New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: This forum is accepting new registrations by emailing newmarsmember * gmail.com become a registered member. Read the Recruiting expertise for NewMars Forum topic in Meta New Mars for other information for this process.

#2051 2022-03-12 14:23:41

SpaceNut
Administrator

Re: Housekeeping

Sounds good for the older topics that seem to have the most issues due to forums software changes and hopefully it will get sum more clean runs as we get closer to 2005 and onward..

#2052 2022-03-12 18:37:51

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #2051

Thanks for noting progress to date!

Just now i tested a new updated script ... this one compares the data transmitted over the serial line, from WBA to the browser.  It was 27043 that brought the need for this to my attention.

The test was done with 30601, which is a short little post .. the test succeeded, in the sense that it did not fail.

That does NOT mean the script did what is is supposed to do.  It simply means that the code did not cause a failure.

We may have to run for a while before the new verification procedure detects a problem.

After all, it took 27043 "tests" to reveal the problem.

On the other hand, we still have 77,000  - 30000 posts to go ... there is plenty of room for a problem to show up.

I was ** really ** happy about how well our joint venture with North Houston NSS turned out.

RobertDyck put on what I thought was a first rate presentation, and he got some really intense questions.

I held my breath when one gent opened his mike to ask questions, but it seemed to me that RobertDyck handled the challenge reasonably well.  The gent is a retired NASA project manager.

I'll be trying to encourage RobertDyck to provide the references that underlie his assertion that 3 RPM is acceptable to humans.  I am not aware of research that supports his confidence, but that doesn't mean much.  Hopefully the references will not be hard to find, and Robertdyck can add references to his presentation.

The audiences are going to get tougher from here, if he keeps his momentum.

I will now be putting in a request to have his talk approved for the national event.

It appears his first request was declined, but he did not have a track record.  Now he does.

(th)

#2053 2022-03-12 18:45:20

SpaceNut
Administrator

We have the points on the curve for gravity as micro gravity and 1 G with no real data other than spin data for how well we can tolerate it.
That was the total point of the ISS station module which we still are wishing for.

#2054 2022-03-13 06:49:30

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut .... thanks for the ** very ** interesting (and timely) link to the work on a space station that includes radiation protection in the outer wall.

The Large Ship is going to need dynamic radiation protection, since the mass is limited, which would not be the case for the permanent space station.

This post is reserved for updates on the Post Repair initiative.  The Trail Breaker is running now, using the new feature to check the data passed through the serial connection from WBA to the browser.  So far performance seems to be nominal.  The new check feature takes only microseconds to confirm that the the transferred data matches the source data, before it submits the post to FluxBB.

The Trail Breaker finished 26 posts using the new verify data transfer procedure, and balked on a long post.

I copied the edited text and pasted it manually, and the post looks good.

However, the fact that this happened at all is a confirmation that the validation procedure is needed.

Resuming at 30628

Halt at 30655 ... I manually posted the edited text.

OK ... I'm going to have to change the command to perform skip instead of halt ...

I'm also facing up to the need to revise my plans for review of the first 30,000 posts ...

This discovery (dropped characters during serial line transfer) means that this would have been happening all along, but there was no provision to detect it.  Post 27043 brought the problem to light, but it had  been going on all along.

Fortunately, all the logs have been preserved, but it will take quite a bit of programming to prepare all those logs for a validation with compare operation ...

If realized, the program would compare the edit output saved in the log file with the actual text in the MySQL database, as displayed by FluxBB upon request.

In the mean time, I'll resume the Trail Breaker at 30656 ...

The Trail Breaker just finished a run to 30900

There were a number of halts, so i modified the program to skip when the text delivered to the browser Edit window does not match the text that was sent via the serial line.

The halt situations were all resolved by doing manual edit and submits.

There are four skips to examine in the finish section.

Skip report:
Text received does not match sent. Skipping to Next Item
Time Out! Skip Requested! Skipping to Next
Completed Sequence for ID: 30826 - corrected
Completed Sequence for ID: 30829 corrected
Completed Sequence for ID: 30880 - corrected
Delay for long paste: 1 seconds
Completed Sequence for ID: 30899 - corrected

(th)

#2055 2022-03-13 12:47:21

SpaceNut
Administrator

I figure that if we used it more than 1 mars cycle that the intent is to make it permanent.

#2056 2022-03-13 21:04:34

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re Post Repair ....

The good news is the new verify feature of WBA appears to be working properly. 

The log entries are shown in Post #2054, at the bottom.

I suspect that what may be happening is that a special character may not travel through the serial pipe.

I'll investigate that possibility tomorrow.

In any case, the new feature seems able to prevent a re-occurrence of the Post #27043 fiasco.

The bad news is ... I'm going to need to think about how to compare the posts that ended up in the FluxBB archive, with the edited text that was supposed to have been delivered via the serial line.

Today I made two CD's of the entire set of logs to date ... the repository totals to 430 mb ... I made a backup copy of the CD, just to be on the safe side.

My (tentative) plan is to (try to) develop a program capable of collecting all those Edit outputs for all 30,000 posts, in order to be able to compare them.

If the problem turns out to be a special character that isn't passed through the serial connection, then perhaps most of the posts can be left alone.

I'll look at that tomorrow.

Still glowing from the success of the Zoom merger this evening!

(th)

#2057 2022-03-14 07:18:29

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re Post Repair Initiative ...

1) The browser running on the laptop is subject to F11 failure
When F11 sets the browser to full screen, touching F11 to restore "normal" display does not (apparently) work perfectly.
WBA depends upon tabs for some movements between fields, and F11 activity (apparently) throws off the alignment of fields
Accordingly, the Inspector for yesterday had to be re-run today, because the posts were not brought down for analysis

2) I have confirmed the two CD copies of the entire collection of Post Repair logs are readable and available for projects
Today, I'm planning to use a byte compare utility to find out exactly what is happening when the serial line occasionally fails in delivery
There is a point of clarification ... There is a service running to provide the serial port intake to browser screen update.
That service ** may ** refuse to deliver certain bit strings.  I'll be looking for that possibility.

3) I'm starting to think about what it will take to set up a process to compare the posts in the FluxBB database to the output of the edit operations on the Dell.
The need (that I see) is to compare all 30,000 posts processed to date to the outputs of the edits as saved in the logs, because a small percentage were (probably) transmitted from WBA to the browser with drops or out-of-order situations.

The version of WBA currently running checks to be sure the contents of the browser window match the output of the edit, so the problem will not repeat.

The time frame to get this working is tight.  I'd like to have the updated Inspector running by April 1st, in order to set up runs of 1000 posts per day for 30 days.

Other subjects:

I'm hoping to build momentum in Houston to welcome Dr. Johnson, and to increase the audience for his follow up to the successful Large Ship presentation. I'll be working with members of the Houston NSS chapter to try to make that happen.

Thanks again for setting up the merger of the two Zooms yesterday!  from my point of view, that was a resounding success.  All four of the NewMars folks accepted the invitation to join the Seattle chapter meeting, and it was ** really ** interesting (to me for sure) to attend the meeting.  Apparently this chapter is organized in association with the Museum of Flight.

Various members "spoke" via Zoom, and I tried to capture some of the flavor of the discussion with posts to NewMars.

I'm hoping we can encourage other chapters to meet NewMars, although there may be a limit to how much time any of us can spare.

A rerun of yesterday's Inspector is in progress now ... the Trail Breaker for today will try for 31,200.

(th)

#2058 2022-03-14 08:23:31

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re Post Repair Initiative, and specifically problems with flow of data from WBA to browser via serial line ...

A preliminary investigation reveals that an apostrophe character present in FluxBB posts is not recognized by the service program that moves data from WBA to the browser Edit window by serial line.

In the display by the diff program running in a terminal window in Linux, the apostrophe shows up as a tiny clock icon, for data received by the browser.

The corresponding character in the Edit window is a question mark.

Investigation continues.

Update after looking at the original log display... The apostrophe does appear to be the issue. Fortunately not a lot of posters used it, and if that is the only issue to deal with I'd be relieved.  The work of correcting the problem remains, but at least this ONE failure mode is addressable.

Post 30642 by clark has a story about "Sancho Diego" on Mars. The apostrophe's show up correctly because I manually restored the text from the Edit window.

Looking ahead, a correction of any posts with this problem would depend upon the discovery of the Edit window in the log file for each such post.

The total number of bytes would be the same before and after replacement.  My guess is that only one bit is involved, and it may well be the high order bit.

On the ** other ** hand, the is a form of ASCII called unicode, and since it uses two bytes per character, more than one bit may be involved.

However (come to think of it) the damage may occur when the service program drops a bit in one (or both) of the unicode bytes.

The service program I am using was (probably) written well before unicode was invented.

Update at 11 AM local time ... the mystery deepens ...

Hex Dump reveals that the apostrophe is not making the passage safely ...

00000280  20 53 61 6e 63 68 6f 92  73 20 52 65 64 20 47 6f  | Sancho.s Red Go
                    sp S   a   n    c    h  o         s   sp R   e  d   sp  G o
above is from the Edit window

00000270  68 6f 3f 73 20 52 65 64  20 47 6f 6c 64 20 68 61  |ho?s Red Gold ha|
                      h  o     s    sp R   e  d     sp G  o  l  d      sp h  a
above is from the Sent window

The byte in the Edit window is 92

The byte in the Sent window is 3f

1001 0010 is the byte in the Edit window

0011 1100 is the byte in the Sent Window

The only clue I can see is the presence of the high order bit in the version in the Edit window

(th)

#2059 2022-03-14 09:11:08

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re Post Repair Initiative..

The Inspector just finished ... it found one post in need of attention (30657)

OK ... makes sense ... the difference turned out to be a Smiley character ...

So apostrophe and Smiley character may not have survived the passage.

The re-scan would seem to be necessary.

In the mean time, the original posts are readable, if these are the only problems.

Later, at 13:25 local time, I'm back to jot down some puzzling observations and questions I have about discovery of the character alterations just reported.

When I manually copy text from the source document using a mouse, and manually paste the copy into the browser window, characters are preserved.

When WBA sends a paste command, it sends that command through the serial line, after tabbing to the browser window and clearing the window with Control A.

Under ** those ** circumstances, data is altered.  It seems reasonable to suppose the data flows through the serial line.

I'm not clear on why that happens (assuming it does, which seems likely, since data alteration occurs).

In other words, if I tell WBA to use the mouse to point to the browser window, and click paste there, how will the data flow?

It ** should ** flow directly from the clipboard to the browser, but that does NOT seem to be happening with the paste command entered after tabbing.

This application is attempting to communicate between two independent processes running on the same machine.

Clearly I don't understand how the data is flowing.

I ** know ** that the commands are flowing through the serial port, but why would data take the same path?

It might be possible to use an RS232 tracker to confirm that data is flowing through the serial line.

Hindsight is 20-20, for sure!  I trusted the serial line data pathway, and obviously that trust was misplaced.

Again, in hindsight .... I ** could ** have run a simple test to discover the problems that have shown up.

The objection to ** that ** line of argument is that I ** did ** run a SIMPLE test, and it showed standard ASCII is passed without alteration.

The problems that are showing up are due to the presence of extended ASCII characters in the mix.

The inter-process communications pathway I am using was written long before extended ASCII, let alone Unicode were invented.

Well, now (we) know (I say (we) on the assumption that someone on Earth sees this portmortem.)

Because this is the Housekeeping topic, chances of ** that ** are slim.

(th)

#2060 2022-03-14 12:53:31

tahanson43206

This post is reserved for today's runs to 31200 ...

The Trail Breaker just finished with a Green screen

Completed Sequence for ID: 31200

Total Command Lines found: 50
Total input Lines in script: 165

Number of ID's processed: 300

Starting Number: 30901

Last Number of Run: 31200

Summary for Web Automation Report for 03-14-2022 at 14:52:14
Average time of Loop from Main form: 00:00:37
12 Skip Exceptions were recorded.

Total time of Processing: 03:06:26

Skips report

Skip details:
Delay for long paste: 2 seconds
Completed Sequence for ID: 30902
Completed Sequence for ID: 30907
Delay for long paste: 15 seconds
Completed Sequence for ID: 30936
Completed Sequence for ID: 30957
Delay for long paste: 5 seconds
Completed Sequence for ID: 30960
Delay for long paste: 6 seconds
Completed Sequence for ID: 30982
Delay for long paste: 3 seconds
Completed Sequence for ID: 30986
Completed Sequence for ID: 30992
Completed Sequence for ID: 31107
Completed Sequence for ID: 31116
Completed Sequence for ID: 31123
Completed Sequence for ID: 31199

All 12 items were manually updated.  FluxBB accepted them all.

These were mouse pasted. I don't see why that would make a difference.

Today's Inspector will review the entire set of 300 posts.  I'm not expecting any problems.

There were no flaws discovered:

Completed Sequence for ID: 31200

Total Command Lines found: 31
Total input Lines in script: 151

Starting Number: 30901

Last Number of Run: 31200

Summary for Web Automation Report for 03-14-2022 at 17:34:16
Average time of Loop from Main form: 00:00:22

Total time of Processing: 01:49:08

(th)

#2061 2022-03-14 13:20:02

tahanson43206

In case anyone is interested, here is log for Post #30982

Text to Delete Not found: <url>
Edit completed for: </url> Count deleted: 4
Edit for: </url> Length before edit: 3366 Length after edit: 3354
Edit completed for: url= Count deleted: 4
Edit for: url= Length before edit: 3354 Length after edit: 3346
Edit completed for: color=# Count deleted: 1
Edit for: color=# Length before edit: 3346 Length after edit: 3323
Text to Delete Not found: color=
Edit completed for: /color: Count deleted: 1
Edit for: /color: Length before edit: 3323 Length after edit: 3307
Text to Delete Not found: /color
Edit completed for: :post_uid Count deleted: 5
Edit for: :post_uid Length before edit: 3307 Length after edit: 3257
Edit completed for: <> Count deleted: 3
Edit for: <> Length before edit: 3257 Length after edit: 3253

The brackets are replaced with < >

(th)

#2062 2022-03-14 17:27:07

SpaceNut
Administrator

You have been quite busy with the trouble shooting of erred posts and solving to how they should look like when done.
Seems that the fancier the post was the more problems they contain.

#2063 2022-03-14 17:54:59

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #2062

Thanks for keeping an eye on the project!  You've got your hands full, with so many members adding new posts in a variety of flavors.

Just FYI ... work is already underway at Houston to prepare for Dr. Johnson's personal visit.  I'm hoping we can develop some publicity but first things first ... they've asked for help finding the files GW Johnson has made available.  I sent a direct link today, along with a guide to how to use the Search window.

We have to do the best we can with the tools we have, and part of the process is training/experimentation/learning ....

Not everyone is up for that ...

(th)

#2064 2022-03-15 07:49:30

tahanson43206

Today's Trail Breaker will try for 31500, and the Inspector will check the work.

In beginning the process of developing a capability of checking all 30,000 earlier posts for the byte transfer error, I made a file of the names of the logs that contain the Edit output data to be compared to FluxBB posts.  There's a lot of work ahead.

Meanwhile, the Trail Breaker will start work shortly.

Update at 12:41 local time ...

The Trail Breaker is (about) 40 minutes away from finish ...

Meanwhile, work on a new script (I'm thinking of calling this one The Auditor) is underway.

I am working on a list of log files collected from the Dell laptop, over the period from October of 2021 through March of 2022.

The logs appear to cover the range of interest, from 1-30000.

The tool in use at the moment is a spreadsheet, to collect the file names from the raw text dump.

I'm still unsure of how to approach the development of The Auditor scrip.  There will certainly need to be a new command to be added to WBA, as well as changes to the existing Inspector script to accommodate it.

The goal here (I remind myself) is to report any mis-matches between data stored in the NewMars MySQL data base and the output of the Edit function performed during the bandits cleanup.

The Auditor will perform NO updates ... it appears that manual data transfer is required to correct any situations that are discovered.

Because the Trail Breaker is now performing self-audit, there should be no further occurrences of this particular problem.

The goal is to have The Auditor ready for production by April 1st, in order to process 1000 posts per day for 30 days.

Update at 13:30 local time ... Trail Breaker just ended with a Green screen ... I'm looking forward to seeing the skip count ... Anything less than the high water mark of 12 would be fine with me!

Completed Sequence for ID: 31500

Starting Number: 31201

Last Number of Run: 31500

Summary for Web Automation Report for 03-15-2022 at 13:32:32
Average time of Loop from Main form: 00:00:39
11 Skip Exceptions were recorded.

Total time of Processing: 03:15:13

Skip Report:
Completed Sequence for ID: 31247
Completed Sequence for ID: 31254
Completed Sequence for ID: 31289
Completed Sequence for ID: 31308
Completed Sequence for ID: 31324
Completed Sequence for ID: 31355
Delay for long paste: 4 seconds
Completed Sequence for ID: 31370
Completed Sequence for ID: 31388
Completed Sequence for ID: 31396
Completed Sequence for ID: 31413
Completed Sequence for ID: 31479

You can tell which items are rejects by FluxBB by absence of the "does not match" text...

Update at 14:48 local time .... all eleven items are posted ... In one case, I reran WBA because the Internet threw a rogue wave that knocked the session for a loop.

The Inspector will run shortly ... I'm not expecting it to find anything.

Completed Sequence for ID: 31500

Starting Number: 31201

Last Number of Run: 31500

Summary for Web Automation Report for 03-15-2022 at 16:51:54

Total time of Processing: 01:49:51

As expected, the Inspector found no skips or deletes.

Tomorrow's run will try for 31800.

(th)

#2065 2022-03-16 07:25:45

tahanson43206

Today's Trail Breaker will try for 31800, and the Inspector will check the work.

Last night's (local) Linux Meeting was carried out on Zoom as usual...

The members (kindly) spent quite a bit of time helping me with a C++ venture I've undertaken ...

However, there was an unexpected turn of events, and a surprising discovery ...

One of the members offered to demonstrate a software service that allows one person to operate another person's computer...

Such technology has been available for a number of years for help desk support workers ... I've tried to stay away from it.

The specific software product demonstrated runs as a service ... all Internet traffic is back and forth between the servers owned by the software provider, so the issue of firewalls does not come up.

The service worked very well ... the remote operator was able to click on my screen, and to perform keyboard operations.

Because we were running Zoom at the same time, everyone was able to watch the demonstration.

However, we were then joined by another member who asked why we weren't using Zoom to perform that operation?

We were dumbfounded, because none of us had any idea that Zoom has quietly added a remote access feature.

Sure enough! We closed the remote support tool and activated the Zoom remote facility, and it worked perfectly.

The target has to grant permission for the actor to gain access.  That's a little detail that is important to understand.

It might be a bit unnerving to discover that running Zoom with someone else means that other person can control your computer.

I felt free to run these experiments because I have many plug-in modules with a variety of operating systems and data configurations.

For this meeting I had chosen a brand new Linux installation with the solftware needed for C++ support and nothing else.

Today's Trail Breaker will start shortly.

(th)

#2066 2022-03-16 11:19:00

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re Post Repair initiative ...

Trail Breaker 31800

Completed Sequence for ID: 31800

Starting Number: 31501

Last Number of Run: 31800

Summary for Web Automation Report for 03-16-2022 at 13:16:34
Average time of Loop from Main form: 00:00:38
8 Skip Exceptions were recorded.

Total time of Processing: 03:10:57

Nice! Only 8 skips ... each one takes several minutes to process

Completed Sequence for ID: 31516 - posted
Completed Sequence for ID: 31524 - posted
Completed Sequence for ID: 31581 - posted - Smiley
Completed Sequence for ID: 31600 - posted - did not see difference
Completed Sequence for ID: 31607 - posted
Completed Sequence for ID: 31633 - posted
Delay for long paste: 8 seconds
Completed Sequence for ID: 31661 - posted
Completed Sequence for ID: 31714 - posted
Finished updates at 13:52

13:16 >> 13:52 36 minutes / 8 >> 4+ minutes per post

The Inspector will run next ... I'm expecting a clean report ...

Update at 16:09 local time .. the Inspector just finished ...

Completed Sequence for ID: 31800

Starting Number: 31501

Last Number of Run: 31800

Summary for Web Automation Report for 03-16-2022 at 16:07:39

Total time of Processing: 01:49:10

There were no skips and no deletes. Clean run for today.

Tomorrow's Trail Breaker will try for 32100.

Re planning for April Audit:

A program to build an input file out of the collected logs for the first 30000 posts is started.

The program to be modified was last edited in October of last year.  I'm planning to add a new option to concatenate files given a list of input file names.  An operating system utility could do that, but the resulting sequence cannot be controlled. I want the sequence of posts to flow from 1 to 30,000, and the utility can do that.

(th)

#2067 2022-03-16 20:08:17

SpaceNut
Administrator

Good to see the zoom features are paying off for you and others.

#2068 2022-03-17 06:19:39

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut .... please consider notifying Executive Director James Burk of the existence of the remote control feature of Zoom.  We cannot assume he is familiar with it, because (I believe) it was added recently, without much fanfare.

This post is reserved for today's Post Repair runs ...

Update at 13:10 ... glum ... this day started off with a setup error...

The run was supposed to start at 31801 but I hit 0 instead of 1, so WBA repeated 30801-31000.

That was a waste of time, since that stretch has been updated and inspected.

As a side note ... the run ** did ** generate 12 skips due to mismatch between the text out of the Edit and the text delivered to the browser.  The program detected the mismatch and left the post in FluxBB MySQL alone, so no harm was done.  However, the incident ** is ** a reminder that work on the Auditor will be worth while, because it seems likely the error rate of 6 per 100 posts will hold for the earlier set of posts.

Then, as WBA turned the odometer over 32000, it hit a snag due to Internet congestion ...

Halt occurred on Post 32011, so i'll restart there.

Completed Sequence for ID: 32010

Starting Sequence for ID: 32011

Number of ID's processed: 210

Starting Number: 31801

Last Number of Run: 32100

Summary for Web Automation Report for 03-17-2022 at 13:16:13
6 Skip Exceptions were recorded.

Total time of Processing: 02:11:16

However, I'll take a look at the skips first ...

Skip report:
Completed Sequence for ID: 31859 posted
Completed Sequence for ID: 31915 posted
Completed Sequence for ID: 31920 posted
Completed Sequence for ID: 31977 - posted
Completed Sequence for ID: 31983 - posted
Completed Sequence for ID: 32010 - posted

I'll resume the Trail Breaker at 32011 where it left off ...

The Trailbreaker finished with a Green screen this time, but there were 6 skips ...

Completed Sequence for ID: 32100

Number of ID's processed: 90

Starting Number: 32011

Summary for Web Automation Report for 03-17-2022 at 14:43:39
6 Skip Exceptions were recorded.

Total time of Processing: 00:56:11

Total time Program was Active: 01:00:17

Skip report:
Delay for long paste: 0 seconds
Completed Sequence for ID: 32026 - posted
Completed Sequence for ID: 32031-posted
Completed Sequence for ID: 32041 - posted
Completed Sequence for ID: 32057 - posted
Completed Sequence for ID: 32072 - posted
Completed Sequence for ID: 32084 - posted

The Inspector will cover the same range shortly ... I'm not expecting any errors or problems.

Completed Sequence for ID: 32100

Starting Number: 31801

Summary for Web Automation Report for 03-17-2022 at 18:06:47

Total time of Processing: 01:49:00

Inspector found no problems.

Tomorrow's runs will cover 32101 - 32400

(th)

#2069 2022-03-18 11:20:34

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re Post Repair initiative ...

Trail Breaker just reached 32400 with a Green screen and 8 skips

Skip report:
Completed Sequence for ID: 32146 posted
Completed Sequence for ID: 32181 posted
Completed Sequence for ID: 32234 posted
Completed Sequence for ID: 32235 posted
Completed Sequence for ID: 32256 posted
Delay for long paste: 9 seconds
Completed Sequence for ID: 32307 - posted
Completed Sequence for ID: 32348
Completed Sequence for ID: 32392 - posted

Inspector will cover the same posts. I'm expecting a clean report.

Completed Sequence for ID: 32400

Starting Number: 32101

Last Number of Run: 32400

Summary for Web Automation Report for 03-18-2022 at 15:58:57

Total time of Processing: 01:49:22

Tomorrow's runs will try for 32700.

(th)

#2070 2022-03-18 20:25:40

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut ... congratulations ... the Active list went to two pages again today!

I liked your question about the cleaning/service robots in Large ship ... I don't foresee the ship ever de-spinning once it starts.

That's 5000 tons of mass... RobertDyck seems to think little gyroscopes in the central hub can spin the ship ... I think that is a figment of his imagination.

The real Universe will provide him with feedback when the time comes, so I'm not worrying about it now.

However, your question is a good one, even if the ship never despins, because the robots are not "attracted" to the floor ... they will stay there once they land, but unlike on Earth, if they accelerate anti-spinward, they will eventually be able to fly and navigate through the air.  They need to be able to perform that navigation successfully.

And! This brings up a point I'd not considered before .... if a mass inside the ship accelerates as described above, so that it is flying above the surface, how does that affect the mass distribution of the Large Ship?

We know that the circumference of Large Ship is 238 meters, and a point on that circumference covers that distance in 20 seconds.

The speed of that point relative to the outside universe is 238*3 meters per second, or 714 meters per second.

According to converter.ninja, that is 1597.173 miles per hour.

I don't think we need to worry about a passenger running fast enough to lift off the deck.

And we don't have to worry about a robot flying anywhere either.

Thanks for taking a look at the video of RobertDyck's presentation!  Your suggestion about adding a comment to the video is interesting.  I'll investigate tomorrow. I have created YouTube videos, but don't know if that is qualification to make a comment on someone else's video.

Tomorrow's Repair runs will attempt to reach 32700.

(th)

#2071 2022-03-19 06:55:18

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re Post Repair initiative...

The Trailbreaker to 32700 will start shortly...

Update at 13:39 local time ...

Completed Sequence for ID: 32700

Starting Number: 32401

Last Number of Run: 32700

Summary for Web Automation Report for 03-19-2022 at 13:40:23
Average time of Loop from Main form: 00:00:39
10 Skip Exceptions were recorded.

Total time of Processing: 03:13:49

Skip report:

Skip report:
Completed Sequence for ID: 32440 - posted
Completed Sequence for ID: 32451 - posted
Completed Sequence for ID: 32456 - posted
Completed Sequence for ID: 32457 - posted
Completed Sequence for ID: 32463 - posted
Delay for long paste: 18 seconds
Completed Sequence for ID: 32483 - posted
Completed Sequence for ID: 32642 - posted
Completed Sequence for ID: 32657 - posted
Completed Sequence for ID: 32674- posted
Completed Sequence for ID: 32676 - posted

The Inspector will start shortly and run for (about) two hours ... I am not expecting any defects.

Completed Sequence for ID: 32700

Starting Number: 32401

Last Number of Run: 32700

Summary for Web Automation Report for 03-19-2022 at 16:27:11

Total time of Processing: 01:48:55

Tomorrow's runs will try for 33000

(th)

#2072 2022-03-19 11:17:30

SpaceNut
Administrator

I would think that the account would allow for comments.

Once de-spin occurs you are now in micro-gravity same as the ISS.
If you set it in motion it will then bounce around as the robot can not control its movement as a human would.
They the robot will start out in this mode of needing to be secured while the station is moved from orbit and rotation is started.
Singular small mass movement probably is not of an issue, its the larger multi or large mass that we need to consider.

#2073 2022-03-19 11:39:04

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #2072...

While your post here seems to imply that a 5000 ton space vessel can be spun up and spun down at will, I expect that in the Real Universe, a ship that size will spin up and maintain spin throughout it's life time.

There is likely to be a sweet spot in ship's mass where it remains feasible to spin up and spin down at will.

I expect you (or others here) will be able to show that a 5000 ton mass is way too large to be spun up and down.

Therefore, the robots will NOT be needing to deal with zero gravity unless they are transported to a part of the ship where zero gravity prevails, which would be in the central hub.

(th)

#2074 2022-03-19 11:43:49

SpaceNut
Administrator

The ship is in its construction phase and not spinning as its on the elliptical loop not set for its escape speed that it will need.
Until that first use its still not spinning until its fully staffed and filled for use.

#2075 2022-03-19 12:30:18

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #2074

Good point about non-spinning during construction!

The robot systems definitely need to be tested thoroughly before gradual spinup begins.

This conversation suggests a topic dedicated to assembly and checkout of the ship.

No doubt there must be detailed procedures for assembly and checkout of existing cruise and container ships.

Good point!

(th)

Board footer