various technologies available now, had been back in the 1920's. I say: ditto--for the next generation rocket launching system to take the place of the Saturn-5. All you have to do, is let the engineers (those paragons of the human race!) get on with it!

*Yes, agreed.  smile  I'm not sure engineers *are* the paragons of the human race, however...I hear them getting cursed a lot.  :laugh:  (just kidding)

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#7 2004-01-26 18:16:20

dicktice

Watch it, doll. Us injineers've got feelin's, an' long memories--know what I mean?

Board footer