New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1376 2021-07-19 05:09:48

tahanson43206

Re: Housekeeping

For SpaceNut re ID Recovery

WBA reached 12100 last night.  It had one hiccup along the way.  it reported an Internet fault I've not seen before. The halt display on the browser was a message along the lines that the Internet was not accessible.  Apparently whatever delay occurred was so long that the timers build into the browser (or perhaps the operating system) expired.  I've spent a lot of time on the Internet and never seen that error, but WBA is spending hours at a time in it's simple repetitive task, and if a fault like that can occur then WBA is likely to find it.

Much more frequent are the delays in response from the server when a submit is transmitted. I can occasionally see that happening in real time, when the Smart Wait starts counting up retries, but the counts seldom climb above two or three.

Completed Sequence for ID: 12100

Total Command Lines found: 112
Total input Lines in script: 339
  Total input Lines in data: 511

Number of ID's processed: 85

Starting Number: 12016

Last Number of Run: 12100

Summary for Web Automation Report for 07-19-2021 at 07:00:58
Average time of Loop from Main form: 00:01:29
10 Date Exceptions were recorded.

Total time of Processing: 02:07:50

Total time Program was Active: 07:16:31

I've started work on Noah's paper.  I was happy to see that although Noah is focused upon a crew of 8 for his expedition plan, he does allow for as many as 22 people, which includes the magic number proposed by OF1939.

Something else that jumped out at me was Noah's attention to the moral responsibility  of the expedition planner. This is something we see indirectly in almost all of the writings of GW Johnson.  Since I am looking intently at Noah's work in hopes he will turn out to have the potential to become an actual expedition leader, early identification of awareness of moral responsibility is a good sign.

It's going to take me a while to complete the review.  I've cleared time for a work session every day until the paper is fully reviewed.  I don't know how long it will take.  There are cosmetic suggestions that I can transmit to Noah as soon as I find them.  Other reactions will require more thought.

The Mouse Trainer is close to ready for "production" ... there is a bit more touchup needed to increase its value to a prospective script writer, but I'm planning a live test of a script generated (in part) by the tool. 

Update at 13:30 local time ...

A test of output of the Mouse Trainer was disappointing ... The computed ratio between the coordinate systems did not work in a live test.  I thought the problem might be related to whether the browser is online or not, but that doesn't seem to be the case.  Obviously there is more to learn.

Update at 14:33 local time ... it finally hit me that the coordinate system grids may not be linear, as I had presumed at the outset.

The attempt of the current version of the Mouse Trainer, to discover a ratio between the systems does not seem to work.

The WBA scripts doing work for the ID Recovery were ** all ** determined manually.

The appear to be reliable between boots of the system, and regardless of whether the browser is on or off line.

Clearly, it's back to the drawing board ...

Afterthought ... the observed differences in ratios would make sense if the systems are not linear.

But even in the non-linearity (if that hypothesis is correct) there ** should ** be a discoverable second order relationship.

It would appear the Mouse Trainer is NOT ready for production, except insofar as it supports manual discovery of coordinates for particular targets.

At least it does do ** that **.

(th)

Last edited by tahanson43206 (2021-07-19 12:39:30)

#1377 2021-07-19 08:10:18

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re Blue Origin donation to Mars Society ...

RobertDyck seems to have run into difficulty securing data storage space on Mars Society servers. 

It might be possible to ask for a portion of the $1,000,000 donation from Blue Origin to free up dedicated storage space for NewMars forum?

(th)

#1378 2021-07-20 08:38:21

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re ID Recovery ...

WBA had one hiccup last night, but reached the goal:

Completed Sequence for ID: 12200

Total input Lines in data: 407

Number of ID's processed: 81

Starting Number: 12120

Last Number of Run: 12200

Summary for Web Automation Report for 07-20-2021 at 10:27:56
10 Date Exceptions were recorded.

Total time of Processing: 02:01:20

Total time Program was Active: 10:54:20

A breakthrough (of sorts) can be reported for Mouse Trainer ...

I modified the border finder loop to show ratios across the field in steps of 10, and vertically likewise.

The results were then fed into Excel, which generated a very nice bar graph showing what i suspected was happening. There is a steady progression upward in the ratios computed from left to right and top to bottom.

In other words, the two coordinate systems are NOT linear in their interaction with each other.

Of the two, i expect the virtual coordinate system of AACKeys is likely the one that has the drift.

It seems to me that the physical hardware MUST by linear across the monitors, for all sorts of reasons.

In thinking about the problem of the author of the virtual coordinate system, it occurs to me that their results may be showing the drift due to conversions from real numbers to integers needed to land on pixels.

In the end, it is now clear why each point to be entered by an operator into a script must be fine tuned.  The computed estimate is going to be off by some amount that increases the further the selected point is from the origin of the coordinate system.

Edit at 12:51 local time .... After pondering my discovery for a while, I ** think ** the situation might be expressed as:

1) The topography of the physical display of a computer is a plane. The topography might be other than a plane, but for commercial reasons, it is a plane.

2) The topography of the virtual coordinate system "created" mathematically by AACKeys is NOT a plane.

3) I ** think ** the topography may be a surface the cross section of which is a conic section that passes through zero.

If there is a member with posting privileges who would care to tackle derivation of the equation for the curve I've discovered, I'd be happy to provide the data points, or the procedure to find them.

If there is a forum reader not a member who would care to explore this subject on a computer to which they have access, here are the components:

1) Windows operating system (XP 32 >> Win 11 64)
2) AACKeys.exe (free for download)
3) Either Virtual Serial port or physical connection (Need to send serial data to AACKeys)

The experiment to be performed is:

1) Set up a mouse detector (I use a transparent form created by Visual Studio)
2) Click the mouse anywhere on the form and record the X and Y physical coordinates
3) Guess what coordinates might be close for AACKeys and send a position command.
   (The Dell used here has a generic ratio of 2.65)
4) Create a mechanism to retry the AACKeys position command until the cursor stands on the selected target
5) Compute the ratio between System X and AACKeys X, and the same for Y. Record them (send to file)
6) Repeat this sequence for enough points to be able to compute a surface
   (in my case, I have points in X by 10 and Y by 10 across the reference form)
7) Run the numbers through your chosen software

Send the results to the NewMars Portal.

And! If you're willing to go to all that trouble, why not apply for membership. Read Post #2 of Recruiting for procedure.

(th)

Last edited by tahanson43206 (2021-07-20 11:07:27)

#1379 2021-07-21 07:24:28

tahanson43206

The Internet was smooth as glass last night!  The stars were out and there were no icebergs in the way.

WBA reached 12300 without a hitch.

Completed Sequence for ID: 12300

Total input Lines in data: 326

Number of ID's processed: 100

Starting Number: 12201

Last Number of Run: 12300

Summary for Web Automation Report for 07-21-2021 at 06:49:12
7 Date Exceptions were recorded.

Total time of Processing: 02:30:07

Total time Program was Active: 08:55:35

The Mouse Trainer mathematical situation reported yesterday turns out to have a perfectly logical explanation.

The local Linux user group met on Zoom again last night, and one of the members studied math in college before he dove full speed into Computer Science.  He instantly recognized the situation I had observed.

In the "olden days" when the AACKeys program was written, computers had vacuum tube screens, using a technology called Cathode Ray (something) .... the idea was to heat a filament until electrons boiled off, and then to accelerate those particles toward a glass screen coated with phosphor.

Last night's meeting attendee reminded the audience that in those days, CRT monitors were NOT flat, so the curvature of the screen would have had to have been taken into account by the program authors.

When the algorithm for a curved screen is projected onto a flat (LED) screen, the distortion can be observed through mathematical analysis.  Interestingly, the distortion has no effect upon the intended purpose of the program, which is to assist computer users who use appliances to access the screen.

Now that I know what i'm (likely) up against, I have a sense of what kind of equation might describe the behavior observed. 
I've started work on Noah's paper.  I decided the best way to approach this is to print it out, so I did that yesterday.

My concept in approaching this opportunity is to see if Noah may have what it takes to become an expedition leader, and not just a planner, important as that responsibility is.

The great explorers of human history were both gifted planners and leaders with the ability to bring their team members through challenging circumstances alive, albeit often damaged physically and psychologically.

It the modern age, it seems to me that it should be possible to design an expedition to Mars with sufficient care that the team members will return home not only alive, but healthy and happy.

I get the sense from the opening lines of Noah's paper that he may have the character traits that would be needed for the leader of a successful expedition.

We shall see.

Update at 13;01 local time

100 more usernames have been pulled from the candidates pool and verified as in the Bans table.

Update at 14:11 local time

The tip from the Linux meeting led to a visit with Wikipedia, which contained a detail about screen curvature:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cathode-ray_tube

. The radius (curvature) of screens has increased (grown less curved) over time, from 30 to 68 inches, ultimately evolving into completely flat screens, reducing reflections. The thickness of both curved[164] and flat screens graudally increases from the center outwards, and with it, transmittance is gradually reduced. This means that flat-screen CRTs may not be completely flat on the inside.[164][165

These figures provide a starting point for (potentially) matching the data points collected recently. 

(th)

Last edited by tahanson43206 (2021-07-21 12:14:29)

#1380 2021-07-21 21:03:25

SpaceNut
Administrator

Was able to fit in clearing the next 100 in the 9001 through 9100 unbanning and these are now in the user list ready for use.

#1381 2021-07-21 21:28:28

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #1380

Congratulations on polishing those 100 ID's!  They're standing tall!

The Internet was choppy this evening.  WBA gave up after only 15 ID's ... I'll restart it shortly.

Update at 11:26 the next day ...

WBA completed a run to 12400, but not without difficulty.  The Date spread had been set at 1300 after your decision to ignore logins by individual spammers if they did not post any messages.  Last night I found that a couple of the banned ID's had logged in as recently as 2021.  To solve that problem I set the date spread to 9999, and will continue that setting for the remaining series of runs.

Completed Sequence for ID: 12400

Total input Lines in script: 341
  Total input Lines in data: 277

Number of ID's processed: 28

Starting Number: 12373

Last Number of Run: 12400

Summary for Web Automation Report for 07-22-2021 at 11:17:35
Average time of Loop from Main form: 00:01:27
4 Date Exceptions were recorded.

Total time of Processing: 00:42:28

Total time Program was Active: 01:07:49

The daily update run of 100 Usernames depends upon a pool of well vetted candidates.

The pool has been shrinking, so yesterday I started a vetting run to stay ahead of the updates.

The vetting run is done during the day, since it imposes a light burden upon FluxBB and the server.

Update at 12:23 local time ...

A vetting run to collect 51 more Usernames with zero posts who are in the Bans table completed.

The vetted pool is now rounded up to 300.  The candidates pool is still above 5,000.

We ** may ** have 53 days of updates ahead, but that is not guaranteed, because it takes time for you (SpaceNut) to manually inspect all those candidates, and the Update series may catch up with you.

If/when that happens, we'll just adjust to your schedule.

(th)

Last edited by tahanson43206 (2021-07-22 10:27:22)

#1382 2021-07-22 20:35:57

SpaceNut
Administrator

I got 9101 through 9300 covered in unban function to continue with id recovery conversion.
They now await real users that want to talk space and lots of other topics.

#1383 2021-07-23 04:35:33

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re ID Recovery

Congratulations on polishing 200 ID's last night!  That's a lot of work!

WBA had a hiccup on the second ID, but then finished the next 99 Id's without further difficulty.

I suspect it choked because I moved the equipment slightly.  Setup for a run consists of a test of one record, followed by release of the full run.  Any inadvertent movements of the mouse can cause a halt, because the mouse is under the control of the program at that point.

Completed Sequence for ID: 12500

Total input Lines in data: 299

Number of ID's processed: 99

Starting Number: 12402

Last Number of Run: 12500

Summary for Web Automation Report for 07-23-2021 at 06:20:15
5 Date Exceptions were recorded.

Total time of Processing: 02:29:17

Total time Program was Active: 09:40:04

I was glad to see kbd512's post to Mr. Heisler.  Per your advice I've stayed out of that situation.
Vetting of the next 100 candidates will start shortly.

Update at 7:55 local time ... a scan of 100 usernames only turned up 73 that are in the bans table.

I may have found the point where you left off in your manual banning operation.

I'll start another run to look out 1000 usernames, to see if there might be some qualified names.

this is a light load on the server.  It will run for several hours (estimate: 1000*24/3600) 7 hours or so

Update at 16:40

For SpaceNut (primarily - all welcome if interested) ....  The scan of the next 1000 usernames came up dry ...

I've retired that 1000 from the candidates pool and will try again tomorrow. 

I find it reassuring that the controls you have put into place seem to be working well.  The program reliably skipped over members you have not banned.

(th)

Last edited by tahanson43206 (2021-07-23 14:43:08)

#1384 2021-07-23 14:55:06

tahanson43206

This post in Housekeeping is about the quality of discussion in the forum recently ...

The archive of the forum shows many serious discussions, as well as some (comparatively) light repartee.

I note with some awe how the group who remain active are tackling some major issues of the day ...

In order for the human race to gain permanent access to off-Earth resources, we (humans) MUST master our OWN weaknesses.

We MUST master powerful and dangerous technologies (nuclear, chemical, biological) and SOMEHOW manage to raise our children so they can be entrusted with the responsibility of managing those technologies ... not for a year or two, but FOR EVER !!!

In one of his many noteworthy posts, kbd512 recently summarized the success of the human race (to this point) in selecting offspring to accept responsibility for planet-killing technologies.

There is absolutely NO guarantee we (humans) will be successful going forward.

I note with some interest that the United States is experimenting with giving powerful weapons to teenagers.

This is happening (as nearly as I can tell) in every state.

The interactions between individuals that might have been settled with fists in past decades are now settled with gunfire.

I've seen reports recently of individuals firing weapons in random directions while doing wheelies in an automobile.

In the city where I live, I witnessed an individual doing a wheelie on an ATV in a major city street, and was not surprised to find in the next day's newspaper a call for city leaders to enact prohibitions against this behavior.

But (I ask) how is it possible that the citizens of this (reasonably large) city have managed to raise young people who would engage in such behavior in the first place.

(th)

#1385 2021-07-23 15:59:14

kbd512
Administrator

tahanson43206,

Our children fight our wars and kill our enemies.  Whether or not we trust them with the burden we force them to bear is a question that we should be asking ourselves, not them.  Incidentally, we've been experimenting with giving guns to kids long before I was born.  Every truck at the High School I attended had a gun rack and deer rifle in the cab.  Before they banned them from school grounds, nobody was ever shot or even threatened with one of those rifles while I was in school.  After school the boys would go out and hunt deer.  It was fun for everyone, but kept the poorer ones from starving.  Behavior is almost entirely a matter of parenting and the consistency of society's enforcement of behavioral standards.  There are some kids who will misbehave no matter how they're parented, but enough consistent punishment over time convinces all but the most bone-headed amongst them to think before they act.

Uncle Sam putting a rifle in my hands didn't transform me into some mindless robotic killing machine.  I was the same person before, during, and after my military service.  My personal opinion about the utility of weapons didn't change before or after my time in the Navy.  A firearm is a tool, and just like any other power tool it can be dangerous or even deadly in untrained or undisciplined hands.  In the same way that I don't hand the keys to our car to my children and tell them to go have fun, I ensure that they treat weapons with the respect they deserve.  For every right or privilege exercised, there is a corollary duty to act responsibly and to not trample upon the rights of others.

Beyond that, criminals have been carrying weapons since the dawn of humanity.  They don't care about whether or not you trust your neighbors with weapons more than you trust them.  They're going to carry weapons no matter what you think, and nothing you attempt to do will ever stop them from doing that.  Murder carries the death penalty here in Texas, yet there's no shortage of criminals who will murder with impunity until someone else with the means and will to do so decide to stop them, and the death penalty has not proven to be any kind of deterrent.  The only thing that actual violent criminals have stated would give them pause before deciding to commit another crime against someone is whether or not the person they intend to victimize is armed and capable of fighting back.  I care enough about the survival of my own children to teach them how to fight back and to give them effective means to do so.  Unless you want the very worst of humanity to inherit the Earth, then teaching your children to respect each other and arming them to fight back against those who don't is your only long-term viable option.

That used to be common knowledge and also considered common sense.  Now it's increasingly become uncommon sense that a growing number of people seem to lack.  I do not blame the children for having never been taught any better by the adults.

#1386 2021-07-23 19:50:31

SpaceNut
Administrator

first paragraph in post 1385 was the same here in the north...

second paragraph just as true coming back form the wars that we sent men to when they could barely smoke let along drink...

The problem that the 3rd paragraph speaks to is those that use the guns for ill purposes of which how do we keep them out of those which have this intent on there mind?

This song comes to mind
https://www.stlyrics.com/songs/c/crosby … 61811.html

I see a boy of fourteen, he's got a rifle in his hand.
He's dying to defend his desert land.
He's got an arm around his father, another arm around his gun.
Must the child in the father die so young?

There's a teenage girl in Belfast, playing in the street.
Her brother plays a different game and he's turning up the heat
On the soldiers around the corner and the powers overseas.
And who are they to ruin lives like these?

#1387 2021-07-24 04:58:46

tahanson43206

For kbd512 re developing the next generation ... thanks for your thoughts on this important subtopic (for Earth and Mars)  I need to take time to reread your post(s) related to this.  You have written more than once along these lines.

For SpaceNut ... thanks for the reminder of the "Troubles" and their lasting impact ... there are some members of the current generation who are experimenting with keeping the "tradition" going a bit longer.

WBA had a smooth run over glassy seas and a full Moon last night.  My reward after one of these is a bright green screen instead of an angry red one.

Completed Sequence for ID: 12600

Total input Lines in data: 273

Number of ID's processed: 100

Starting Number: 12501

Last Number of Run: 12600

Summary for Web Automation Report for 07-24-2021 at 06:47:04
Average time of Loop from Main form: 00:01:30
12 Date Exceptions were recorded.

Total time of Processing: 02:30:50

Total time Program was Active: 08:37:56

I'll start another scan of 1,000 usernames, looking for ones that are both in the users table and the bans table.

(th)

#1388 2021-07-24 11:12:15

SpaceNut
Administrator

just clear 9301 through to 9400 from the converted ban list back in the user list.

#1389 2021-07-24 15:02:26

tahanson43206

Congratulations on the latest mini-milestone! 

Just FYI ... I've been scanning ahead to find usernames that are qualified for Update.

In the past two days I've reviewed 2,201 usernames that have zero posts but are not in the Bans table. None of these are in the Bans table.  I still have 173 qualified names to update, so I'll be out of work in two days.

There are 3,000 usernames left to review, and I'll scan 1000 per day.  I expect there are a few names that will show up past the TestID group.

If kbd512 had time to help (and I have no idea either way) perhaps you could teach him how to finalize the TestID's?

You are the only person qualified to decide if a username should be banned.

(th)

Last edited by tahanson43206 (2021-07-24 15:06:28)

#1390 2021-07-24 16:35:11

SpaceNut
Administrator

Just dumped from the mid letter I through to mid letter J for the conversion. to useable accounts for the future into the banned list and did a reset on the spamming accounts back to zero which had been set...

#1391 2021-07-24 17:00:58

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re new candidates!   Thanks for taking the time to provide some fresh usernames!

I've saved the primary file so can re-run it when it is time to start over.  I'll finish off the scan of the remaining 3000 to pick up all Bans over TestID's.

After that, I'll come back and pick up the new usernames you've provided.

The real work on the spammers happens when you ban them.  The rest is preparing them for re-use.

Update at 19:33 .... There are about 700 usernames in the "I" "J" group !! Thanks! 

Update at 22:00 just before starting update run ...

Insurance (the word) is NOT included in any topics .... it seems to me it would be an essential component of any social system on Mars, comparable in importance to Medical care or Banking.

At the very list, this is an opportunity to add it to My Hacienda as an essential specialization.

(th)

Last edited by tahanson43206 (2021-07-24 20:02:53)

#1392 2021-07-25 05:47:59

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re ID Recovery ....

WBA must have had a smooth run last night ... 12700 showed up in the Userlist this morning.

Your update to 9400 for finished ID's will look good in the Recruiting topic!

I'm planning a long run today to scan as many of the pending Usernames left from the most recent batch as will fit into a day.

Each one takes about 25 seconds.

Thanks again for providing a fresh set of candidates at the low end of the Alphabet.

Update at 8:14 local time ... a scan of 2000 of the remaining 3000 candidates is underway.  It should finish before the normal start time for WBA updates.

If no usernames pop out for update (as I expect) I'll run Update on the last 73 of the current batch.

I am impressed/encouraged/surprised/delighted by the happy circumstance of the interaction between Louis and Terraformer in Louis' new topic about poverty on Mars.  In thinking about the two polar opposite points of view they've defined, I realized that they may have identified a critical set of human traits that can be tested for in considering candidates for Mars.  I'm very much looking forward to seeing how the debate unfolds in this important new topic!

(th)

Last edited by tahanson43206 (2021-07-25 06:19:54)

#1393 2021-07-25 09:35:32

SpaceNut
Administrator

Have started looking at the options for the subaru in the EV kit or home grown conversion to battery operated.

https://www.i-club.com/forums/newbie-fa … er-232992/
https://www.subaruforester.org/threads/ … ead.94505/

http://www.uklegacy.com/forums/index.ph … brid-kits/

This one shows cost for newer cars
https://www.evwest.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=40
ouch...

This one has the drag power equations
https://www.diyelectriccar.com/threads/ … ion.81356/

https://driving.ca/auto-news/news/elect … an-ev-easy

https://www.treehugger.com/converting-y … le-4858603

Lots of research to do and then to look at what is financially possible.

#1394 2021-07-25 10:30:31

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #1393

There is another way to look at this situation ... you are building marketable skills and knowledge as you proceed along this path.

GW Johnson has reported on his experiences helping a friend who runs a repair shop.   It is possible that as you gain knowledge (and perhaps experience) you may find yourself in possession of ability that someone might be willing to trade actual value to receive from you.

However, as a reminder ... since you have an asset that has monetary value if you donate it to a charity, you can (in effect) insure a bonus in tax season, by donating the Subaru while it is running and able to pass inspection.    What you need from the charity is a letter asserting (to the IRS) that at the time of of the donation, the vehicle was worth Blue Book value.  The charity can then sell the vehicle at a lower price, so the buyer can invest in a replacement engine.

You include a copy of the letter with your tax return next year

In that scenario, everyone comes out ahead.  Congress set up these provisions ** precisely ** for situations like this.

caveat: Please consult your tax attorney to confirm the suggestion on offer here.

(th)

Last edited by tahanson43206 (2021-07-25 10:35:08)

#1395 2021-07-25 14:33:23

SpaceNut
Administrator

Well a vehicle with a check engine light and one that needs replacing has a scrap value around $300 and if sold as is maybe you might get double but there is nothing to deduct for taxation since all of the non profits stopped taking vehicles long ago.

Yes the vehicle otherwise have an inspect able body and other driving elements that make it possible to be saved under the right conditions financially.

Another possible is to find a salvage vehicle to be used as a donor parts for fixing the vehicle or find one that is a hybrid that was damaged ect....
https://driving.ca/column/collector-cla … -treatment

https://www.diyelectriccar.com/threads/ … ion.74393/

CONTACTS: EV West, www.evwest.com;  Zelectric Motors, zelectricmotors.com; Make Mine Electric, makemineelectric.com; Electric Vehicles of Washington, www.electricvehicleswa.com; Epic Car Conversions, epiccarconversions.com; Green Shed Conversions, greenshedconversions.com; EVRater, evrater.com/build-your-own-ev; Mechanic Doctor, www.themechanicdoctor.com/convert-car-electric-vehicle; EV4U Workshops, ev4unow.com/EVWorkshops.html; Canadian Electric Vehicles, canev.com; Electro Automotive, electroauto.com; Wilderness Electric Vehicles, e-volks.com; EV Source, evsource.com; Metric Mind Corporation, metricmind.com; EV Drive, evdrive.com.

#1396 2021-07-25 20:29:21

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re Subaru EV conversion

I found a collection of discussions on this subject, when I asked Google if anyone had thought about converting the 2008 Subaru Outback ... There were a number of discussions although 2008 did not come up (as I recall). Comments I noted were about the weight of the vehicle as a consideration, and difficulty working with the transmission. However, the figure of 18 inches for a motor came up. 

Interestingly, one inquiry had to do with using a chain or belt to solve the problem of connecting to the transmission, and one of the authors counseled against that. 

if you do decide to go down this path, it will be quite interesting for a small number of forum members, but you don't need a huge audience for something like that.

The Scan of 2000 Usernames just finished, after running all day. (13:52:04 to be exact)

Out of all those names, only one showed up as eligible for upgrade, so I'll include in tonight's run, for a total of 74.

That username is: svusafmeitagcth

I'll start tonight's update shortly.

(th)

#1397 2021-07-25 20:37:43

SpaceNut
Administrator

Ah working on the group past the T's ok will look at what is there at some point.

just finished putting 9401 through 9500 in the books for use once more.

page 113 at the bottom is the current letter t starting point
with the first testid beginning on 115 with the last occurring on page 369 current before tonight's converting.
The last user id is on page 393 … so plenty more to convert

#1398 2021-07-26 06:56:14

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re ID recovery...

Nice to see the 9500 milestone! 

The WBA will pause at 12774 ... I'm running the scan of the last 1000 candidates now, and will have results later today.

This scan will pick up the tail end of the Alphabet before I start over with your new additions at the low end.

Nice to see the new topic created by Mars_B4_Moon ... I like the hint of "Scientific American" flavor to the topic.

The prospect of a gravity detector on the Moon is interesting.  I wonder if (not having read the link yet) if the detector would work in conjunction with the two existing detectors on Earth, to increase the size of the detection array, and provide for greater precision in identifying the direction of signals.

One concern that pops into mind is that such a detector would presumably depend upon quiet, and quiet is NOT what we can expect as the Moon receives the attention of entrepreneurs who will (hopefully) be mining, building, launching and in numerous other ways making noise on the Moon.

Update at 14:19 local time... The scan of the last 1000 candidates (from the high end of the Alphabet) yielded 222 Verified Usernames go go into tonight's run! 

Work on the Mouse Trainer is progressing ... The new feature to Pin a location after it has been Targeted by the operator is coming together.  I'm adapted code written to find the borders of the Reference Frame.  The first draft is finished and I'm about to begin a (hopefully thorough) desk check before I try it on the Dell.

(th)

Last edited by tahanson43206 (2021-07-26 12:24:53)

#1399 2021-07-26 19:55:43

SpaceNut
Administrator

Made it through the next 100 starting at 9501 through to 9600 for the nights homework.
They are now in the user list...

#1400 2021-07-26 20:08:09

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #1399

Congratulations on putting the marker at 9600!  You're just a few days from that ** big ** marker!

I'm planning to upgrade just 26 usernames tonight ... That'll put the process back on the even 100's.

Thanks (again) for the tip about using Google to search inside a web site.

I got a kick out of the modem sounds ... I still have a US Robotics modem in one of my systems that dates back ca 2000, but it's been a long time since there was a number to call. 

the update run to 12800 finished without a hiccup last night ...

Completed Sequence for ID: 12800 (working in the "t" section)

Total input Lines in data: 222

Number of ID's processed: 26

Starting Number: 12775

Last Number of Run: 12800

Summary for Web Automation Report for 07-27-2021 at 07:42:27
Average time of Loop from Main form: 00:01:28
3 Date Exceptions were recorded.

Total time of Processing: 00:39:46

Total time Program was Active: 09:06:17

Next I'll run the Verify process to pick up the new Bans.  Thanks again for taking the time to make them available.

(th)

Last edited by tahanson43206 (2021-07-27 05:53:29)

Board footer